It Is Written

By May 6, 2012Cancer & Faith

It was sort of an epiphany for me.  Sitting in church last Wednesday evening, I listened to a good friend teach on Jesus’ priesthood and authority.  Jesus, the very Son of God, quoted the Word by saying “it is written”.  His infamous battle with Satan in the wilderness was fought with the Word of God.  As I sat there in church, the Holy Spirit helped me to see and understand how powerful His Word is in our lives.  If God spoke the world into being, how much more can he use that Word for our guidance and protection? “It is written in the prophets, And they shall all be taught by God. Therefore everyone who has heard and learned from the Father comes to Me.” (John 6:45) In explaining John the Baptist’s role, Jesus says “For this is he of whom it is written: ‘Behold, I send My messenger before your face, Who will prepare Your way before you.’” Jesus quotes Hosea 6:6 when he said, “I desire mercy and not sacrifice.” All throughout the gospels, Jesus quotes “God’s Word.”

Driving home from church that evening, I asked God what He was teaching me.  I believe that He wanted me to know that confessing the Word was powerful and effective—and real.  “If my Son confessed the Word, then I am telling you that you can confess the Word with authority and confidence.”

Fighting this battle with cancer, I need to believe in the power of God’s Word.  One thing I have right now is time—a lot of time.  I have spent many precious hours with God these last three months.  Everyday I have learned something new.  So, this is what God has told me to do: Each day, I will write down a scripture on healing.  Throughout the day, I pray this scripture not only for myself, but also for the many people who are on my prayer list, by saying “It is written” and then confess the scripture.  Here are the three that I have confessed over the last three days:

It is written, “He sent his word and healed them, and delivered them from their destructions.” Psalm 107:20

It is written, “So, you shall serve the Lord your God, and He will bless your bread and your water. And I will take sickness away from the midst of you.’ Exodus 23:25

It is written, “For I will restore health to you, and I will heal your wounds says the Lord.”  Jeremiah 30:17

In 1 Peter 2:5, we are called a Holy Priesthood, offering up spiritual sacrifices that are acceptable to God through Christ Jesus.  We have the right to say, “It Is Written”.

Cindy Hamilton

Author WBC

Find online bible studies for women at the Womens Bible Cafe. It's also a place where you can meet other Christian women from around the world and fellowship together. If you're unable to a attend a church small group bible study then the Bible Study Cafe is just right for you! Look under "Current Studies" to see what we're reading. Bring your book and let's study the Word together.

More posts by WBC

• Sandy says:

Hi, just want to say that the word of God is Alive and Powerful and when spoken in faith it accomplishes much. So let us continue confessing His word for our healing, the bible says His word shall not return to Him void (empty) but it will accomplish that for which he sent it do. I truely believe the fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much. So let us not faint in our faith or walk with Him, for in due time we shall reap if we faint not. For we know that all things work together for good to them that love God to them who are called according to his purpose. He is with us through every storm in life we face and I love it when He tells us, “fear not” for I am with you, do not be afraid for I am your God I will help you ….

I will hold you up in prayer. God bless you! Sandy!

Praying for you.

• TC Avey says:

Very inspiring- I believe I am going to do this as well. A loved one is battling cancer right now and this sounds like something I will share with him. God’s word really is powerful!

• Nadine Davis says:

Hi Cindy…as I read your comments about the revelation the Lord extended to you, my heart was overjoyed. I pray that you understand what’s going on as the Lord guides you on the path of deeper understanding.

Yes…it is written, is a very important revelation! Joshua 1:8 explains just how valuable and profitable meditating on The Word of God is to His children. Our life on earth depends on it. Yet allow me to share another truth.

This Word that we are to meditate on became flesh and dwelt among us. We beheld Him as the only begotten Son of the Father, full of Grace and Truth! The word declares that He sent His Word and He healed us. Note, healed is in the past tense. It isn’t something that needs to be accomplished again and again. It’s a done deal and was accomplished once and for all by the Word who became flesh. You may recall scripture says that as He hung on the cross, His last words were – “It is finished!”. Now, it’s only left for us to get what that means and believe it.

Healing and salvation are synonymous. Really, you can’t have one without the other. That’s why Jesus argued with the Pharisees about healing on the Sabbath. He asked them what difference does it make if I say be healed or your sins are forgiven. (Matt. 9:1-6) The truth is it doesn’t matter because the scripture that explains how the crucifiction and death of Jesus dealt with our sins, also speaks of how the same process dealt with our sicknesses and diseases. Isaiah 53

It is written – He himself bore our sins in His body on the tree, that we might die to sin and live to righteousness. By His wounds you have been healed. 1 Peter 2:24. Now – it is left for us to no only believe but to also embrace this as true – just as we believed that if we confessed with our mouth…Rom. 10:9,10. No one can tell me that I am not saved because I know I received the Word of God by faith that proclaims that I am saved. As I incorporate this as truth, I then had to be ready to fight the good fight of faith. This battle is the one we all must focus on because it’s the one that will appropriate God’s will being done in us. When Paul completed His work here on earth he proclaimed – “I have fought the good fight…”! (2 Tim. 4:7)

Despite what we feel, despite what we see, despite what we hear, we must proclaim what is written as our reality and make it personal! He was wounded for my transgressions, He was bruised for my iniquities, the chastisement for my peace was upon Him and by His stripes, I was healed and God is not a man that He would like but His Word is True and forever settled Amen!

Communion also was established by our Lord to help with the process of appropriating what He died for us to receive. We must discern the Lord’s body though! It was effective and accomplished it’s mission and we must judge whether we truly believe that as so before we partake. The shedding of His blood and the mutilation of His body was effective and sufficient! Jesus asked that we partake communion in remembrance of Him (Who He is and What He did). We drink to commemorate how, in His death, His blood continually cleanses us of our sins and established our peace with God. We eat to commemorate how, in His death, His body was brutally bruised and broken for our healing. He asks that as often as we partake of communion – and I believe the operative word is “as often” – that we do so in remembrance of Him (Who He Is and What He Did).

God bless you along your journey to receiving a deeper understanding of His love for you and the finished work He already accomplished on Calvary through His Son Jesus Christ – just for you.

• YES! Thank you for the encouraging words, Nadine! I have been taking communion every night as a means to get closer to the Father and the Son. It is very humbling. Blessings, Cindy

• Nancy says:

Thank you my friend for providing me with a way to expand my own prayers for those (including you) who have health difficulties. My list is ever growing and I am glad to breathe Scripture into those prayers for you and others.

• Lorrie says:

I pray for you and your healing! I hope that these scriptures you are praying bring you peace and comfort like only God and His word can!