One Word 2012

By January 4, 2012Misc

Please join us at the Womens Bible Cafe and we embark on the One Word journey. We’re joining One Word 365 and My One Word by selecting just One Word for the year as a focus word. Instead of making new year resolutions, the concept of One Word is to select a single word for the year. You’ll choose just one word and focus on this word all year long.

Selecting One Word for the year is personal and unique to you. Don’t let a friend or family member choose it for you, find the word yourself. Once you make the decision to choose One Word for 2012, then your heart and eyes will be open for it. You’ll seek the word and it will find you.

Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.  For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened. Matt 7:7-8 NIV

Pray about your One Word. See if you start noticing a theme or repeating word, something that jumps out at you or sticks to your side like glue. Be observant of your surroundings and look for your one word for 2012. You might find it in a day or two, or you might find it in a few weeks. Start looking and see what you find.

My One Word- Heiress

I found my One Word for 2012 through a series of events at the end of 2011 and I started noticing a theme.

• I was watching Beth Moore The Inheritance with my two daughters. I started to focus on her words and paid attention to the word Heiress. In the bible study she reminded me  “you have a very wealthy Father.” It’s the first time I’ve heard that, and though I’ve known I’m a Daughter of the King, I never realized I was an actual heiress too.
  • A few days later on Christmas Day, my family gave me a bottle of Princess perfume by Vera Wang. I’ve wanted this perfume for about three years and never purchased it because of the cost. When I opened the bottle and sprayed some “Princess” on me…I connected the bible study with something I could see and smell!
  • Just after this, my niece announced she is in a beauty pageant for Miss California Teen and has been talking about wining a “crown.”
  • A few days alter I was watching “Selling Spelling Manor” about an heiress who bought the luxury home.

All these events confirmed my One Word. Initially I thought my word would be Princess, then I changed it to Heiress to take the focus off me and place it on God my Father. So for this year I’ll be reflecting on the word Heiress and what it means to be an heir with Christ.

Selecting One Word

After selecting your One Word, you might want to look up the dictionary meaning of your word and also a thesaurus. You might look up the Hebrew and Greek meaning in Strong’s Concordence, and of course you’ll want to examine scripture for your One Word. Be sure to use different translations of the bible. Start looking for this word in your reading, conversations, social media, emails…anywhere your eyes fall each day. Be observant of the One Word and see how it is applied to your life in 2012.

Melanie from Only a Breath has offered to create a free word button for your blog (see mine above with the word heiress). To get a free button customized for you, click here.

If you had to choose One Word for 2012, what would you choose and why?

• Kathlene says:

My word is commit. I want to commit myself to be more involved with the church with helping others, to live as Christ. I need to commit and stay committed. I want the devil to stop causing things to happen in my life that takes me away from being committed!

• Piper says:

I am running a little behind on posting about my word… Content….. it may be that I am not content….. and I haven’t wrapped my mind around what all God is going to show me….. but I am ready to begin!

• Kathryn says:

My word for 2012 is Surrender. I feel like God has been working on me for some time on this…I want to surrender fully to God’s will for me and my life, as well as surrender my will to others (like family, friends, etc.). In other words, “die to self” so I can fully live! I am excited to see what great adventures God has for me in 2012!

• Kelly Gustafson says:

My word for 2012 is Renew… To renew spiritually, emotionally and physically!

• Alece says:

This is awesome! So glad you are teaming up with us!

• Sue says:

My word for 2012 is Praise

• Sheree says:

I just had to share this…on Jan. 5, I posted my one perfect word for 2012 is focus. I always read my Sunday School lesson on Sat., and tomorrow’s lesson for Jan. 8 is on….Guess what? “Stay Focused on the Goal”… from Numbers 32….I was just too excited when I saw this. I am going to keep a journal as I go through 2012 whenever I see my word and how my special word “Focus” will make a difference in my life. This is just too exciting!!! Thanks so much, Christine, for sharing this with us. I cannot wait to share this with my Sunday School class tomorrow morning. 🙂

Thanks for the update Sheree! I had a similar experience when reading my James study today. I selected the word Heiress and today’s lesson included a section on being an heir with Christ.

• Sheree says:

How awesome!! Beth also has a DVD study on being an heir with Christ. I previously had ordered her DVD study entitled “The Inheritance” and with this set I got a note tablet that has the word “Heiress” at the top of the page with a crown above the word, and the Scripture is from Psalm 16:6. An Heiress is exactly what we are…love it!!

Again, perfectly timed. 5 minutes ago I pulled out my notepad, I had not seen it for about 6 months. I saw the scripture verse at the bottom and made a note to “look it up.” That’s funny!

• Sheree says:

WOW!! We were probably looking at the notepad at the exact same time…Incredible and like you said, perfectly timed!! LOVING IT!! 🙂

Happened to me on Friday also. Two weeks ago I ordered some bible study books from Lifeway and yesterday I was thinking “I wonder when those books are going to get here.” TWO MINUTES later they were delivered to my door. The UPS guy usually comes in the evening….so I knew it was an unusual experience. There must be something good tucked away inside the pages of these books 🙂

• Evet says:

Mine is “focus”. i would like to start focusing more on God,reading His Word and applying into my life. Focus more on my weight and family.

• Lakecia Harris says:

Hi Everyone,

My one word for 2012 is INTENTION

• Cindy says:

I have already chosen and posted my one word for 2012. Melanie made my button, which I love, thank you Melanie! If you know anything about me and my life, as well as the loss of my husband, you would understand why I chose “ANEW”. http://www.consideringitalljoy.com

• Sharon Barnard says:

It’s funny that this came through today. I had a physical yesterday and this year just like last my GP asked me so Sharon do you do anything for fun? Same thing with my gynecologist 2 years in a row. Both times I was open mouthed with no answer except a question what do you mean? Both told me you seem far to serious go have some fun. So my word for this year is Joy.

I have not known joy very often. Yes with my daughter but honestly that’s about it. I AM very serious and in my Christian life. We are not commaned to do so. Some maybe but not all the time.

So yes Joy is what I will learn to practice this year and what I will look for in others and in situations.

Webster: A very glad feeling; happiness, delight and anything causing this.

Nave’s Topical states: From God, In the Lord, In Christ, in the Word, in Worship, a fruit of the Spirit, for salvation, over a sinner’s repentance, under adversity, everlasting, attributed to God (with many scrpture refererences to read) and that it is commanded (again many scriptures – Ne 8:10, Ps 2:11, 5:11 32:11 Luke 2:10 6:23 10:20 Rom 12:12 1 Th 5:16)

The list of it all is much longer so much to incorporate into my studies.

God did not create me to be troubled. Yes I will know Joy this year.

• Sheree says:

My one word is focus. This word has already popped into my mind so many times within the last couple of weeks already. So there’s no doubt this is my word. Too often I tend to become distracted and my vision is blurred. God is telling me to focus on Him first, and He will sharpen my vision so that I will see clearly to do His will. When I looked in the dictionary to get the meaning of this word, here is what I found, and it is astounding to say the least. My emphasis is in parenthesis:

fo·cus   /ˈfoʊkəs/ Show Spelled [foh-kuhs] Show IPA noun, plural -cus·es, -ci  /-saɪ, -kaɪ/ Show Spelled[-sahy, -kahy] Show IPA, verb, -cused, -cus·ing or ( especially British ) -cussed, -cus·sing.
    noun
    1. a central point, as of attraction, attention, or activity: The need to prevent a nuclear war became the focus of all diplomatic efforts. (GOD IS MY CENTRAL POINT)
    2. Physics . a point at which rays of light, heat, or other radiation, meet after being refracted or reflected. (GOD IS LIGHT, AND THEREFORE, IS MY LIGHT FOR MY PATH)
    3. Optics .
    a. the focal point of a lens.
    b. the focal length of a lens.
    c. the clear and sharply defined condition of an image.
    d. the position of a viewed object or the adjustment of an optical device necessary to produce a clear image: in focus; out of focus. (GOD IS MY FOCAL POINT)

I am so excited to “focus” on God so that I will “see” clearly the vision He has in store for me this new year. Happy New Year to you all as you focus on your one word.

• Christina Orr says:

My word is SURRENDER. I have issues in this area. It’s hard to surrender my time and things. My goal this year is to FULLY surrender my all to him! Matthew 16:24-27 “Then Jesus told his disciples, “If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it. For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world and forfeits his soul? Or what shall a man give in return for his soul? For the Son of Man is going to come with his angels in the glory of his Father, and then he will repay each person according to what he has done.”

• Penny Harrison says:

My word is “Trust.” After I selected it these things happened. I received a mailing from In Touch ministries which had Provrbs 3:5-6 “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and do no lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Hi, and He will make your paths straight.” I heard the word trust on a TV show last night. It sort of in a negative way, but it was still the word. This morning Creflo Dollar was speaking confidence (which is a great word also) and many times he talked about trus. I feel confirmed with this word.

My one word: Intentional

I took the week between Christmas Day and New Year’s Day off from work as vacation and, as is common for me at this time of year, I was making a list of things I wanted to accomplish and/or change in 2012. I was talking to God as I was making this list and all of a sudden the word “intentional” came to my mind. As in, if any of these things were going to be accomplished and/or changed, I would need to be intentional about them; they would not happen by accident.

Since that time, I have noticed the word “intentional” pop up everywhere I look (in different blogs I follow, in articles I have read, in the current bible study I am working on, etc.).

I’m excited about focusing on this one word for 2012 and plan to journal regarding it throughout the year so that I can see how my faith and life have been changed as a result of being intentional.

• Cara Louise says:

So glad to see you are doing this…an online friend had mentioned she heard about this on the radio a year ago and I thought the idea was great so I have shared it in a Christian fellowship facebook group.
    My word is “here”.
    I looked up definitions and this is what I found:
    in or at this place;
    in the present life or state;
    used for emphasis;
    this place.

I’ve been pondering why God has shown this word to me!

At this time, I think there are 3 main reasons:

first, He wants me to more fully experience that truth that He is HERE with me, always, no matter where I am or what I do;

second, He desires that I be HERE with Him at all times, rather than straying in my affections;

third, God is desiring that I not worry so much about the future or fret about the past, but that I focus on what I am doing here NOW, and what He wants me to be doing here now.

I am writing these thoughts down in a journal, and as I get more clarity about what I am specifically to do concerning these ideas to add more.

• I love this! And you have inspired me! What an amazing journey God brought you TO this One Word! It will be awesome to see just HOW He manifests it in your year!

• Alissa says:

“Understanding”

• Karen says:

Success!

• Veronica says:

Integrity

My one word is;

INADEQUATE

Sue Alice

• Lisa H says:

I’ve chosen a phrase – that ultimately means one word that will, prayerfully, “morph” into other characteristics God is looking at me to develop.

Pray without ceasing = obedience (1 Thessalonians 5:17)