Knowing God By Name Online Bible Study Week 7

Welcome back to womens online bible study as we discuss Knowing God By Name by Mary Kassian. We’ve just finished reading our final lesson and we’ve learned 35 different names of God. We are sufficient in Him and our bible study was a good reminder of this important message. Too often we look outside of our relationship with God and we seek satisfaction in things of the world. If we just turn to Him…we have all we really need.

This bible study reactivated my craving for a deeper relationship with God. As we spent seven weeks focused on His character, I found myself seeking Him. To satisfy my craving, I pulled out a bible I had in storage called the Key Word Study Bible and started reading from the beginning. I used my pen to mark His promises and commands, and my highlighter to mark key passages that melted into my heart.  El Ro-I or the God who sees me, inspired me to see more of Him through scripture, church, worship and prayer. I find the Immanuel irresistible and I want Him to be the focus of my life.

Keep the flash cards from this bible study with you, and continue to memorize His name. Knowing God is not a seven week exercise…it’s a lifetime experience. Pray over the names, scan scripture for more examples of His names, and let the name of God settle into your hearts and minds. Share what you know with others.

It has been my pleasure to lead this study and to learn with you. Thank you to the small group leaders who prayed over you and sent you updates each week to help you stay on track. May you be blessed in the presence of  Rav-Chesed.

Our Prayer Wall is the place to reach out with your prayer needs and praise reports. Please visit the page and pray for those people who are asking for you to lift them up in prayer. Pray for the leaders of this study and the women in your small group.

Homework For The Week

Online Group Discussion- answer one or as many questions as you like by posting a comment below

1. David said “My soul waits in silence.” How do you feel while waiting in silence?
  2. Of the names we studied these past seven weeks, which is the most meaningful to you and why?
  3. Share your thoughts about this week’s lesson.
  4. Would you recommend this bible study to a friend? Why or why not?

• C D Swanson says:

Waiting in silence for the Lord allows me to meditate on His Sovereign magnificence. It allows me to be aware of how powerful He is in all aspects of my life. I “hear Him” through silence….So, I enjoy it.

There are so many beautiful names for God. One of my favorites is “Abba Father.” I feel a deeper connection to Him when I call Him by that name. Oft times, I may call Him, “Abba Daddy.” He is in fact our “Daddy.” He is that big kind gentle loving Father…and I feel blessed to be considered His child.

The bible lesson was outstanding, as always. It was prolific overall, and provided another avenue of conencting to God in meaningful ways.

And, YES – I would recommend and HAVE recommended this site to many friends.

Blessings,

C D Swanson
    htpp://www.cdswanson.com

• Lisa H says:

Let’s be honest. Frustrated. I am a product of this world and I want things right now! Honestly though … I have found waiting to be a better outcome than the “hurry it up” scenario.

Yahweh Rophey. God is the ultimate healer. Physically, Spiritually, Emotionally. So very glad for this since I am so “broken”.

Would you recommend this bible study to a friend? Why or why not?
    I would. I love doing the bible study’s here. There are such a variety and its great to “meet” new people. I love the addition of the small group leaders.

• Christine Smith says:

Thank you Lisa! I have enjoyed every study and also the opportunity to become your friend, Hope we can meet in person one day!

I enjoy sitting in silence and listening for God and just resting in His presence. It refreshes and renews me and always lifts my thoughts and spirit to a better place.

For some reason I was really drawn to Elohey Avoteynu (God of our Fathers). Maybe it’s because I love history, I don’t know, but learning and thinking about our connection with past generations was very interesting and exciting to me.

3. Share your thoughts about this week’s lesson.

I loved the whole week but my favorite was the chart on pages 156 and 157. These would be excellent memory verses!

4. Would you recommend this bible study to a friend? Why or why not?

I have already recommended this study to several friends. I really enjoyed Mary Kassian’s writing style and I loved how this study led me so easily into worshiping the Lord.

• Victoria says:

I started this study a couple weeks later than everyone else, but I am thankful for a great person that donated a book to me so that I could participate. So, I am not finished with the study yet, but am working diligently and enjoying each name of God that I am learning about. I hate to have missed out on so much great discussion of this study, but I feel like I was blessed just by getting to do the study.

Anyhow, I just wanted to check in, albeit a bit late, and say thank you for this site…for these studies…for the Godly women represented here. You are all a blessing.

• Christine Smith says:

Join us in the Facebook live chats and you will not feel left out of the discussions 🙂 They are more general in nature and it would be fun to have you there in fellowship.

• Edna says:

missed knowing God by name,but i work nights 7p-7am cst how can i get a complete summary of the study, i will get the book and do the bible study.

• Christina Shubert says:

I find myself thinking “Yahweh Borey” often. I loved the reminder of how sacred the name of the Lord is. When she discusses how the name Yahweh was so sacred that it was not spoken or written, I was sad. I started thinking about how often his name is abused or used as meaningless jargon. I get tired of seeing OMG. I just want to shake that person’s shoulders and ask, “Do you know who’s name you speak? Do you know what he can do?” I definitely honor God and his name so much more, now!

• Elizabeth says:

1.David said “My soul waits in silence.” How do you feel while waiting in silence?
    I am much more comfortable waiting in silence with others for their answers. Last summer, a friend gave me the book “now what do I do?” and it was so helpful for me in how to wait on God’s answers, I am much more comfortable now waiting, but it is still hard.
    2.Of the names we studied these past seven weeks, which is the most meaningful to you and why?
    Probably healer because there are so many things I want to be healed of……and I need to rely on God!
    3.Share your thoughts about this week’s lesson. Redeemer, Rock, Shepherd, Portion and Joy, I truly need to continue to memorize these, I love it and it gives me hope when I wake up in the night and can’t sleep!
    4.Would you recommend this bible study to a friend? Why or why not?
    Absolutely, yes! It has been different than any other study I have done and WOW, the power of remembering all that God is to me is amazing!
    thanks to all who worked hard to make this study, and all the others through this site happen! they are so helpful when you can’t get out to meet with a small group!

• Christine Smith says:

Reminds me of a book called “She Did What She Could” and another one called “The Invisible Woman.” Both great books too!

• Carol says:

I pick the name “Eagle” for the Introductory Session of this bible study because I love the scripture Isaiah 40:31 NKJV. Today, the same scripture came back to me as a confirmation in a magazine article titled “Waiting on the Lord.” My area of waiting is to have some close Christian women friends which hasn’t happened but will when the Lord allows it. I finally get it and in the time of waiting on the Lord, He has become my best friend. There are benefits of waiting on the Lord….becoming contented where the Lord has placed me, having God’s expectancy instead of my own agenda, resting and trusting in Him, etc.

“Elohi Tsuri” My God My Rock – Psalm 61:2-3. I really like the part of the Psalm 61:2b – Lead me to the rock that is higher that I. It reminds me that I can trust Him no matter what is going on around me and that He is my Rock!

Share your thoughts about this week’s lesson.
    It was great to know His names and the meanings behind each one. It is another layer peel back of becoming closer to Him and it has encouraged me to study further.

Would you recommend this bible study to a friend? Why or why not? I have recommended this bible study to people and the wonderful nuggets that the Lord has uncovered for me, it is like buried treasure!

• joannna says:

this study has made me want to study all of God’s names. I am going to start a note book with every one of His name I come across . I want to draw closer to God, and expand my relationship with Him.

• Linda Patrick says:

This has been an amazing study. I really needed to get focused on God and who He is. I cannot name a favorite name, just like I can never pick a favorite color. Each one is just perfect and then you go to the next one and it is just perfect too. And each one of them has caused me to praise Him and to reflect on Him and to realize just how great and wonderful He is.

Thank you for sharing this study. I very much recommend this study for any one that wants to know God more deeply. I look forward to the next study.

when i am waiting in silence, i feel such a sense of urgency – – i want to hear, loudly and clearly, and God so often whispers . .I want to do what He wants, and so often, i too, get impatient. because i am goal oriented, and all too often analytical and faith so often just wants us to wait or step out in faith. Me, i am trying,to wait wait calmly and to trust.
    my favorite name is and has been Immanuel . . because i need to know He is always with me. My dad died when i was a little girl, and in many ways we lost our mother then, too. that sense of abandoment has been with me most of my life (in the early years of our marriage it was hard to think i was worthy of being loved and to trust my husband wouldn’t leave me – -we’ve been together for 38 years now!) so to know He is with me is unbelievably important to me!

As for this weeks lesson – -Joy has been hard for me, Two years ago my family went through a difficult tragedy and we have suffered tremendous loss because of it. So, here I go being more honest that i probably should be, but i kind of resented Mary sharing a couple of times about her wonderful life (and yes, this is a little bit of “sour grapes” talking here, and yes, i do have blessing that i thank God for everyday) . .but joy, which was once so easy in my life, is now hard. for me, my joy is my relationship with God, and who He is and that He is a constant in my life.. i have learned it is never dependent on my circumstances… it is always on His love. So, maybe i, in my pain, didn’t quite agree on what she was saying, or maybe i wasn’t hearing her clearly, or maybe hearing about her wonderful trips, her perfect family, her beautiful diamond . .maybe i just would rather have avoided those parts of the book — -gosh, i really need you all to pray for me about this. i do rejoice with others as they are blessed, but for some reason, maybe because i have never read anything else by Mary, i had a hard time relating to her.

i would recommend the book – -i enjoyed the learning the names of God. i really like the cards (I put mine on a ring and wrote brief notes on the back of them, so i can keep them for easy reference when i might choose to pray to God in a more personal way.

1. I have trouble waiting in silence. I’m totally uncomfortable in silence and feel as though I need to fill it. I think I’ve grown so accustomed to running in this chaotic world that I lose equilibirum when I am still… or maybe I never had it to begin with.
    2. Immanuel- I am so touched by the humble spirit of a King who would give it all up to be with me…. and knowing that He is always with me is such a comfort.

I would recommend this study to a friend. I love what you said… Knowing God is a lifetime pursuit. Thank you for offering this study… looking forward to the next!