We’re almost done with our women’s bible study Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World by Joanna Weaver, after reading chapters nine and ten this week. Our lesson shows us how Martha demonstrated a teachable heart and Joanna then asks us to examine our own hearts and complete the exercise “Are You Teachable?” In the scripture story, Martha did not become defensive or offended when Jesus corrected her…she stopped and listened. His words were precious to Martha, even when He disciplined her. Joanna reminds us “Respond to God with a teachable heart and you’ll be surprised at the holy makeover that happens in your life. When we refuse to listen to the Lord we shut him out, we refuse him the opportunity to teach us, to transform our lives, and to work through us to transform the world.” If you look at Deut 6:5 NIV the command is to love the Lord with all your heart, soul and strength. In the New Testament Jesus instructs us to love the Lord with our heart, soul, mind and strength! Mark 12:20 NIV To Love our Lord with our minds is to be teachable.
In our next chapter we discover of extravagant love, seen when Mary anoints Jesus with her perfume. Joanna Weaver compares a heart of greed and a heart of love by comparing Mary with Judas. By demonstrating the two extremes in scripture, we see just how lavish her heart is for Jesus. We see a single woman pour her life savings onto the feet of her Lord and place her future in Him. The Mary heart realizes her treasures are with the Savior. The story is so simple and yet so beautiful, it takes my breath away. Do we know what it means to have this type of extravagant love? Let your heart rest on this story and Jesus’ words “she did what she could.” Mark 14:8 NIV
Mary was at a bend in the road, one of total surrender or living as she had in her past. Holding on to her treasures, waiting for her promises …or giving her all to Jesus. She surrender to Him in complete and lavish love. Pour out your heart to Him.
May he strengthen your hearts so that you will be blameless and holy in the presence of our God and Father when our Lord Jesus comes with all his holy ones. 1 Thess 3:13 NIV
Please visit our Prayer Wall and post a prayer request or praise report. Take time this week to lift others up with your prayers.
Joanna Weaver Quotes
- Jesus wasn’t as interested in finding capable people as he was in finding available people.
- Jesus saw in them exactly what he needed- followers with the potential for transformation.
- Martha thought she had value because she was productive. Jesus wanted her to learn she had value simply because she was His.
- Sometimes we conveniently let God’s voice be drowned out by the confusion of our daily existence; we avoid listening to him by being too busy to read the bible or pray.
- Sin actually stops up our spiritual ears the same way excess ear wax plugs up our physical ones.
- Obedience is an essential ingredient in intimacy with God and the key to having a Mary heart.
- Our loving Father will do whatever it takes to break our rebellion before rebellion breaks us.
- A greedy heart is never satisfied. It never has enough.
For Next Week
- Read Chapters 11 and 12 in the workbook
- Join our Womens Bible Cafe Chat on Facebook
- Join the Loving Well bible study and order your materials
Group Discussion- Answer one question or as many as you like
- What do you need to be teachable?
- If Jesus sat in your living room, what treasures would you pour over Him? What would you surrender?
- Finish this sentence: (your name) did what she could. She…..
- Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.