Welcome back to the Womens Bible Study cafe! We’ve just finished reading week one of Duty or Delight by Tammie Head. Our study begins with Tammie saying “at one time spiritual performance gripped me so powerfully that God was more a duty than a delight.” Spiritual performance puts the focus on ourselves and we take our eyes off God. Rather than learning how to be perfect Christian women of faith, our focus is on how to be authentic women of faith. Chosen.
When I looked up the word “chosen” in the online dictionary, I found this meaning: one who is the object of choice or divine favor; an elect person (Source: Merriam-Webster.com) In Hebrew, the word also means acceptable, appoint, excellent. (source: BlueLetterBible.org) Knowing that we are chosen by God as His Daughters, here are some scripture verses for you to read. Read them aloud and where there is a blank line, insert your name:
- For I have chosen __________, so that she will direct her children and her household after her to keep the way of the LORD by doing what is right and just, so that the LORD will bring about for ________ what he has promised her. Genesis 18:19 NIV
- The LORD your God has chosen _________ out of all the peoples on the face of the earth to be his people, his treasured possession. Deut 7:6 NIV
- They will wage war against the Lamb, but the Lamb will triumph over them because he is Lord of lords and King of kings—and with him will be his called, chosen and faithful follower ________. Rev 17:14 NIV
Beloved, you are chosen by God. No matter your past, no matter your shame, no matter the stones that have fallen upon your back by those who judge you- you are chosen as the object of divine favor. Don’t let the enemy convince you otherwise. Claim your ground as the chosen Daughter of the King, adopted into God’s family. Remember this:
The Spirit you received does not make you slaves, so that you live in fear again;
rather, the Spirit you received brought about your adoption to sonship.
And by him we cry, “Abba,Father.” Romans 8:15 NIV
Keep me as the apple of your eye;
hide me in the shadow of your wings. Psalm 17:8 NIV
Our Prayer Wall has changed and now you can post prayers or praise reports as comments to the page. Please visit the prayer wall and cover these men and women with prayers. Thank you.
Tammie Head Quotes
- Spiritual performance can wear a person out.
- A faith that originates with us paves the way for a lack of spiritual rest.
- A deep understanding of grace relieves spiritual perfectionism.
- Satan is outwitting us by using insecurity against us.
- Satan’s goal is to keep believers too self-absorbed to read God’s Word and pray.
- How we see God directly impacts how we see ourselves.
- God is not looking for a cleaned-up version of us. He’s just looking for us.
- God desires to deliver us from hiding.
- Jesus did not die to make us good rule followers.
- Shame is the personal imprint sin has left on our souls.
For Next Week
- Read Week Two in the workbook
- Optional: Watch the Duty or Delight Videos (Look under Support Materials at bottom of page)
- Join our Womens Bible Cafe Chat on Facebook
Group Discussion- Answer one question or as many as you like
- Where are you at in your life right now- recovering, refreshing, dismantling or reassembling? (page 13 )
- Have you ever hidden from God? If you feel comfortable, please share why you hid. (page 26 )
- Which pitfall most often stands in your way- twisted theology, insecurity, fear or shame?
- Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.