Right now in Summer Bible Study we’re meeting women around the world through online discussion groups. We’ve been on a journey to move our calendars from chaos to calm. We’re reading“Overwhelmed: How to Quiet the Chaos and Restore the Sanity” by Kathi Lipp and Cheri Gregory. We’re now on week five and women are still joining us on the journey because it’s a game-changer! You can read the book with us as a group and join a discussion any day of the week, or you can read independently and discuss here on our website (or with local friends).
Even if you’re not one of the 2,000 women in our current study at the Womens Bible Cafe™ I want to encourage you to pick up this book and read it. Because the end result is that you’ll have more time for Sabbath rest and more time for personal Bible study. As you work through the PROCESS of self-discovery you’ll see priorities shift into primary calendar slots and unimportant tasks slide “off the plate.” You’ll learn how to manage your time-plate with a demitasse saucer, dinner plate, or turkey platter.
Personally, I work from home so I’m in the office 7 days a week, usually 10 hours a day. Having a pre-decision about my office hours and Sabbath rest will balance my spiritual life with more time for personal study. When I read this book the first time it struck me that we will not feel GUILTY for a day of rest. We often think, “If I have work to do then I can’t rest until it’s done.” Now we realize this is nonsense, right? We should not feel guilty for a day of rest to restore our health, a day of Sabbath worship to celebrate God, and then 5 days of productive work. In small group I met some nurses working 12 hour shifts, and now they’re in a process to rearranging their errand days and pre-plan things such as meals and household chores.
After printing my Overwhelmed planner, I played with it for about a month using a 3-ring binder. It was an ugly binder but the planner was super functional and I know it’s something I’ll continue using daily. So this weekend I went to a local office store and bought an ARC “discbound” planner system, with a beautiful cover. Now I can insert the Overwhelmed planner pages and rip-them-out as needed and I’m a happy planner girl! What I don’t need are more planners that are never used. But I do need the SYSTEMS that keep me from overwhelm. Covers and tabs are the skeletal system of my planner, while the Overwhelmed pages are the muscle and circulatory system.
Last week Kathi Lipp created a Facebook Live video “Completely Overwhelmed by Clutter? Do these 7 things now!”- if you missed it here’s a replay!
USEFUL TIPS for online Bible study
Encouragement: you may not get the methods and systems the first time you read the Overwhelmed book. So go back like I did and read it again once you have the bigger picture, it makes sense!
- A coach once taught me “If you can have a perfect day from 8am to noon, then nothing else you do matters that day.” So I set that expectation for myself with mini goals/ now micro cards.
- If you miss a Facebook live, the videos are always available to watch anytime online. Find them on our page at http://facebook.com/WomensBibleCafe or on Cheri Gregory’s Facebook page.
ASSIGNMENT FOR THIS WEEK
- Pray before you begin, and also pray for our ministry leaders and the book authors.
- Read Chapter 11: “Just Put Your Big Girl Panties On” vs. Practicing Self-Care (in a World That Couldn’t Care Less
- Read Chapter 12: “Just Wing It” vs. Cultivating Peace with a Plan
- Work on your personal manifestos, micro cards, project plans, and planners!
- DISCUSS: Meet and Greet! <– join a discussion group once a week!
BONUS: COMPANION STUDY GUIDE- Click the links below for PDF
We will share a new study guide lesson once a week. Author Cheri Gregory is an educator and does not give out her lesson plans in advance. She wants us to complete the lesson before a new one is published. Print these out and put into a binder so you don’t lose them.
- Chapters 1 and 2 https://cherigregory.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Overwhelmed-WBC-Intro-Part-1-Ch1-Ch2.pdf
- Chapters 3 and 4 https://cherigregory.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Overwhelmed-WBC-Ch3-Ch4.pdf
- Chapters 5 and 6 https://cherigregory.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Overwhelmed_WBC_Ch5_Ch6_Study_Guide.pdf
- Chapters 7 and 8 https://cherigregory.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/Overwhelmed_WBC_Ch7_Ch8.pdf
- Chapters 9 and 10 https://cherigregory.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/Overwhelmed_WBC_Ch9_Ch10.pdf
- Chapters 11 and 12 https://cherigregory.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/Overwhelmed_WBC_Ch11_Ch12.pdf
The plans of the diligent lead surely to abundance,
but everyone who is hasty comes only to poverty.
Proverbs 21:5 ESV
All glory to God-
To get these weekly Bible study updates make sure you subscribe: https://www.womensbiblecafe.com/newsletter/