Three new online bible studies are starting August 29, 2011 and one is called Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World by Joanna Weaver. Christine Smith, a former “Martha” will be leading this study at the Womens Bible Cafe. To participate in this 6-week bible study, you’ll need a copy of the book, available at Amazon or a Christian bookstore. This powerful book details the differences between Martha and Mary, the two sisters of Lazarus in the bible. Martha is described as “the original Martha Stewart, the New Testament’s Proverbs 31 woman, and Israel’s answer to Betty Crocker.” She is busy serving and preparing for Jesus, while Mary worships and listens at the feet of Jesus. While both roles are important, the purpose of the book is to find balance between your inner Martha and inner Mary.
This is a book format with study questions at the end of each chapter, so we recommend a notebook or journal to record your answers. Once a week on Monday we’ll have an online discussion of Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World. You’ll read your book at home two chapters each week, answer the study questions, and then join us on Monday’s to participate in a group discussion. There is no set time for the discussions, just show up and participate! We recommend you register for the Womens Bible Cafe by email so you’ll know when the discussion has started.
If you are new to online bible study, please Read the Bible Cafe Getting Started Page
Reading Schedule for Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World
- August 29, 2011- Launch day, start reading Chapters 1 and 2
- September 6, 2011- Discuss Chapters 1 and 2, start reading chapters 3 and 4
- September 12, 2011- Discuss Chapters 3 and 4, start reading chapters 5 and 6
- September 19, 2011- Discuss Chapters 5 and 6, start reading chapters 7 and 8
- September 26, 2011- Discuss Chapters 7 and 8, start reading chapters 8 and 9
- October 3, 2011- Discuss Chapters 9 and 10, start reading Appendix A through F
- October 10, 2011- Discuss Appendix A through F
How to Participate in the The Gospel of Ruth Online Bible Study
- Get a copy of Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World by Joanna Weaver (the hardcover edition was published in 2007 and has a different cover than the paperback published in 2000, either book is fine)
- Introduce yourself: Post a comment below with your name, where you are from, and answer to this question- What is your favorite memory from Summer 2011?