Loving Well Week One

By October 23, 2011Loving Well

Welcome back to the Womens Bible Cafe and our online bible study of Loving Well by Beth Moore. This update is written by our leader Raye Holmes.

Beth Moore states, “we will never resemble Christ more; than when we love.”

How do we get to that point where we resemble Christ? By letting God love on us!  The way for that to happen is by spending time with Him – alone time, secret time, quiet time. As ladies it is so hard for us to just sit and be still. However to those of us who are married, there are times when we do find time to be alone, secret and quiet. That is when we are with our husbands intimately. When you think of intimacy, what comes to mind? A romantic date? Warm Conversation? Candlelight dinner? Spending time together?  It is in those time with our husbands that we feel love, special, like the world is off of our shoulders, etc. I also feel such love when I am spending time with someone who is just embellished with love, that friend who knows me better than I know myself!  But what happens when we don’t spend time with our husbands? Or that special friend? When life is busy, the children are needing you, dinner needs to be cooked, laundry to be done? You begin to feel drained and worn out, right?

When I am having a hard time of “Loving Well” – I am frustrated, upset, and tired of trying to love that one person that just works my nerves. Or that one ‘testy’, myself, my husband, children, co workers, etc. I have to check myself? Hey, am I spending time with Father God? No!  Have I read God’s word today? No!  I have spent a moment of just being still and allowing God’s spirit to speak to me about a stressful situation so that I do not snapped at someone or take my day out with the cashier at the grocery store?

When I do not have time spent with my husband, I don’t feel loved. When I don’t spend time with God, I don’t feel loved, worthy, and more than likely- my fruit is rotten on my fruit tree!

Sometimes life in general has kept us from being able to love well. Beth Moore said, “We will not love well until we feel well loved.” I know some of you have had a hard time in life, I know I have. Church hurts, injured hearts, broken spirits. Life has been hard on me. There are times I question God about my sufferings more than I do my blessings! Nuts right?

But I have found and I know that the only way I can be set free is spending that time with the Father God. Not just a routine thing, but an intimate thing. A personal relationship with God. God knows my secrets, God knows my heart, God knows me. But he awaits for me to speak those things out to Him, then He loves on me and comforts me and brings me peace that passeth all understanding.

Video 2 was not an easy video for me – it was difficult for me to watch. It stirred alot of things up inside me. And I am so thankful for that! Why would I be thankful for something that is going to make me face pain, hurts and unforgiveness? Because I want to Love Well! And to love well I must have a daily time with God. Time with God to the point that I no longer just know of God’s love; but I experience it on a daily basis. That I have God’s love deep down inside me, in my emotions (how I react to hard to love people), deep down in my spirit (that when I fail – I know God’s love is still there).

Have a great weeks ladies and may we all know God’s love like never before!

~Raye

Homework For This Week

Group Discussion- Please post a comment and answer one or as many questions as you want

1. Do you really believe God loves you? Why or why not?
  2. Have you ever tried to bind your heart with duct tape? What was the result?
  3. Is allowing God to love you a difficult thing? Why?
  4. Share a favorite moment from this week’s lesson.

Author WBC

Find online bible studies for women at the Womens Bible Cafe. It's also a place where you can meet other Christian women from around the world and fellowship together. If you're unable to a attend a church small group bible study then the Bible Study Cafe is just right for you! Look under "Current Studies" to see what we're reading. Bring your book and let's study the Word together.

More posts by WBC

• Raye says:

I agree Dinah the written format is very theraupeutic. I find I can more on paper than when I’m talking.

• Dinah DeLuca says:

1. Do you really believe God loves you?
    I do believe He loves me as He continually shows me in the ways I need to be shown. But that doesn’t stop me from questioning it sometimes. Most days I look at where I’ve come from and where I am now and just cannot believe that God loves me this much to give me all that He has given me. But there are days that I feel weak and conquered and think…has God forgotten about me? It’s not that I think God doesn’t love me any more but instead that He is not as interested in me. This is just the Great Deceiver (Satan) whispering in my ear. I have trained myself that when I start entertaining these thoughts to go to God’s Word and cry out to Him in prayer.
    2. Have I ever tried to bound my heart with duct tape?
    Duct tape is amazing. Once it gets a little warm it is like the adhesive bonds to a point that the layers of tape become molded together. Nothing can get past it. But the longer it’s there and exposed to the weather, the fibers start breaking down. And then you are left with a gooey mess that no longer works and requires a lot of clean up before you can do the repair correctly. I have used duct tape to bind up my damaged heart and I convinced myself that I deserved to be damaged because of what I had/hadn’t done. This was God’s punishment for my actions, I told myself. So I had to fix it because God was finished and wasn’t going to help me. This thinking is a result of two things I believe – my religious upbringing and my pride. Praise God, that was not the truth and He was not finished with me but just getting started. He kept pulling at the duct tape until my damaged heart was exposed again and I had no other choice but to call on God to have mercy on me. God and I are still in the process of removing all the “residue” the duct tape left behind but my heart is healing up nicely.
    3. Is allowing God to love you a difficult thing?
    For me it was very difficult, but it is getting easier as I mature in Him. I grew up in a works based cult. There was no Grace or Heaven. God only had a few people that He loved and if I didn’t follow all His rules perfectly, He would punish me harshly and never really forgive me. Once I broke free from that religion as an adult, I had to relearn God and Jesus and the Holy Spirit and the Bible. I understand them correctly now but I still struggle with these old ways of thinking that were instilled in me from birth. Because these “ideas” were interwoven in all parts of my life, I am still discovering them in places I would not expect. It is a process of weeding out those lies and retraining myself with the truth. The truth is that no matter what I do or don’t do, God loves me. I don’t have to DO anything and God will still love me-that’s Grace. The religion I grew up in rejected that because if God doesn’t expect anything from us, then why would we do it. But what I find is that because God loves me in this way, all I want to do is try and please Him so that He knows how much I appreciate this gift. This is the habit I have tried to develop to allow God to love me.
    4. Favorite moment from this session.
    It was near the end when Beth was talking about sharing moments with her pregnant daughter. She shared that the love for her daughters was the catalyst to wanting change in her life. I can look at my son, my adopted son and my husband and be reminded of the works that God has done in me using each of them. But my first and only born son was the catalyst that removed me from the cult (which the rest of my family is still a part of) and motivated me to learn who God really is. Once I saw my son for the first time and experienced for the first time in my life unconditional love, I started questioning everything I had been taught. When Beth said that about her daughters, I just cried out of complete and utter thankfulness for my son and the catalyst he became for me. I got pregnant with my son when I was 17 and a senior in high school. I had lots of plans and dreams for myself and this pregnancy destroyed them all. I prayed that God would take that baby away from me and I even considered an abortion. But God knew what I needed even when I thought what was happening was the end of my life. Instead this beautiful gift of a son was not only the miracle of another life but it also caused the beginning of my life in Him. Going back to the answer of my last question, because God had loved me enough to give me the experience of this beautiful child, I wanted to know God more so that I could show Him how much I appreciated His Love for me.
    Thanks for letting me share my thoughts in this format. I wasn’t sure how I would like this type of study because I really enjoy the small group setting once a week. But this is very therapeutic sharing in a written format and I feel like I am learning a lot.

Dinah, thank you for your response, I truly enjoyed reading it. I praise God for freeing you from the cult and opening your mind and heart to the Truth!

• melissa says:

I never feel like God doesn’t love me. I love how Beth says He in entwined with us. I never have a hard time receiving love, I see Him loving me all the time. It’s just never been a struggle. I can even look way back to before I even really knew who He was how decisions that I made or situations that have lead me today were really well planned by my Father. The best thing that I felt about the study so far was realizing that someone was there studying the same material with me and I didn’t even know them. I love reading the feed backs. Let us move on girls.

• Allison says:

1.Do you really believe God loves you? Why or why not?

Like many, I too have struggled with this one. I am a parent, so I get that we love our children even when we are disappointed in them. My mom used to say something like: “I love you because you’re my child, but I don’t always like what you do.” I never liked that. All I heard was the “I don’t like you” part. Insecurities have followed me into my adult life. I have made bad choices, so I guess I believe God loves me, but doesn’t always like what I do. I read about unconditional love, but have a hard time applying it to me. I must admit I haven’t quite wrapped my head around the daughter of a King concept, but I’m working on it.

2.Have you ever tried to bind your heart with duct tape? What was the result?

I have at times probably been a “Testy”. However, I have been loved well by my husband for 31 years. I have been loved well by my 4 children for 27 years. That being said, there is still lngering duct tape on my heart undoubtedly as a result of my childhood victimization. Doubt, shame, and guilt are the result.

3.Is allowing God to love you a difficult thing? Why?

This is how Job felt: “If I go to the east, [God] is not there; if I go to the west, I do not find Him. When He is at work in the north, I do not see Him; when He turns to the south, I catch no glimpse of Him” (Job 23:8-9). During certain times of my life I could relate to Job. The Bible tells us that no matter what we feel or what happens, God does exist and He deeply loves us. No matter how awful things become, no matter what happens, we can never be separated from God’s love. Beth tells us that we are not yet mature in love if we are insecure – it’s unbelief and our pride is keeping us from allowing God to fully love us. She reminds us that God hasn’t forgotten us. Nothing we do can make God love us less. And even though it might not feel like it, He is still in control, holding us in the palm of his hand (Psalm 139:10). I pray for a heart that will allow God to love me through and through.

4.Share a favorite moment from this week’s lesson

Beth says: “We will not love well until we feel well loved.” Injured hearts and shattered lives are obstacles are keeping us from experiencing God’s love. Beth says: “God won’t love through us what we have not allowed”. She says nothing can separate us from God’s perfect love. “Not our sin, our anger, our strongholds, our self-rightesousness.” God rejoices over us. He genuinely likes us. That is my favorite part. Just to be liked is enough for me.

Allison, you have not grasped the “Daughter of the King” because somewhere along your path, satan stole your identity. Although God embraces us as prodigal children, the enemy keeps us under a stronghold of self-condemnation. Let God continue to minister to you in this area and let His Word speak truth into your heart. You are loved and He is Abba.

• Allison Mayes says:

Thank you for your patience with me, Christine. I have Christian friends that tell me that Satan uses my memories of past mistakes and sins to keep me doubting and the doubting keeps me from experiencing a true loving relationship with God. I guess I feel like it is a vicious circle. These Bible studies have been so helpful. I am praying for for a heart that does not require duct tape or any other quick fix.

Satan is messing with you Allison, because he messed with me too. Slowly over time ad through bible study, I started trusting God enough to peel away the duct tape of my heart. It’s not a quick fix, it’s a slow process and a journey. Let God mend.

• Sheree says:

I do believe God loves me, because He says so over and over in His Word. As a child of God, He sent His Son to die in my place on the cross for my sins, and that tells me just how much He loves me. As His arms were stretched out and nailed to the cross, He says, my child, I love you this much. What a beautiful picture of the most incredible love we will ever experience. Even though I have loved someone, who should have been my partner throughout my lifetime, and because of divorce I lost the love of my life; however, I am so thankful for God’s love, because I can never lose His love. “We love, because He first loved us” (1 John 4:19).

• Melinda says:

Is allowing God to love you a difficult thing? Why?

Allowing God to love me as been a difficult thing because of the traumatic experiences that I’ve had in my life. I am learning more and more each day to allow God to love on me so that I can be a better me. I want to experience the perfect love that Beth Moore speaks of in Session 2. I use to fight being loved but now my heart is more open than it has ever been.

• erin says:

I do know that God loves me! Why? He has constantly been a stronghold, and faithful to me no matter how my life or circumstances might change. People do their best (some of them anyway) haha! 🙂 But God, isn’t effected by a stressful day or a money strains, or sickness, or whatever it may be that can make the people in our lives (including ourselves) be “not so lovey” or snotty or dismissive….etc. Praise God for His faithfulness!!!!!!!
    Duct tape? I’m one of those people that usually does’nt have the right ingredient, or tool, so I improvise. I would say mine would be a GLUE STICK!!!!! But,the point still stands. It does not work. I try to do it on my own. Very poor outcome everytime.
    Favorite part? Hard to say…..”Perfect love casts out all fear” I do love that, because “fear has to do with punishment” God heals. God forgives our past. God is the ONLY hope that lasts.

• Christina says:

Do you really believe God loves you? Why or why not?
    I do when I remind myself that He says He does. That He says in His Word that He rejoices over me with song. Sometimes its hard to remember and believe He loves me when I feel like I’m failing or not good enough. But He always so gently reminds me of the CROSS and why He had to come rescue me. How His overwhelming love is bigger than my sin and how His love washes it away in forgiveness. I wish I could just constantly hold on to knowing that love- throughout the day moment by moment.

Have you ever tried to bind your heart with duct tape? What was the result?
    Yes lots of times. I feel like I’m a person who gets hurt easily and sometimes I just wish it were different. I think I try to often cover this pain up from others and it builds and builds into bitterness or self-hate. But I don’t know what to do when others hurt me. It’s hard to believe that God’s love for me is enough to just love and not love to be loved. That I am already fully loved and God’s love is the only love because its perfect that can meet my needs. The result is trying to decide to confront the issues and bring it to Jesus together, if the other person also is pursuing Jesus or to brush it off and let God’s love be enough for me.

Share a favorite moment from this week’s lesson. Knowing others struggle with with loving others well.

• Jocelyn says:

1. Yes I believe God loves me because he listens to me and has helped me pursue my dreams.
    2. Yes, with the result of me being bitter towards others. It also made me not feel good either. I am naturally a very caring person so I really hurt myself.
    3. Yes and no. It is hard for God to love me because it makes me more a vulnerable person and challenges me to step outside my comfort zone. And it is not difficult for God to love me because when I let go and look to Him I feel a much stronger person.
    4. A favorite moment for me was when she talked about perfect love, and how when staying in a state of fear does not let God’s perfect love accomplish its goal in us.”Perfect love refers to love which is mature. it does not lack boldness or confidence, it is not hampered by insecurity or anxiety characteristic of immature love.”

• Monde says:

Do you really believe God loves you? Why or why not?

I believe God loves me. Everyday whether small or big I can see his love for me and of course his ultimate sacrifice for us to give us a chance at eternal life or a better life here on earth. I think the challenge for me is taking his love for granted and feeling like I am constantly abusing his love for me. by not living right….or not bringing glory to him…

Have you ever tried to bind your heart with duct tape? What was the result?

I don’t know about duct tape, but have tried to concrete my heart with cement 🙂 . All I can say was it was miserable and not only did I close off the love of other people but I felt I closed off the love of God…….There is life in God’s love….there is warmth and power and with time as I began to realize I might was well be dead this passage came to me Ezekiel 36:26 I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh…….Once again I was reminded that God never gives up on us…..

Is allowing God to love you a difficult thing? Why?

It is a very hard thing because like someone mentioned we think God loves the way we love others….Conditionally….. and so with our sinful nature we think “man oh man who would love me after what I have done” The devil does want us to loose this battle and constantly reminds us of our sin and guilty ways, but God keeps saying come unto me just as you are….Just as you are…..

Share a favorite moment from this week’s lesson.

When I saw the connection of allowing God to love us. Beth Moore elaborated it through the story of Jacob and Leah and how it took Leah giving birth to Judah for us to truly see that even though she did not feel loved by Jacob, God loved us ultimately. Very powerful insight…..

I didn’t notice them, must have been focused on the content and not the format. 🙂

• Sheila says:

I believe that God loves me, he gave his only Son for my sins. When in the daily struggle of life I drift away, I am always called back and welcomed with open arms, His arms. As I read His words I know, that for that moment at least , they were meant for me. He is always there when I am hurting, and needing His counsel. Amen.

• Judee Baysinger says:

I do believe God loves me. He is always there for me no matter whether I think He is there or not. He has never left me alone and is tugging on my heart strings all the time. That still small voice is sometimes more like a brass band. I am so thankful He never says ” Enough, I will never love you again.” It seems everyone else walks away but not God.
    Allowing God to love me is easy. Responding to that love is sometimes hard. He asks me to do things that are out side my comfort zone. He expects more from me then I expect from myself and He absolutely will not let me quit.
    I think my favorite part is journaling. I don’t usually write things down. Writing them makes me really stop and think about what I’m doing.

1.Do you really believe God loves you? Why or why not? I really believe God loves me. He loved me so much that he sent his only begotten son to save me from my sins. His Holy Word states that he loves me. He is my Heavenly Father and loves me even when I may not be loveable. He knows me completely becomes he knows my heart.
    2.Have you ever tried to bind your heart with duct tape? What was the result? Yes I’ve used duct tape to repair my heart in an effort to try and make those that hurt me think that everything was ok. The result was a sticky mess because other emotions (anger, fear) surfaced and I started to avoid people so I wouldn’t get hurt like that again.
    3.Is allowing God to love you a difficult thing? Why? I’m still working on carving out a quiet time. It is so hard for me to sit and be quiet. My mind wanders a lot. I have been spending more time studying and many God moments have occurred during this year.
    4.Share a favorite moment from this week’s lesson. Asking God to heal our spiritual sight so we can recognize His love for us.

• Barb says:

Hey…My name is Barb…I live in North Texas & love learning God’s Word with the Holy Spirit, Beth Moore, and God’s Word as my guide!!! This is my first attempt at doing an online Bible Study…What a concept!!! We’ll see how this goes!!!

My life in one word currently is “centered.” I am in one of the best places in all my relationships that I can ever remember…All because I am in a better place in my relationship with God…He is my center…

I’m starting the Bible Study a week late…oh well!!! At least I’m starting it, right??!!

I am a teacher…high school science…at an at-risk/accelerated learning center…many of my students are behind in their credits; they hate coming to school; they hate doing science; it’s hard; So these are the ones I want to see as God sees them…I want to love them better…I really try with them, but some of these kids just want nothing to do with me, with who I am, or with what I am all about..Many find themselves in very.tough situations…much of the reasons for their hardened attitudes…so they need love & I need to love them better…Show them a different face…God’s face of love…That’s why I am taking this class!!!

Praise God those kids have a teacher like you! I hope the entire Womens Bible Cafe will “adopt” these kids in spirit and pray for them during the course of this bible study.

Glad you’re joining in this study, Barb. The Womens Bible Cafe’ is a great place to study and I think you’ll be pleased. I love Christine’s idea and I commit to pray for you and each of your students throughout this study. Welcome!

• Allison says:

God bless you Barb. I have taught at risk students before and know what a challenge that can be. What a wonderful attitude you have…your students are lucky to have you as their teacher.

• Dedie says:

Do you really believe God loves you? Why or why not?

I do believe God loves me. He has told me through His Word and I have experienced His love first hand on many occasions in both, small and large ways. I feel His presence in my life daily and He reminds me everyday He LOVES me. There is nothing sweeter to me than feeling His embrace.

Have you ever tried to bind your heart with duct tape? What was the result?

I did bind my heart in duct tape after the passing of my daughter and mom. I did so out of fear of being hurt again and the result was I hurt myself and others. I isolated myself emotionally from others and prevented others from caring for me as well as God. I am naturally caring and loving and by binding up my heart I suffocated a precious gift God has given to me to use for Him and it hurt…as much as the loss because I was not allowing myself to be who I was made to be.

Is allowing God to love you a difficult thing? Why?

During the time I bound my heart in duct tape, scotch tape, any kind of tape 🙂 allowing God to love me was difficult. I was fearful He would leave too and as a result I kept Him at arms length. Today, allowing God to love me is not difficult. I know He will never leave and there is nothing that can separate me from the love of God. I “hear” Him each day tell me that He loves me and I tell Him the same. There is a relationship that has been tested and proven and I believe in the promises God has given to me, to each of us, that He will never leave or forsake me no matter what! That is love.

Share a favorite moment from this week’s lesson.

I do not know if it was a favorite moment but it was something I needed to hear…I needed to recognize that I have testys in my life and I do not deal with them in a loving way. God convicted me and showed me areas that I can be more loving instead, of ignoring them and hoping they would go away. I need to embrace and love them in spite of them being testy. It is easy to love when someone is easy to love however, true love is tested and shown when it is not so easy to do so. I believe this week’s lesson has helped me to align more with God as well as given me an opportunity to experience growth in an area I was not even aware I was lacking in.

• Carla Brooks says:

1. Yes I believe God loves me. He answers my prayers all the time.
    2. No matter how hard I try to harden my heart, I’m a softie and somebody always slips in. I don’t know how many times I’ve said I’m putting a wall up and nobody is getting in, but it never works. For me, all it takes is a smile sometimes.
    3. Allowing God to love me is not difficult. It’s the enemy who always brings up the past and tells me that I’m undeserving of God’s love that difficult, but I’ve learned to throw scripture at him and get him to back off. Nothing can seperate us from the love of God, greater is he that is in me, for if we confess with out mouths ans believe….
    4. When Beth talked about nothing seperating us from Gods love, no sin, no person, absolutely nothing.

• Jeanie Ryan says:

Do I believe God love’s me?
    When I am in God’s word , reading or memorizing scripture or being loved by others I do believe God loves me. At other times when I am dealing with this world it is difficult to believe and I have to refocus back on God. I feel like my head has been spun around into God’s direction and into His light of the truth and love by doing this study. It is difficult to keep my head in His direction when being bombarded by life but I have to continue to refocus and be alert to the tricks of the enemy. We have to know Him by spending time with Him everyday and then it becomes easier. Thank God for His word and His love.
    The duct tape is being slowing removed as I encounter Him daily.
    It is difficult to believe that He could love me no matter what but I choose to believe His word and am a work in progress. This first weeks lesson helped me realize we all have difficult people in our lives and Beth did a good job helping me to see that. We are also difficult for others to love at times and it isn’t always that funny. Thank you Beth for your sweet and funny way of exposing this problem to us.

• Tara says:

Do you really believe God loves you? Why or why not? I do believe God loves me. He forgives my sins. He died for all of us. He is always there. He creates many blessings. I know he loves me.
    Have you ever tried to bind your heart with duct tape? What was the result? Yes!! I have guarded my heart for awhile. The result is feeling empty those years. I was so afraid of getting hurt, that I became guarded and until about a year ago I have known that love like no other. I love with all that I have. If i get hurt well, at least I loved with my all.
    Is allowing God to love you a difficult thing? Why? Sometimes, I dont think I give God all of me. I know he loves me. I just think I need to develop a better relationship with him. He could love me better.

• Teresa says:

About 6 weeks ago someone asked me what I thought God’s love for me looks like. I couldn’t even answer. I just sat there weeping. Thank God for people who can disarm us with just one question. I had not thought about what his love for me looks like and when I stopped to do that, I was overwhelmed by what I saw.
    I had been running myself beyond empty and couldn’t understand why I couldn’t pick myself up by my boot straps and keep moving forward. I had been living small, distancing myself from loving others to protect myself from a pattern of hurt I experience in my line of work. I realize now that God has been trying to get my attention, begging me for a deeper relationship so he could pour his love into me and I in turn, can pour it out to others.
    My favorite moment from the week was learning that – when God’s perfect love is accessed, I can love anyone through anything

• Julie says:

1. Do you really believe God loves you? Why or why not? Yes, I believe God loves me, because if He didnt, then He would not have sent His son to die for my sins. That is the Ultimate Love. He wants the best for me. He forgives me every day, even though I am a sinner. His love is unconditional. He gave me life, and He is always with me, taking care of me. If He did not love me, then I would not be here.
    2. Have you ever tried to bind your heart with duct tape? What was the result? I tend to put walls up when my feelings get hurt–I guess you could say that is when I am “binding my heart with duct tape.” I push my feelings aside and try to convince myself that what others say/think doesn’t matter–that way they can’t hurt me again. At the same time, that means they can never get close to me.
    3.Is allowing God to love you a difficult thing? Why? I always thought I allowed God to love me, but reading this study makes me wonder if I am truly allowing Him to love me or if I am keeping part of myself away from Him. I guess I just expect that He does love me, even if I don’t take the time to spend intimate time with Him. After this week’s study, I learned that I need to spend time with God to grow closer to Him, allowing HIm to love all of me, so His love can flow out of me to others. I’m trying to spend more time in His word, and I have noticed that I feel more at peace when I am in the Word more.

Julie,

Thanks for your answers, and the time you are putting in this study. I know it is hard with a family and kids, but I am proud of you. Blessings to you. Feel better please.

• Julie says:

Sue,
        Thanks for your encouragement. It does get hard to keep up with at times, but I really need this. God put you in my life to help me get into His Word and develop a closer relationship with Him–I TRULY believe that. It was not an accident that we met when we did. Take care, dear friend. I’ll see you soon!

• AnnMarie says:

I do believe God loves me. When I am faced with the storms of life, it is He who lifts me up and carries me through the storm. He gives me the comfort of knowing my tomorrows are going to be great!!!

1. Do you really believe God loves you? Why or why not?

I do really believe that God loves me for several reasons:
    * His Word tells me He loves me.
    * He sent His Son to die for my sins.
    * He chose me to be His child.
    * He is growing and maturing me.
    * He chased me down and called me back into a relationship with Him after I had walked away from Him and spent many years living according to my fleshly desires.
    * He has shown me through answers to prayer and through His faithful presence and guidance in my life that He loves me.

3. Is allowing God to love you a difficult thing? Why?

Allowing God to love me is a difficult thing because I don’t feel like I am lovable. I have always struggled with close, personal relationships and have always kept people at arm’s length. Letting anyone (even God) get close and love me is uncomfortable and hard to do.

4. Share a favorite moment from this week’s lesson.

My favorite moment was the realization that God manifests Himself through me when I love others.

• Ericka says:

This week’s lesson was great! I’m just starting with the group this week so I missed week 1 (I’ll have to go back and watch that one).

The question I had to ask myself is not “do I believe God loves me?” but “do I understand and accept what God’s love really is?” Prior to this week’s study, I believed God’s love was like mine – conditional and performanced based. I was believing that God loved me as long as I “deserved” it. If I had been obedient, finshed all of the tasks on my to-do list (with excellence), etc. then I thought God was pleased and loved me very much. When I failed, I thought God begrdugingly loved me out of obligation. It really helped me to hear Beth explain that “love is a part of God’s godness. It is not an emotion towards us.”

Allowing God to love me was difficult because I didn’t understand it. God loving me uncondtionally wasn’t logical. I don’t deserve it. I worried He would change His mind when He saw how horrible I am or how slow I was to be conformed to His image and take His love away. During today’s study it finally broke through to my heart that love is who God is. Accepting His love is the same as accepting Him. That realiziation made me very happy. I want to receive God’s love because I want to receive all of Him in Christ.

There were many parts of Session 2 that blessed me. My favorite part would have to be the reminder that nothing can separate us from God’s love.

This week’s questions are based on Session one. Next week, once everyone has watched session two and completed the workbook lessons, we’ll post questions about week two. You’re ahead of the group. 🙂

• Ericka says:

Oops! Sorry about getting ahead of the group. 🙂 Still learning how to participate in an online study. So far I’m really enjoying it.

1. Do you really believe God loves you? Why or why not? I probably would not be here if I did not think God loved me. I would still be wallowing in all that I have done wrong in my life. Also I probably would be in a loony bin at this time. He has loved me no matter what I have done more that one time. His Word shows me He loves me and I feel it all around me daily. He has given many blessings in the past year. At this time if He was not in my life, I do not know where I would be.

2. Have you ever tried to bind your heart with duct tape? Why or why not? What was the result? I never though of it that way….duct tape…..just a big old wall around me, and part of that wall is still here today. I let hate , resentment and plain old feeling sorry get in my way of Gods love for me. I learn the hard way to let God back into my life. It was almost too late. I wasn’t ready to say LET GOD be number one in my life. And I still deal with that daily. PRIDE is in the way. Or should I say I can DO IT?????

3. Is allowing God to love you a difficult thing? Why? Oh, yes it is……. I am a very stubborn, opinionated, prideful person and as some people say, pig headed. I am a do not need anyone to help me with anything person……..so I am learning to change my attitude on this and that and learn to let God love me.

4. This week I learn God loves me no matter what I have done. Praise God.

I’m so glad to see that you’re back on track, Sue Alice. I know you had some struggles through the last couple of studies and it’s good to see you here!

• Caroll says:

I believe God loves me and never leaves me. I feel God’s presence and have full belief it is God that has presented me with all the greatness in my life. What scares me so deeply is there was a time I didn’t feel God. I remember that time so clear and NEVER want that to happen….I live in fear that I will feel this again and though I know that to carry this fear is wrong,,,it’s a real feeling I currently have. I’m scared God will let go.

I bound my heart so tightly that I feel I have suffocated my own self. I have been witness to so many bad experiences that binding was what I did to cope as I didn’t know how to cope otherwise and felt at those points I had lost touch and could not hear or feel God. It was the most dreadful experience and I am still trying to work my way out of it by facing the experiences and deal with myself in a much stronger way. I felt as if I wanted to die…truly.

Allowing God to love “me” has been a very difficult thing for many years because I felt unworthy of Gods love. I have lived feeling inadequate and in the mindset that everything I do or say is wrong. I fight depression and have lived in low low self confidence. I feel like many days I survived but never lived. I went through many days as a warm body in motion is all. My life often felt like living dead and I didn’t deserve the greatness of God.

In the first video when Beth Moore says to give everything to him and trust….this is so moving. I really really try to give God everything though I still find my head dwelling on things of the past that I cannot change and I still find the negative recorder playing in my head. I often feel stuck as if I am weight down so heavy that I cannot move forward in further thinking and actions. The questions have really helped start to untie some of my knots. I want to love and love deeply. I want to live the best Christ-like life I can possibly live in this life. I do not know how to let go of some things yet will continue to work forward within myself.

Oh…and I REALLY love day 3: That we ask God to heal our hearts from the inside out. This never occurred to me and I Thank God for those who bring the reality before me that THIS is what I must pray for and THIS is what I truly need. Endless gratitude to all who provide guidance and leadership.

• Julie says:

I do believe God loves me with all my heart and mind. God has shown me both in my obedience and disobedience that he loves me, that he wants more from me and he wants me in my entirety. He loves me without any conditions and his love for me is unfailing. God continues to show me his love through his Word, through my plunder and reveals himself to me through daily devotion, constant prayer and fills my heart as my constant prayer is to be compassionate to others, humble and for God to fill my empty places.

I have had disappointments, hurts and loss that I thought I could fix, that I could handle it all by myself. I let my pride before God.

I know that God loves me but sometimes it is difficult in situations taht I am having such a hard time and the devil keeps telling me that I am not worthy.

This week I had discussions with God and asked him to release me of my fears, and asked the Lord for compassion and patience as I know his timing is always perfect. One night I was up with God in prayer, we talked all night about my fears and even though I was physically exhausted in the morning, I know that God has healed me and that only through Him can I truly love others.

• Teresa says:

Thanks for sharing your story of asking God to release you of your fears – staying up all night deep in relationship with our Lord and feeling his healing hand on you. Inspiring!

• Lynne says:

WOW session 2 was great! I grew up believing Jesus loved me, but as an adult when life got hard I got to thinking that God loved me because he had too. I mean He Is God so he has to love me…….even if he didn’t want to. And there was the rub. I didn’t love my self very much so how could I accept God’s love for me if he only loved me because he HAD to. Thanks you God……He ministered to me through a very long and difficult season in my life and I saw, felt and received His LOVE for me. Is it always easy for me to accept God’s love of me? NO! It’s easy to love others, it’s easy to serve God, it’s easy to make mistakes, but it is not always easy to humble myself to feel and receive God’s love for me…….Lynne. Thank you God for loving me – Lynne – just as I am even though you know my past, present and future.

• Lynne says:

First of all, I have to say that this comment freaked me out. My name is Lynne with an “E” & do you realize how very few of us there are with that spelling? 🙂 Second of all, this could have been me writing this comment. I even had to stop & think for a moment to make sure this wasn’t me. Weird, huh??? Maybe just one of those amazing God things where He puts a connection where there wasn’t one before. I was one of those who put duct tape around my heart for a number of years & felt I was doing just fine. After some time the duct tape just slowly began to unravel & I was left with a big hole in my heart. That’s when Jesus got my attention & loved me enough to fill that hole.