In scripture, Jesus gave many examples of how Satan attacks, so I feel comfortable exposing Satan’s recent attempts in a spiritual war against me. Some of you have been following the events through the Bible Cafe chat room or via Twitter. Here are the five events which happened this past month.
- I receive a phone call telling me a check is bad and realize I had accidentally pulled out checks from a closed account. The pink checks are printed with the Breast Cancer Awareness symbol and the pattern is identical to my new checks, so it was an easy mistake and I spent many days correcting it. I prayed for financial peace and rebuked Satan for messing with my finances.
- My land line phone is accidentally disconnected and when I dial my home phone number, a woman answers. She informs me she has a new phone line and I realize she is receiving my calls. I spend time arguing with my phone company until they finally realize their mistake and send someone to correct the problem. I prayed for peace and rebuked Satan for stealing my lines of communication.
- My husband is laid-off from his job without prior notice and he is depressed and angry towards our family. We’ve been through many job losses and I know God will protect and provide, so instead of worrying I spend my time helping my husband adjust emotionally. I prayed for peace in our home and rebuked Satan for messing with my husband.
- My computer is a lifeline to my ministry and my business, and it suddenly freezes up and stops working. The man in technical support informs me I need to reset the entire operating system, after backing up the data. I deliver the computer to the repair shop and need to trust the data will not be lost. My ability to communicate effectively is terminated for more than a week. I pray for God to save my data and to restore the computer to full function. I rebuke Satan for slowing down my pace in ministry and at work.
- After my mammogram today, the nurse looks at the images and says they’re fine, so I can dress. I’m dressed and have both feet out the door when she calls my name “Christine, you need to come back in. There is a tiny spot, you’d need a magnifying glass to see it, and maybe you moved during the image. I need to take another one.” I knew instantly Satan was again involved, blurring the image and tempting me to worry and fear as I wait for the final results. I rebuke Satan for wanting me to worry and I give thanks to God for loving me so much.
I realize my exposure begins and ends with breast cancer awareness. Going deeper, my real discovery was an awareness of Satan. As Christians, we need to be aware of his schemes and how he attempts to rob us of peace and joy. Satan does not have access to our minds and hearts, however he can influence them. He can cause worry about our finances, cause anger as we enlist others to correct their faults, discourage husbands and wives through job loss, disable our ability to work or minister to others, and place seeds of fear about a medical exam. The enemy does this to expose our weaknesses and to turn our hearts and minds towards Christ. As long as we are members of God’s family and He calls us children…the enemy will continue to expose tiny specks of weakness inside our hearts and minds.
The next time you feel burdened by a spiritual attack, know what it is and rebuke Satan. The enemy will seek to annoy, distract, deceive and discourage you- and in some cases he just may pounce on you! Question everything ….and filter your thoughts through the Holy Spirit inside you. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Phil 4:7 NIV
Scripture Verses on Satan
- Stay alert! Watch out for your great enemy, the devil. He prowls around like a roaring lion, looking for someone to devour. 1 Peter 5:8 NLT
- Put on every piece of God’s armor so you will be able to resist the enemy. After the battle you will still be standing firm. Eph 6:13 NLT
- And the last enemy to be destroyed is death. 1 Cor 15:26 NLT
- I have given you authority over all the power of the enemy, and you can walk among snakes and scorpions and crush them. Luke 10:19 NLT
- When the watchman sees the enemy coming, he sounds the alarm to warn the people. Ezekiel 33:3 NLT
- Satan will use all sorts of displays of power through signs and wonders that serve the lie. 2 Thes 2:9 NIV
- Why has Satan filled your heart that you should lie to and attempt to deceive the Holy Spirit. Acts 5:3 AMP