Congratulations! We just finished our Summer 2017 online Bible study “Overwhelmed: How to Quiet the Chaos and Restore Your Sanity” by Kathi Lipp and Cheri Gregory! We had over 2,000 women join us this summer and we made some new friends and lifetime memories. We’d like to thank our amazing volunteer team led by Sonya Morris-Nelson. These leaders showed up week after week, prayed for each of you by name, and engaged in meaningful conversations. We were equally blessed by our students as they prayed for our leaders.
Now that you’ve finished the Overwhelmed book, I encourage you to read it again (and again). You’ve heard me say this before- I’ve read the book three times and each time I see the bigger picture pull together. What I mean is this: the manifesto may be lingering on your back burner of things to do. The plate exercise may be something you want to see visually, making your own plates and stacking the tasks under each role. Your project map may seem complicated the first time you attempt one, and then the second time a lightbulb goes off and you understand it. But if the book sits on a shelf, unopened and unloved, then soon your past will creep back into your planners and your overwhelm will reinfect your life once again. I challenge you NOT to let that happen.
Missionary Mom Stasia Nielsen shared this summary with us:
- Being organized helps keep you from being overwhelmed and frazzled.
- Planning helps you stay organized
- The enemy WANTS you feeling frazzled and feeling shame
- God has great grace for each of us.
- WE can make positive statements about ourselves and keep ourselves on tract.
- We do not have to feel as if we need to do it all.
- We can set aside our perfectionism.
- Resting is important
- Knowing personal triggers can help me manage my emotions and life better
- I need to affirm myself more, I am too hard on myself.
The common thread in her summary is CHOICE.
Another great discussion we’re having this week in our groups is the topic of Sabbath Rest. Procrastination gets in my way, as I pile tasks and then spend the Sabbath working on the pile so Monday has a fresh start. Because of this study, I made a choice towards intentional Sabbath rest. So my weekend task pile took half a day instead of a full day and I enjoyed a half-Sabbath. I am working myself up to a full 24 hours of intentional Sabbath rest.
We need to seek spiritual rest.. which is why Sabbath (any day of the week) is a blessing for us. Cease to be busy… once a week. If you feel that Sabbath = church and can’t break the childhood teaching, then get a podcast on and watch or listen for an hour before your Sabbath resting. Your CHOICE. What needs to happen for you to observe a Sabbath once a month? Twice a month? and eventually 4 times a month? Pray on that.
We don’t take a Sabbath because we are exhausted, or sick in bed.
We take a Sabbath because we planned one.
Last week Kathi Lipp and Cheri Gregory created a Facebook Live video “How to Start Your New Systems with Confidence”- if you missed it here’s a replay!
USEFUL TIPS for online Bible study
We need your help! We’ve really grown in size (from 14 women to 200,000 women) and our costs have grown too. Please visit and share the Go Fund Me page for WomensBibleCafe. The money raised will be used to obtain non-profit status so we’re able to collect tax deductible donations- THANK YOU!! https://www.gofundme.com/
- If you’re behind on the reading, don’t quit and give up! These are easy chapters to read, it will take 30 minutes to read two chapters.
- Companion Study Guides are optional for this summer study, so please don’t feel they must be completed and turned in for a grade. They are very helpful and take about 30 minutes once a week to complete.
- If you miss a Facebook live, the videos are always available to watch anytime online. Find them on our page at http://facebook.com/WomensBibleCafe or on Cheri Gregory or Kathi Lipp’s Facebook page.
ASSIGNMENT FOR THIS WEEK
- Register for our next study “Discerning the Voice of God” Updated Edition by Priscilla Shirer https://www.womensbiblecafe.com/2017/08/voice-of-god-register/
- Write a book review for “Overwhelmed” on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, GoodReads and other sites
- DISCUSS: Meet and Greet! <– join a discussion group once a week!
BONUS: COMPANION STUDY GUIDE- Click the links below for PDF
We will share a new study guide lesson once a week. Author Cheri Gregory is an educator and does not give out her lesson plans in advance. She wants us to complete the lesson before a new one is published. Print these out and put into a binder so you don’t lose them.
- Chapters 1 and 2 https://cherigregory.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Overwhelmed-WBC-Intro-Part-1-Ch1-Ch2.pdf
- Chapters 3 and 4 https://cherigregory.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Overwhelmed-WBC-Ch3-Ch4.pdf
- Chapters 5 and 6 https://cherigregory.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Overwhelmed_WBC_Ch5_Ch6_Study_Guide.pdf
- Chapters 7 and 8 https://cherigregory.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/Overwhelmed_WBC_Ch7_Ch8.pdf
- Chapters 9 and 10 https://cherigregory.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/Overwhelmed_WBC_Ch9_Ch10.pdf
- Chapters 11 and 12 https://cherigregory.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/Overwhelmed_WBC_Ch11_Ch12.pdf
- Chapters 13 and 14 https://cherigregory.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/Overwhelmed_WBC_Ch_13_Ch_14.pdf
- Chapters 15 and 16 https://cherigregory.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/Overwhelmed_WBC_Ch15_Ch16.pdf
In the same way, some think one day is more holy than another day, while others think every day is alike. You should each be fully convinced that whichever day you choose is acceptable. Those who worship the Lord on a special day do it to honor him. Those who eat any kind of food do so to honor the Lord, since they give thanks to God before eating. And those who refuse to eat certain foods also want to please the Lord and give thanks to God. For we don’t live for ourselves or die for ourselves. If we live, it’s to honor the Lord. And if we die, it’s to honor the Lord. So whether we live or die, we belong to the Lord. Christ died and rose again for this very purpose—to be Lord both of the living and of the dead. Romans 14:5-9 NLT
All glory to God-
To get these weekly Bible study updates make sure you subscribe: https://www.womensbiblecafe.com/newsletter/