When Godly People Do Ungodly Things Week 6

We’ve just finished our bible study of When Godly People Do Ungodly Things by Beth Moore. This final week of study we saw ourselves as prodigal daughters returning to the love of Abba. Beth walked us through a five day journey from redemption to restoration and showed us how the Father’s love never fails, never abandons us and lives inside us through the Holy Spirit. We are HIS- children of God, and we are LOVED- though the enemy has tried to tell us otherwise.

We looked at the 7 benefits of intercessory prayer on page 126 of the workbook. Having an army of prayer warriors within arms reach has been a frequent blessing in my spiritual life. Sometimes my circumstances are too overwhelming for my human heart, and prayer warriors lift me up. Other times, I’m under a cloud of spiritual warfare and need the extra protection of intercessory prayer. Make sure you find at least one other person to intercede for you, and make yourself available to others too. You don’t need to to perfect in your prayers; you just need to have a willing heart and let the Holy Spirit work in and through you. If you want more knowledge on this, read the book Intercessory Prayer by Dutch Sheets or Prayers that Rout Demons by John Eckhardt.

Beth reminds us to clean our conscience, and I hope you did not overlook this important lesson. It’s one thing to know you are forgiven and set free. However, if you continue to carry the baggage and weight of your sins, you will never know the purity of heart,mind and soul. Without that purity, Satan will tempt you not to ask for blessings, not to pray for others, and not to wear your crown of Grace. You MUST clear your heart of any impurities and lies. The enemy will not let you forgive yourself. Spend some time praying over this and seeking 100% forgiveness of your past. A great book to read is called The Ragamuffin Gospel by Brenning Manning,  Soulprint by Mark Batterson, or Rewriting Your Emotional Script by Becky Harling.

Finally, on the last day of our bible study Beth Moore asks you to stop at the cross. Pause. Reflect on this and visualize yourself giving it all to Him. You are redeemed, restored and loved through the GRACE of God. let go of any shame and accept His blessings. wear your crown- Daughter of the King.

Please visit our Prayer Wall and post a prayer request or praise report. Take time this week to lift others up with your prayers.

Beth Moore Quotes

• God stands ready to receive and restore.
  • It’s difficult to feel negativity for people when you’re actively praying for them.
  • The very nature of a satanic scheme is that it is secretive and cunning.
  • Consider deprogramming from the world’s deceptive forms of media.
  • We can’t recognize lies if we don’t know the truth.
  • When we cease learning and being teachable, we are no longer disciples.
  • God can plunder the enemy and take back what Satan stole from us.
  • The proud will never be free.

1. What steps do you need to take- detoxification, deprogramming, or reprogramming- in order to strengthen your walk? (page 130 )
  2. What does it feel like to have your conscience replaying a scene from your past? (page 134 )
  3. Would you recommend this bible study to a friend? Why or why not?
  4. Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.

• carin says:

I was super behind on this study. I am sad to see only 13 posts. Even though many will not see this or interact. I feel good that I finshed it!

Always staying in God’s word. Always be in a study book. I need to be accountable even if I am behind!

Terrible. I beat myself up for days /months even. Playing the tape of what could have happened with my behavior/and or actions.

3.Would you recommend this bible study to a friend? Why or why not?
    Yes, there are a lot of failing marriages around me. I think that the enemy convinces these godly women that they deserve more. I think they just get a glimpse of the so called “greener grass” and move on. It is not what God intended. It saddens me and I just don’t see how God blesses their new union (s).

4.Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.
    That I actually finished this study! It has been the hardest study (by far) I have done by Beth. I am really excited to be able to start on time with the new James study!!

• Allison says:

Isaiah 1:16-17 “Stop doing wrong, learn to do right!” I know the influences in my life have made me susceptible to the seductions of the enemy. We need to avoid the people, activities, or media that glorify or tempt us to partake in sinful behaviors. Just as we teach our children right from wrong, we need to eliminate the wrong choices we make and replace them with right choices. For me, personally, I must admit that I watch television programming that includes sinful sexual behavior (specifically, soap operas). I have been watching them for over 40 years. I also know that even the evening television choices aren’t much better. Immersing myself in these Bible Studies has proven to be a nice way to pass time during the day, so maybe I’m on the right track.

Time for more full disclosure: When Beth suggested that sometimes the recording of past sins that we feel guilty for is so old it is an 8 track tape, I could definitely relate. Why is it that I can remember every detail of the ugliness of my past, but yet only remember happy times in my life as fleeting, fading glimpses? Page 135: “A continued guilty conscience following sincere repentance can be the Holy Spirit’s way of telling us that we have not allowed or believed God to complete a desired work in us.” Beth sure has a way to get our attention. Page 136: “If we know that we are “in the faith” but we start noticing that our conscience seems to be more callous when we sin and haven’t repented, we have somehow distanced ourselves from God.” I am praying that the callousness that keeps me sinning and the incessant rewind, play, rewind, play….torment will be finally stop. I am ready to have a heart that is truly ready to accept that the guilt and shame are keeping me from being totally authentic before God and others.

3. Would you recommend this bible study to a friend? Why or why not?

Guilt and shame have followed me for 40 years. Some of the guilt and shame are undoubtedly as a result of my victimization. I, like Beth, don’t remember getting a chance to be innocent. My innocence was stolen from me at age 11. Not knowing how innocence feels is very familiar to me. That being said, this Bible study taught me that without making excuses, rationalizing, or blaming others we need to go to the Lord with truly humble hearts before He can lift us up. My favorite moment in the study: “God forgives and forgets because He does not need to remember. We are forgiven but do not forget because we are wise never to lose sight of where we’ve been and how God has rescued us.” (page 109).
    Is there anyone that doesn’t need to hear these words. Thank you Christine for bringing this Bible Study to us. My life will forever be changed because of what I have learned through this study. God Bless you, Christine.

4. Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.

Page 135-136: I am not innocent. People with a past can still have a clear conscience. A guilty conscience will hinder you from pressing on to take hold of what Christ Jesus hold for you (Phil: 3:12)
    I pray that the next time I am tempted to rewind, I won’t hear the guilty conscience tape. I will instead hear a new recording: Beth’s words to the accuser on page 141: “You’re right, I did commit that sin, but God has forgiven me. He has empowered me to live differently and even redeemed my mistakes. He has used my past experiences to make me compassionate and merciful. You cannot make unclean what my God has made clean. I’ve trusted Christ to save me from my sins and to cleanse my guilty conscience. I believe God, and I will hold unswervingly to the work He has accomplished in me.” I pray I can finally forgive myself so God can heal me completely, redeem my past, restore my life, sanctify me entirely, through and through.

• Laura says:

1.What steps do you need to take- detoxification, deprogramming, or reprogramming- in order to strengthen your walk? (page 130 ) Deprogramming, and detoxification as well. Knowing I have some decisions in life have been very offensive to God, I am so thankful for His forgiveness, and accept it with a grateful heart, but the enemy still has ground unless the poison of sin and shame is expunged and completely purged to go along with the forgiveness. She says that in order to detoxify, we must cut yourself off from the source or sources and all connections to the source. I don’t want any tentacles of sin to be attached to me at all.
    2.What does it feel like to have your conscience replaying a scene from your past? (page 134 ) It is sheer torture to have my abject poverty in my sin replayed over and over.
    3.Would you recommend this bible study to a friend? Why or why not? Yes! Awareness of the enemy’s tactics and understanding we battle not against flesh and blood but against a very real enemy of our souls can save others from becoming too engrossed in sin if there is a greater understanding and awareness of the steps to becoming Had.
    4.Share a favorite moment from this week’s study. Page 137 Beth writes, “Freedom flows like a waterfall from heaven when we surrender our lives to total authenticity before God and before others…” Unfortunately I let shame cause me to hide behind a mask of trying to be perfect. How I wish I had done this study years ago to go beyond repentance and forgiveness to having my conscience cleansed. The truth is the work was already done all along from the moment I cried out for God’s forgiveness by the blood of Jesus, but I remained captive to an unclean conscience for far too many years. Learning to let go of trying to be perfect and living authentic is so freeing.

Thank you so much for giving of yourself leading all these studies which have so blessed me and many other women. May God richly bless you as you serve Him in this vital way.

• Debi S. says:

I really enjoyed this study. It gave me some great things to think about and wonderful moments with the Creator of the Universe. I loved spending time in the word and having Beth tell it like it is.

There were a lot of great points this week. I liked the idea in Day 3 of taking the bulls eye away from Satan. But how important it is to have a clear conscience. Very powerful stuff.

Thanks for moderating Christine. This was a really good study.

• Amanda says:

2. Like defeat and failing over and over again.

3. Definitely would recommend it. I can see myself reading through my workbook time and time again in the future just as a refresher.

4. My absolute favorite part was on page 140. I loved the depiction of being taken back to the cross and Jesus’s precious blood cleansing me as it fell. I cried like a baby when I read that and I’m tearing up again just thinking about it. Very powerful for me.

• Rhonda says:

As I am in the process of moving and we are leaving later this evening I do not have time to post anything except, thank you for this Bible Study. It was what I needed when I needed it. You are all in my prayers and please keep me in yours. Until we meet again,

Rhonda

1. I really think I need all three in my life at this time, as I am going throught some major changes in my life right now. I need some serious intercessory prayer in my life at this time.

2. Awful, sad, frustrating, and scary.

3. Yes I would recommend this study to a friend. It was very enlighting.

As always thanks to Christine and all her hard work. HUGS

• Caroll says:

Recently I moved and in a new city, I am still in search of a church, local bible study and small accountablity group here. I must daily and actively maintain my relationship with God for the rest of my life. Practice and live 1 Thessalonians 5:16-25: Rejoice Always, Be happy in my faith. Stay Away from every form of Evil. Pray without Ceasing. Give thanks in Everything. Don’t stifle the spirit.
    pg. 108: Find my way home with humility, making no excuses, no rationalizations, and blaming no one.
    I must forgive myself and clean my conscience. This is where I have the hardest time is when we got to page 133. oh…VERY HARD TIME.
    2.What does it feel like to have your conscience replaying a scene from your past? (page 134 ) Painful beyond imagination and words. Physically sick.

3.Would you recommend this bible study to a friend? Why or why not? Absolutely, for clarity and growth. This study saved my life…it redirected me to where I wanted to be but got lost in this human life. This book is very clear in helping me understand not only myself but also needs of others in giving love and support and especially with no judgement.

4.Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.
    pg. 147: I tricked you into thinking I would never be all right. That is what I tought too. I lied. My God thought differently, and I’ve decided to believe Him in stead of you. My enemy. I’ve been Had.

the simplest of words that really impact me fully p. 106, last paragraph, 3rd sentence. YOU BELONG TO GOD!

This has been a life changing study and a breath of life in this dying body. Christine thank you for being our great leader from the bottom of my heart and if you were in my living room, I’d bear hug you so tight! This is my beginning of finding my way home to Christ. Sincerely, Caroll

• Julie says:

What steps do you need to take- detoxification, deprogramming, or reprogramming- in order to strengthen your walk? I need to distance myself from temptation, pray intercessory prayer and continue with my group bible study.

What does it feel like to have your conscience replaying a scene from your past? Exhausting, frustrating and sad.

Would you recommend this bible study to a friend? I would definitely recommend this bible study to others as usually it blows the lid off of my thinking and opens my heart to draw closer to God.

Share a favorite moment from this week’s study. I enjoyed learning about a clean conscience and I realized that who I was even a year ago was not the the person I am today. I especially enjoyed the part where I had to write down how others would describe me and it was good knowing that they are seeing the same ME as I am in church. Knowing that God will immeasurably bless my life if I am willing to get real as I have been Had. And 1 Cor 4:4 reminds me that I should remember the past so I can testify as only God can judge.