WEEK FOUR – A WALK INTO DEATH THAT BRINGS FORGIVENESS
Welcome to online Bible study at the Womens Bible Cafe! Can you believe we are already halfway through our study? This week we are discussing Week Four, “A Walk into Death that Brings Forgiveness” from the workbook Covenant by Kay Arthur. Our weekly lessons included:
- O, Lord God, What? How?
- Walking Through the Pieces
- A Walk Into Death
- A Walk Through the Rent Veil
- Life Through Death
I had a dream the other night. I was all alone driving my car to pick up my granddaughter on Saturday morning. All of a sudden, everything went dark, I could not see through the thick darkness, nor would my headlights work and my inside car lights would not turn on. I thought I was blind….I was lost… I could not find my way. Fear gripped me! And then I woke up. The first thought that crossed my mind when I opened my eyes was “Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil.” The fear that paralyzed me moments before I opened my eyes immediately faded. We are powerless in the shadow of death; however, Jesus Christ overcame death through the power of His resurrection. Our walk into death leads to life with Him. We have nothing to fear, but fear itself.
“I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me” (Gal. 2:20).
What are you afraid of today? Spend time with God confessing your fears. He already knows what’s on your heart, but He wants to hear from you personally.
ASSIGNMENT FOR THE WEEK:
- Join a small group and fellowship with your fellow Bible students!
- Basic Study: Complete Week 5 in the Covenant workbook, about 20-30 minutes each day.
- Optional due to cost: Watch Session 5 video or listen to the audio and follow along in your workbook on page 107.
- Write a letter to God confessing _____________________. Fill in the blank. This is personal just between you and God. You can write this in the margin of your workbook or in your journal.
- Digging Deeper: Do a word study on “the veil” (Hebrews 10:20). Locate other Scriptures on the “veil.” Use the resources at www.blueletterbible.org. Instructions on how to use this tool is included in “Files” in the WBC Covenant chat room. Write down all that you discover about the veil. You will be so excited what you discover.
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR THIS WEEK (answer in small groups or post a comment here)
- Kay Arthur writes that the “God of the universe chooses us despite our frailties and then exalts Himself through those weaknesses.” Think of a time when you were at your weakest point. How did God exalt Himself through your weakness? What was the result? (Page 90)
- Covenant is seen as a walk into death–death to living for oneself. Is there a “walk into death” for us? If so, what does this look like in your personal life? Where would it lead? (Page 97-102)
- Study the diagram on page 106. What is the significance of the veil? (Pages 100-101)
- What is your biggest take away from the lesson this week?
Bonus Question: If you knew that suffering went with believing on Jesus Christ (Phil. 1:29), would you still want to enter into the new covenant? Why or why not? (Page 105)