Gospel of Ruth Bible Study Starts Today

By August 28, 2011Ruth- Gospel of

We begin our redemption bible study today, a six-week study on the lives of Naomi, Ruth and Boaz.  To participate in the study, you’ll need the book called The Gospel of Ruth by Carolyn Custis James. If you are waiting for your book to arrive, you can start late and jump into the group discussions when you finish reading your chapters. Be sure to sign-up for this bible study so we know you are joining us.

Christine selected this bible study because it’s a different perspective on the book of Ruth, and in this study Naomi is the central character. It’s a story of redemption and faith, uncovering what Carolyn Custis James calls “The Blessed Alliance” as male and female work for God’s purpose. My prayer is that after completing this study you will see how the story of redemption is written through scripture, from beginning to end.

There are fewer women participating in this bible studies than previous Bible Cafe studies. We have about 50 women in the study and a few will drop out before the study is complete. This is the result of spiritual warfare which is intended to cause you to drop out of the study, fall behind in the study, or never finish the study. It’s the work of Satan and a few good women will fall. If it happens to you, please contact us so we can pray for you and support you in your bible study journey.

This is not a workbook format, so you will be reading TWO CHAPTERS each week. As you read, make comments in your book, mark favorite sections, and make sure you are connecting with the author’s words. You’ll need a notebook or journal to answer the study questions found at the end of each chapter. When you finish a chapter, answer the study questions so we can review and discuss them the following week.

Getting Started

1. Before you start your study, we recommend you write a letter to God on the inside cover of the book, and date it. Tell Him why you are this study and what you hope to learn from the study. Ask Him to keep you centered and focused on the Word.
  2. You’ll read two chapters each week and we recommend you do this first thing in the morning. When you read the Bible before your day begins, you are lighting the candle of His word inside you, carrying that candle throughout the day, and seeing examples of the Word as your day progresses. You can also read at the end of the day before bed, however our experience is women who do this often fall behind because they are too tired at the end of the day.
  3. If you have any questions about the online format, please read the FAQ’s for the Bible Cafe.
  4. Please pray for the Spirit to guide you in study and to keep you on track with the lessons. Pray for the other women in this study and for the leaders. We have a prayer wall to post individual prayers.

• Monday is a US holiday so next week our study will be posted Tuesday Sept 6
  • Read the NIV Text of Ruth and Introduction  in the beginning of your book
  • Answer the study guide questions at the end of the Introduction

Group Discussion

1. Please post a comment with your name, where you are from, and answer this question: What is your favorite childhood book?

for example: Shannon, New Orleans, “Little House on the Prairie”

Author WBC

Find online bible studies for women at the Womens Bible Cafe. It's also a place where you can meet other Christian women from around the world and fellowship together. If you're unable to a attend a church small group bible study then the Bible Study Cafe is just right for you! Look under "Current Studies" to see what we're reading. Bring your book and let's study the Word together.

More posts by WBC

• ruth russi says:

Hi!!!! My name is Ruth and my favorite book growing up was” Are you my mother “.

• Kristin says:

Hi – I m Kristin from Syracuse. When I was a teen I read all the Louis L’Amour Books.

• Rhonda B. says:

Rhonda B. from Tennessee…. my favorite childhood book was “Little House on the Prairie”.

• Kay says:

Hello Bible Study Buddies! My name is Kay, and I’m from Indianapolis, Indiana. My fav book as a child was “The Boxcar Children”.

• Anne says:

Anne from Colorado….many favorites but I did love the Anne of Green Gables series….

• Michelle says:

Michelle from Ohio. One of my favorite books was the Little Engine That Could. I also loved the Wizard of Oz.

• Trudy says:

I am so thankful that the Holy Spirit has connected my daughter in Chicago and myself though God’s word.

• Joni says:

Joni from Aiken, SC. My favorite book was when my mother signed me up for a monthly reading club. The first book was entitled, “Follow My Leader.” It was my favorite.

• Autumn says:

I’m Autumn, from Watauga, TX.
    My favorite childhood book was “The Giving Tree” by Shel Silverstein.

• Melody McCullough says:

I’m Melody from Indianapolis. My favorite book was Little House on the Prairie. 🙂

• Nina says:

My name is Nina, North Lauderdale, FL. My favorite book as a child was, “A Fly Went By” and”Where The Wild Things Are”

• Fallon says:

I am from NC =)

• Fallon says:

I’m a little late…My favorite childhood book was “The Foot Book” by Dr. Suess. This is my first bible study I am very excited! I should have my book today.

• Kim, Altamonte Springs, Florida “Project Sunlight”

• Jody says:

Jody from Salem, OR. I didn’t have a favorite book as a child because I read everything that wasn’t nailed down…and still do.

• Pam says:

I’m Pam from Alabama. I know this sounds terrible but I cannot recall a favorite book as a child.

• Kim says:

Hi my name is Kim. I am from Pennsylvania. My favorite book as a child was Little House on the Prarie series. This is my first bible study and am very excited about it. I am waiting on my books and should receive them tomorrow. I am slightly confused. I see the assignment for next week but what is for this week? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The assignment for next week is what you need to do before we meet again online. It’s the “homework” assignment to keep you on track and on schedule.

• Stacy says:

I’m Stacy from McAlester, OK. My favorite book as a young child was “Harry the Dirty Dog.”

Hi everyone!
    My name is Lauren, I currently live in Georgia, and my favorite book as a child was “Goodnight Moon” by Margaret Wise Brown.

• Katie says:

I’m Katie from North Carolina. My favorite book was anything by Judy Bloom, but especially “Are you there God, It’s me, Margaret”

• Mendy Mayo says:

So blessed to have God as the center of both my life and my mother even with 300 miles between us

• Trudy says:

I am Trudy from Des Moines, Iowa, my favorite book is “The Cat In The Hat”

• Trudy says:

After reading Text of Ruth I thought about how strong Ruth must have been being alone but still having her keeping her faith in God
    . A time when I did not questions God’s goodness but his plan for me when my husband left me.
    I felt free to answer the question, because God always has a plan.
    Because God is always every where and you can count on him at any time.
    We could loose faith in God.
    Because Naomi had lost everything but still her faith remained strong. She believed in God with all her heart and strength came to her from the Holy Spirit. It makes us think about how strong the Holy Spirit is in our lives and how much do we share this with other people being an example.
    Even if we have the faith of a mustard seed we can move mountains.
    It makes me think about who I am inside and the importance of my faith and family, have they have stood by me during my times of trouble. Especially my daughter in Chicago.
    We think about the times God has shown us he still is with us even in the deepest times of trouble and sadness.

• nicki says:

I’m Nicki from Superior, Colorado and my favorite books as a child were the “Chronicles of Narnia”.

• Dawn Winslow says:

Hi I’m Dawn and sadly I do not have a favorite childhood book. I didn’t really start reading a lot until my adult years. But I love Andy Andrews “The Noticer” and C.S. Lewis, “Chronicles of Narnia”. Looking very forward to studying the Word with you.

• Donna says:

Donna, Missouri, toss up between “Little Women” & “Heidi”

• Mildred says:

I am looking forward to the Bible study but I am not quite sure how to get to where the study starts. If someone could explain where to find the first session it would be appreciated.

• Hello! I’m Mystiqua from Monroe, LA and my favorite childhood book series was Nancy Drew. Also when they combined with the Hardy Boys in a super sleuth detective story!

• Karen says:

Karen from Kentucky – My early childhood was filled with nursery rhymes and fairy tales which I loved, but my later childhood favorite book was probably “Little Women” until I read “Gone With the Wind” when I was about 13 years old.

• Cathie says:

Cathie from Georgia.- The Little Engine That Could by Watty Piper

• Sorry, I forgot. My name is Kim Grey, from Altamonte Springs (Orlando) Florida.

I also love all the Disney stories.

• my books are on the Fed Ex truck for delivery Today!! so excited to get started!!!

My favorite book was Project Sunlight!!

I’m Susan from Virginia. My favorite book was also Nancy Drew.

Hi, I’m Sue Alice from Greenwood, IN. My favorite book as a child was “Nancy Drew”.

• Dorothy Nootbaar says:

Dorothy, Spokane WA in transit back to St Louis MO – Wizard of Oz. My mother named both of her daughters after literary characters.

• Lita says:

I’m Lia from El Paso, TX.

My favorite book the “How and Wny Library of Poetry”. I think i memorized them all.

• Vickie says:

This is Vickie from Avon, IN. My favorite book as a small child was Cinderella. As I got a little older, I enjoyed Nancy Drew.

• Emily says:

I’m Emily from Ohio – I read The Hobbit at least 6 times growing up (and a few more these past few years!)

• Janet says:

Johnson City, TN

I loved the Nancy Drew series

• Sheree says:

I’m Sheree from South Carolina

My very favorite book when I was a child was “Heidi” by Johanna Spyri. I must have read that book one hundred + times.

• Shannon says:

I’m Shannon from Lincoln, Nebraska. My favorite childhood book was, and still is, the “Anne of Green Gables” collection.

• Mendy says:

Mendy in Chicago. Not really sure why, but Frog and Toad was one of the best. I think it was the relaxed lifestyle the two little friends sharing the simple things in life.

• Theresa says:

I’m Theresa from Rincon, Georgia. My favorite book as a child was, “Secret Garden”.

• Rhonda says:

Rhonda from Muncie, IN. Myfavorite book was “Little Women”.

• Donna says:

I’m Donna, from Missouri. My favorite book was actually the Sue Barton nurse series.

I am also confused. I thought the book we needed for the study was The Gospel of Ruth by Carolyn Custis James. Has there been a change? Thanks.

• Sarah says:

I’m Sarah, from Minnesota. My favorite book when I was a child was The Incredible Cat Caper.

• Gale says:

Gale from Minnesota, Anne of Green Gables

• Teresa says:

I am Teresa in Atlanta, Georgia. My favorite book was “Little Women”.

• Kathy Kuzas says:

I’m Kathy in Ohio. My favorite book was “The Velveteen Rabbit” and it’s STILL a favorite!

• Lynne from Rockvale, TN says:

My favorite childhood book was Nancy Drew.

• Lisa says:

I am Lisa from Germany… my favorite book was “Where the Wild Things Are.”

• Angela says:

Angela in mississippi. My favorite book when I was a child was “Good Night Moon.”