Welcome back to online Bible study at the Womens Bible Cafe! We’re reading Gideon by Priscilla Shirer and just finished our second week of study. By now you should have your workbook and be connected with a small group. We’ve seen many familiar faces and many new faces in the small group chatroom…what a blessing to spend our summer with you as we expand our knowledge on Gideon. During our first week of this topical study we learned the about Cycle of Redemption and the historical timeline of events leading to rebellion and discipline.
This week Gideon encounters an angel..pause and think about that! Can you imagine an encounter with an angel! Priscilla Shirer writes “Having your spiritual radar up in constant anticipation of His presence- even in the midst of the joyful chaos and regular rhythms of your everyday living- is paramount in hearing God, because sometimes the place and manner you find Him is the least spectacular you’d expect.” As believers, we need this holy expectation of a divine encounter. Never assume you will only have an encounter in church on Sunday morning or during your devotional time. Always be ready to receive Him. Priscilla writes “To be aware of God’s purpose you must be aware of His presence.”
What would happen if YOU turned your ordinary tasks into spiritual lessons and awareness of God’s favor? One woman who has mastered this is known as the FlyLady… she takes the task of cleaning a home and turns it into a “weekly home blessing” complete with candles and praise music. If you want to take your ordinary tasks to a whole new experience…check out her website at www.FlyLady.net
Priscilla reminded us this week that “the ordinary is often the disguise of the divine,” and invites us to become aware of divine opportunities to serve God. I hope you wrote some of the scripture verses on index cards this week…and you will memorize them to prepare for your assignment from God. May you be bold for Jesus….accept His calling and radiate His love.
Our Prayer Wall has many requests, so please take a minute and pray for these women. Post your own prayers and lift one another up with your words.
For Next Week
- Read Week Three in the workbook
- Watch the Beth Moore video on her website when you click here
- Listen to Audio Session Three or Video Session Three at Lifeway.com (optional due to cost)
Group Discussion- Answer here or with your small group (some based on Beth Moore’s questions)
- Based on the question in the middle of p.37 of your homework: To what specific area of holy bravery does God seem to be calling you in this present season?
- What expectations do you think Believers have about how God reveals Himself? How do you think these expectations have been formed? (page 42)
- Drawn from the portion on p.46 regarding the 5 ordinary tasks you perform on a daily basis, share a memory of an ordinary circumstance in which God met with you in an extraordinary way. If you’re new to all this and can’t think what to share, don’t feel lame or unspiritual. Pray for Him to do this very thing with you over the coming days and I have a feeling you won’t be disappointed.
- Based on p.50 and the discussion about the first part of the divine declaration to Gideon, how confident or insecure do you tend to be regarding God’s promise that He is with you? Explain your answer.
- Why do you think it is critical for believers to understand their identity before moving forward to their destiny? How can an incorrect or malformed spiritual identity hamper someone’s spiritual success? (page 57)
- Look at the bottom of p.57. Would you be willing to share the pair of terms that best describe a disparity you’ve dealt with between your self-perception and a biblical view of who you are in Christ? If you’re willing, also briefly explain your answer.