Welcome back to womens online bible study as we discuss Knowing God By Name by Mary Kassian. We’ve just finished our second week of study as we learned about God’s character and five more names of God.
- El Hakkadosh– Holy God
- Rav-Chesed– Abounding in love
- Rachum Ve-chanun– Merciful and gracious
- Emet Elohim Emet– Faithful and true
- Higdil Tushiyyah– Excellent in wisdom
Source: Knowing God by Name, Mary Kassian, chapter two
Each day you invested in bible study last week, you saw another glimpse of our wonderful Creator. God is set apart from all creation and can never be duplicated or impersonated. It’s important to recognize who He is…so you’ll recognize false gods and worthless idols. We’re surrounded with a culture of people who are ignorant of God’s amazing character. When confronted by crisis they’re quick to look for alternative solutions and trust the opinions of others, rather than lean upon the Rock. Or they may turn to God for momentary relief and then turn away once their immediate needs are met.
Knowing these characteristics of God, it’s astounding to consider that someone would reject Him. Why would someone reject abundant love, mercy, grace, consistency, dependability and wisdom? There is none but God.
How long will you people turn my glory into shame?
How long will you love delusions and seek false gods?
Know that the Lord has set apart his faithful servant for himself;
the Lord hears when I call to him. Psalm 4:2-3 NIV
We need to call upon the LORD. As believers we have the right to seek His love, ask for mercy and receive grace. As we wait and depend on Him (Psalm 37:7 ) we witness He is faithful and true. If we do not pray, read scripture and seek God…we will not see Him. It’s a daily practice to seek and know God.
During my study I confessed I was not spending enough time with El Hakkadosh, my Holy God. I had personalized my relationship with Him so much…that I neglected seeing Him as uncommon, perfect and illustrious. My focus was on his role as Father or Friend, and not on his Holy Being. This new awareness reminds me to focus on the larger kingdom of His creation. Did you experience something similar with one of the five names of God we studied this week? If so, share your comment below.
Our Prayer Wall is the place to reach out with your prayer needs and praise reports. Please visit the page and pray for those people who are asking for you to lift them up in prayer. Pray for the leaders of this study and the women in your small group.
Homework For The Week
- Read Week Three in your book
- Optional: Join us on Monday’s at 6:00 PST/ 9:00 EST in a Facebook “live” chat hosted by Lakecia and some of your small group leaders. This is optional because of the many time zones and not everyone uses Facebook. To join the group –click here.
- Check in with your Small Group Leader.
Online Group Discussion- answer one or as many questions as you like by posting a comment below
- Think of five words to describe the deity or character of God and post them below. Try to do this without looking in the book or at comments posted by the other women. Do it from your heart.
- What would the world be like if God lacked mercy or grace?
- What did you draw in your book to illustrate faithfulness and why? (page 47 )
- Share your thoughts about this week’s lesson.