Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World Week 2

We’ve just finished chapters three and four of Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World by Joanna Weaver, and walked into the pages of worry! In chapter three, we learned about the pitfalls of worry and how God commands us not to worry.  Many of us carry worry beads inside our hearts, waiting for them to overflow and explode…or looking for an excuse to unleash them. There are many forms of worry- from the little things of life to the gigantic. We depend on past experiences, communication with others, or even the medical community to assist us in unloading the worry. In our study we see the importance of having concern, not worry. There’s a good chart in this chapter, comparing concern vs worry. Print a copy and carry it with you as a guide for filtering your thoughts. If you want to explore this subject more, I highly recommend the book Who Switched off My Brain by Dr. Caroline Leaf. Another great book would be Battlefield of the Mind by Joyce Meyer (there is even a kid and teen version of this popular book).

Chapter four of our study presented us with an overburdened cart and heavy rocks. We saw in the Rosemarie Kokalski story how we serve others by carrying their loads, and eventually discover the load is harder than we thought. Burdened with the rocks of others, we are unable to carry out the work God intended for us. Joanna Weaver invites us to unload the burdens we’re not called to carry, while keeping our focus on God’s will for our lives. I challenge you to look at the cart you are pulling, and examine the rocks you need to unload. As you carry the load uphill, remember to keep your eyes and heart on Jesus. Make Him the One Thing you desire most.

Please visit our Prayer Wall and post a prayer request or praise report. Take time this week to lift others up with your prayers.

Joanna Weaver Quotes

• When God tells us in the bible not to worry, it’s not a suggestion. It’s a command.
  • Worry fixes our eyes on our situation rather than our Savior.
  • Worry doesn’t prevent bad things from happening.
  • A life filled with fear has little room for faith.
  • We need to keep our focus on who God is and what God can do.
  • Fretting magnifies the problem. Prayer magnifies God.
  • When we view life through the eyes of faith, fear just has to flee.
  • Take off your worry beads and pick up the shield of faith.
  • Nothing is harder to carry than a burden we’re not called to carry.

1. Jesus said to Martha “You are worried about many things.” If Jesus said this to you, how would his words make you feel?
  3. In the story of the rocks, think of your own cart. Which rocks has God asked you to carry, and which rocks should you unload?
  5. Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.

• Gina says:

I’m a little behind – but this study is just what I need today! I read the worry chapter and thought it was great! But I didn’t think of myself as much of a worrier. Then my 3 year old daughter came home from Pre-School with lots of wet clothes. She had so many accidents at school… I shook my head and threw my hands up, “What am I going to do? She won’t potty train! I’ve tried everything!” And her teacher told me not to worry! Ouch – slap in the face! I’m not a worrier! Oh, but I am… I had already began planning my tactics for when I got home: what I would say, would I reward her or punish her? Does she need to go back to daycare instead of PS? But wait – Lay it before God. It’s just potty training, but He can handle it! He will help us through it. So today I pray that my baby girl will get it – with God’s help! I give her to Him! I will not worry…

• Sara says:

I would definitely describe myself as a Martha, especially during the school year. I have a running list of things I need to finish and it often interferes with my time with God. Lately, I have put that time last after cleaning the house, taking care of the kids, finishing up things for my students, spending time with family, etc. I feel like this book is just what I need. I need to make it a priority to spend time being like Mary.

• Michelle T says:

Hi,
    I have moments when I worry a lot and then moments , like when I am on the beach, when I don’t feel any worry at all. However, if Jesus said it to me, I would feel ashamed and want to repent of my lack of faith. Right now, I am worried about learning a new computer program. I need to insert my name and say, Therefore, Michelle, do not worry about the new computer program. Give your burdens to me. I feel that the rocks that I carry are trying to fix others problems, specifically children. I teach third grade and worry about students not passing the state tests, etc etc. I need to give that worry to the Lord! I know that my life would be different if I constantly stayed in the Word. This time of the year is SO busy with soccer games, making sure everyone eats a healthy meal and not MC Donalds that I put my relationship with God on the back burner.
    My favorite part is Jesus talking to Martha saying, “Martha, Martha, you are concerned with so many things”. I thought of this many times when I dealt with different situations this past week.

It sounds like this study is perfectly timed for you Michelle! I am thankful you are participating and growing spiritually. Praying blessings over your class and your family, in Jesus name.

• Jennifer Martin says:

1.I would love to say ok and stop worrying.
    2. Therefore Jennifer I tell you do not worry about…starting a family right now.

5.After reading about worry, in one of my nursing classes the professor had a lecture on worry and how to get rid of it. It kinda slapped me again. I believe I really needed to hear it!!

• Andrea says:

1.Jesus said to Martha “You are worried about many things.” If Jesus said this to you, how would his words make you feel? I would probably try to justify the reasons why I worry so much. I struggle in this area of my life and am asking the lord to help me put my trust in him. I don’t fully meet the criteria for the “big worrier” in the readings but I am close.
    2.Finish this sentence: Therefore (Andrea) I tell you do not worry about…the outcome of “his” case. It is in the Gods hands and he has the best outcome for every negative situation. (It is time to truely put my faith in the lord and stop doubting)
    3.In the story of the rocks, think of your own cart. Which rocks has God asked you to carry, and which rocks should you unload? I can definitely relate to this story. Over the past 6 months I have been carrying the burden of another. Due to recently changes in my life I prayed to the lord and he answered my cries. He lifted the burden and even though I felt like I had a broken heart at the same time I felt some relief. I no longer had to deal with these burdens and could focus on my oven burdens that God has asked me to carry. My burdens I feel is establishing finacial security.
    4.Jesus said the one thing Martha needed was fellowship with Him. How would your life be different if you practiced the “one thing” principle? I feel it would be eaiser to focus on your daiy tasks. I used to feel like I did not have enough time in the day and reading the bible or committing to a bible study was definitely not in my agenda. But now that I have changed my way of thinking and implimented the “one thing” i feel like I actually have more time with the same schedule.
    5.Share a favorite moment from this week’s study. My favorite moment was realizing through reading more that this study is in the same line as the one I participate in a church. Coming into the study I did not truely know the content of the book but it definitely applies to my current situation and the teachings during church service. I feel uplifted and a sense of hope and trust. I can’t wait to explore more!!

• Patty says:

I am a little behind this week.. just a little busy and behind ..
    4.Jesus said the one thing Martha needed was fellowship with Him. How would your life be different if you practiced the “one thing” principle? I think that reading God’s word daily is something I need to do to help me focus more on him and pray and spend time knowing God. I keep doing, doing, doing and not being with God. I constantly feel like I don’t put enough effort into this relationship with God and really need to put my focus on him. I think if I did this I would feel more peaceful and less stressed and calmer about things in general because I would learn to trust God and put things in his hands.

• Audrey R. says:

I believe if Jesus were to tell me like he did Martha that I should fellowship with him more, my reaction would beone of shame and guilt for not taking the time to fellowship with him. There is no excuse for me not to take the time to fellowship with God and to learn and listen to Him. When I take that time, I have no worries and my day goes much better and my steps are lighter. The load is easier to bear. I have been learning not to worry as worry just defeats me it just weighs me down then I become overwhelmed with everything even the littleist thing. Worry drains me both emotionally and physically so I let my worries go for God know what He is doing and I just have to be still and know that He is my God and has it all under control.

• Rhonda B. says:

I really need fellowship with my Lord…. I have been in the rut of “too much busywork”. Between trying to take care of a husband and home, three grandchildren (while their mom works), and my work ( church secretary, church newsletter creator, food pantry director and Nursery director) (whew!) , I am too tired to focus on quiet time with Him… I am NOT a morning person but my nights are busy, busy, busy. I am doing the list of prioritizing right now, to cut down. My life will be so much different when I get this set up. I may have to give up some “good” stuff, like some of my ministries, but I will be much more rested and full when I have time to practice the “one thing”. Please pray for me !!!

• shannon says:

i’m a little behind this week….its been hectic. 4. If I focused on the one thing he said to Martha which was fellowship with HIM, well my life would be less hectic, less drama, less everything except time and energy with my father! I love when i make time for HIM and HE takes priority for me…..everything just works better and is more simple.

• Keri says:

4. Jesus said the one thing Martha needed was fellowship with Him. How would your life be different if you practiced the “one thing” principle? My cart would not be bogged down with as many rocks – little things at work, at home, ect. would not be as big of an issue because I would be focused on THE main thing – fellowship with my Savior.

• Julie says:

Sorry I am so late with this. I am letting myself get bogged down with other things and not reserving time each day for my study. Boy, do I need this study! Anyway, here are some of my answers:
    1. Honestly, I probably would have felt like he did not understand and was minimizing the problem and turning it back on me instead of focusing on what Mary was doing wrong. I would get very defensive.
    2. Therefore, I tell you, Julie, do not worry about your family’s safety constantly, for I am with them always.
    5. A couple of things stood out to me this week. First, when Joanna said “We were simply not wired to worry.” I never thought of that before. God did not make us to worry. I think we bring that on ourselves. He made us to fellowship with him, which is the second thing that struck me in this study. God wants my fellowship above all else. While there are many things I can do to minister to others and show his love, my primary concern needs to be intimacy with God. If I am not close to him in the way he desires, how can I effectively help others get close to him?
    I’m really enjoying this study.

• Jenn says:

In some ways relief, he has acknowledge that I do worry about a lot of things, and on the other hand a little embarrased.

Therefore, Jenn, I tell you do not worry about your daughter, who started kindergarten this year but has just been diagnosed with post-traumatic stress from a horrible daycare that she was in a couple of years ago where mental and physical abuse was going on and we didn’t know. Now she is having a hard time going to school, and I am worrying about her all day and feeling guilty because I put her in the daycare.

This chapter really hit home. I am a stay at home mom for the first time ever, and have been home for 16 months now. I am on the Executive Board of the PTO at my kids school, I am a full-time student in college, wife, mom, friend, etc. and I am trying to learn to not say “yes” to everyone who asks me for help. I feel bad doing it but I have no time for myself anymore. Here it is Wednesday night at 11:45pm. I just finished a paper for school and I have another one to start tomorrow and I just now finished my two chapters.

5.Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.
    My favorite moment from this week was on page 50. “If you will be content to let others take their own burdens,” God told him, “I will help you with your task.”
    and “My yoke is easy, and my burden is light. I will never ask you to carry more than you can bear.” Lately, I feel like I am carrying everyone’s burdens too! I am going to try and follow this for the rest of the week and only do my own tasks…we shall see how it goes.

Praying for your daughter, give your guilt to Jesus and he will heal it. When you bury yourself under the rocks, it’s difficult to hear the voice of God. Sit alone in silence with Him. Ask God what you are avoiding by your busyness, and ask Him if these things you do are your will or His. Your value comes from being a Daughter of God, and not from being a mom, student, bible study student, or volunteer. I’ve worn your shoes and they are very heavy. I’m glad you are in the study with us and being authentic so God can speak into your heart. Like you I have a child who was victimized, and through intimacy with Jesus I learned to trust God to heal and to seek revenge on her abuser. I did not need to carry anger or resentment or fear in my heart, I have my child in the custody of Jesus and he’s been doing a remarkable job inside her heart. Email me and we can arrange to talk by phone anytime!

• lorrie says:

relieved that im understood and not alone in things that someone is there for support and sees through the facade of trying to hold it together for apprence sake.

2.Finish this sentence: Therefore Lorrie,I tell you do not worry about…trying to please others or living up to others expectations.

God has asked me to look after my mom and to do the best at my job, I’m the one tryin to renew a friendship thats already dead and trying to cling to friendships that aren’t there anymore and trying to find someone so I’m not alone.

it would be calmer and i would be able to handle anything that my life brings instead of getting stressed out

5.Share a favorite moment from this week’s study
    I liked learning about worry and concern and the different and the resources and illustrations that were used to help make sense.

• Dawn says:

What another wonderful week.

.Finish this sentence: Therefore Dawn I tell you do not worry about…
    Diane (my sister), I love her and will take care of her.

How would your life be different if you practiced the “one thing” principle?
    It would be bliss but the best thing would be knowing that I was acting in obedience to my Lord

5. Favourite moment of this weeks bible study
    So much from these chapters spoke to me this week. But I loved the quote from Corrie Ten Boom
    “Any concern too small to be turned into a prayer is too small be to made into a burden”
    The absolute blessing for me this week has been a return to Philipians 4:6-7, a scripture I memorised a few years ago but which “had got lost” in my busyness. The words ” …. and the peace of God which transcends all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus” , make me want to weep in gratitude for the love of our Lord.

• Amy says:

1.Jesus said to Martha “You are worried about many things.” If Jesus said this to me I might be defensive because in my mind I am trying to please him. I would also be ashamed that I am not putting him first ahead of what is really important which is listening and learning from him.
    2. Finish this sentence: Therefore Amy I tell you do not worry about things that are out of your control. You can’t control your Mom and all her needs and frustrations, don’t worry so much about your house and having everything just perfect all the time, don’t worry about Leah all the time…I have her in the palm of my hand.
    3. In the story of the rocks, think of your own cart. Which rocks ha God asked me to carry, and which rocks shoud I unload? The only rocks that he wants me to carry are those of serving him and having a relationship with him. I have to learn to “Let Go And Let God!”
    4. Jesus said the one thing Martha needed was fellowship with Him. How would my life be different if I practiced the “one thing” principle? I would have a peace with in myself. I would feel closer to him and strive more to spend quality time with Him..

• Donna says:

Unfortunately I think that I would be defensive and try to justify what I was doing. I am not prone to worry but can totally identify with where Martha was that day. I like to entertain and pride myself on being a good hostess. For years, we have been trying to find ways to simplify family dinners and pitch in so that we can get my mom out of the kitchen to just sit and visit with us. Now I find myself doing the same thing. I needed the reminder that people are what is important not the surroundings.
    2. Finish this sentence: Therefore (insert your name) I tell you do not worry about… what others think of me.
    My life would be more restful. Even though I am not a worrier, my life is stressful just because I fill it up with so much stuff. I realize that even when I do my “quiet” time, my mind is not really quiet. I am thinking about the next thing and organizing the ongoing list in my head. This is no way to treat a relationship; most especially not the one the that my life should be centered around.

• Tiffany says:

Honestly, I think if Jesus called me out about worrying I would whine about it. I realize that may sound childish, but I feel like an impatient child lately. I think my reaction would be, “Then Jesus, take care of it. Do something about it so I can stop worrying!” Of course, the reality is, He is doing something about it, it’s just not in my timing, but His perfect timing.

This week, I didn’t engage very well with the chapters. I like the idea of the fog and see how that can be true. I think I do pretty good about talking about intimacy with God being the one important thing, but I think I’m still trying to feel satisfied with that one thing.

• Judee Baysinger says:

I am not a worrier so these lessons while good didn’t really relate to me. I can see how a person can get caught up in worry, my mom was that way, and it can take over your life. It’s not that I never worry, it just doesn’t consume me. I love th ” one thing” idea. That is very sound advise, though sometimes it’s hard to know which of the “rocks” are God’s and which are yours. Ever want to just dump them all out and start over?

• Tiffany says:

That’s been my struggle this week. I don’t feel like a worrier and those things that I might worry about I struggle to distinguish whether they are my desires, God’s desires, or both our desires!

• Desiree says:

I struggled a little with these two chapters, but for different reasons.
    In Chapter 3 I didn’t relate much. People always praise and admire my ability to handle stress and multitask with a smile on my face. (It’s how I got a job as a receptionist working with refugees) So I didn’t relate much at first, but then I started thinking about some of the struggles I’ve tried to work through with my fiance. He has said gently (and maybe not so gently at some point or another) that I bottle everything up and either explode, or more often than not let it consume me. Like I’m imploding with worry, rather than letting it show on my face. Weaver’s advice to turn your worry into a prayer gave me insight on how to deal with my inward worries that consume my thoughts, and give me a forum to let them out to God and that being a path to differentiating concern from worry.

In chapter 4, it spoke to me more. I constantly feel burdened down with tasks and weak, and often in physical pain from all that I feel obligated to do. I started to feel uplifted, but then was drug back down when I thought to myself, “but I am pretty sure these things need to get done.” I am pretty sure I *need* to help my daughter with homework. I’m pretty sure I *need* to cook for my family. And I’m pretty sure (and this is one that I’ve never been able to fully accomplish…or even somewhat accomplish) I *need* to not live in a pigsty.
    The thought that kept ringing out was I’m not even able to carry my three stones up the hill…I’m not in the PTA…sadly…I don’t even go to church. What am I doing that’s loading me down?

5. Share a favorite moment from this week’s study: (though there were many) “They dismiss the act of worship as too emotional, preferring the intellectual pursuit of bible study or doctrine.” That line rung out to me like a bell. I wrote this in response immediately: That is very much me. When something is moving or is about to make me cry (even for joy or empathy) I try to suppress it with everything I have. Can’t mess up my make-up or appear weak.
    I always feel out of place at church. Behind somehow. I went to a handful of Sunday schools from various different churches that my more religious friends dragged me along to. I never learned scripture and didn’t quite understand the love and devotion my friends had, but rather chose to learn my bible from the History Channel.
    (Well, at least I am trying now.)

• Tiffany says:

Thank you for being so real and honest. I think everyone struggle sometimes with the contrast of appearance and intimacy and emotions within a public setting. I admire your honesty and strength for trying to keep learning and exploring what God needs to show you.

• Teresa says:

I used to feel like crying just by walking into the place I used to worship. Exploring that, I felt it was discomfort and guilt – like I wasn’t worthy to participate in service or not good enough to be there. It didn’t feel right so I became a seeker and am so thankful that I found a place where I feel different kinds of emotion when I walk in – love, freedom, belonging, comfort, intimacy. I do not know much scripture either Desiree, and can feel ‘behind’ but one verse I do know is that “He who has begun a good work in you will perfect it (Phillipians 1:6)…in his time. Praying for you!

• Maureen says:

Desiree,
      I read your words “The thought that kept ringing out was I’m not even able to carry my three stones up the hill…What am I doing that’s loading me down?” and I so relate to your feelings. I so often read things that say “slow down, do less” but I feel like I am so particular about what I already agree to do in effort to have time for my relationship with God, with my husband and son and my parents and work, that slowing down and doing less don’t seem to apply to me. I do not overwhelm my life with activities that are overloading me. But I think the rocks and burdens are not necessarily activites we do (such as PTA and Church in your post) but canalso be mental rocks and burdens that we are carrying. I read this in a devotional this morning: Lord, I trust You with all of my heart and I will NOT lean on my own understanding. I acknowledge You in all my ways and ask You to direct my paths. Order my day and be in charge of it. Help me to do all I need to do. (read Proverbs 16). I’ll be praying for you!

• Jenn says:

Desiree:
      I can relate to your statement, “I always feel out of place at church.” That is me too. I have been trying to decide if it is time to start looking for a new place where I can feel comfortable and get more out of it.
      Remember that there are lots of us out there and we have both chosen to do something about it…we joined this group! I think that is a very positive step in the right direction!

• Megan says:

If I had to label the rocks that were in my wagon, I could honestly say that the majority of them did not come from God but from my wish to help others and make their burdens easier. Wow! This was so huge. I have been trying to simplify my life in an effort to cut stress and be able to spend more time with my family but instead of doing that, I seemed to have taken on more projects and problems that others don’t seem to want to take on.

When I re-read Jesus’s quote to Martha about being worried about many things, I felt like saying “Well, duh! Isn’t that life, especially a mother’s life?” I guess now is the time to learn how to put those rocks down and led God lead and take the yoke that I have been dealing with. I just started Beth Moore’s Breaking Free study at my church this morning and I am so amazed sometimes at God’s hand in it all! All these messages being around the one central topic of me learning to “let go and let God. ” I can’t wait to see what’s next. 🙂

Please pray for my journey sisters and I will continue to pray for yours!

• Teresa says:

Many parts of Chapter 3 helped me understand the doubt and anxiety I’m working through right now. I especially needed to be reminded of 2 Corinthians 10:5 “Take captive every thought and make it obedient to Christ” I like Joanne’s idea of telling anxiety to ‘stay’ like trailing puppies. I’m going to remind myself that it’s not drawing me closer to God.
    “You are worried about many things.” If Jesus said this to me I would feel relieved at being called out – that I’m not fooling anybody and don’t need to put up the facade of having it all together while feeling like I’m going crazy with my thoughts.

• Melissa says:

Exactly Teresa! I too would feel relieved & grateful at being called out by Christ himself. It would feel like I don’t have to pretend I can manage all of this on my own anymore… in fact He wants to take it from me! All so that I can sit and focus on Him! It sounds amazing! Now the trick for me is taking the knowledge of that truth from my head to my heart and trusting Him enough to implement it in my life.

I struggle daily with anxiety and worry. Chapter 3 hit home for me big time. I now have some new tools, armor with which I can battle this area of my life after this weeks study. I can feel Satan trying to use this stronghold to attack me in the effort to detour me from growing closer to God so I guess I’m doing something right! I stand against these attacks for each one of us and call for God’s healing and deliverance from worry for us all!

• Pepsi Windland says:

wow….chapter 3 spoke to me of how my worry and anxiety has played out in my actions to run the opposite way of God’s direction over and over in my life. My obsessive habit about both has created so many distraction which led to detours over the past 10 years that I never really grasped the power of these things to shift us sneakly away from God. I have lived thinking that my worrying has kept me safe and how many bad decisions were made on my part in order to counter events/potential disasters that ever had any real chances of happening.

1.Jesus said to Martha “You are worried about many things.” If Jesus said this to you, how would his words make you feel? totally embarrased and in need of some justification….i would have probably started blabbing about why I was doing it and blah, blah…..basically i would have felt totally foolish.
    2.Finish this sentence: Therefore (insert your name) I tell you do not worry about…what other people think and how it will affect your life and very little control you have over others actions or thoughts.
    4.Jesus said the one thing Martha needed was fellowship with Him. How would your life be different if you practiced the “one thing” principle? peace….the freedom to truly be vs become/create/need….etc. i think it would create more intimacy with christ which would change the surface and total interior of my world.

• Maureen says:

1.Jesus said to Martha “You are worried about many things.” If Jesus said this to you, how would his words make you feel? In the past, I think that I would have made me feel guilty but in doing this study, I think I would take it as truth that Jesus speaks to me because he loves me.

2.Finish this sentence: Therefore Maureen I tell you do not worry about…your parents and the decisions they are making.

3.In the story of the rocks, think of your own cart. Which rocks has God asked you to carry, and which rocks should you unload? I constantly carry around worry about decisions my parents are making (that are not the wisest decisions). But my Mom and Dad both pray and are depending on God, yet they keep doing dumb things so I just don’t understand what is going on with them. I worry and worry about it. I offer advice but they do it their way, and then have regrets. I don’t want to carry these rocks anymore. They are weighing me down big time.

4.Jesus said the one thing Martha needed was fellowship with Him. How would your life be different if you practiced the “one thing” principle? I’m excited about reading the next chapter. I certainly do Bible study everyday, and that is the majority of my time spent with God (reading the Bible), along with some prayer and journaling. I want a better understanding of this “one thing” so I can have a better relationship, an intimate relationship, with God.

5.Share a favorite moment. Chapter 3 was so great. I read it twice and think I’ll read it again!! I think I have myofascial pain in my legs— when I get stressed, my leg muscles contract and cause pain– I think stress plays a big factor in my condition so I very much need to incoroporate being free from worry into my life.

• Patti says:

I am not too much of a worrier, so I didn’t relate to chapter 3, but boy oh boy did I relate to chapter 4. I too underlined almost the whole chapter!! “Nothing is harder to carry than a burden we’re not called to carry.” That will be my mantra for the week. I really need to remember this!

I also have to keep in mind the quote: “While God does asks us to bear one another’s burdens, he has not asked us to step in and do what people are not willing to do themselves. And while there are many needs, God has not asked us to meet every one.” I often feel taken advantage of and this is why…I am overloading my wagon!!

I am going to try very hard this week to “wait upon the Lord” and ASK before I DO to make sure I am doing what He wants me to do.

What a great chapter!

• Amy says:

Patti, I completely agree. I didn’t relate as much to chapter 3, but chapter 4 was right up my alley! The school year just started with all of the sign-ups and activities. I work full time, have 3 kids and a husband who started back at school. Life is busy, and my quiet time seems to take a back seat to all of the other things in life. I heard the Lord screaming to me that it is okay to not take on any more responsibilities. There is a season for everything. I don’t need to a supermom and run in every direction. I NEED to have time to sit at my Lord’s feet and just listen to Him. Thanks for this study and giving me the opportunity to connect with others online.

• Christy says:

Have chapters 3 & 4 opened a can of worms in my life!! I underlined most of chapter 4! My favorite from this week’s study, though, is the image of sitting in a living room with God, spending down-time with Him. Knowing He sees me as His pure child, free of defect or sin because Jesus’ taking on & payment of my sin gives me this standing in God’s eyes. What would I rather do than sit at God’s feet and be loved?! Absolutely nothing.

• Monica says:

1. I would be a little embarrassed that he noticed and pointed that out but I would also know that he was right and he wouldn’t judge me, but he would help me.

3. If I practiced the “one thing” principle, I would feel more relaxed, I would be more focused on the more important things in life, I would probably feel healthier and I would be happier because I would be at peace.

4. My favorite moment of this study was Chapter 3. This is my MAJOR weakness right now. Worrying. And I needed every word in that chapter. It had some great quotes and scriptures in it as well that I wrote down to refer back to.

• Carolyn says:

Sad and depressed to realize this is the impression Jesus has of me.

Things which you cannot control.

*I didn’t get to this part yet.

I would enjoy the peace simplicity and complete trust in God offers.

Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.
    This particular chunk of text gave me a revelation: “Concern draws us to God, worry pulls us from Him.”

• Stasia Nielsen says:

The complete illustration from chapter four was amazing. I read that chapter twice. But the most precious thought this week came from the quote by Corrie Ten Boom “Any concern too small to be turned into a prayer is too small to be made into a burden,” as well as Oswald Chambers… “Fretting springs from a determination to get our own way.” these words as well as real experiences from others walks with the Lord are what put me on the right path to casting my cares on Him because He cares for me….

• Stasia Nielsen says:

During this time while we are stuck at the border waiting to go home I seem to have many worries, but the Lord is teaching me which to place at His feet through prayer and which to toss away….

• Sandy says:

Jesus said to Martha “You are worried about many things.” If Jesus said this to you, how would his words make you feel? I am not so sure I would feel ok about it. I think my first instinct would be to be upset and hurt. After reflection I could probably see how he was teaching me. I am not always the one to take such things in the best way.
    Finish this sentence: Therefore (insert your name) I tell you do not worry about…anything. I am really not one to worry. Maybe for a little bit but after that it just goes away. I have never been a worrier. I get upset or stressed (don’t know if that is the same thing) but I never just worry about where the money for this bill is coming from or if we will be able to feed all of us this week.
    I loved the story about the rocks. I am a person who finds it very hard to say no to anyone (except my kids). About 5 or so years ago, my family and I were involved in a little Church. Not alot of workers that didn’t have jobs. I was one of the ones who didn’t so I volunteered for everything. Cleaning, Teaching, Singing, Cooking, VBS, & Festivals. Because of all this I was burned out (and among other reasons) we quit Church for a long time. We are now back into a wonderful Church and doing well. We are enjoying being part of a loving Church again. We have been there for a little over a year and just now starting to do “work” (teaching). I am enjoying every minute of it and look forward to every service.

Christine, I love the visual with this week’s post. You always do such a great job of matching pictures with what is going on in the study. Very talented, you are!

I think I would have felt ashamed of myself and immediately sorry for whining.

I would be much more focused and I wouldn’t always be questioning if what I am doing or where I am going is God’s will.

5.Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.
    Chapter 3 was excellent, and I love the “Top Ten Ways to Tame Your Worry Habit” chart on page 47.

1.Jesus said to Martha “You are worried about many things.” If Jesus said this to you, how would his words make you feel? Guilty and ashamed.
    2.Finish this sentence: Therefore (insert your name) I tell you do not worry about your husband’s health. 3.In the story of the rocks, think of your own cart. Which rocks has God asked you to carry, and which rocks should you unload? I realized several years ago that I was not a superwomen and could not do it all. I discovered this by taking on waaaaayyyy too much at church because no one else was volunteering and I figured I had some time so said yes. Big mistake because I had not sought God’s guidance prior to accepting. Half way through the year I heard him loud and clear. Today I would say that these studies are the rocks God asked me to carry. Right now I don’t have any rocks that need to be unloaded.
    4.Jesus said the one thing Martha needed was fellowship with Him. How would your life be different if you practiced the “one thing” principle? I hope it will be filled with joy and an inner peace.
    5.Share a favorite moment from this week’s study. I especially like Corrie Ten Boom’s quote: “Any concern too small to be turned into a prayer is too small to be made into a burden.” Amen. I also liked to practical power of “One Thing.”

• Ashley says:

1. It would make me feel foolish because this is one of those things I know in my head but it is hard to put into practice.
    2. Therefore, Ashley, I tell you not to worry about your future because the plans are already written for you if you will only just follow me.
    3. I have lots of little pebbles that seem to make their way into my cart without my notice. Because they are little things I think “oh what’s one more” but before long I realize that they add up!
    4. My life would include more peace that can only come from spending all of my days in conversation with my best friend.
    5. The “What we worry about’ breakdown of how many things are not going to happen, in the past, criticism that isn’t even true, health that will get worse with stress … and only 8% are things we can solve. Definitely an eye opener!

• Trina says:

I would feel ashamed but relived he called me on it, like when your parents or friends call you on something you know you shouldn’t do.
    Therefore Trina I tell you do not worry about your health issues or your family’s education.
    Goodness I pick up more rocks out of obligation then I know what to do with but as soon as I am clear on what should be unloaded I’m going to pass the rocks back to their rightful place!
    My life would be more peaceful, I wouldn’t always be on the verge of being cranky all the time or that I wasn’t enough I could rest….I would feel/be more of the person I was created to be and I could stop putting so much pressure on my family and myself to fill what only Jesus can.
    5.Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.
    Definitely the story of the man hauling the rocks

1. If Jesus said that to me…….I would be upset and feel very unworthy. I would be about straightening up my life and going more about Jesus work.

2. Therefore, Sue, I will tell you not to worry over things you have no control over or your family , moving, and the big one money.

3. Rocks to carry……..Jesus, my family, Alec’s health, and my dogs. Not to carry……worry about money, food, and the house.

4. To fellowship with Him should be number one in my life and of others. Pray, read the Bible more, and to be with Christians……..this will give me more time to spend with Him.

5. The fog was good……I tend to clutter my mind with to much……like the fog takes over and needs to disperse so my mind will be clearer.

• Jace says:

5) God has used this book so much in my life already. I don’t know why I’m amazed when He’s true to word: Draw near to me, and I will draw near to you. Since I’ve been working through the Bible study, I hear His voice so clearly now…almost like He lives inside me. 🙂 My favorite moment from this week’s portions came as I read Chapter 4. The day before I was so proud of everything that I’d accomplished. As I busied myself with house work, dinner, laundry, I kept thinking how impressed my husband was going to be when he got in from work that evening. But before I went to bed that night and as I reflected on my day, I was dissatisfied. Something within me was left undone, wasn’t pleased, felt as though I’d failed in some regard. I prayed and asked God to reveal what I’d missed. I’d put Him first that day, carving some quiet time with Him before my 15-month-old twins awoke. I was at a loss for what went wrong. Receiving no relief from the guilt of whatever it was, I went to bed discouraged.

I woke early the next morning to begin reading Chapter 4. Reading pages 60-61, God spoke loud and clear. I knew where I went wrong the day before. “But regardless of our temperament, regardless of our emotional preference, we are all called to intimacy with God… . Just come as you are. As a child of God. Children, after all, love intimacy.”

In all my Martha frenzy, I’d done nothing to build relationship or promote intimacy with my sons. Oh…thank you, Father, for your guidance and your gentle correction. How I can so easily get engulfed with my to-do list, my “service”, my work that I forget my priorities. My favorite moment this week was God’s gentle reminder that Mary wasn’t just sitting at the feet of Jesus, but she was building relationship with others around her as well. Father, help me to remember that we are called to love You and to love others…starting first with those you’ve entrusted to our care.

May you be blessed.

@ blessedstillness.com

• Cindy H says:

1) I can just hear Jesus saying that very thing to me! It makes me feel sad and unworthy.
    2) Therefore, Cindy, I tell you not to worry about your family or your future.
    3) That is what I am trying to sort out right now! I think this very thing happened to me this summer. I jumped right in to write a grant for a very worthwhile project…..just what God wanted me to do in my retirement, I thought! It was a lot of work and took a lot of time…..and we didn’t get the grant! Hmmm, now I am thinking that was a rock that I wasn’t meant to carry!! The story of the rocks really made me stop and think.
    4) That’s what I am determined to find out! What a pleasure and delight to have the time in my life now to spend more and more time to fellowship with Jesus!
    5) I loved these two chapters! There were so many favorites. Her description of the fog led me to really think…..how our mind can disperse the fog of worry into billions of fear droplets obscuring God’s face.

• Jace says:

I loved the fog illustration as well, Cindy. Joyce Meyer says that FEAR is

False
      Evidence
      Appearing
      Real

What better way to illustrate it than with the fog example. It’s really just false ideas, imaginations, worries that get blown so far out of proportion that that’s all we can see. That’s why we have to stay so grounded in the word. It’s easy to let that Fear Fog cloud our vision if we’re not careful.

• Marie says:

Jesus said to Martha “You are worried about many things.” If Jesus said this to you, how would his words make you feel? – Convicted – and I often find myself saying…God, I can’t do anything about it..I’m just gonna trust you.

In the story of the rocks, think of your own cart. Which rocks has God asked you to carry, and which rocks should you unload? – We want to help so many people…its true. We get frustrated when we can’t do it all but we just lose sight of the fact that we don’t have to. but more importantly….we don’t have to feel guilty for not doing it all. That is a load that weighs many down.

Jesus said the one thing Martha needed was fellowship with Him. How would your life be different if you practiced the “one thing” principle? – relationships take work and we often forget this.

Share a favorite moment from this week’s study. – I love the quote “we were simply not wired for worry, not fashioned for fear…we need to find a way to leave chronic anxiety behind” – that is the problem many of us deal with. “chronic” worry. it zaps us of all energy. it was good to be reminded.

@spreadingJOY