Welcome back to our third week of online Bible study as we discuss He Is My All by Debbie Alsdorf. This past week we learned about God’s love as real and practical. Knowing God is the author of your life story, I wonder what you would title your LifeBook, rather than your “Facebook.” It’s fascinating how we spend much of our lives writing our own stories…only to discover the real story is Jesus. Once we allow Him to become the key character and we center our life story around His presence, the entire story begins to make sense. Eugene Peterson writes in the Message Bible:
Keep your eyes on Jesus, who both began and finished this race we’re in. Study how he did it. Because he never lost sight of where he was headed—that exhilarating finish in and with God—he could put up with anything along the way: Cross, shame, whatever. And now he’s there, in the place of honor, right alongside God. When you find yourselves flagging in your faith, go over that story again, item by item, that long litany of hostility he plowed through. That will shoot adrenaline into your souls! Hebrews 12:2-3 Message
Sometimes, we are so busy keeping others in our view instead of Jesus! We hold people we resent inside our hearts, waiting for them to say something that triggers our bitterness. We hold people who hurt us inside our hearts, refusing to forgive and tightening our hold on the victimization role. We keep our own past sins in the rear view mirror of life, and as we travel down the highway we keep looking behind us to see if we are being chased by them. What would happen if you keep your eyes on Jesus instead?
With eyes on Jesus, our heart flows with calmness instead of resentment. We forgive others and claim our identity as a Daughter of the King. We release our sins at the foot of the cross and we do not pick them up again. We move forward by faith…driven through obedience and love for God.
In Psalm 138:8 we learned that God completes us. Reflect on these words from the Psalm:
- God vindicates me (NIV)
- God perfects that which concerns me (Amplified, NKJV)
- God does everything for me (God’s Word)
- God works out His plan for my life (NLT)
- God fulfills me (HCSB)
If you struggle with the reality of these Truths…then carry those struggles in prayer today. Don’t let worthless thoughts float through your heart… replace them with the wisdom of Scripture.
Assignment For the Week
- Please read Lesson Four (week four) in your book this week.
- Join a small group discussion
Discussion Questions For the Week (answer here or with your small group)
- What is a practical way you can choose to serve God ahead of other gods (idols)? (page 56, day four)
- The Bible says: And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Helper, to be with you forever, even the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees him nor knows him. You know him, for he dwells with you and will bein you. John 14:16-17 ESV Are you aware of the Spirit living in you? Talk about your awareness or lack of awareness (page 56, day four)
- The Bible says: Therefore, since we also have such a large cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us lay aside every weight and the sin that so easily ensnares us. Let us run with endurance the race that lies before us, keeping our eyes on Jesus, the source and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that lay before Himendured a cross and despised the shame and has sat down at the right hand of God’s throne. Hebrews 12:1-2 HCSB How can you fix your eyes on Jesus today? What helps and what hinders? (page 59, day five)
- This week we learned about love that is practical and real. Share something practical, powerful or real that God has done in any area of your life. (page 59, day 5)
- What is God teaching or saying to you through this Bible study? What has taken root in your heart since we started three weeks ago?
You are His treasure, you are loved!