Duty or Delight Bible Study Week 4

Welcome back to summer online bible study as we discuss week four from Duty or Delight by Tammie Head. During our week long bible study, we read about repentance, pruning,  and sowing to please and the Holy Spirit. Tammie really dug deep into our hearts as we examined scripture verses and applied them to our present lives. This chapter was filled with so many great thoughts, I hope anyone who is thinking about doing this study at church or alone, will order a copy of the book. It’s that good!

On page 98 in the workbook, Tammie Head reminds us of these truths:

• Sin resists, but repentance yields.
  • Sin numbs, but repentance wakes.
  • Sin separates, but repentance restores.
  • Sin turns, but repentance faces.
  • Sin is duty, but repentance is delight.

If you are not already standing in these truths, get connected with the Holy Spirit and allow Him to lead you. Set yourself apart from a life of sin and shame and regret and guilt, by embracing the love of Jesus from arms stretched across a wooden cross. Read the Consecration Prayer authored by Tammie Head on page 101-102 of your workbook. Better yet, print the prayer and make reading it a daily practice. Allow today to be the proper time for God’s correction, and His resulting beauty to be revealed in a harvest of spiritual fruit. Tammie writes “Repentance isn’t ‘I’m sorry, I got caught.’ It’s a ‘I’m totally undone here. Please, Lord, forgive me, wash me and make me new.’ “

If you are a new believer and Tammie’s words have inspired a change inside you as you feel pulled into the arms of a loving Christ, get connected. Contact your pastor, local church, Christian counselor or even a Christian friend and begin a discussion about what you are learning and where God is leading you. Grab onto the power of the Holy Spirit…and let Him direct your steps (Psalm119:133) through the narrow gate.

But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it. Matt 7:14 NIV

Our Prayer Wall is a place where you can post a prayer or praise report. Please visit the page and while you are there take a moment and send up prayers for someone else in need.

Tammie Head Quotes

• If we stay in tune with the Spirit, He will lead us in every way.
  • Pruning narrows our focus and strengthens the quality of our fruit.
  • Repentance destroys the devil’s work
  • Sin never gets better. You can’t manage it, wish it away, or pretend its not there.
  • The devil loves to upsize our problems and downsize our God.
  • If we live lives that please God’s Spirit, then He shares more of His life with us.
  • Nowhere does the bible promise us health, wealth and pain-free living.

1. Describe a time when you wish you had relied more on the Holy Spirit for leadership. (page 86 )
  2. What might be classified as weight that is not necessarily a sin? (page 104 )
  3. Think of a painful time when you saw God’s peace and righteousness in the midst of hardship. What did you learn? (page 105 )
  4. Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.

• Carin says:

Ok, went on vacation & had no internet. So trying to finish this study up so that I can move to Beth’s study!!

Constantly! I find when I get angry or upset that I cry. I want to learn to “stop” and find out what the holy spirit wants me to do. In the old days I used to just get angry and tell people what I though of them. I want to learn to balance and don’t do anything (cry or voice my opinion) but have the holy spirit lead me.

2.What might be classified as weight that is not necessarily a sin?

A burden that hasn’t gone anywhere. That burden could lead to sin & we need to ask God what it is all about.

That God had it all handled the whole time & I just needed to trust him. I have had things happen that I just shake my head & say “only God could have done that”!

4.Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.
    The consecration prayer. I tore it out of the book….

• Allison says:

My times of not relying on the Holy Spirit’s leadership usually involve spending money. I am discovering through these Bible studies that I have issues with controlling the need to shop for things that I don’t need which causes financial stress for my husband, not to mention filling my house with stuff that takes up room. I also have confidence issues and tend to make poor choices based on what other people’s needs are rather than what I know to be right for me in God’s view. In other words, I don’t want to let people down, so I get involved with people or behaviors that are not Holy Spirit led. I guess these sound like a series of excuses.

Worry, Insecurities, Self-doubt, Negative attitude, Low-self esteem

4. Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.

Pages 96 & 97: Reading the list of ways to please the sinful nature chart was certainly eye-opening for me. That being said, Surrender, Repentance, Transformation are possible. An up-lifting moment:. Reciting the Consecration Prayer provided hope.

They do not sound like excuses Allison, it sounds like the Holy Spirit is convicting you and leading you in the right direction. Continue to listen to Him regarding your finances and giving in to unhealthy decisions.

• Rhonda says:

Several years ago I found myslef the single parent of a teenager with severe autism and a small child. Instead of turning to God for help, I was bullheaded and tried to take care of everything myself. Long story short, I was on the downhill path towards a nervous breakdown before I had enough sense to cry out for help. I am not going to tell you that my situation magically changed for the better, but I can honestly say my ability to cope with the situation dramatically changed. Once I opened myself up to the Holy Spirit’s guidance I was able to see many resources for help I did not arrive at on my own. I thank God daily for giving me the sense to realize that asking foir his intervention was not a sign of weakness but of strength coming from my faith in His ability to do all things.
    Think of a painful time when you saw God’s peace and righteousness in the midst of hardship. What did you learn? (page 105 ) I think what I said above pretty well sums up my feelings about His ability to make strength from my own human weakness. I gues you don’t know how powerful our God is until you fall so far you HAVE to reach up to Him for help!

You may like this song…

• Rhonda says:

Thanks so much for sharing this with me. It was inspiring. Something else I didn’t mention is that my 19 month old grandson has Downs Syndrome. The peace God has given me following my divorce and single parenthood has helped me to help my daughter through this trying time. Today I am able to recognize that God has given us two beautiful gifts in the wonderful boys. I would not trade either of them for “normal” boys. God Bless!

• Jessica says:

1) When I met a guy at college, he was in a biology class I was taking. He wanted to come into my house to study for a test with me, but I knew something was up about Him. I had just met him and I think that he wasn’t a Christian. I chose to let him in, and disastrous consequences resulted since my family found out. They didn’t like strangers being in their house.

2) Trials, difficulties, and health problems can be classified as weights. I have a relative who lives with me, and she has been battling non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma since 2007. Her chemo makes her feel tired and have back pains, and she needs a stem cell transplant soon. Her illness affects our whole family.

3) After losing my mom to a sudden heart attack in 2007; I learned that God has different plans for us, and that He has the right to interrupt our lives and to give and take away. I learned that this life interruption was a divine intervention sent from God, after doing Priscilla Shirer’s study on Jonah with my church a few months ago.

4) Learning that the Spirit gives us strength to obey God, and that He has put Himself in us to help us do what we cannot do on our own.

Jessica, I hope you’ll take the new studies with us at the end of the month. I highly recommend “When Godly People Do Ungodly Things” by Beth Moore and also “Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World.” Both studies would be of great value to you- they were for me!

• Jessica says:

I did “When Godly People Do Ungodly Things” in 2008 with my church, and really enjoyed the study. That was the first ladies’ study I did.

• Carolyn says:

When I’ve been frustrated at home with the kids and my husband.

What might be classified as weight that is not necessarily a sin? (page 104)
    Exhaustion, illness, a job.

God doesn’t set forth anything in front of us that we can’t handle with his help.

Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.

Carolyn-pray over this and ask the Holy Spirit to reveal to you if you are under a “Spirit of Resentment.” He revealed this to me awhile ago and I prayed to break the stronghold over me. It’s been a big change in my life to know that it existed- and I’m now free from it. He revealed how the Spirit of Resentment was generational, and I prayed to break it so I do not pass it on to my children.

• Laura says:

1.Describe a time when you wish you had relied more on the Holy Spirit for leadership. (page 86 )
    I accepted the Lord as a teenager, but without any type of discipleship I walked in my own path instead of following after God. I never studied the Bible until my youngest was two years old. One of the results of my desert years is that I married an unbeliever 29 years ago. He is absolutely a wonderful man in every other way, but he doesn’t know he is missing the best thing of all in not having a personal relationship with the Lord.
    2.What might be classified as weight that is not necessarily a sin? (page 104 ) Discouragement, distractions (anything that keeps my main focus off of Jesus) and what I believe is one of Satan’s more effective weapons, a busy calendar.
    3.Think of a painful time when you saw God’s peace and righteousness in the midst of hardship. What did you learn? (page 105 ) Almost 6 years ago my kidneys failed and after struggling for many years, I received the gift of life with a new kidney. It was a very difficult thing to go through, but God was SO faithful. I can honestly say now that if God took me back to when I was first diagnosed and asked me to choose if I wanted Him to remove the kidney disease, but with that, I would also lose the blessings, or keep the kidney disease knowing it would lead to kidney failure and a transplant, without a doubt I would choose to keep the disease and with it the blessings. His Peace that passes all understanding became so real. I lived out His strength being made perfect in my weakness every single day. I know that I love much deeper, and have a much fuller appreciation of life than I would have otherwise. My spiritual roots went much deeper, and I learned to really count my blessings. God is SO good ALL the time!
    4.Share a favorite moment from this week’s study. I too loved page 94, “beseeching the Spirit for genuine repentance, radical resolve, and ruthless resistance empowers us to stand firm and free from sins enslaving yoke.” Two other things that really struck me were on page 100, “Even though we receive God’s Spirit at salvation, we won’t reap all the benefits of His power unless we bow low and reside crucified to ourselves.” That is a daily decision to die to self and live for Christ. Lord, may there be less of me and more of You each and every day! The final quote that caused me to just praise Him is on page 104, “Frankly, if we have Jesus, then we have everything we need. With Jesus we find peace, rest, security, stability, counsel and profound power to rise above whatever life throws our way. Halleluiah!!!

• Monica, NY says:

Wow! What a beautiful testimony of experiencing God’s Peace! Your testimony & words of wisdom were such an encouragement to me today! Thx. for that on pg. 100 & pg. 104…I’m Praising Him with you!~ Blessings!

• Amanda says:

I’m not home and don’t have my book in front of me…but is the page of prayers in this week? (I’m not really staying on track with the days I don’t think…lol.) if so, that is definitely my favorite part. I need to read this AND pray it every single day.

1. Describe a time when you wish you had relied more on the Holy Spirit for leadership. (page 86) When I was a teen and ran away from home. I left everything behind me my family, God and everything that matter to me…..I was gone for over two years and no one know where I was.

2. What might be classified as weight that is not necessarily a sin? (page 104) Hardships, trials and illness.

3. Think of a painful time when you saw God’s peace and righteousness in the midst of hardship? What did you learn? (page 105) I learned more about His peace and love.

4. Share a favorite moment from this week’s study. The three R’s.

• Sheree says:

This has been another rich week in Bible study. I’m taking extra time with crop inspection (top of page 96) Matthew 15:13, and sowing to please the Spirit (pages 96 and 97). This is not to be taken lightly, so I’m not done with this week yet. So just wanted to let you all know that I’m still here and will post later this week. What an awesome time with God this has been!

• Rebecca says:

There have been times when I have taken on tasks at church because I thought I should, rather than because the Spirit led me to do it. Then I was in a position where I shouldn’t have been in the first place and where I didn’t feel successful. Relying on His leadership before is always better than having to backtrack.

I am in the middle of many stressful career related changes. I thought I had prayed, but really had probably just ranted. Recently I realized that I needed to praise God. All that was happening was not a mistake. If I followed His lead, He wasn’t going to let me get in over my head. He will never expect more than he equips me for. I began to fill my prayers with praising God for who he is (faithful, a redeemer, a friend, a peace giver, etc.) My situation hasn’t changed, but God has changed me. I have His peace and for the first time in weeks I can sleep.

It is truly amazing how we are changed and receive peace when we turn our attentions to praising God. Thanks for sharing and for a great reminder Rebecca!

• Monica, NY says:

This week was such a sweet reminder of knowing God has supplied us with His Holy Spirit & learning to abide in His Power & Activity! I <3 that our Glorious= (completely enjoyable) Father has given us a Spirit of wisdom & revelation to Know Him better!

I'm learning that Pruning is NOT FUN sometimes! But, my <3 jumps @ the thought on pg. 89 of what Jesus is really after in me in (John 15:11). I'm so glad that He loves us enough to keep pruning & that He doesn't want us to just bear some fruit, but MUCH FRUIT! (John 15:8) ..because He Loves us! & I do want every plant that My heavenly Father didn't plant in me to be pulled out by its roots!!! (Matt 15:13)

What spoke to me most this week was the 3 R's on pg. 94! Genuine Repentance, Radical Resolve, & Ruthless Resistance! The vs. she had listed out of….Hebrews 12:4…. under Ruthless Resistance..really convicted me! I'm learning to beseech the Spirit for stronger faith muscles! Sometimes I so easily give into sin & forget that I have God's Precious Spirit in me, given to me when I rec'd Christ! As a Christian I must like Tammy said Radically Resolve to beseech the Spirit for holy determination! I'm not controlled by the sinful nature but by the Spirit or by the "to-be-able"! I want to LIVE according to the Spirit which is Life & Peace! (Romans 8:9-11) Loved what Tammie said that "Consistent Freedom comes when we keep each of these before the Lord in prayer until we see a Real harvest of HIS PRESENCE & Power!"..which brings me to the 1st in the R's..

Repentance! All out Surrender is my Friend! My mind keeps going back to the vs.'s last week out of Isaiah 30:15"You'll be delivered by Returning & Resting!" Repentance does Yield, Wake, Restore, Face, & IS Delight! A delight because it pleases God & brings peace to our Spirit! I'm learning my strength does lie in quite confidence=trusting the Holy Spirit(which is His job not mine) to bring the Godly sorrow that brings true repentance, for this is the kind of sorrow that God wants us to experience because it leads us away from sin! 2 Corinthians 7:8..I don't wanna refuse to Yield!
    Beseeching the Spirit for those 3 R's does empower us to Stand Firm & Free from sin's enslaving yoke like Tammie said! Galatians 5:1

& Wow, didn't mean to type so much! Very hard for me to summarize..as you can tell! HA! But Christine, I LOVE the idea of printing that Consecration Prayer & reading it daily, which was so beautiful & really spoke to my <3! I just wanted to share this verse with y'all that really spoke to me today out of Mathew 3:8"Produce fruit in keeping with repentance!" the NLT says "Prove by the way you live that you have repented of your sins & turned to God!" one of my commentaries said…"true repentance is costly & the kingdom demands a response, a radical decision!"..Learning that Delight is mine, & His Presence alone is soooo worth seizing it! Thx. again for this awesome study & the opp. to learn from all these great sisters in Christ!

Love & Prayers!
    Isaiah 32:17-18

When I traded a car that I loved in on a different car on an impulse; not only did I get a car that isn’t as good as the one I had, but I also don’t like the new one as well AND my car payments were extended out an additional two years.

2. What might be classified as weight that is not necessarily a sin? (page 104)
    Hardships, trials, long-term illnesses and diseases

4. Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.
    I have tried but can’t pick a favorite; this entire week was incredible. I am in awe of God’s goodness!
    Loved the lesson on pruning; “In pruning, God insists on us having more of him.”
    Loved, loved the lesson on regularly practicing repentance; “Beseeching the Spirit for genuine repentance, radical resolve, and ruthless resistance empowers us to stand firm and free from sin’s enslaving yoke.”
    Loved, loved, loved (and needed very badly) the lesson on inspecting our crops often; “Blooming with the goodness of Jesus is our goal, and it feels oh-so-good no matter how painful the road to get there.”

• Bree says:

Describe a time when you wish you had relied more on the Holy Spirit for leadership. (Page 86)

15 years ago I found myself in a very, very difficult relationship. The relationship was extremely toxic. I became entangled in this relationship because I didn’t rely on the Holy Spirit’s leadership. For 2 years I suffered. And my suffering was a direct result of my sin. I lost so much in my life as a result of my sin and my involvement in this relationship. I lost respect from family members and friends. I lost my home and became homeless. I lost my career. I knew that I needed to repent. Here is a great quote on repentance that I love: “Repentance is more than regret or remorse. It is more than just being sorry, or apologizing to God. Repentance is deep conviction that brings a change of heart and leads to a change of behavior (reformation). A temporary change of behavior is not enough. It must be a permanent change if it is to true repentance. Repentance is recognizing that we are living and behaving in a way that grieves God’s Spirit and then turning and changing to live the way God wants us to live.” (Ian Malins, Passionate Prayer: A Quiet Time Experience by Catherine Martin, Week 3 Day 2 Pg. 72)

Once I repented, my life didn’t instantly improve. The effects of my sin continued to linger long after I repented. And I had to live in those effects every single day. But as time went on, my life improved and the effects of my sin slowly started to diminish. As a result of going through this painful experience, I’ve learned the true meaning of repentance and I’ve also learned to rely on the leading and prompting of the Holy Spirit.

Think of a painful time when you saw God’s peace and righteousness in the midst of hardship. What did you learn? (Page 105)

During the painful experience I just talked about, God showed me that in spite of my sin, He still loved me with an everlasting love.
    • I was alive and breathing.
    • He protected me and kept me safe.
    • He provided transportation, food, water, shelter, clothing and counseling.
    • He put strong Christians in my path to walk with me during those painful two years.
    • But best of all the Lord brought me back to my beloved state of Virginia.
    • In all of this I learned that God never, ever gives up on His kids, but just like any responsible, loving parent, He will discipline me with a loving firm hand!

• Cara Louise Reitbauer says:

Gracious God, I rejoice with my sister Bree that You have indeed brought her out of the darkness into Your marvelous light! We give thanks to You for Your unfailing love and faithful discipline which You employ to bring us to repentance. What a rich and glorious inheritance You have given us!

Thank you for sharing your story, Bree; it’s beautiful, and I love hearing how God works so personally and faithfully in people’s lives. And thank you for sharing the quote on repentance also; I’m writing that in my workbook!

• Monica, NY says:

Thx. for sharing this Bree! God is so good & indeed brings beauty from ashes! Love & Prayers!

• Cara Louise Reitbauer says:

I almost can’t believe I made it here on time this week…with my lesson done and everything! God is being so good to me. I mean He is indeed always good- but lately He is just showing me in unmistakeable ways things that I really need to see, about myself, about Him, about my activities, about my relationships.

The exercise on page 97 where we were to write our confessions of how we have been sowing to the sinful nature was difficult- but necessary. I often think of myself in terms of how I compare to the ACTIONS of others around me…and God really opened my eyes up to the fact that my ATTITUDES are just as sinful even if I don’t act on them. When we were then instructed to use a red marker and write over top the fruit of the Spirit it was cathartic!

I must thank Christine for setting me up with my accountability partner- as she does not have text capabilites we’ve been emailing which gives a bit more of a chance to really connect and encourage. A phrase has been running through my brain this week “disciplined or distracted?” By God’s grace, I am getting back into a more disciplined approach to how I use my time so as to be able to focus on what is good and right rather than be pulled here and there and hiding behind distractions.

Let us be women of holy determination, accountable for our sin, and pursuing a holy life. (bottom of page 105)

Psalm 62 personalized as a prayer:
    O God- help us to wait quietly before you, for our salvation comes from You. You alone are our rock and our salvation, our fortress where we will never be shaken.
    Let us wait quietly before You God, for our hope is in You. You alone are our rock and salvation, our fortress where we will not be shaken. Our salvation and our honor come from you alone, O God. You are our refuge, a rock where no enemy can reach us.
    Oh sisters, trust in Him at all times. Pour out your hearts to Him, for God is our refuge.

• Monica, NY says:

Amen Sister! Our hope is in Him! What an awesome vs.! & Thx. for the challenging question “Disciplined or Distracted?” Thx. again!

• Cindy H says:

1) As a young girl, I didn’t really rely on the Holy Spirit because I didn’t understand His role in the Trinity. There is no way I could lead my life now without His guidance and direction.
    2) Carrying the cross of Jesus can be heavy if we don’t ask Jesus to carry it with us. He tells us that His yoke is easy and His burden is light.
    3) My family is going through a very painful time right now. An amazing thing happened to me last Weds. I write about it here…….http://cindy-aquietplace.blogspot.com/
    4) A favorite moment in the book was Tammie’s description of the farmer pruning his plants. I liked what she said, “Be encouraged my sisters. Jesus never planned for crop failure in your life.”