Sitting With God

By May 27, 2012Cancer & Faith

“Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits.”

Satchel Paige 1906-1982

This post was written  by Cindy Hamilton as she shares her breast cancer journey with our readers. Please pray and support her journey of healing.

This last week, I have done a lot of sitting and a lot of sitting and thinking.  Spending a week in silence will do that to you.  It’s easy to sit perfectly still and gaze out over the beauty of the ocean.  Your mind just seems to go to a different place.  Sometimes it takes that to really—really listen to God.  We think that we listen, but in the busyness of our life, we tend to do a lot more talking to God than listening.

God had some things He needed to say to me, and I had some questions that I needed to ask.  It’s all kind of personal, so I won’t go into all the details, but suffice it to say—we had a heart to heart.  It is humbling and a privilege to be here in this beautiful place.  God knew last fall when I made the reservations that I would need this time with Him.  I’m grateful that He made it happen.

This scripture in Lamentations 3:28-33 (Msg) pretty well says it all:

When life is heavy and hard to take, go off by yourself. Enter the silence. Bow in prayer. Don’t ask questions: Wait for hope to appear. Don’t run from trouble. Take it full-face. The “worst” is never the worst.

Why? Because the Master won’t ever walk out and fail to return. If he works severely, he also works tenderly. His stockpiles of loyal love are immense. He takes no pleasure in making life hard, in throwing roadblocks in the way.

Coming out of the silence and back into the world of chemo treatments and reality, I feel more equipped to handle the next part of this journey.  There is a joy that has welled up inside of my soul.  Whatever I have to face, God will not forsake me.  He hasn’t failed me yet.  He never will.

Author WBC

Find online bible studies for women at the Womens Bible Cafe. It's also a place where you can meet other Christian women from around the world and fellowship together. If you're unable to a attend a church small group bible study then the Bible Study Cafe is just right for you! Look under "Current Studies" to see what we're reading. Bring your book and let's study the Word together.

More posts by WBC

Cindy,

So glad you could make the trip. In the busyness of my life I need to find God in the quite. As you have done. Miss and love you. Prayers, blessings, and hugs.

• Gretchen Mercer says:

God bless you, Cindy. You paint a beautiful message with your words.

• I thank God for sending His servants to remind me in my day to day busy life, that i need to BE STILL AND KNOW HE IS GOD! Im so busy i forget to take time and just listen i mean really listen. It explains why i feel stuck and disoriented! Thank you for sharing Cindy! May God bless you and your family!

• Vicci Mauldin says:

Hi Cindy. Yes, sitting alone with God for an extended period of time is so refreshing!! To get away from our world and just “be” with Him. I have been fortunate that I have been doing this alot since my husband died from cancer in March of 2011. God loves us sooooo much, Cindy!! We question why, but He knows best. Dear Father, please continue to sustain Cindy as she continues in her chemo treatments and heal her body from the cancer that is within. Please give her perfect peace, comfort and merciful love Father. May you continue to bring your children into her life to uplift her and be there for her. We ask in Jesus’ name, amen. We love you Cindy!! <3

• Very powerful Cindy! We can never go wrong when we simply sit and listen.

• I like the quiet times talking with God. I find joy knowing that God is listening. I still struggle sometimes to hear Him, but I know He always answers.

• T says:

Sometimes when life overwhelms me I have a tendency to go off by myself. I have had friends and family tell me I’m running away when I do this. But I am not running away I am running to God. We all need that time alone with him to just sit and listen 🙂 thank you for your inspirational message and God bless you .

• Laverne (Missy) says:

Thanks for reiterating that God might have something to say to me, so during my devotion time I plan to purposedly stop after prayer and wait just in case God has something to say.

Outstanding Cindy

• Virginia Hines says:

Thank you. I feel you’ve just given me permission to sit at His feet and just listen. The world just doesn’t understand that.

• Christine Smith says:

Your words are always powerful Cindy. Thank you for sharing your journey…may the LORD continue to speak softly into your heart.