Wilkin teaches that God is the reference point for understanding the Scriptures and “If our reading of the Bible focuses our eyes on anyone other than God, we have gotten backwards the transformation process.” She admits that her words will cause discomfort in the reader and may even be offensive.
Wilkin identifies these different methods of Bible study:
- The Xanax Approach: which treats the Bible as if it exists to make us feel better.
The Pinball Approach: Lacking a preference or any guidance about what to read, I read whatever Scripture I happen to turn to.
- The Magic 8 Ball Approach: I give my Bible a vigorous shake and open it. Placing my finger blindly on a verse, I then read it to see if “signs point to yes.”
- The Personal Shopper Approach (a.k.a. the Topical Bible Study): I want to know about being a godly woman or how to deal with self-esteem issues, but I don’t know where to find verses about that, so I let [insert famous Bible teacher here] do the legwork for me.
- The Telephone Game Approach: we read books about the Bible instead of reading the Bible itself.
- The Jack Sprat Approach: I take this approach when I engage in “picky eating” with the Word of God. I read the New Testament, but other than Psalms and Proverbs, I avoid the Old Testament, or I read books with characters, plots, or topics I can easily identify with.
Source: Jen Wilkin
I’m not a fan of right vs wrong books and clearly this is one of those books. In order to strengthen her points, she often puts down the other study formats and methods. A new Christian might find the method offensive or perhaps confusing, even doubting her previous attempts at Bible study. However the overall book is loving and written in a teaching format for deeper study. My belief is that a Bible student needs to find a study that she understands and through spiritual growth she will be naturally drawn to different methods over time.
Women of the Word: How to Study the Bible with Both Our Hearts and Our Minds
My Amazon Rating 3/5
To order a Kindle Version CLICK HERE
To order a Printed Version CLICK HERE