When Godly People Do Ungoldy Things Week 1

We’ve just finished week one of When Godly People Do Ungodly Things by Beth Moore, and learned about the seduction of Satan and why we are enemy targets. We then looked at 16 common claims of the seduced. For some of you, this may be your first introduction to the concept of spiritual warfare and the seductions may have been a shock and a surprise to you.  For others, you may have looked at the 16 common methods used by the enemy and recognized the trap set before you. You probably had a mix of emotions from this week’s study- anger, shame, hurt, fear and disappointment- to name a few. While the feelings are uncomfortable, they are not without a hidden gift: God restores His children.

The purpose of this study is not to sink you into a well of despair, but rather to lift you up on your royal feet and remind you that you are His. God alone has the love and the willingness and the unyielding desire to redeem His children. He restores you from a season of spiritual warfare by removing your feelings of guilt and shame, and replacing them with a pure heart in love with Him. Once you’ve had a Holy Makeover in your heart and found the source of your clogged arteries, you are better able to defend yourself from future attacks. Beth assures us, “God forgives sin the moment we repent, but its ramifications can take longer to heal.”

Expect warfare this week as you continue in the study. It’s not uncommon, and you have no reason to fear. Beth Moore writes “many believers have a wrong conception of Satan’s power. They think he is something parallel to or as powerful as God.” In God’s Kingdom, Satan is a pest and an annoyance and will never claim victory.  “Satan is merely a created being,” writes Beth. Expect to be annoyed as he throws distractions, lies and deception into your path. Rebuke him the same way Jesus did. Be vigilant for those areas of your life where the enemy pierces your weakness- especially in the areas of relationships, finances, health and temptations. Pray when you sense the enemy is at work, recite scripture to the devil, and ask for intercessory prayer if his flaming arrows become too hot. No matter what, do not quit or give up on the bible study and allow the enemy to disarm you! The most valuable bible study you can complete is one on enemy warfare and this one is excellent, as you are about to see. The only reason we are in this war is because God loves us as His precious children. We are His.

Please visit our Prayer Wall and post a prayer request or praise report. Take time this week to lift others up with your prayers. Be on guard to personal attacks from the enemy and pray constantly over this during the week. The Lord is your shield and the Holy Spirit in you is your guide. With Jesus in your heart, victory is won.

Beth Moore Quotes

• Not everyone in a stronghold of sin is having a good time.
  • Satan’s ultimate fury is at God.
  • Anything God does, Satan attempts to counterfeit.
  • One of Satan’s chief objectives is to make the clean feel unclean.
  • Obsessive thinking is one of the clearest signs of a fierce demonic stronghold.
  • Satan loves isolation. Be aware of anything that separates us from godly people.

• Read Week Two in the workbook
  • If you are using the CD’s please listen to audio Session Two
  • Join our Womens Bible Cafe Chat on Facebook

1. How have your eyes been opened to see that you are a target of Satan? (page 15 )
  2. Why are we vulnerable at spiritually high times, such as starting a new bible study or growing in faith? (page 24 )
  3. Which of the 16 common claims of the seduced have you struggled with in the past or are struggling with now? (page 30 )
  4. Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.

• Carin says:

1.How have your eyes been opened to see that you are a target of Satan?

I have known it for a long time. However, this study really puts it in a way that not only do I need to constantly be guarding my heart, eyes, mouth and mind but I realized that I cannot ever put down my guard. My husband and I have just recently been caught off guard. We both in our weakness were snatch by the enemy. This study came at a really good time.

I remember most being attacked after going to a weekend retreat. I was on a high that I referred to a mountain top high. Once I got home everything (it seemed) was in chaos. I think we(I) was caught off guard. Another way the enemy sneaks in….

Two of them. Being caught off guard and an overwhelming feeling of powerlessness. I am fed constantly lies of powerlessness. If something is out of my comfort zone I am fed that I cannot handle certain things and I get into a panic anxiety mode. Sometimes I think I am having a panic attack.

4.Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.

Nothing about the enemy is my favorite. I appreciate how Beth shows us by her stats and by scripture on how much we need to always be on guard. Just this morning my husband said …When you pray now you pray with scriptures”. I said that is how Jesus did it and I want to make sure I am aware that my day is full of God fighting the battle not me!

• Leslie Henderson says:

I fell behind on my comments. The main point that hit home with me was the issue of spiritual warfare. That was a new concept for me…the overwhelming feeling of powerlessness & mental bombardment are especially true during times of seducion. I also find spiritual numbness a huge hurdle as well, followed by devastation & indescribable sorrow. I found it comforting to read Beth’s words & like she said, “know I am not alone” in these struggles or feelings. Grace & Peace.

• Jennifer D says:

4. Share a favorite moment from this week’s study. On page 13, in middle of the page, were it says “We are closer than ever before the end events of Christian history.” Page 15, where it says “Satan’s temptations are designed to catch the believer off guard.” Page 17, where it says “Satan was completely defeated by God’s offering His perfect, sinless Son on the cross.” Page 30, where it says “even those whole heartedly devoted to Christ can be corrupted and seduced.”

• Donna says:

Is there a way to have the comments come up on my sreen from newest to oldest? I am interested in what everyone has to say but am spending a lot of time scrolling through the screens to get past ones I have already read.

• Donna says:

The first week was a little slow for me to get into. My favorite part was from the audio CD, the image of Beth playing with the lion cubs and being strongly instructed to never turn her back on them no matter how cute and cuddly they looked. I just listend to session 2 audio and cried the whole time. What a powerful message Beth gives about stuffing down garbage and placing the Rock of God’s word on top instead of setting out the garbage in front of God and let Him deal with it so that he is at the foundation of our lives and we build our lives on Him. I was also moved by the image of the monster rising up to tower over me and that when I allow god to sift out the garbage, the monster is replaced by Jesus. I’m looking forward to continuing the study and getting to the meat of what God is wanting to sift from my life.

• Debbie says:

Hi Sisters! It is taking me a little while to figure out the online format. However, I have finished workbook wk 1 & 2 and video download wk 1………….all I have to say is WOW. I am going to watch wk# 2 video now…blessings to each and everyone of you…PERSEVERE!!!

• Diane says:

What did I do wrong? Post not showing.

The posts are moderated and we have to manually approve them before they appear on the site. We receive about 250 spam comments a day and we have to filter these out. Sorry about the trouble. 🙁

• e.c. says:

I recognized I was under attack a few weeks ago running into an old crush at the store. Talking to him I felt like I was in high school again. I gazed at him while he talked, my back was sweaty, and thoughts of him lingered all day in my mind. Talk about Satan using people against you! He put thoughts of what ifs in my mind til I got home later that day. I was so ashamed talking to my husband that nite cuz I know how much mu hubby loves me. I knew in the back of my mind I was under attack still so I took all the emotion if felt from this attack and focused on my hubby. Listening for Gods guidance the words love without fear came upon me. The attack really backfired cuz I love my hubby now because of it.

• Melissa says:

My favorite moment from the first week’s study would have to be gaining the understanding that Satan cannot work inside me he must use outside forces to try and influence me and this gives me hope. Because we belong to Jesus He protects us. Beth writes, “We may feel destroyed, but we are not. Christ preserves us from Satan’s ultimate intent–our total destruction.” Which means that no matter how bad things get or how powerless we may feel to change our situations, Jesus is working hard to defend what belongs to Him and we just need to tap into His power and drive Satan away. Satan can only damage what we allow him to and that, sisters, is good news because he cannot war against Jesus for very long and he certainly cannot win. The verses from Ephesians 6: 10-11 “Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes,” take on a new meaning for me. I encourage those struggling to read Ephesians 6:13-18 for it guides on how to defeat the evil one. Originally, I didn’t think this study would apply to me, but it has given me encouragement that I am not alone and with God as my redeemer I will get this through these tests.

The study is important because God may place you in a position to minister or pray for someone in a spiritual battle. As Christians, we need to be aware of enemy tactics and know how to defend ourselves and claim victory. I’m glad you did not let the devil convince you “this study is not for me.” Did you read what happened the first time I took this study?

• Diane says:

This is my first bible study. I have been wanting to join one for quite some time. I found this one and couldn’t order the book fast enough,,I was so excited. Book came and I started reading, pulled out a bible and a study bible I have. Things are making sense to me,,was feeling content. Then WHAM!! I got blindsided. An old boyfriend who won’t let go, stalking threatening came through on a threat to destroy my car. I was thinking terrible things,,wanting bad for him. I had stopped reading my study book and bible. This morning I decided to read them again. My ,,have I been attacked by Satan. I see what he is doing and now I am armed and protected through God. Take that Satan. I will finish this study! I will learn and grow!! Thank you Jesus!!

• Laura says:

1.How have your eyes been opened to see that you are a target of Satan? (page 15 ) My prayer ministry has had me in the crossfires for a long time and I’ve have had far too much experience being a target. The most dangerous attacks are those that are most subtle so we don’t immediately recognize the hand of the enemy.
    2.Why are we vulnerable at spiritually high times, such as starting a new bible study or growing in faith? (page 24 ) Satan wants nothing more that to steal the victory gained during spiritually high times, and his objective is to disarm and/or distract belivers from being about the Father’s business. He wants to isolate us from the Father. This is why our DAILY time with Him is SO very important.
    3.Which of the 16 common claims of the seduced have you struggled with in the past or are struggling with now? (page 30 ) For me I have struggled with relational seductions where God will use someone close to me in whom I had a great deal of trust attempt to violate that trust causing a great deal of hurt. Hurt causes me to withdraw and isolate which is another trap. Satan will do anything he can do to keep us from being in accountability relationships with strong believers who will help rebuild the walls of protection through prayer.
    4.Share a favorite moment from this week’s study. I loved page 28 where Beth writes, “For those who have walked closely with God, the desire for a return to His intimate favor finally exceeds the lure of the seducer.” I am so thankful that we battle from a position of being seated with Christ (Eph 2:6) so we are never under the battle, and not even in the midst of the battle but above the battle where victory is already won by Jesus death on the cross. Thank you Lord!!!

• Kim B. says:

I rebuke the enemy at this moment…I attempted to post my comment four seperate times and each time something happened to my computer and all the words are gone only to retype once again. This last time, I prayed that my words would flow from God and that I can get it accomplished. Again, it vanished. I am going to MS Word and save first and then attempt once again.

Although it is 1 a.m., I will have the victory!

• Debi S. says:

1. Satan wants nothing more than to trip me up. It’s so annoying, but so encouraging to know that he can’t keep me indefinitely (pg. 29)

2. We are vulnerable at the high times because we start focusing on the experience and not the God who gave it to us. It’s like riding a bike. We pedal and pedal up the hill and when we get there we are tired but joyous and we start to coast. It might feel good to our legs, but it leaves us vulnerable. We’ve given up some of the control to the bike and it’s in those moments when disaster can strike. We have to keep pedaling, keep being vigilant, even as we celebrate and enjoy the hilltops.

3. I’ve struggled with several of the points over the years. I recognize each one in specific experiences. it’s amazing.

4. My favorite part of this week’s lesson was being reminded that Satan has limited time. He knows it full well. We need to know it too and remember that he is a created being with finite time to wreak havoc on us and our world. That is encouraging as well as sobering.

• Pam, Louisiana says:

How have your eyes been opened to see that you are a target of Satan? (page 15 ) Yes, I am constantly watching what I say and to whom. But, somehow, some way, I manage to say the wrong thing to someone. Sometimes things just fly out of my mouth and I don’t think about what I am going to say. Many times it isn’t intentional. I am reading Proverbs and praying for the LORD to guard my mouth.

Which of the 16 common claims of the seduced have you struggled with in the past or are struggling with now? (page 30 ) More than 5.

Share a favorite moment from this week’s study. I was really surprised to see how much of the common claims that I had with the others that Beth listed. I am praying that the LORD will watch over everyone and help us all to know when we are being attacked and show us how to use the scripture to fight the spiritual battle.

1. My eyes have been opened to the fact that I feel as if I am a target of Satan’s all the time. He seems always ready to come play in my sandbox with me and cause major chaos in my life. He stirs up strife between my husband and family. This is always seems worst when I am doing a Bible study on Satan. He knows when you are trying to get closer to God. So, I just run Him off!!!!!!!! Go back to your own sandbox and leave mine alone Satan!!!!

2. We are vulnerable at spiritually high times because we are trying to get closer to God and spend quality time with Him.

3. All most seven of them at one time, but now I would say it is obsessive thinking and isolation.

4. Most all of it hit home and hard so I can not say their was one favorite moment. I needed this study. Thanks Christine.

• Paige Butler says:

I am a target for Satan because I am growing closer to my Lord. He wants me to doubt God and not put all my faith in him. I loved the way Beth put it in such simple terms at the end of the wrap up. Satan is a cunning serpent and will try to overtake my relationship with God. He is however a “made up being.” Jesus always wins!

• Danette says:

This book has definitely opened my eyes to the tricks of the devil. This first week’s study brought back a flood of memories of how many times satan has tried to devour me. Looking back I see a pattern and that is that when I begin to grew spiritually and I’m getting closer to God or a breakthrough – satan sends a distraction to lure me away from God. Since I’m single it usually comes in a form of a man to try and seduce me and of course I fall for it since I’m lonely. I think the worst experience for me and the most that I ever grieved and asked God for forgiveness and healing was when I started dating a “Christian” from my church. I felt as if he was God sent and I saw nothing but signs from God that he was the one and I ignored the obvious signs that didn’t come into full view until after God took him away from me. Everyone saw the signs including my kids and warned me and I felt as if something was not right but I convinced myself it can’t be all bad because he’s a man of God. It turned out he was a false prophet and even when I realized the truth I refused to leave him for fear of being “alone”. God had to remove him and that’s when I hit rock bottom and my eyes were being open and the pain and torture began. He left me with a wedding dress and I wanted to commit suicide. I thank God today for saving me from that relationship and for claiming me as HIS bride. I no longer feel lonely because I have all I need and that’s God and thanks to this book I can really keep my guard up on all his tricks and stay focused on God. Reading the Word is my biggest weapon against satan now and its something that I have to work at daily to survive until the Lord comes for me.

• Monique says:

Doing this study showed me how much i underestimate spiritual warfare and the enemy’s plan to destroy my life. It has reminded me of how equipped we are in the body of Christ to resist the enemy and warfare. I am ready to stand firm.

• Carol says:

Definitely, this is my third bible study on-line and I can see that I am becoming more closer to the God. The Lord told me that He was going to remold and refine me when I moved up here. I was under the false assumption that it was going to be easy but not so. Even though I have been blessed, both my husband and I have been hit hard. I finished the book named “The Invisible War” by Chip Ingram (every believer should read this book on spiritual warfare). I started to reread it again with my husband and read one chapter then things went from bad to worse. I warned my husband that once we started to grow closer to God prepare yourselves for spiritual warfare. I started to get fearful but Christine reassured and encourage me. I am starting to recognize the attacks and now my husband is starting to see also. We have grown closer by praying together and God has brought some people across our path who are broken and going through terrible situations right now that need our prayers. He is using both my husband and me to reach others for Him. In between, I have been reading the books that Christine has mentioned in passing to other ladies in her responses in the bible studies that I have taken here and also looked at the book reviews on this web-site, too. They are very helpful. We need to pray for each in this bible study.

We are caught off guard because we are in celebration of our victory in Christ. I notice it happens a lot after a retreat or anything related to a Christian event. Especially when you are growing closer to Him and that you desire repentence and a change in your life. The devil gets mad but we need to remember that Christ has won the victory already!

Which of the 16 common claims of the seduced have you struggled with in the past or are struggling with now? (page 30 ) I checked most of them. The one that stuck out for me the most was mental bombardment which I am experiencing now. I am starting to go to my bible and look for scriptures that will combat those things.

Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.
    Page 19, 4th paragraph
    Satan knows that the nature of humankind is to act out of how we feel rather than what we know. One of our most important defenses against satanic influence is learning to behave out of what we know is truth rather than what we feel. Satan’s desire is to modify human behavior to accomplish his unholy purposes.

“The Invisible War” by Chip Ingram is one of the best books I’ve ever read in my life. It amazes me how little I knew about spiritual warfare before reading the book, and how God shaped my mind through this book. I no longer hide from the enemy, nor do I shrivel into a pile of dust when he threatens me. I stand my ground arm-in-arm with Jesus.

• Carol says:

Hi Christine,

Thank you for reminding me, and your godly words of wisdom. God started to convict me to start living up and see that He has indeed been blessing and protecting me through this season of my life. I would like some day to be where you are right now but some days I am strong and then other days I am not. It is a journey and the process of change may take some time. I am realizing the best thing is to stay close to Jesus and He will protect and guide me.

It was a process I went through Carol. Sounds like God is leading you through it also. I liken it to a “holy heart bypass.” God looks into our hearts, digs out anything that clogs the Spirit, and then teaches us to filter our hearts through Christ. It’s not something we learn in a book or discover overnight….it’s a process. During that process Satan attacked hard and furious. I felt a combination of sheer joy and beauty mixed with annoyance from the enemy attacks. I could see and feel the victory… and I let God lead.

• Caroll says:

I see that being a target of Satan is literally in all temptations that would lead to bad judgements being made on my part which would not be beneficial to me nor those around me. This week I’ve discovered that even the simplest of events that press me, for example to be angry, lose my temper, cuss and even things that cause so much anger that I have a flash of wanting to seek some sort of revenge,,,all of these take my good, positive energy and in the smallest things, I think they tempt me to step away from God. I want to be closer to God so it’s important I recognize these “triggers” from Satan.

I believe are we vulnerable at spiritually high times, such as starting a new bible study or growing in faith to test our faith. If we have these challenges and overcome them hopefully we can learn from them, grow awareness to recognizing them in all times and find more stength to stand against seduction in whatever way will tempt us. I think seduction is custom made. Possibly these challenges in our spiritually high time are opportunites to keep us strong…to show ourselves we ARE strong. We CAN overcome seductions be it sex, drugs, alcohol, food, too much tv, drama, gambeling, shopping, sugar, caffeine,…whatever the temptations/obscessions/addictions are. We can overcome, recognize and even intervene to help others.

The 16 claims were really eye openers. I found several that I experience though mental bombardment has been prominent. I have a specific set of work to do and timelines though I get so overwhelmed with obscessive thinking over things in my past where I had a man manipulate my work and lie about it and I have felt so helpless and deeply angry. I lost so many hours to obsessing trying to find healthy options and answers of how to deal with my situation and my anger. This situation REALLY affected me in the most negative ways. I’ve had to really work on me and forgiveness and would say I have grown through all of this in postive ways though again…the obsessive thoughts at the time were overwhelming, out of control so much so I would dream about it also be a Negative Nancy to all my friends. This behavior was not good for me or anyone around me. 🙁 Many things on this list to think about.

My most favorite part of this weeks study overall is the awareness it brings especially in the 16 common claims.

• Rhonda B. says:

I just got my book today, so I will be running a little behind the rest of you for a week or two… I love Beth Moore studies ! They are awesome !

• Sally says:

If you get a chance to listen to the audio, or view the videos do it!!!! She is soo good and just right on. I really really like her, and always get so much out of her studies. I wont let this one drop. Satan can try all his tricks on me and it wont work!!!!!!

• Lisa says:

I’m sure I have struggled with most at one time or another in my life, but obsessive thinking and isolation is something that glared out at me. Constantly feeling like I am not “good enough” and always worrying about what others think has caused me to distance myself at times. I now know that this is satan causing a major road block in my relationship with God, and the life he intends for me. Recognizing this has been a real eye opener for me!

• Amanda says:

Totally with you on the not feeling “good enough” and worrying about others opinions of me (not being ashamed of being a Christian or anything, but focusing on peoples judgement of me rather than God’s.)

• Deborah says:

This was a biggie for me also. I was not raised in a church, when I was married I started going to church and wanted to raise my children in church. After being married 16 years my husband was called into the ministry. Talk about feeling out of place. I always felt that I was not worthy to be a pastors wife. Then about 4 years ago I went to a retreat for pastor’s wives and God spoke to me. He said “It doesn’t matter that I was not raised in church. He had brought me to this place (or position) in my life and He will equip me.” I have never forgotten this and have it written down so when I start to feel unworthy I can just pull it out and be reminded of what God told me.

• Renee says:

1. It can be little things as well as the big obvious things – what ever will wreck your testimony.
    2. To destroy your relationship with God; he feels threatened even more.
    3. In was in a 12 year period of bondage … So just about all of them!

• Holly says:

Thank you Renee for sharing that you were in a 12 year period of bondage. I remained in a relationship for about 10 years, knowing I should not, constantly being persuaded by my “lover” to live a lifestyle of sin (using drugs, having sex, viewing pornography, filthy language, disrespecting my parents just to name a few). I can’t tell you the number of times over the years I have tried to ‘repray’ the sinner’s prayer sure that it must not have worked on me because “real” christians don’t allow themselves to sin like that. I could see myself falling into a bottomless pit hanging on by my pinky, hanging on to God’s hand that would not let me go. PRAISE GOD!! I deserved to fall but He would not allow it. It is true that no one can pluck us from the Father’s hand. Thank you God for your incomprehensible patience and forgiveness and thank you Jesus my savior!! I am sure Renee that your situation was much different than mine but it is such a wave of relief to know that other christians have struggled for a long season also.

• Renee says:

Holly … Very similar indeed! And mine was after being active in the church. Plus, the longer it goes on the worse it gets! But that being said … Once you get on the other side of it you are in such a wonderful place, huh!?!? It’s like getting a new life. That’s why I love the song (by Third Day I think) “Born Again”.
        My faith is so much stronger than before that dark period.

• Kim says:

1) Target of Satan –> My eyes have been opened to many things as I seek a closer relationship with God. The more intense my pursuit of God is, the more aggressive Satan’s attacks become (and not always in a full frontal assault). However, I LOVE the fact that my Father fights for me. I like that I don’t have to face battles and warfare without the One who loves me. I try to remember to “lift up my Banner.” It requires total reliance on God.
    2) During spiritually high times, that is when we are drawing ever closer to God. Satan’s HATES that. The evil one makes it his primary mission to steal our hearts, kill our love, and destroy our relationship with God. He won’t rest until he has utterly broken and disassembled our lives in Christ and our love for our Father.
    4) One of my favorite quotes from Week 1 –> “…people with a genuine heart for God cannot remain in a practice of sin…For those who have walked closely with God, the desire for a return to His intimate favor finally exceeds the lure of their seducer.”

• Debby says:

How have your eyes been opened to see that you are a target of Satan? (page 15 ) I know that when you think you are doing ok is when Satan hits. And it is usually so subtle that by the time you realize where it is coming from, patterns have been made. We have to be so aware of his attacks.

Why are we vulnerable at spiritually high times, such as starting a new bible study or growing in faith? (page 24 ) Satan’s goal is to keep us from our spiritual high times. that is usually when we think we have ‘arrived’. Yet that is the time we are most vulnerable!

• Allison says:

When I read Beth’s sentence: “They (temptations) are tailor-made to catch the believer off guard.” I came to a bit of a realization. The very things that make us the most vulnerable are the very things Satan tempts us with. Wow…I am not quite sure how I feel about “tailor-made” temptations by the enemy, but now I will be more aware of the triggers.

It seems to be almost like catching an opponent off guard…I don’t follow sports in great detail, but you know what I mean. Just when the outfielder signals “I got it, I got it!” (referring to the pop fly), he drops it! Just when we feel comfortable in our spirituality, we kind of drop it, too. We have to keep our eye .on the ball, so to speak.

Having come through a season (or more) of overwhelming temptation and seduction, these 16 common claims came very close to describing what it was like to go through that period of time. The relational seduction (#4) was not obvious at the time…I was trusting someone who I thought of as a friend. (#5) “Poor decisions resulted in consequences” – that sure hit home. (#8) Deception and some level of secrecy – unfortunately. Beth’s sentence: “We reason with ourselves that others just wouldn’t understand, but the real reason is that the deceived soon deceive.” Another wow moment for me. (#10) Seductive sin is very addictive. Whatever reason or excuse we try to give, we are somehow being pulled and drawn in. Whether it is for a boost in self-esteem, an unhealthy need for attention, or to counter feelings of insecurity, our addictive tendencies need to be addressed. Definitely (#11) hatred for the behavior we are participating in and (#16) indescribable sorrow finally came.

4. Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.

I have to admit…analyzing these 16 common claims did not actually bring a “favorite moment” for me personally. Knowledge is power; however, so I am willing to go on to week 2 with the courage that I will be more prepared in the heat of future attacks.

• Gloria says:

I am so blessed to be doing this bible study for question 1. this was just a reminder that I can’t or allow my self to get comfortable. Satan is constantly on the move looking to see who he could bring down, staying in the word, fellowship and standing on the truth of his word. I am grateful that Jesus is the ruler of my life.

• Amanda says:

I must have accidentally sent my last post through without finishing!

My obsessive thinking / worry is of past sins that I’ve asked forgiveness for and that somehow because of things (sometimes things that other people did and weren’t my responsibility to correct, but I knew about them) will hold me back from my full potential with God. I’m trying to keep my mind focused on God, but it always seems to be there in the back of my mind ready to consume me! Glad I’m not the only one with these feelings. I have been attributing it to just a guilty conscience, but since I know I’ve asked forgiveness, I’m now wondering if it is more spiritual in nature.

• Gretchen says:

Amanda,
      If I may be so bold as to share my experience with you. Obsessive thinking about the past is exactly where the devil wants you! It sounds to me like you may be feeling ‘shame’ from the past. IF this is true, then I hope I can send you some comfort and release.
      First, I love to repeat this quote, “Did it ever occur to you that nothing ever occurs to God?” He knew you would do/think loooong before you did, YET he still vindicates you! (see earlier verse Isaiah 54:17 NASB)
      Second, Saul was AWFUL to God’s people–and I can’t imagine you were worse than Saul. (see Acts 9:1-4) and I would like to highlight that he was CHOSEN AFTER these acts to bring the gospel to the Gentiles–the very people he was hurting!
      “…This man is MY CHOSEN INSTRUMENT to carry my name before the Gentiles…” (emphasis mine) Acts 9:15 NIV.
      And let’s not forget about Christ’s very own disciple, Peter, who was proclaiming to Jesus’ face, “Even if all fall away on account of you, I NEVER WILL” (emphasis mine) And Jesus said, “I tell you the truth, THIS VERY NIGHT,…you will disown me THREE TIMES.” (once again, emphasis mine) Matthew 26:33-34 NIV And yet, Peter was chosen too. “…Blessed are you, Simon…for this was not revealed to you by man, but by my Father in heaven. And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church…” Matthew 16:17-18 NIV. (Now I don’t want to get into a debate about the specifics, the point is, Peter was chosen.)
      My point being, we do not know the big picture God has going on, but because He is ALWAYS good and good in ALL WAYS, nothing is ever wasted. (see Luke 9:17 NIV “…the disciples picked up 12 basketfuls of broken pieces that were left over”) By keeping your past wrapped in shame when you know you have already been forgiven, you are “wasting” good that can come from it. Someone else needs your help. Someone else is experiencing what you have experienced and only YOU can help them.
      Please understand that I am NOT suggesting you post your business on this board! All I want to do is share with you what has helped me in the past–prayerfully speak with God and another trusted woman to release your burden and then help someone else. Remember, the devil doesn’t want you to connect to other people, to help one another or to trust that you can share your secrets.

If this did not apply to you, then I pray that our correspondence is helpful for someone else.

• Amanda says:

Thanks for this reply Gretchen! I skimmed and am coming back to it when I have time to sit down and really digest it fully. 🙂 I love so much the support and encouragement here!

• Trinity says:

The ideal of being seduced wasn’t new to me but seeing it on paper and that others also feel these same things was an eye opener. Last year I attended Wild West Women of the Word conference in Reno where I was baptized, amazing spiritual high. By the time I got home there were court papers from my mom taking me to court for my children, my father was sentenced to federal prison several months later, and my husband walked out stated he had been pretending to be a christian to hide his true identity and was later sent to jail on identity theft and multiple charges and we were divorced where I was judged persecuted and shamed for having a divorce, I felt I didn’t have to explain myself as others shouldnt judge right 🙂 Anyway point being I poured myself into scripture church and worship music and didnt waver , met an awesome man and was remarried and then everything seemed so hard reading scripture, going to church, praying for my husband, anger jealousy. And it shows that when your so spiritually high that Satan attacks hard and your not searching as hard or praying as hard and he wiggles in and takes this piece and leaves you scratching your head wondering I went thru all that how come I can’t get over this brick wall and how did I not see it!!

Favorite moment of this week realizing what this Bible Study was really going to delve into and knowing this was exactly what I was needing.

It sounds like a full frontal spiritual attack, similar to what Jesus experienced in the desert. Have you read the book “The Invisible War” by Chip Ingram? Highly recommend it for you.

• Gretchen says:

Trinity,
      Thank you for your honesty and sharing your story. I truly appreciate your willingness to be fully exposed.

• Julie says:

Satan seeks to destroy my testimony so the nearer I get to God – the more the devil wants to destroy/devour me. He tries to deceive me.

As I draw nearer to God, the devil seeks to deceive me. Every time I start a new bible study or feel myself getting closer to God, the devil will put in my path things that may seem easier, distractions, anything to stop me from learning and growing in the Word.

1) sudden onslaught of temptation or attack; 2) season of overwhelming temptations and seduction after huge spiritual markers; 3) mental bombardment; 7) feelings of isolation; 8) secrecy; 10) addictive nature; 11) hated what I was doing; 12) lasted for a season — some seasons are long; 15) slow increased awareness in the aftermath; 16) devastion and indescriable sorrow;

4.Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.

For the last few years as I have grown in my faith and closeness to God; I have continued to be underattack from the devil. I can see it now and the 16 claims that Beth shared helped me realize and understand those attacks and the realization that the Holy Spirit IN us does not allow the devil to overtake us! Wow! I needed to hear that!

• Amanda says:

1. I am a Target with obsessive thinking also. I am trying to live a Godly life and grow closer to God and the devil can’t stand it!

You will win the spiritual battle, victory is already ours through Jesus. Sometimes people forget this and they just “cave in” to the enemy. Please pray for those who are aware the enemy is attacking them and pulling their hearts away from God; especially our children.

• Paula says:

Obsessive thinking …I had never recognized that as a form of demonic attack before. Wow! What an eye opener!

• Amy says:

I’ve always known I am a target but the reminder that it’s because Satan is angry at God and scared of death that he attacks me. Because if God’s army is bigger than his in the end he knows he will be defeated. So Satan attacks us to limit God. And in turn God will give us strength to endure this and constantly reminds us of the rewards of staying in relationship with Him and of telling others about Him so our army against Satan can grow. We will defeat Satan in the end!

• Rhonda says:

As I stated in a comment to Gretchen above, I felt mature enough to be beyond temptations that were going to be discussed, but was I ever wrong! I am tempted on a daily basis in many ways I was not recognizing. Fortunately I have dealing with these tempatations fairly well, but now that my eyes are open I will be on constant watch for an increase in Satan’s attacks.
    Because I am opening myself up to God’s word and more actively seeking His will in my life. SInce getting away from the status quo, I am making myself a bigger target for attack and have to be more watchful.
    Mental bombardment, feeling powerless, feeling spiritually numb, and indescribably sorrowful. I think I have tried so hard to escape feelings such as these that I have taken the easy way out too often, and compounded these feelings. Awareness of this hopefully will help me keep from falling into old traps that become harder to escape from as I’ve grown older.
    Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.
    It both saddens me and comforts me to know I am not alone in my ungodliness even though I know none of want to be this way. Continued prayer and support from Godly people will help us all get thtough such time. Maybe we won’t be unscathed, but we will emerge stronger and with a closer relationship to God!

• Mary Ann says:

I think the theme for this week should have been, “Imitation is the Sincerest Form of Flattery.” My eyes have been opened to Satan’s constant attempts to try to be like God. Because he wants to be like God, he wants all of God’s children to be his. So, we are all his target.

Sometimes, being in a spiritual high time, I feel invincible, leaving me more exposed to Satan’s “ministry of demons.”

Feeling powerless and feelings of isolation or aloneness. I’ve never been one of those people who have had and maintained friendships. My mother and father separated during my middle school years and my mother and I lived 10 different places in 1 year and a half, so, during the difficult years of puberty, I had no one to talk to. My mother and I did not get along. They got back together, just before I entered high school but at the end of my freshman year, my father died as a result of injuries sustained in a car accident. He was my hero, and I’d lost him. So, I pulled my feelings inward and, until I married my husband, that’s where they stayed. Even when I was baptized in my senior year of high school, I had many acquaintances, but no friends. I got married when I was 23 years old and my husband is my one and only friend. So, yes, feeling powerless and isolated was how I felt under the stronghold of Satan.

I wouldn’t call it a favorite moment, but the most insightful and powerful for me was when I read of Satan’s constant bombardment of Christians. How awesome it is that we have God’s protection. It doesn’t mean we won’t fall into the trap, but knowing we can turn to God to help pull us out just gives me goosebumps!

• Sue says:

Honestly it’s not surprising. But I did find it reaffirming and reassuring. It’s nice to know that I am not alone in the struggle.

I think we often feel we’ve “arrived” during a high time. We begin to take our eyes off of the Lord and our focus changes to ourselves. We give ourselves the glory.

At least fourteen!

Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.
    I liked Beth’s point on “I’m convinced we must prepare ourselves to deal with the assault that is here AND the one that is coming. ” Funny how so many Christians think that all we be well in our life because we belong to Him. Unfortunately, it’s not so. We are supposed to struggle just as Christ did in order to become more like Him. While many times the process is painful, in the end we are far better for it. We need to be more alert and aware that the enemy WILL attack us.

• Judee Baysinger says:

I have know for a little while now that things just aren’t always right. Something out there was pulling at me to do “ungodly” things. It can be a shock to find out that it is Satan. Believe me it is. He is very much alive and active in our world. Just look around. For a long time I was into saying the “F” word. I am not a swearing person, my daughters just about had heart failure the first time I said it. Once that started I was beginning to have sinful thoughts and feeling very negatively towards others. It wasn’t long before I became every thing I hate in others. It always starts small and just grows from there. I praise GOD that He loved me enough to send the Holy Spirit into my life and change me to someone I can feel better about. I’m not perfect by a long shot, but I am better. Thank you Jesus!!!!!!!!!! Amen. Hang in there sisters, GOD can change your life.

• Trinity says:

I myself am struggling with that same thing and its been like a drip of water didnt seem so bad at first but pretty soon you have a lake of garbage and am despertly trying to get back to dry land.

• Gretchen says:

Forgive me if I do this incorrectly, this is my very FIRST bible study and entry.

I didn’t want to do this study once I received the workbook and started reading. It sounded ‘too deep’, ‘too sad’ and not at all where I wanted to put my focus. I wasn’t interested in ‘other people’s’ versions of attacks–especially since I know plenty of “christians” that blame the devil for all of their bad choices and temptations. Somehow the devil has created a way for them to avoid being held accountable.

So, you can imagine my surprise by the end of the study when I realized that I had checked off 14 of the 16 common claims?? Uh, that’s a real slap-in-the-face-wake-up call that I am one of those ‘other people’.

Two situations from my past came flooding back to me as I studied. I can attest to what Beth Moore states on p. 15, “Not everyone in a stronghold is having a good time.” To be screaming inside my body to “STOP!”, to get out of the stronghold, but be held captive to continuing the sin–the obsession–the desperation–there was NO lasting pleasure. Might I even say, not even a moment? No matter how fleeting of a moment, I didn’t even get a moment.

To me, this defies logic. And I really like logic.

These are the scriptures that are on my heart:
    “No weapon formed against you will prosper; and every tongue that accuses you in judgment will condemn. This is the heritage of the servants of the Lord, and their vindication is from ME”, declares the Lord. Isaiah 54:17 (NASB)
    This means, the weapons are formed and they are out there accusing and judging, there should be no surprise to us as Christians this is happening. But our hope is pure and true because we are vindicated by the One and only who can!

My last couple scriptures are to those ladies that are suffering right now–I do pray for you–you are NOT alone and there is a way out. (1 Corin 10:13) I can vouch for this truth personally. And most importantly, Romans 8:38 (NIV) For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

And this is what I held onto while I suffered through coming out of one such stronghold: “those who sow in tears will reap with songs of joy” Psalm 126:5 (NIV) I promise this was true for me.

• Rhonda says:

I appreciate your honesty. I had similar feelings and as a mature woman of 57 thought I was beyond most of this, but you are so right in saying I checked off many of these items as well! It was a real wake up call for me.. Hope you enjoy this study as we learn and grow in the Lord!

• Trinity says:

Gretchen: Thanks for the amazing bible verses this morning they were much appreciated 🙂

• Sally says:

Gretchen, Thank you for getting through the first week. I agree with you 100%. Satan does try his tricks. He worked on me two weeks ago on a Sunday morning. It is raining really hard, and I stood in the bathroom cause I had gotten up to get ready for church. Stood there and said to myself, well I can go back to bed, and catch more sleep. Satan was working on me. Nope!! I got in the shower and went to church. Rain or no rain. And when I got home. I sat down and suddenly realized Satan had tried his hardest to get me to stay home. I resisted his temptation. I was glad I went. Got to chat with my pastor a long time before church started. And got to see everybody I had not seen for a while. So believe me Satan does try his tricks. We as Gods children have to resist them. I really enjoyed this first week. I watched Beth’s video and really liked her story about the baby lions. Do not turn your back on Satan,Beth said. And that is soo true. 🙂

Gretchen,

What a amazing job you did. I liked what you wrote and the verses. Keep up the good work. Blessings to you and yours.

• Sheree says:

I am a target to Satan because I belong to God. Satan cannot hurt God so he does the next best thing, targets believers. As Scripture says, “Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devel prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. Resist him, standing firm in the faith, because you know that your brothers throughout the world are undergoing the same kind of sufferings. (1 Peter 5:8-9-NIV). Does that mean we walk around wringing our hands and worrying? Not at all. Because we have God who is Sovereign and above all Creation including the devil. We will encounter spiritual warfare from time to time as long as we live in these bodies on Planet Earth, but just knowing that we have been chosen and redeemed by God is of great comfort to me and it helps me cope and to deal with the fiery arrows coming my way in a godly manner. I have to be on my guard daily, because the devil is sly and will try to catch me off guard just as Beth stated on page 15 “Satan’s temptations are designed to catch the believer off guard.” Oh yeah, he’s a trickster…we just have to be armed and ready and ever so watchful for a way the enemy might try to get in to knock us off our feet… The following was circulated around in Facebook:

“When you carry a Bible, the devil gets a headache. When you open it, he collapses. When he sees you reading it, he faints. When he sees you living it, he flees.” (author unknown)

• Natalie says:

Natalie- Chesapeake
    I really enjoyed listening to the audio, it brings home the message