The Gospel of Ruth Online Bible Study Starts August 29, 2011

New online bible studies are starting August 29, 2011 and one is called The Gospel of Ruth by Carolyn Custis James.We’re excited to have ministry leader Shannon Barr lead this bible study here at the Womens Bible Cafe. In order to participate in this 6-week bible study, you’ll need a copy of the book, available at Amazon or a Christian bookstore. In this book we discover that Naomi, the female Job, is the center of the story. According to the author, the story of Ruth is about how Boaz and Ruth “formed a glimpse of the Old Testament Blessed Alliance, as male and female partner in a holy cause, and both thrive as Yahweh’s image bearers.”  The story begins with Naomi’s suffering and ends with Naomi holding the future in her arms. It examines this question:  Is God good for women?

This is a book format with study questions at the end of each chapter, so we recommend a notebook or journal to record your answers. Once a week on Monday we’ll have an online discussion of The Gospel of Ruth. You’ll read your book at home two chapters each week, answer the study questions, and then join us on Monday’s to participate in a group discussion. There is no set time for the discussions, just show up and participate! We recommend you register for the Womens Bible Cafe by email so you’ll know when the discussion has started.

If you are new to online bible study, please Read the Bible Cafe Getting Started Page

Reading Schedule for The Gospel of Ruth

• August 29, 2011- Launch day, start reading ‘NIV Text of Ruth” and “Introduction: What Women Want to Know”
  • September 6, 2011- Discuss Introduction, start reading chapters 1 and 2
  • September 12, 2011- Discuss Chapters 1 and 2, start reading chapters 3 and 4
  • September 19, 2011- Discuss Chapters 3 and 4, start reading chapters 5 and 6
  • September 26, 2011- Discuss Chapters 5 and 6, start reading chapters 7 and 8
  • October 3, 2011- Discuss Chapters 7 and 8, start reading chapters 9 and 10
  • October 10, 2011- Discuss Chapters 9 and 10

How to Participate in the The Gospel of Ruth Online Bible Study

• Get a copy of The Gospel of Ruth by Carolyn Custis James
  • Introduce yourself: Post a comment below with your name, where you are from, and answer to this question- What is your favorite memory from Summer 2011?

• Terri Kennedy says:

Hi, I am Terri. Originally from Texas. Moved to Colorado 2 years ago. I just found this web-site this morning. Can’t wait to get started. God has shown himself to be faithful to my family this summer in so many ways. My favorite is His faithfulness to my 28 year old daughter who is battling thyroid cancer. All is going well as she approaches her second surgery on Nov. 9th and one radiation treatment to follow. Please, pray for her complete healing. My favorite memories this summer has been fun and laughter time spent with family and friends.

• Mamie says:

Hello Ladies:-) I am Mamie, a graduate student in FL (pray for me, please) and I got up this morning and had it on my heart that I needed to find a bible study filling to my spiritual growth. So, here I am.-a newbie to this online bible study concept, but excited none the less!

A summer memory of mine is working at the Boys & Girls Club in Georgia! I was the Teen Specialist and we had so much fun and shared so many memories! I miss those kids!

Talk to everyone soon!

• Cynthia says:

My name is Cynthia and I’m from Florida. I’m excited about starting this bible study. My most memoriable moment is vacationing with my family.

• Sarah says:

I am from FL. I am starting a little late but I cant wait to get started!

• Joni says:

Joni, Aiken, SC. I too am waiting for the book. I got an email, and it’s on it’s way, but they say it can take up to 10 business days. Talk to everyone next week.

• Selina says:

Hello! I’m Selina from Texas. I saw your site yesterday and ordered the book today. I can’t wait to get started!!!

• Stephanie says:

This is Stephanie from Missouri. I just found your site and ordered the book today so I will be a little behind but I am excited to join in! My favorite summer memory was enjoying our yearly trip to a Major League Baseball game with the whole family.

• Kelli says:

I’m excited about reading James’ perspective of Ruth, while also learning how to use my Kindle and how an online Bible study works!

• ruth russi says:

Spending time with my teenage sons!!

• Jennifer says:

My name is Jennifer and I am from Lancaster, Pa. My favorite summer memory includes making a 75′ long waterslide near our home for my daughter’s 13th birthday party, then covering all the guests in dishwashing soap and watching them slide!!!

• Sandy says:

Sandy from Las Vegas, NV

• Linda says:

Linda from Milton, FL.
    My favorite summer 2011 memory is spending a day at the zoo with my husband and 2 yr old grandson. My camera was stolen that day while there so all the memories I have is stored only in my mind and journal.

Looking forward to this study and meeting all of you.

• Joni says:

Joni, Aiken SC. Visiting with our granddaughter in MA.

• Carmen Wilson says:

I have alreadtyread & answered question at the end of the introduction. I assume we are waithing for tomorrow to start discussion since today is Labor Day?

• Kim says:

Kim from Scottsdale, AZ…my favorite memory from this summer was spending a week chaperoning 10 teenagers at a swim meet in Oregon…it was such fun and wonderful to escape the arizona heat for a bit. I am exciting for this bible study, I have never done anything like this online so I am really looking forward to it…

• Sherrie says:

Hello! I am Sherrie from Colorado. I just found this site and am quite excited!
    Anyway, my favorite summer 2011 memory is having my sister and nieces visit and taking a nature hike on Lookout Mountain.

• Tracy says:

Tracy from Pennsylvania. My favorite memory from this past summer is just spending time with my children and husband.

• Kimberly says:

Kimberly Hornsby from Belton, Texas!! My favorite Summer memory was going with the youth on a mission trip to Alaska! You can not go to Alaska and not marvel at God’s wonder!!

• Joni says:

Joni from Aiken SC again…When all else fails, READ DIRECTIONS. I’m going to fail this first study already–my first try. I don’t know what it means “Your comment is awaiting moderation.” But reading direcitons–the question is relating to 2011. Guess that was seeing our only grandchild after a whole year.

“Your comment is awaiting moderation.” this is a spam filter and we have to manually click a button that says “approve” before your comment appears on the website. We’ve had 18,000+ spam comments so we need to block them.

• Joni says:

Joni from Aiken SC. So many wonderful memories. So lucky to have had great parents, and great husband and kids. One favorite was a few years ago when we met the family in MA at Disney World. It was great, because we asked our little granddaughter what did she like best about Disney World. “Being with my family,” she replied without hesitation. Now that was special!

• Autumn says:

I’m Autumn, formerly from Arizona, but just moved to Watauga Texas a couple days ago. 🙂 Summer of 2011 was a great summer and full of intense spiritual growth. But i would say this last weekend takes the cake. In ONE weekend, I went and saw the opera “FAUST” at the Santa Fe Opera. It was incredible. My (now fiance) proposed to me before the opera. And Sunday the 28th I was baptised. God is so good!

• Jody says:

Jody originally from Sacramento, CA…now suffering in Salem, OR. My favorite memory of summer 2011 is the regular Saturday morning date my husband and I are taking. Every Saturday morning, we meet together about our finances and how things are going with the kids and then we go out for breakfast. It is a great time for us to reconnect as our schedules don’t mesh well right now during the week.

• Nina says:

I’m from North Lauderdale, FL the memory that stands out when we were at a step-study we decided to pray for one of the girls in the group in the bathroom–where she got saved as well–when we came out of the bathroom the cafeteria was closed with the lights out and we could not believe we got closed in. We thought if we set off alarms Pastor Bob will use us as an example in church. One of the girls was bold enough to open the door (no alarms thank God) and we giggled like 12 year old girls at a slumber party. It was a good time–very memorable.

• Nina(North Lauderdale,FL) says:

My favorite summer memory is when one of the women in our step-study got saved in the bathroom–it was the most awesome time as we were locked in the cafeteria of the CHURCH, but we giggled like 12 year olds it was nice.

• Robyn says:

Robyn from Harrison, AR… my favorite summer memory is the same each year, just having the opportunity to enjoy a more relax pace with my family, instead of the hectic pace of the school year.

• Carrissa Trejo says:

My favorite Summer 2011 memory is seeing my husband play with my 11 month old daughter at the beach even though he hates the beach. (Our baby loves the beach!) See dad put our daughter’s likes before his own is priceless!

• Lisa K says:

Lisa K….I live in Indiana but am from North Carolina. My favorite summer memory…while its so hard to choose just one…I would say spending 2 weeks at the beach in NC with my family. That is such a special time for us all. Many precious memories are made. This is a trip we have made for the last 20 years and we look forward to it each year from the moment we leave. I am looking forward to this study with you ladies!!

• Jodi says:

Jodi from Elk Grove Village, IL

• Sara Jennings says:

Sara from Dinwiddie, VA. Favorite summer memories have included finding out that my husband and I are expecting and that we are having twin boys!!! Hope everyone stayed safe during the Hurricane if you are on the East Coast. God bless!

• Kim says:

Kim from Idaho. So enjoyed playing at the lake this summer with the kiddos.

• Beatriz says:

Beatriz, Miami Florida this summer it started very hard for our family, but is ending with many blessings, our youngest daughter had a very bad car accident back in May she was in a coma for 7 day and 38 day in the hospital she came back home from Chapel Hill NC for physical therapy, speeches therapy, the doctor told us that she would have to take a semester off and return to school in January, but we serve a great God that his job is to give us miracles, she is back at school no more therapy ready to start her last year of her Master. My husband chemo treatment stop working, but again our Lord is making miracles in his life a new medication is controlling his cancer. Our second daughter had many miscarriage last couple of years, the Lord again doing miracles she is 12 weeks pregnant and they are having twins. We serve a great God and every day I need to remind myself. “Fear not tomorrow God is already there.” Looking forward to the bible study. Sisters have a blessed week.

• Jeana Floyd says:

My favorite summer memory – enjoying time @ the beach with my husband, our two married sons and their wives, and our five grandchildren. We rarely have that kind of time together even though we all live in the same area.

• Gale says:

Gale from Minnesota and my favorite summer memory is the finished remodeling project in our house

• Marisol Allen says:

Marisol from Corpus Christi, TX

My favorite memory from this was spending time with my family at the beach, and having my new daughter Sarah enter the world.

• Rhonda says:

I am Rhonda from Indiana right now, but hope to be relocated to South Carolina before winter . My favorite summer memory is taking my son to Isle of Palms. This was the first time he had seen the ocean. It was awesome!

• Donna says:

I’m Donna from Independence, MO. My best summer memory this year is spending time with my family on vacation to Williamsburg, VA.

• Marie says:

My favorite summer memory – lakeside walks along lake michigan and watching the sun rise and set and coming face to face with a beautiful deer.

I am from Chicago Northshore and am really looking forward to this study!

• Teresa says:

I live in the northern suburbs of Atlanta. My favorite summer 2011 memory is the Believing God bible study I did with other swim team moms in my neighborhood. God revealed himself to each of us in many different ways (dreams, scripture, nature, physical outings). Lovely, sweet memories of a God who loves each of us intimately.

• MaryAnn says:

My first study with “the cafe” was a study on Ruth. I fell in love with Ruth during that study! Enjoy!

• Fallon says:

My name is Fallon i’m from Richalnds Nc. My best memories of this summer are the times spent with my family at the beach and our bike ride in jville =)

• Stacy says:

Hello – I am from McAlester, Oklahoma – my favorite memory of 2011 summer was spending lazy days in the pool with friends and family, as well as July 4 with family.

• Amy says:

Hi I am Amy for Raleigh, NC. We are currently getting ready for Hurricane Irene. So hopefully I will get to start with everyone on Monday morning. My favorite summer memory was going camping for 5 days with my husband and 3 boys. We had a great time and it brought back so many memories of growing up and going camping. Can’t wait to go again soon.

We’ll have a meet and greet on Monday, and then you’ll be reading independently for the week. So the first group discussion is Sept 6 (US holiday on Sept 5).

• Tiffany says:

Tiffany from Gilbert, Arizona. A great memory from this summer 2011 was being apart of my brothers wedding and spending time with family in California. I was able to develop a stronger relationship with my new sister in law and her family; which was a great time. Looking forward to another trip out to Cali.

• Angela Hogan says:

“What is your favorite memory from Summer 2011?”
    I would have to say that my favorite summer ’11 memory is when I found out that I had received an ‘A’ in a tough class (Labor Economics)! Yeah, I hope I never forget how I felt. Absolutely humbled & blessed because, without God, I could not have done that in my own natural strength, talent, & intelligence!
    Looking forward to the bible study! I love the book of Ruth! Thank you!

• Michelle says:

Michelle from Ohio. The best memory from the summer was being at the beach once again with my family and sitting back and watching the kids body surfing in the ocean and how big they are getting each year and how brave they are becoming as they get older. Great memories are made each year and reflecting on years past at the beach is also alot of fun.

• Kimberly Grey says:

book shipped today…hope it gets here by Monday….

• Lita says:

I’ve already started reading Ruth. And I’m at work. (yikes!!!) I am so happy to find this opportunity online. Prayers that I follow through. My favorite memory of the summer of 2011 is baking cookies with my youngest granddaughter and taking the oldest one to lunch for her birthday. Oh, and the jasmine finally bloomed after a devastating freeze in February.

• Penny says:

My favorite summer memory is yet to come as I have not had my vacation yet. I will be leaving on September 2nd for Branson, Mo. I am a caregiver for my mother and this is the first time I am getting away this summer. It is so needed. I did the Breaking Free study earlier this summer and while Idid not comment on here each week, I loved the study. I just purchased The Gospel of Ruth as an ebook for my NOOK and I am excited to try the study using an electronic book. I am not sure how it will work, but hoping I like it. I am trying to get more of my books and magazines electronically. The only thing I am taking with me on my vacation is this computer and my Bible study. I will have a lot of time in the evenings when I am done sightseeing and going to shows.

• I am Kim Grey from Altamonte Springs, Florida. I am a full time executive assistant, a full time student and an overtime mom LOL. I am looking forward to our study. This summer I was able to read some of my favorite books since I did not have class.

• Gale says:

I am from Willmar, MN. I work part time as an LPN in a long term care facility. My favorite Summer 2011 memory is the finishing of our remodeling project. I had to have emergency surgery the day that the carpenters arrived so it was an extra long process and am so blessed to have it done. I want to be a part of this bible study, to connect with others and increase in the knowledge of the Word.

• Michala says:

I am from Louisville, Ky. I work full time, school full time, and wife and mother double time! 🙂
    My favorite memory from Summer 2011 was having my husband home all summer since he works for the school system, he gets to be home all summer with the kids and me. It was sure great having him home so much…plus he loves to cook and clean so it was like a vacation for me even though I had to work normal hours! HAH
    I want to be a part of a bible study. I want to be able to connect with other women and strengthen my relationship with Christ!

• Sandy Sanders says:

I have 2 things My favorite memory of this summer 2011 is that my youngest daughter – God has now brought her home to me ( 21 yrs old) she was living in another state for the past 3 yrs. I’m excited about what God is doing. My 2nd favorite memory is that God healed me of past hurts, brokeness and disappointments I am now persuaded to run this race that God has set before me. Amen!

• Natasha Gayden says:

My favorite memory of ssummer 2011 is the morning after we moved into our new home. All of the children were there for breakfast and very grateful for the home we have been blessed with. I am VERY excited about this study. Talk to you all soon.

• Dorothy Nootbaar says:

Dorothy, currently in Spokane Washington but moving back to St Louis Missouri in September. My favorite memory of this summer is picking lavendar with my sister and realizing that God speaks to us in His details. I am looking forward to studying Ruth as I have always felt drawn to her story and feel that she has much to teach me.

• nicki says:

Nicki, from Colorado. My favorite summer 2011 memory is my family’s 4th of July reunion at YMCA of the Rockies in honor of my Dad’s 80th birthday. We had so much fun play games, catching up with each other and reminiscing. We even had a family kickball game with players ranging in age from 5-80.

• Regina says:

Hi, everyone! I’m Regina from Rochester, NY. We’re heading off on vacation tomorrow, where we’ll make new family memories. 🙂 Looking forward to sharing in the discussion with you all!

• Angela C. says:

Hey girls! My name is Angela, I’m in the Air Force stationed in Mississippi. I’ve really had the Holy Spirit cultivating a passion in my life lately for Kingdom growth. I feel like there are many many changes beginning to happen in my life, I look forward to them and I don’t even know what they are yet! I have asked a few friends to join me on this study, I am praying they will decide to do so! I am just so excited to read this book, have great growth, fellowship and discussion on here.

My favorite memory from summer 2011, I just returned from Afghanistan in July. I have been taking some time off and I am spending some time at home with my parents right now. It is such a blessing to be home and spend time with them. I am connecting and reconnecting with a few friends that I have lost touch with, but mostly I am just enjoying spending time with my amazing sister, mom and two dogs! I have many great memories from Afghanistan and I have connected with a new group of great friends on the coast, God has blessed me greatly.

Susan, Virginia. My favorite summer 2011 memory is seeing a daughter and her family visiting from Texas and a family reunion.

• Michelle says:

I’m Michelle from PA. The best time I had this summer was spending as much time as I could with my 2 year old daughter. We didn’t go anywhere “special” but every moment with her is a gift.

• Maria Victoria Razon Stinchcomb says:

I am a Navy wife and my husband is station here in Fallon, Nevada. Memories of my 2011 summer, VBS conducted at our church First Southern Baptist Church, it was an awesome experience and to be with young children who knew God and some of them who accepted Christ in their lives that’s a delight knowing God saved us from our sins, that God loves us unconditionally.

• Dorothy Nootbaar says:

Right now I am living in Spokane, WA but will be moving back home to St Louis, MO on September 10. My favorite memory is picking lavendar from a local lavendar farm and being reminded that God smiles in His details…

• Being with my best friend at her 25th Wedding Anniversary Vow renewal ceremony!

• Lisa says:

Hello everyone! I am currently living in Germany, my husband is in the military. This is our “year of lasts,” because we are due to PCS next summer, so I have many favorite memories. Hmmm, maybe the balloon festival we went to with some fantastic friends. Reading all your posts about family makes me yearn for home. I am really excited about this Bible study, Ruth is my favorite, and I just recently bought the book, so to combine that with this Bible study will be wonderful.

Angie from Minnesota, hi everyone! I am 30, married to a wonderful godly man and have a six year old boy. My favorite summer memory is moving last week – although it was a lot of hard work, we are now experiencing community living in a big house on the lake! It’s a beautiful place and the presence of God here is thick. I am looking forward to reading more about Ruth – on my Nook 🙂

• Vickie says:

I am Vickie from Avon, Indiana. This summer has seemed to fly by so fast! My husband and I did celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary this summer, so that was a special day. We also went on several bike rides this summer which are always enjoyable.

• Trudy McDowell says:

Trudy McDowell I am from Des Moines, Iowa The best thing that has happened to me in 2011 is going to visit my daughter, Mendy in Chicago, also that we are both in the Womens Bible Cafe.
    My favorite hobby is reading

• Dawn says:

So looking forward to this bible study.

My favourite from this summer is sitting outside on the garden deck in the evenings, reading, writing and being with my son who is home from uni for the summer holiday. We’ve spent hours talking, laughing and praying as it slowly gets dark. So blessed.

• Shannon Barr says:

I currently call New Orleans, LA home but have lived in numerous places. If I’m honest, this is my favorite! My favorite summer memory is being able to travel to VA for a class, but I was able to spend time with friends as well.

I’m really looking forward to this study!

• Anne says:

Anne, from Fruita, Colorado; First study here on Women’s Bible Cafe…very excited. Favorite summer memory…..hmmm…probably taking my oldest to his first day of kindergarten…so exciting!! Can’t wait to get started!!

• Laura says:

Laura, San Jose, CA. My favorite memory from this summer has been spending time with my family both at home and traveling to British Columbia and in the beautiful California wine country. The slower pace has been so nice and much needed. Like Sheree, I am doing this and “When Godly People do Ungodly Things” because they both sound so good. Blessings to all of you!

• Kathy says:

I’m Kathy from Cuyahoga Falls, OH. My favorite summer memory was the week when my sister’s family came up from Texas. The rest of us all live in Ohio, so she comes “home” once a year and we all try to spend as much time together as we possibly can. It is utter, glorious chaos most of the time and we wouldn’t change it for anything!

• Christy says:

My 12 year old son received Christ as his Lord and Savior!! He is our GIANT!

• Karen says:

Karen, Kentucky: My best memories from Summer 2011 are my late husband’s Family Reunion in June, a trip to the east coast in Virginia, and my Thursday night in home Bible Study. I have also enjoyed participating in the “Preventing Diabetes in Vulnerable Populations” Coalition. Between now and Labor Day, there will be another reunion and another trip to Virginia, which I look forward to enjoying. Summer is wonderful!

• Lynne says:

My favorite memory taken from the summer of 2011 will be my mother-in-law moving in. You may ask how could this be a favorite memory? Well, God is using this lady to mold my character & teach me the lessons I need, in order to be more like Him. I don’t see it now, but I ask Him everyday for wisdom as she has many, many health issues & is very negative. The only way I will grow is through tough circumstances & God has seen fit to answer my prayer of the past 5 years. That prayer has been “I want to be more like You! Please help me to lay down my life daily.” And this is exactly why He has brought Mama into my home. Be careful what you ask for, because God will & does answer. 🙂

• Sheree says:

Sheree from Lexington, SC…..I’m also doing Beth Moore’s “When Godly People do Ungodly Things” Bible study, so I will actually be reading this book at night before retiring in the evenings. I look forward to discussing this book with y’all online. My favorite memory from Summer 2011 was also our July 4 celebration at my parents house…bbq ribs on the grill, sounds of my grandchildren playing in the pool and singing karaoke songs. And my sister was here from Florida which made it extra special because we don’t get to see her that often. We had so much fun that we didn’t even notice the heat wave we were having…soooo hot here in SC and today is actually going to be 109 degrees with the heat index….now Lord you can bring on fall any time…we are ready!! See y’all online. Have a wonderful week everyone 🙂

• Cathy says:

Cathy, Dallas, TX. My favorite summer 2011 memories are going to a nearby lake and swimming with my husband and 2 sons, almost 2 and 4.5 years old.

• Theresa says:

Theresa from Rincon, GA

• Theresa says:

Having my granddaughter, Bailee, spend 3 days with me while her parents were out of town.

Sue Alice, Greenwood, Indiana

My favorite memory from the Summer of 2011, spending more time with my sister since we have moved almost in her backyard.

• Mendy says:

I am originally from Iowa, but currently live in Chicago. My favorite memory of Summer 2011 would be the dinner party I had last weekend when my home was filled with friends and love. I love entertaining and baking. So excited about the study. My Mom will be joining us as well. She is in Des Moines, IA.

• Pam, Louisiana says:

My favorite for the summer of 2011 is having the time I needed with my family just doing whatever we so desired. It was great and especially awesome to watch my young 18 year old turn into a handsome, thoughtful man.

• Janet Whisennant says:

Janet, Johnson City, TN: My favorite 2011 summer memory is the 5-day cruise we went on with my very best girlfriend of almost 40 years. Laying on deck with our husbands was great; getting up early and having coffee together (just she and I, because hubbies are still asleep at 6 a.m.) was wonderful. The two of us have touched heaven together for our children many times through the years. We’ve laughed, cried, ate lots of food, gained weight, lost weight, walked miles, read the same books, and prayed together for years. We live 200 miles apart now, but still have coffee together several mornings a week on the phone. I miss her so much. I am so thankful that God has given me a friend who loves me ‘warts and all’, but most of all, loves the Lord, never tires of talking about the things of God and stands in faith with me, shoulder to shoulder, for the awesome power of God to be manifested in our homes…

• Terri says:

Terri, originally from Kansas but currently living in Alabama.

My favorite summer memory is taking my 2 boys to the beach for the first time. They loved the waves and didn’t want to leave.

Christine, California (San Francisco Bay Area): My favorite summer 2011 memory is spending time with my family celebrating the 4th of July.