Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World Week 3

Welcome back to our third week of Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World by Joanna Weaver. Many of you are commenting how this book is speaking into your heart. I’ve enjoyed reading the answers to the discussion questions and watching you interact with each other. This week we read chapters five and six and they were so good, I think I’ve marked every single page with comments and quotes! The remainder of our study will focus on  Living Room Intimacy and Kitchen Service, so make sure you understand these chapters well. If you didn’t connect, try reading them once again. It’s the third time I’ve read this book and each time something new touches my heart.

Joanna writes “When we couldn’t reach up to heaven, heaven came down to us and welcomed us into the Living Room through the door way of Jesus Christ.” This is Living Room intimacy, having the heart of Christ available and accessible to us. A great visual is to imagine the fancy room in your house, the one you always save for guests. Imagine that you’ve prepared this room for Jesus and the time has come for you to pour coffee or tea and sit together in fellowship. We often  find many excuses not to sit at the feet of Jesus. Satan burdens our hearts with busyness and guilt, and we feel unworthy of His attention.  There is no greater delight than sitting with Him in the Living Room. It’s a comfortable place where we’re transparent and loved. It’s a safe place where our hearts are free to speak and He is willing to listen. It is home.

Kitchen Service,” writes Joanna, “is not optional for Christians. We’re supposed to spend a good part of our time following the Lord’s example. We’re supposed to serve others and show love to them- and in the process, to represent Jesus to the world around us.”  Serving like Jesus is much different than serving from obligation, guilt or pressure to perform. When our hearts are filled with Him, spontaneous serving is a natural outflow. If your heart is not in it, do not serve. Pray for direction and for God’s will and let Him lead. Look for divine appointments when you least expect them- such as the homeless woman on a street corner, a single mom crushed by her burdens, or an elderly lady who needs to be to told she looks beautiful today. God places opportunities before us so the light of His Son can shine through us. Open your eyes to the opportunities to serve in Jesus name, not in yours.

He must become greater; I must become less. John 3:30 NIV

Please visit our Prayer Wall and post a prayer request or praise report. Take time this week to lift others up with your prayers.

Joanna Weaver Quotes

• Christ wants to spend quality time with me.
  • The place Mary found at Jesus’ feet is the same place available to you and me.
  • Jesus came to show us the way to the Father’s house.
  • If I don’t take time to read God’s Word, I won’t hear His loving call.
  • We’ve been filled with a great treasure for one purpose: to be spilled.
  • Whether we like it or not, we’re the only Jesus some will ever see.
  • It isn’t enough to call ourselves Christians. We must live like Christians.
  • If we call ourselves Christians, then our lives should be unmistakably and obviously Christlike.
  • A need is not necessarily a call.
  • A true passion for God will naturally result in a compassion for people.

1. In chapter 5, Joanna described a “God shaped hole” which can only be satisfied in Him. What do you turn to instead of God, when you’re feeling empty?
  2. Joanna says intimacy with God comes through prayer, the Word and time. Which of these three disciplines is most difficult for you? Which comes easiest?
  3. DL Moody says “Of 100 men, one will read the bible and 99 will read the Christian.” Who was the first Christian in your life to live such a way that you could clearly see Christ?
  4. Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.

• Jennifer says:

1.In chapter 5, Joanna described a “God shaped hole” which can only be satisfied in Him. What do you turn to instead of God, when you’re feeling empty? I turn to watching tv and eating a snack.
    2.Joanna says intimacy with God comes through prayer, the Word and time. Which of these three disciplines is most difficult for you? Which comes easiest? Prayer comes easy. I think easier when I want something to turn out a certain way. Time is so hard for me to come by. Finding a balance between time is something I am beginning to look closer at with this study.

• Julie says:

I turn to reading. I used to spend a lot of time just sitting in front of the T.V. Now when I feel empty, like I am missing something, I read out of my Bible or search ont eh computer for Bible devotions.

Prayer comes easiest. I pray wherever I am, like an ongoing conversation with God about things that I worry about. Time is the most difficult. I find it hard to find a quiet time in my day when I can just focus on God. That’s why I pray wherever I am, in the car, in the shower, anywhere.

Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.
    When Joanna said that “Christ wants to spend quality time with me. That he looks forward to our time together and misses me when I don’t show up.” I never thought that God was waiting for me. Thinking of time with him as a time that he looks forward to makes me feel like I have let him down by not showing up. I need to stop disappointing God and give him the time that he deserves.

• Marie says:

Usually when I’m feeling alone and empty – i stay that way. I withdraw. I don’t turn to anything or anyone and that never works out well. But, because I know to get into Gods word, I will go and HE will bring me out of it.

I don’t remember who it was – but I do remember, clearly as a 15 year old praying for my own Christian family one day.

God has been so good to me to give me those desires of my heart!

@spreadingJOY

• Teral says:

My first experience of Jesus was through my grandmother’s life. Growing up I was exposed to her walk with him, she talked with him and she sang songs to him. I sat at many meals that she prayed to him. And sometimes I would see her sitting in her rocker with her eyes closed talking softly and I always knew she was talking to Jesus. Precious memories and because of her I knew Jesus was alive and calling. I did not accept his calling until 4 months after she departed to be with him.

• Michelle T says:

I enjoyed reading the two chapters. I think that intimacy with God is easier with prayer. I pray over my children when they are sleeping and ask that, in the future, God will grant them Christian husbands and wives. My favorite part was the checklist on page 94. I think it is easy to serve based on a mood of whim rather than for the Lord. It is also easy to serve to impress others. This is definitely an area for me to ponder and evaluate in my life. When there are holes in my life, I end up turning to chocolate, specifically Doves, instead of turning to God and giving my concerns to Him. While I love Doves, I need to keep my focus on Him alone!

• Elsabe says:

The first Christian that I saw in my life was my grandmother. She lived out in the wildnerness in South Africa, where there weren’t any churches. She would listen to church by the radio and I could tell that she loved the Lord. What is funny, is that I often go online to view live services. So, I guess I am following her example, just in a newer version!

• .DL Moody says “Of 100 men, one will read the bible and 99 will read the Christian.” Who was the first Christian in your life to live such a way that you could clearly see Christ? When I began going to church, but had yet to become a believer, during worship I saw a woman raise her arms to heaven in such a way that I thought “This woman knows the One she is singing to! She actually looks happy to be at church.” Looking around at the people around me I could tell that the other people at church were happy to be there, too and the majority saw God as loving–the opposite of how I had heard of Him. I had always heard of God as judge, but never as loving. Witnessing that woman during worship as well as the people around me–all so happy to be at church, opened my eyes to who God was and what church was not. I know God used what I “read” in the lives of those believers to open my eyes and lead me to put my faith in Jesus.

• Jenn says:

I am like a lot of you I turn to tv, books and food. However, I think that we are all trying to change that, I know I am, and one way is by joining in this study.

The hardest one for me right now is time. There just seems to be so much going on that I feel guilty taking some time for myself, but I am working on it. The one that comes the easiest to me is prayer. I think that one thing that has helped in this respect is this book. I find that I am now taking those things that worry me and I am turning them into prayers to God.

I can’t really say that there has been one such person in my life. However, I think that God has a reason for everything he does and lately he has been putting a lot of people in my path who are sharing their relationships with God with me.

4.Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.
    I loved Joanna’s comment in Chapter 6 pg. 98. “One life truley can make a difference. Your life plus my life makes two.” I think that she is so right, and l’ve seen this in action.

• Ashley says:

1. I turn to family and friends and keeping busy. Oh do I love to add things to my calendar. I love to do, do, do because it keeps me from having to think, think, think. Instead of stuffing “things to do” into that God shaped hole, I need to stop, pause, and turn to God.
    2. I feel like time definitely influences my prayer and Word relationship. I need to be better about finding time. Time for what is important is always there.
    3. My mom 🙂 she definitely shows me what it means to love sacrificially and with the compassion of Christ.
    4. I love the ideas of on the way, out of the way, and in many different ways. I need to keep those three in mind!

Ashley, I am reading “Today Matters” by John C Maxwell and in the book he gives a great vision of time. He explains that yesterday and tomorrow do not matter; what we do today and on today’s agenda matters most. He then advises making an agenda based on your values and each day create a schedule which reflects this. It sounds simple, yet most of us often ignore the simplicity of it (myself included!). If I failed my schedule (or diet) yesterday, today is a fresh start and I can center THIS DAY on my agenda. 🙂

• Judee Baysinger says:

When I have a “God shaped hole” I tend to try to fill it with food. It never works. When I finally stop eating, I’m just full and feel miserable. The only thing to fill the hole is GOD. Prayer is probably the hardest thing for me. I get so distracted. I know it is Satan trying to separate me from my Lord and sometimes he does a good job. I am so thankful that Jesus loves me. He keeps taking me back and telling me,” It’s all right Judee, you will get this, just keep trying. I love to study God’s Word. I can do that 24 hours a day. But I need to remember that other things are important as well. I need to spend more time on my knees, in front of the Lord.

• Melissa says:

In my mind I always seem to make my time with God such a sacred, “set aside” time that I can rarely get to it. Instead I fill that hole with other relationships, my children, books, Internet, work, and lots of busyness!
    Studying the word is most challenging for me. Prayer us much more comfortable to me.
    This question made me realize that I’ve been blessed with some amazing women of God in my life! But the most impactful to my spiritual growth has been my dear friend Leslie. She lives God’s agape love!
    “As we feast at God’s table, something strange happens. we get hungrier. Thirstier. We want more! We have to have more.” This so resonated with me! When you taste that deep connection of intimacy with God it’s hard to be content without it!

I so understand your response to question one Melissa. My perfectionist tendencies keep me from a quiet time. In my mind everything needs to be just so so and, since that rarely happens, I rarely get to a quiet time. I really need to get my head around the “come as you are” concept!

• Keri says:

1. Television, computer, and food get used to fill the hole.
    2. I struggle with prayer the most. Reading the Word is the most fun and easiest, but like others have said, making time or taking time is the issue.
    3. I have been blessed with many Gody influences in my family and my life. However, the first person that I saw their faith and wanted what they had was a very dear friend of mine.

• Monica says:

1. Talking to my family or best friend on the phone, watch TV, spend time on the computer.
    2. Prayer is the easiest for me because I can do it whenever or wherever. Time is the most difficult because usually when I don’t think I have enough of it to study his word, I drift to something else, for example in my answer for number one, and get lost in that instead.
    3. Either my Grandma Carol or my mom. You could always feel his presence in both of them and they always spoke of God. My mom started me in bible school at a young age showing me the importance of having him in my life. Today she still reminds me to turn to him in the toughest times.
    4. I had quite a difficult time one day finishing Chapter 5. Within less than an hour, I had about 7 distractions. I know it was Satan trying to lead me away from God so like my sister said, “You must be doing something right” if he’s trying so hard to distract you. The joy and spiritual growth from this study is definitely something Satan doesn’t want me to have but TOO BAD! 🙂

• Jennifer says:

1.In chapter 5, Joanna described a “God shaped hole” which can only be satisfied in Him. What do you turn to instead of God, when you’re feeling empty? I, just like many others, tend to turn to the TV or the internet.
    2.Joanna says intimacy with God comes through prayer, the Word and time. Which of these three disciplines is most difficult for you? Which comes easiest? Reading the Word is the easiest for me, with the being said finding the time is the most difficult.
    3.DL Moody says “Of 100 men, one will read the bible and 99 will read the Christian.” Who was the first Christian in your life to live such a way that you could clearly see Christ? my mother. she is so selfless and she amazes me everyday with her encouraging words and acts of kindness.
    4.Share a favorite moment from this week’s study. My favorite part was reading that God treasures that special time just as much if not even more than we do!

• Cindy H says:

1). It looks like I’m with you ladies….Internet, TV, books,
    2) I really, really want to spend more quality time with Jesus…in prayer. Our pastor has
    spoken of prayer a lot these last few weeks. I would like to understand more about praying the hours.
    It is wonderful to know that for 24 hours a day…someone somewhere is praying.
    3). Ruth Finley from Declare His Glory, International was a spiritual mother to me and many
    other people in our small town. She was bold in sharing the Holy Spirit. Even after fighting cancer this
    last year, she is preparing another mission trip to Chile.
    4). I loved the part where she showed Jesus waiting in the Living Room for her to arrive because he wanted
    her company.

• Maureen says:

1.In chapter 5, Joanna described a “God shaped hole” which can only be satisfied in Him. What do you turn to instead of God, when you’re feeling empty? I turn to people for acceptance and to food for comfort.
      2.Joanna says intimacy with God comes through prayer, the Word and time. Which of these three disciplines is most difficult for you? Which comes easiest? The Word comes easiest- I enjoy reading the Bible each morning but undisturbed time is hardest for me.
      3.DL Moody says “Of 100 men, one will read the bible and 99 will read the Christian.” Who was the first Christian in your life to live such a way that you could clearly see Christ? Barb and Arlene in a Bible study group about 5 years after I became a Christian. I was amazed and so happy to meet real live people living out the way!!

I loved the picture of Jesus waiting in the living room for us also, Cindy. What an incredible motivational visual!

• Audrey says:

1. TV, Books and the computer. 2The Word, I have a difficult time reading the word, when I open the word and take the time to read it I don’t want ot put it down. 3 My Grandmother, Rachel, she loved the Lord with her whole heart and I cold see that . 4. Knowing I can and should take the time to seek God daily and to know that He really does wnt me to be with him.

1. I turn to books, TV, and the computer for games, and things I have no business thinking on.

2. Prayer, and time. I have always been slack in my prayer life….so I am going to take a class on ” Pursuing Prayer” at my church and sees if that helps. Time problem is due to caring for an ill husband and two dogs who seem to always need something as I am going to study.

3. The first Christian in my life would be Genva Larson how was my Bible Study Fellowship leader in the late 1980’s. A fine southern lady and a wonderful teacher.

1.In chapter 5, Joanna described a “God shaped hole” which can only be satisfied in Him. What do you turn to instead of God, when you’re feeling empty? Play the piano, tv or talk to my husband.
    2.Joanna says intimacy with God comes through prayer, the Word and time. Which of these three disciplines is most difficult for you? Which comes easiest? Quiet time. I journal which contains a prayer and I pray throughout the day. I have devotionals I try to read each day and am able to do this most of the time. I’m not able to do this first thing in the morning.
    3.DL Moody says “Of 100 men, one will read the bible and 99 will read the Christian.” Who was the first Christian in your life to live such a way that you could clearly see Christ? My mother.
    4.Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.
    Pg 67 – “… the enemy of our souls keeps quite busy building barriers to block spiritual intimacy.” Pg 89 – “… we simply need to “watch to see where God is working and join Him!”

• Trina says:

My family, the things I do to feel in control, reading
    Time….I am not very good at setting aside real time I sometimes feel silence with God is just my voice so I must not be doing it right or listening hard enough.
    My Aunt Marcie = ) she still is a fine example of a christian woman
    4.Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.
    I was nice to be reminded that God is family and you build relationships by spending time with them so it is no different with the Lord. I always overlook that because God is always with me I sometimes take him for granted

• Jeipel says:

4. Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.

1) Soda and chocolate I mistake my emptiness for hunger….
    2)I struggle the most with time I always feel when I take time to do something I want to do because I feel I have so many responsibilities. Prayer comes easily I thank God daily and ask him for strength,and guidance daily.
    3) My cousin Jennifer she has such a gratitude about life.Also my friend Nina she was always so kind and patient.
    4)My favorite part of the bible study was when Teri speaks of grabbing the snicker bar and not being able to enjoy her banquet meal. I always feel like I am stealing moments here and there to spend time in the word and never get to enjoy the full meaning…..

Watching TV, going for rides in the country, surfing the internet

Time is the most difficult for me and the Word is the easiest.

A co-worker; she invited me to a revival at her church and the result was my salvation and baptism.

4. Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.
    The “How to Live Together” and “Staying Close” sections (Pages 76-77) were very enlightening for me.

“See this vine?” I can hear Jesus ask, holding one up for inspection. “See this branch? See where they are connected? Well, that’s the way it is with you and me.”

“We must be connected to him. It’s not enough simply to be associated. To be acquainted. We have to be spiritually grafted on – to draw our life from him, to be so closely attached that we would wither and die if we were cut off.

“My sole responsibility is keeping my connection to Jesus Christ solid and secure.

I love this!!!