Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World Week 5

We’re almost done with our women’s bible study Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World by Joanna Weaver, after reading chapters nine and ten this week. Our lesson shows us how Martha demonstrated a teachable heart and Joanna then asks us to examine our own hearts and complete the exercise “Are You Teachable?” In the scripture story, Martha did not become defensive or offended when Jesus corrected her…she stopped and listened. His words were precious to Martha, even when He disciplined her. Joanna reminds us “Respond to God with a teachable heart and you’ll be surprised at the holy makeover that happens in your life. When we refuse to listen to the Lord we shut him out, we refuse him the opportunity to teach us, to transform our lives, and to work through us to transform the world.”  If you look at Deut 6:5 NIV the command is to love the Lord with all your heart, soul and strength. In the New Testament Jesus instructs us to love the Lord with our heart, soul,  mind and strength! Mark 12:20 NIV To Love our Lord with our minds is to be teachable.

In our next chapter we discover of extravagant love, seen when Mary anoints Jesus with her perfume. Joanna Weaver compares a heart of greed and a heart of love by comparing Mary with Judas. By demonstrating the two extremes in scripture, we see just how lavish her heart is for Jesus. We see a single woman pour her life savings onto the feet of her Lord and place her future in Him. The Mary heart realizes her treasures are with the Savior. The story is so simple and yet so beautiful, it takes my breath away. Do we know what it means to have this type of extravagant love? Let your heart rest on this story and Jesus’ words “she did what she could.”  Mark 14:8 NIV

Mary was at a bend in the road, one of total surrender or living as she had in her past. Holding on to her treasures, waiting for her promises …or giving her all to Jesus. She surrender to Him in complete and lavish love. Pour out your heart to Him.

May he strengthen your hearts so that you will be blameless and holy in the presence of our God and Father when our Lord Jesus comes with all his holy ones. 1 Thess 3:13 NIV

Please visit our Prayer Wall and post a prayer request or praise report. Take time this week to lift others up with your prayers.

Joanna Weaver Quotes

• Jesus wasn’t as interested in finding capable people as he was in finding available people.
  • Jesus saw in them exactly what he needed- followers with the potential for transformation.
  • Martha thought she had value because she was productive. Jesus wanted her to learn she had value simply because she was His.
  • Sometimes we conveniently let God’s voice be drowned out by the confusion of our daily existence; we avoid listening to him by being too busy to read the bible or pray.
  • Sin actually stops up our spiritual ears the same way excess ear wax plugs up our physical ones.
  • Obedience is an essential ingredient in intimacy with God and the key to having a Mary heart.
  • Our loving Father will do whatever it takes to break our rebellion before rebellion breaks us.
  • A greedy heart is never satisfied. It never has enough.

1. What do you need to be teachable?
  2. If Jesus sat in your living room, what treasures would you pour over Him? What would you surrender?
  3. Finish this sentence: (your name) did what she could. She…..
  4. Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.

• Jennifer says:

1.What do you need to be teachable? patience. I need to be patient.

2.If Jesus sat in your living room, what treasures would you pour over Him? What would you surrender? i would I would give all my attention and time and not focus on what I should have finished prior to being with Jesus.

• Michelle Tuinstra says:

What do I need to be more teachable? I think it is time. I am rushing from one activity to another without taking the time to think of how God is using me in the moment.
    If Jesus would sit in my living room, I would have to give up my time and focus completely on Him. I hope I wouldn’t do this– quick finish a load of laundry– but I fear that I would! That makes me feel badly and makes me realize that I need to make my relationship with Him the highest priority.
    I think the favorite part of this week is reading the comments. It inspires me!

• Nancy B says:

While I am behind in my reading, I just wanted to share that I AM reading and getting so very much from this book. I bought it 2nd hand off a popular website and I am enjoying what this book has to say. Again, I am behind according to the schedule, but the point is I am still reading and LOVING every moment I spend with this book. I’m so glad I joined this study and bought this book.

• Keri says:

The more I think about these questions, the less I know what to answer this week……

• Maureen says:

1.What do you need to be teachable? First, I think the “Are you Teachable?” quiz was very helpful. I have trouble disagreeing with people without having to prove my point. I don’t like when others have a different opinion and feel like it is an attack on me. I wasn’t really aware of this about myself (that it is a problem for me and makes me less teachable).
    4.Share a favorite moment from this week— in the “Making Jesus Your Lord”: Never under any circustances, give way for one single moment of doubt or discouragement. Remember that all discouragment is from the devil, and refuse to admiti; according to John 14:1-27.

• JEIPEL says:

1.What do you need to be teachable?
    3.Finish this sentence: (your name) did what she could. She…..
    4.Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.

I believable I need to listen more with an open mind.
    I dont believe I have anything I treasure enough to give to Jesus
    I would surrender my need to always be right
    Jeipel did what she could in raising Miles

1.What do you need to be teachable? I need to feel comfortable asking for advice (I’ve gotten more comfortable with this as I’ve gotten older but it depends on the situation), to receive criticism without being hurt, need to listen to other peoples thoughts without the need to express mine, and I need to start thinking of ways to apply what I’ve read.
    2.If Jesus sat in your living room, what treasures would you pour over Him? What would you surrender? My attention, focus and time.
    3.Finish this sentence: (your name) did what she could. She…..
    Susan did what she could. She continues to study God’s word to draw closer to him.
    4.Share a favorite moment from this week’s study. The Am I Teachable quiz and the statement (paraphrased) to have intimacy with God we must nuture a grateful heart that glorifies Jesus.

• Carolyn says:

What do you need to be teachable?
    Peace and an environment free from distraction.

This is a tough one, I don’t have $30,000 perfume in the house, but I do have a heart for Jesus. If he were to sit in my living room, I would welcome the opportunity to kneel at his feet and open my heart to him. I’d also probably take advantage of the Lord in living flesh to speak with me directly about what he intends for me to do with my life. Find out how I can best serve Him; how to surrender my life to Him. I try to wait and listen to God speak to my heart as I’ve heard others have, but it’s not an exact science. To hear the literal voice of God would be such a treat!

Finish this sentence: (your name) did what she could. She…..abandoned her worldly obligations and surrendered her life to Him.

Share a favorite moment from this week’s study

• Julie says:

1. What do you need to be teachable? I need to act on what I hear more often and accept discipline. I don’t always do everything that God commands because I get scared–like telling people about Jesus and witnessing to them. I know this is something that Jesus has told us to do, but I am afraid that I don’t know enough to be able to tell people and bring them to Jesus. This is something that we have been talking about at church and in our small group sessions, so I feel like God is really trying to get through to me about this.
    2.If Jesus sat in your living room, what treasures would you pour over Him? What would you surrender? My attention. I would feel so humbled and so blessed to have Jesus in my presence. I think, at first, I would probably be like Martha, trying to be the “perfect hostess” but would eventually, once I calmed down a bit, just sit down with him and listen, without letting myself get distracted by other things. I would bring my children to him, as they are my most valued treasure, and teach them to love the Lord and listen to him.
    3. Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.
    I was really knocked over the head about being disobedient. We’ve been talking a lot about this in church recently, as we have been discussing missions. The statement that really hit me hard was by Kathleen Norris who wrote about a pastor who said “Each one of us acts as an Antichrist whenever we hear the gospel and do not do it.” This points out to me how important it is to do as God commands.

The Holy Spirit knows enough and He will equip you with the right words. Satan convinces us to be perfectionists and God convicts us to be human. Find some scripture verses to encourage you.

For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline. 2 Tim 1:7 NIV

Now may the God of peace, who through the blood of the eternal covenant brought back from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great Shepherd of the sheep, 21 equip you with everything good for doing his will, and may he work in us what is pleasing to him, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen. Hebrews 13:20-21 NIV

All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 17 so that the servant of God[a] may be thoroughly equipped for every good work. 2 Tim 3:16-17 NIV

So Christ himself gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the pastors and teachers, 12 to equip his people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up 13 until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ. Ephesians 4:11-13 NIV

PS I used http://www.biblegateway.com and searched the words “equip” and “timid” to find these verses for you. 🙂

• Monica says:

1. To be more teachable, I really need to work on the following statement they listed on the “Are you Teachable?” questionnaire: “When I read something in the Bible, I automatically thinks of ways to apply it.” I need to do this more to really sink the word into my mind, heart and spirit.

4. These chapters just showed me how much more I need to show my love for God and how I need to become more teachable.

• Judee Baysinger says:

To be more teachable I need to learn to take lessons from others actions. I am sometimes to quick to judge others and I never used to be this way. I have not walked in their shoes and don’t know what they are dealing with, but I need to respect them and not judge what they are doing.
    I loved Jesus coming to Mary’s defense. What she did took a lot of courage but I don’t think she thought about that that much. She saw a chance to serve her Lord and took it.

• Marie says:

What do you need to be teachable? – open & trusting heart. if you don’t Trust Him, you won’t learn, follow or surrender.

If Jesus sat in your living room, what treasures would you pour over Him? What would you surrender? – family – i’ve always tried to trust and believe for my family and surrender to whatever calling God has for my kids – even if it means them being hours away when they are grown.

Share a favorite moment from this week’s study. – How does God talk to you – I have many things that run through my mind and heart daily, so if something or someone just “pops” into my mind, I trust that it is from the Lord and try to make contact. I don’t always get to, but I will always pray for that person or about the situation.

thx for the awesome study!
    {{HUGS}}

@spreadingJOY

• Ashley says:

1. Close my mouth and open my ears, my mind, and my heart.
    2. I would pour over him my time – which at this point is really the most precious thing I have.
    3. Ashley did what she could. She trusted the Lord with her life and her plans. She was confident that he would enable her to discern his will.
    4. I loved the quiz about if you are teachable. It gave me to good “how to” ideas for being more teachable.

This is one of those weeks were I cannot answer a single questions………I am doing another study, and It and this one this week blew my mind. I an in such a state I do not know if I am coming or going. I just know that I need to make some Big changes in my life at this time. I just need to LET GO and LET GOD, so will you pray for me please. Blessings to all. Thanks.

1. What do you need to be teachable?
    Going by the exercise on page 139 for me to be (more) teachable I need to learn to:
    * receive criticism without being hurt
    * enjoy listening to other peoples’ thoughts and opinions without feeling the need to express my own
    * automatically think of ways to apply what I read in the Bible
    * disagree with someone without feeling like I have to debate the issue
    * look at all sides of a situation before I form an opinion

3. Finish this sentence: (your name) did what she could. She…..
    Angie did what she could. She sought God as best she knew how.

4. Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.
    I love, love, love the “Making Jesus Your Lord” section on page 170. I made a copy of this page so that I can review it each morning before I begin my day.

• Cindy H says:

1 There’s so much to learn from God, but I also have to be willing to learn all His life lessons, not just the ones that I choose.
    2 That’s an excellent question. My first treasures would be my family. I would certainly invite each and everyone to meet him. My time…..I would easily spend an eternity with Jesus right there in my living room. If Jesus was in my living room I would ask him where He needs my money in the world. There are so many needs that I get confused sometimes.
    3 Cindy did what she could. She loved God.
    4 I have always loved the story of Mary, in all of her simplicity and trust, daring to show Jesus her love. It must have been so difficult for her to follow through with such an act. And then for Judas to embarrass her like that. Jesus was so quick to step to her defense. It makes me want to just hug him!