Duty or Delight Bible Study Week One

Welcome back to the Womens Bible Study cafe! We’ve just finished reading week one of Duty or Delight by Tammie Head.  Our study begins with Tammie saying “at one time spiritual performance gripped me so powerfully that God was more a duty than a delight.” Spiritual performance puts the focus on ourselves and we take our eyes off God. Rather than learning how to be perfect Christian women of faith, our focus is on how to be authentic women of faith. Chosen.

When I looked up the word “chosen” in the online dictionary, I found this meaning: one who is the object of choice or divine favor; an elect person (Source: Merriam-Webster.com) In Hebrew, the word also means acceptable, appoint, excellent. (source: BlueLetterBible.org) Knowing that we are chosen by God as His Daughters, here are some scripture verses for you to read. Read them aloud and where there is a blank line, insert your name:

• For I have chosen __________, so that she will direct her children and her household after her to keep the way of the LORD by doing what is right and just, so that the LORD will bring about for ________ what he has promised her. Genesis 18:19 NIV
  • The LORD your God has chosen _________ out of all the peoples on the face of the earth to be his people, his treasured possession. Deut 7:6 NIV
  • They will wage war against the Lamb, but the Lamb will triumph over them because he is Lord of lords and King of kings—and with him will be his called, chosen and faithful follower ________.  Rev 17:14 NIV

Beloved, you are chosen by God. No matter your past, no matter your shame, no matter the stones that have fallen upon your back by those who judge you- you are chosen as the object of divine favor. Don’t let the enemy convince you otherwise. Claim your ground as the chosen Daughter of the King, adopted into God’s family. Remember this:

The Spirit you received does not make you slaves, so that you live in fear again;

rather, the Spirit you received brought about your adoption to sonship.

And by him we cry, “Abba,Father.” Romans 8:15 NIV

Keep me as the apple of your eye;

hide me in the shadow of your wings. Psalm 17:8 NIV

Our Prayer Wall has changed and now you can post prayers or praise reports as comments to the page. Please visit the prayer wall and cover these men and women with prayers. Thank you.

Tammie Head Quotes

• Spiritual performance can wear a person out.
  • A faith that originates with us paves the way for a lack of spiritual rest.
  • A deep understanding of grace relieves spiritual perfectionism.
  • Satan is outwitting us by using insecurity against us.
  • Satan’s goal is to keep believers too self-absorbed to read God’s Word and pray.
  • How we see God directly impacts how we see ourselves.
  • God is not looking for a cleaned-up version of us. He’s just looking for us.
  • God desires to deliver us from hiding.
  • Jesus did not die to make us good rule followers.
  • Shame is the personal imprint sin has left on our souls.

1. Where are you at in your life right now- recovering, refreshing, dismantling or reassembling? (page 13 )
  2. Have you ever hidden from God?  If you feel comfortable, please share why you hid. (page 26 )
  3. Which pitfall most often stands in your way- twisted theology, insecurity, fear or shame?
  4. Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.

• Carin says:

Ok, a little behind but here I am!

Reassembling~ Standing firm on doing the right thing knowing God will bless us. Understanding where we financially went wrong a few years ago and asking God to give us a second chance to do things his way.

Have you ever hidden from God?
    Never really hid but didn’t really need him when we made lots of money (so we thought!)!

Today it is shame and fear. Fear of losing everything we worked for when we were richley blessed and shame on how we handled things (money) he blessed us with a few years ago.

Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.
    I never dissected the serpent’s manipulative way of getting Eve to eat the apple. It was smooth and slick. Something I most likely would have fallen for too. Made me realize how important it is to know the truth and recognize the “lie” and stand firm and don’t’ fall for it!

• Stacey says:

This week I struggled more with finding where I fit into the whole discussion of insecurities and my relationship with God. I found myself saying “well, that doesn’t apply to me” or “I’ve never done stuff that she’s talking about”, or even “I know that God loves me for who I am…” However, at one point, I stopped to ask the Lord to reveal how this applies to me. The truth is, I am so buried by my insecurities that I can barely see through the walls I put up in the first place! I am a perfectionist- if I do everything just so, everyone will be happy and nothing will go wrong. I thrive on having my talents recognized- whether it is my singing, my school work or my hobbies. But I am learning that God chose me without my having to prove I can “handle” whatever comes my way, without me having to make him like me! I have all kinds of head-knowlege, but my heart has not allowed itself to experience the love of God very deeply! And part of this is because He has been more of an acquaintance than having a real relationship with Him. He has been my inherited trinket on a shelf- priceless beyond all measure, but His worth has been lost on me because I have been too focused on myself to investigate. I am excited to become vulnerable in my relationship with him- I am refreshing, and reassembling my Christian walk.

I am currently dismantling. I am struggling to think differently about myself, my life, and see myself as who I am in God. I have come a long way but still need to improve.
    Yes, more like avoidance. I felt guilty, knowing that I was not acting in the way that I should. I knew I had messed up and needed him, but wasn’t sure I deserved to ask Him for forgiveness.
    Insecurity. I have continued to struggle with it. I know that I am chosen and I am loved. I know that I am a child of God and that I have been adopted and that He loves me. Yet sometimes I still find myself thinking I am not good enough.
    4.Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.

• Jennifer D says:

4. Share a favorite moment from this week’s study. On page 13 in the middle of the page the Four Pitfalls to Feeling Chosen. The in-depth of going through each pitfall. To know that I am chosen. Ideas to put up confidence boosters. Page 24 where we put in the words for each of the psalms. pg 33 fig leaves results. A few questions on page 34 to ponder and discuss.

• Mary Helen says:

At this time I believe I am in a state of refreshing and reassembling in my walk with God.

Have you ever hidden from God? I think I am hiding from God when I make excuses of being too busy or too tired to read the word or attend church.

fear is my pitfall. I has kept me from spreading the word of jesus to other people.

Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.
    Learning about SHIELA!!! Need I say more. lol

When you make excuses of being too busy or too tired, you may be hiding from yourself. God wants that time with you and He waits for you to come to Him. Draw near. You deserve it as you are His cherished daughter. Don;t let the enemy convince you that you do not have time for yourself. Have you read “My First Bible Study?”

The enemy worked BIG TIME to keep me away from bible studies. He knew that I had leadership qualities and once I fell in love with my bible, God was going to use my leadership gift. I did not know this at the time and I am thankful God sent a friend to turn my heart around.

• Mary Helen says:

Thank you Christine. It is because of you that this is my second online bible study. you have made this available and convenient for us. I appreciate all your feedback and your kind words. I actutally had that book and gave it to my sister. I guess I should of read it first!

• Becky says:

Dismantling/ re assembly in so many areas. Trying to be patient and wait on God and not do things in my own strength or power. I am a fixer by design and profession but really God doesnt need me to get things right. A lot of shame goes along with making poor choices but God still knows and it will all work out.
    4.Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.
    The conviction vs Shame condemnation chart. It was like duh I knew this but do I really know it way down deep in my spirit?

Hi everyone, I have been since the 19th of July trying to post………I hit the wrong key and proof or the power goes out. Christine says ” It is spiritual censorship.” LOL.

1. Have you ever hidden from God? Yes, when i was a rebellious teen I ran way from home for over three years and no one know where I was. I ran from God, family, friends and whatever. I return home and found God again after my Mom died in 1985. I came in home in the late 70’s and was still running from God and everything good in my life, than my Mom died in 1985 and that is when I cleaned up my act…….just wanted to clarify that. Thanks. It took almost fifteen years to stop hiding from God.

2. Which pitfall stands in your way- twisted theology, insecurity, fear, or shame? I would say fear, shame,and than insecurity.

3. Share a favorite moment from this week’s study. That I am chosen by God.

Blessings to all.

I’m glad you persevered and was able to get your post up, Sue Alice! I am always eager to read your responses and see how God is working in your life. You and your family are in my prayers daily!

• Sheree says:

Right now in my life I am refreshing. I shared my goal of this Bible study in my last post was to slow down in my quiet times in the mornings so I can hear God’s voice. My quiet times had become so dutiful, and I found myself rushing through so I could rush through the rest of my day, so it’s no wonder why my time with God had become so mundane and fruitless. And I was wondering why God seemed so distant. It wasn’t God, it was me. I wasn’t taking the time to hear His voice. So right now I am refreshing, to hear a fresh Word from God, and one way I have found to slow down is to journal my conversations with God. Last fall, Priscilla Shirer came to our church and spoke about the five P’s of hearing God through Scripture that I have found to be most incredible, because this method does work to help me slow down and hear His voice. So I picked up the Bible study she spoke about “Can we Talk” and started journaling my conversations with God, and my quiet times with God have never been the same. And then life started happening, and I found myself drifting and taking shortcuts in my morning Bible study and prayer time with God, so I quit journaling, and I hit the mute button so I wasn’t hearing His voice any longer. I was going through the motions…how tragic! So it was no accident that God had me stumble onto this website and it was no coincidence that I had purchased this Bible study, Duty or Delight, a couple of weeks ago. And Priscilla’s Bible study “Can we Talk” was sitting on my dresser in my bedroom and all my Bible study books are normally filed away on my bookshelf. Wow…was God ever trying to tell me something huge!! The beauty of Priscilla’s Bible study “Can we Talk” is that the five P’s can be applied to any Bible study. The conversations with God using this method to hear God’s voice in Scripture is incredible. I’ll briefly share the five P’s in case someone is not familiar with this method of “soul-stirring conversations with God.”

1. “Position” yourself to hear from God
    2. “Pore” over the passage and “Paraphrase” the major points
    3. “Pull out” the spiritual principles
    4. “Pose” the question
    5. “Plan” obedience and “Pin” down a date

My favorite part of the Bible study this week was a fresh realization that God has chosen me, Ephesians 1:4, so we can boldy go before the throne of Grace at anytime…what a confidence booster!! I also liked the part about Adam and Eve hiding from God in the trees after their sin because of their shame. The significance of the tree…we get a glimpse of redemption through Adam and Eve’s sin and the fact that Jesus bore our sins on the tree of life (the Cross) so that we will have eternal life with Him. God had a plan in the very beginning of creation…what a Plan!! Have a wonderful week in Bible study this week, and enjoy your time with God 🙂

• Ginger says:

Where am I right now in my life – recovering, refreshing, dismantling, or reassembling? I think I am reassembling.

Have I ever hidden from God? Yes, I think I have. After coming to know Christ as an adult in my mid-twenties, I quit my job to work in a church. I did all the things I thought I was supposed to do to please God. My one desire was to marry. God did not allow that to happen. I was engaged but called the wedding off Thursday before the wedding on Saturday because I knew in my heart it wasn’t right. But I allowed bitterness to grow in my heart – thinking that God was withholding something good from me (much like Eve!). I recognized this as sin, so I hid from God for several years. I thought God was mad at me for reacting to Him this way, so I could not bring myself to attend church regularly, study God’s word or pray on a consistent basis. Being out of fellowship with God, His people, and His Spirit landed me in some relationships I look back now with utter disbelief. Because of God’s amazing grace and forgiveness, He has restored me and brought me back into fellowship with Him.

The pitfall that stands most in my way is insecurity that is brought about (I think) by shame. There are times when I hear a voice (that I know to be the accuser) that says “You aren’t worthy, you have done this, you have done that, if people only knew what you think, how you feel sometimes, etc.” I am learning to respond to that voice by saying, “You are absolutely right! I am not worthy! But my Savior is!”

Favorite moment from this week’s study: I love the beautiful picture Tammie paints of Adam and Eve hiding in the trees – and the tree that God provides for us to truly hide our sin!

Ginger, while reading your responses I was struck by how similar our stories are. I love that God gives us encouragement in this way. I’m glad you’re in this study!

• Danielle says:

I’ve been re-learning quite a bit over the last 2 years. My church experience until about 2 years ago always left me feeling like I’m not good enough…that I’ll NEVER BE good enough. Fortunately I fought against this way of thinking and wouldn’t let myself get too caught up in it…but when I was weak I’d succumb to that way of thinking and would get into a funk. I’ve been in the rebuilding phase for about 2 years and find myself saying “I wish I would’ve know that before!” Fortunately my kids won’t have to go through the same thing I went through. They’re excited about church and learning about Christ.

You are good enough- you were made in God’s image. You’re a Daughter of the King and entitled to wear the crown Jesus gave you. A crown of GRACE and BEAUTY and LOVE.

My kids are 9 and 13 and really enjoy Christian music. They listen to Klove.com with me and have been to several Christian concerts (the concerts are always low priced so we can attend together).

• Kristi says:

Recovering, dismantling, reassembling – all three at once… picking up the pieces from a marriage that is heading to divorce (not my wishes). Such God’s timing for me to do this study.

Hidden – not really… more like just not doing anything – going on autopilot and through the “christian” motions.

Shame and fear right now. Everything that I thought was true… just got turned upside down! I do not know what is true and what isn’t anymore.

Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.
    I am just enjoying my quiet time God for the first time in a long time! I am actually enjoying it.

• Tammie says:

I got this bible study workbook as a gift while I was in the hospital!

• Mary Ann says:

1. I’m in the stage between recovering and refreshing
    2. I’d definitely tried to hid from God, in the past.
    3. Twisted Theology, for sure.
    4. My very favorite part of the study was going through passages in The Psalms–re-reading those verses that remind me of who God REALLY is all the reminder I needed. I also loved the definition of mercy. So many times, I fall into the comparing of mercy with pity. While pity is a part of mercy, it is NOT the most important part. Eye opener for me.

• Adrienne says:

Where are you at in your life right now- recovering, refreshing, dismantling or reassembling? (page 13 )– I’m refreshing…

Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.– The greatest thing that stood out with me is when it said, ” How we see God directly impact how we see ourselves.” That was so eyeopening to me.

I am recovering . .it’s a S-L-O-W process!

I would be surprised if someone said they hadn’t hid from God. When I realize that He knows everything about me – I am so humbled, because I don’t want to fail Him, and I do so often. and I wish He didn’t see me at my worst – – but I am so glad that He loves me, even at my worst!

Okay – so I deal with two – insecurity and fear . . .

Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.
    Like Angie, my favorite part was on page 27 when she wrote about Adam and Eve hiding in the trees – -and tying that to humanities needs to hide in the cross of Jesus. I also loved that the memory verse reminds me . .”That He chose me.”!

• Sharon Barnard says:

1.Where are you at in your life right now- recovering, refreshing, dismantling or reassembling? (page 13 ) Dismantling and reassembling
    2.Have you ever hidden from God? If you feel comfortable, please share why you hid. (page 26 ) I don’t really see that I have because I always knew He was there no matter what I was doing, My shame is that I did it anyway.
    3.Which pitfall most often stands in your way- twisted theology, insecurity, fear or shame? Insecurity (tied with shame)
    4.Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.Something I need to do and the study encourages me – go before God with boldness and seek grace. He gives just when it’s needed.

• Rhonda says:

Where are you at in your life right now- recovering, refreshing, dismantling or reassembling? (page 13 ) I think I am in the process of reassembling. Losing my mother last month has really caused me to re-evaluate my life priorites and to understand that since I am now an orphan in the earthly sense, I need to strive to be closer to my Heavenly parent. I have long been a believer but now I want a stronger relationship.

Which pitfall most often stands in your way- twisted theology, insecurity, fear or shame? I think I have mostly hidden from God by telling myself that if everyone else is doing things they really can’t be that bad. I have allowed myself to get lost in the crowd rather than standing apart from it and being the person I was meant (and want!) to be.

Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.
    The reassurance that I don’t have to be anyone other than who I really am to be accepted and loved by God. Once again, I know this but I think I just really needed this reassurance at this time of my life.

• Laura says:

1.Where are you at in your life right now- recovering, refreshing, dismantling or reassembling? I am refreshing. I’m nearing the end of a very busy two year period where I have worked full time, gone to school, and been involved in in-depth Bible studies all at the same time. I need to rest in Him now. 2.Have you ever hidden from God? If you feel comfortable, please share why you hid. Yes. I have hidden from God when I’ve looked for satisfaction apart from Him – times when I’ve gone my own way leaving me with pain and regret.
    3.Which pitfall most often stands in your way- twisted theology, insecurity, fear or shame? I think insecurity. I spent years trying so hard to be perfect to earn the right to be loved. Perfectionism is such bondage. Praise God He has done so much work on me in this area – but I still have a ways to go. in times of stress, I can so easily fall back into perfectionistic tendencies.
    4.Share a favorite moment from this week’s study. Page 20, “we need Jesus. In Him alone do we find true rest for our souls. Only in Him do we stop our toiling. Nothing from the outside will ever bring us the security we’re longing for” Yes, He is clearly calling me to a time of rest and refreshing.
    Bless all you ladies doing this study!

• Jessica says:

I would say refreshing, my relationship with the Lord needs to become more vital and exciting.

I have hid from God because I knew He was angry and disappointed in me.

I would say that insecurity often stands in my way. I learned this week that Satan, who Tammie Head describes as the Ultimate Sheila on Page 21, loves to deceive us and suggest a counterfeit version of God’s plan for our lives. His goal is to destroy our allegiance to Christ. However, despite who I am, God still loves me. He isn’t looking for perfect women, but for passionate women.

4.Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.
    Memorizing Ephesians 1:7, knowing that God chose me and planned my redemption before the world was made!

• Sara says:

Right now I am in the dismantling stage. I want to be relieved of my insecurities that I accumulated during the time that I was hiding from God. The decisions i made regarding my body and my personality made me feel the need to hide from God, and as I made bad decision after bad decision the enemy sunk his talons deeper and deeper. Now, I am working on stepping back and letting God heal those wounds. When I look back at that time in my life, I can see that even though the enemy had his claws in me, God’s hedge of protection was still around me. My favorite moment in the Bible study this week was at the very beginning when I realized that God was giving me just what I need right now.

• Pam-Louisiana says:

1. Reassembling because I need to get rid of some things that have no place in my life with the LORD.
    3. Fear and shame. Fear because of some things that are going on right now, but I know that GOD is in control and everything is going to be okay. Shame because of some things that I have done in the past. I need to realize that they are under the blood and I need to just relax and receive GOD’s gift of forgiveness and HIS love.

• Carrie says:

I am definately refreshing. It’s time for a trim the wick of my candle and get some of that old wax out of there. I remember a time when I was on fire for God and I couldn’t stop telling people of the goodness of Christ and now I’m so stagnant. I don’t want to be that anymore!
    2. Have you ever hidden from God? If you feel comfortable, please share why you hid. (page 26 )
    Who hasn’t? Of course, when you are in the middle of a sinful action you hide. I remember when I was at work frustrated with my job and gossiping with other co-workers about my frustrations. We would have gossip fests all the time. I would hear the holy spirit convicting me, but I would hide and ignore. Not a good place to be in and I don’t want to return there anymore. Its such an easy place to go, but I always feel much better when I stand on the word of God and deny my desires.
    Probably fear, fear that I won’t live up to what I think I should be. Fear has kept me away from so many great things. I fear that I won’t be accepted, or loved by people, fear I won’t complete my novel that I want to write, or I won’t be a good mother of wife. I know in my heart that fear is not of God, but knowing that and actually fighting it off is a different thing!
    4. Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.
    My favorite moment of this week is just delving into the word of God and doing it with a purpose of delighting. It feels good to be walking daily with God and praying. I pray I will only get stronger through this study!

Carrie, I can so relate to your response to question 2. I have had the same problem with being frustrated with my job, gossiping with co-workers about those frustrations and ignoring the Holy Spirit’s promptings concerning this. I now keep several Scripture verses close at hand for review and it is helping! (Proverbs 10:19, Proverbs 13:3, Psalm 141:3, Proverbs 21:23)

• Beth says:

I was really struck by the top of page 27–“could our fears, doubts, worries, and constant condemnation actually be ways we hide from God without even knowing?” I think I use my fears as a way to avoid God.
    This week I am focusing on God’s total unconditional love for me and enjoying it very much.

• Amanda says:

Right now I would say a refreshing stage.
    My pitfalls would be insecurity and shame of past sins.
    Favorite moment from this week – the paragraph on page 22 about reminding us that when we feel insecure, guilty, or have other accusatory thoughts that its not God’s thinking toward us and not God’s voice in our head or heart.

• Joni Eastman says:

God always gives me the perfect bible study that I need exactly when I need it! God is truly amazing and I am so very thankful that he did pursue me and I accepted His love for me and ask Him to enter my heart and my life. My insecurities stem from a life time of trying to be perfect in my daily life, work and church. Always trying to please people and make it better for others. Always having a chip on my shoulder thinking nothing I ever did was good enough for my parents and God. If anyone had the smallest criticism I would just melt and run and hide behind this huge brick wall I had built to protect myself. Forgetting that God can “protect” me better than anything or anyone can. Satan uses all of this stuff to make me feel small and inadequate to do God’s will in my life. So many years wasted trying to feel good enough to grab hold of God’s promises and fully except his love and grace. I am so looking forward to the rest of this bible study… it truly is a gift from God.

• Sandee says:

1.Where are you at in your life right now- recovering, refreshing, dismantling or reassembling? Reassembling.
    2.Have you ever hidden from God? Absolutely. Embarrased and didn’t want to be honest with God.
    3.Which pitfall most often stands in your way-? Fear.
    4.Share a favorite moment from this week’s study. Being able to memorize Ephesians 1:4 and share it three times during last week. Love it!

• Debby says:

Where are you at in your life right now- recovering, refreshing, dismantling or reassembling? (page 13 )refreshing.
    Which pitfall most often stands in your way- twisted theology, insecurity, fear or shame? Insecurity and shame
    Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.God’s pursuit of us. I had never thought of this reverse side of it. Always that I had to pursue him.

1. Where are you at in your life right now- recovering, refreshing, dismantling or reassembling? (page 13)

Dismantling and reassembling; having not grown up in the church nor walking with God for many years after my salvation, I have limited knowledge of basic theology and biblical truths. What I know and/or believe about God, my relationship with Him and how He feels about me is pretty elementary at this time.

2. Have you ever hidden from God? If you feel comfortable, please share why you hid. (page 26)

Not too long after God saved me, the woman who had taken me under her wing to mentor me passed away from cancer. I was so confused and hurt over her death that I ran. I lived the next 18 years as if God did not even exist. I’m not sure this would be considered hiding but it is what immediately came to my mind when I read this question.

Insecurity is the big one for me.

4. Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.

Page 20 – Reading the bullet points of how Satan wants to keep believers was very sobering for me because each and every one of those points could have been describing me.

Page 27 – The illustration between Adam and Eve hiding in the trees and our need to hide in the cross of Christ was especially insightful for me.

An awesome week of study!

• Monica, NY says:

1.) Reassembling 2.) False guilt when I have no reason to feel guilt 3)Shame

Pg. 14 question spoke to me the most..How would you answer HONESTLY?? 1.>I’ve mostly envisioned God pursuing me (OR) 2.>I’ve mostly envisioned me pursuing God.. I answered the 2nd choice…Yes, I know, Twisted!!

Also the Message Translation of this week’s Confidence Booster…

“Long before He laid down earth’s foundations, He had us in mind, had settled on us as the focus of His love to be made WHOLE & HOLY by His Love. Long, long ago He decided to adopt us into His family through Jesus Christ. (What pleasure He took in planning this!!) Ephesians 1:4-5 (The Message)

• Tami L says:

I think that I’m in a place of refreshment. of pushing a lifetime of “book learnin'” from my head deep into my heart. I want to rest and absorb every Word, every promise and blessing.
    2.Have you ever hidden from God? If you feel comfortable, please share why you hid. I have always been stuck in “performance” and “worthlessness”, no matter how good I am, how much I try, I fail. My freedom and worth in Christ covers these wounds, and I don’t have to hide anymore.
    3.Which pitfall most often stands in your way- twisted theology, insecurity, fear or shame? Shame and insecurity are very prevalent in my life.
    4.Share a favorite moment from this week’s study. When I realized I was wearing fig leaves, despite my best effort to be “real”, I discovered that I was still hiding.

• Monica, NY says:

I loved your realization of #4! I felt that too & Just to be “real” with God! He knows me better than anyone! Thx. for sharing this!

• Mayra says:

I have hidden from God. I would never want to admit that though. I guess that is also part of the shame, fear and insecurity. My marriage has had struggles. Difficult ones. I have made mistakes along the way. I have asked for forgiveness and yet the past keeps getting put in my face. “It’s history” I want to shout! The history haunts me! God has forgiven me and loves me. Before the foundation of the world he has chosen me. Often I try to make my own covering (fig leaves)– in the name of Jesus– but it never works. I need to rest in the covering of the BLOOD OF JESUS! My Jesus wants full surrender. He wants all of me. Calling on the name of Jesus is my lifeline. I am holy and blameless! I am His chosen daughter. When I faced with the discouraging words and belittling comments, I call on Jesus. Psalm 86:7 and Psalm 145 really spoke to my spirit. When problems arise in my marriage, I don’t neeed to fear. I only need to claim Hebrews 4:16. The Amplified Version states it beautifully! This is the verse I want to memorize this week.

Walk the path of forgiveness not the path of shame. Jesus did not shed his blood and give his life because you had a minor offense. He did this because His love is greater than your offense. Clinging to the guilt does not honor Him, so give guilt and shame back to Satan. Wear the crown of forgiveness and love in Jesus name.

• Allison says:

Dismantling my view of myself so that I can see myself as God sees me…Reassembling as I take on a new role in my life as I am transitioning into an empty-nester.

Psalm 51) “it was his sin that drove him to try to hide from God and which erected a wall of separation between him and God.” Unfortunately, men and women will continue to try to hide from God as long as they continue to sin. But there is no hiding from God: “For there is nothing covered, that shall not be revealed; and hid, that shall not be known” (Matthew 10:26)

If I look honestly at the times of separation from God, I will find my sinful ways getting in the way of “getting my Spiritual Act together”. Being more committed to my own wants and desires has taken me to places of regret. Fig leaves couldn’t cover my sin…but I have the blood of Jesus to cover my sins. How much better to acknowledge and repent of our sins, and say “Hide thy face from my sins, and blot out all mine iniquities. Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me” (Psalm 51:9,10).

Insecurity & Shame – I have spent 53 years searching for acceptance and love. That search kept me in bondage. One of the primary reasons we remain in bondage is because our hand has a grip on something we are not willing to let go. Realizing that God promises to set us free from bondage when we seek His face, abide in His Word, and obey His commands. I feel that I am beginning to be bondage free as a result of these online Bible Studies…thank you Christine.

4. Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.

Christine, I like what you said in your opening comments today: “No matter your past, no matter your shame, no matter the stones that have fallen upon your back by those who judge you- you are chosen as the object of divine favor. Don’t let the enemy convince you otherwise.” I hope everyone has a wonderful week. God Bless

• Cara Louise Reitbauer says:

I am so excited by this study, for it seems to be meeting me right where I need to be met! As if God would do any less?! I have a lot of things underlined in my book this week, but the amazing revelation that just keeps repeating in my heart is that God pursues me! Catching a glimpse of a love like that has captivated me and has already begun to work in how I see myself.

My prayer for myself and for us all is this: “I pray that from His glorious, unlimited resources He will give [us] mighty inner strength through His Holy Spirit. And I pray that Christ will be more and more at home in [our] hearts as [we] trust in Him. May [our] roots go down deep into the soil of God’s marvelous love. And may [we] have the power to understand, as all God’s people should, how wide, how long, how high, and how deep His love really is. May [we] experience the love of Christ, though it is so great [we] will never fully understand it. Then [we] will be filled with the fullness of life and power that comes from God.” Eph 1:16-19 NLT

Don’t make Him chase you- LOL! Though God does have an amazing sense of humor… 🙂

• Mayra says:

That’s so true. “Don’t make Him chase you.” I love that He pursues me, but how much greater is it to have the power to understand and experience the love of Christ. Ephesians 1:16-19 is POWERFUL!

You’re blessed when you stay on course, walking steadily on the road revealed by God.
          You’re blessed when you follow his directions,
          doing your best to find him.
          That’s right—you don’t go off on your own;
          you walk straight along the road he set.
          You, God, prescribed the right way to live;
          now you expect us to live it.
          Oh, that my steps might be steady,
          keeping to the course you set;
          Then I’d never have any regrets
          in comparing my life with your counsel.
          I thank you for speaking straight from your heart;
          I learn the pattern of your righteous ways.
          I’m going to do what you tell me to do;
          don’t ever walk off and leave me.
          Psalm 119:7 message

• Rebecca Jo says:

3. My pitfall is always shame. Shame of the past, shame of decisions, shame of standing in front of a Holy God. Its my struggle that I’m learning to get past.

My highlight of the week – when it was asking what lies Satan tells us – I’ve never thought of it before but the words, “He tells you you are NOT CAPABLE” hit me… that holds so much to my heart. Not even able to do some things God calls me to do – making me feel worthless – it opened my eyes to a new thought. It was an amazing moment to realize this.

Think of shame as a sackcloth. Some sackcloths were visible in scripture, and some are hidden where others cannot see. Your job is to find it and remove it- allowing the love of Jesus to unveil who you really are: Daughter of the King.

Those who look to him are radiant; their faces are never covered with shame. Psalm 34:5 NIV

• Kendrie says:

1.Where are you at in your life right now- recovering, refreshing, dismantling or reassembling? (page 13)…. I would say recovery, My focus for the past 6 years have not been on God and my relationship with Him, and how I can serve him, be a vessel. The focus has been on myself.

2.Have you ever hidden from God?….. I don’t think I purposely hidden from him, just so maany distractions, temptations brought me so far away, I could not see Him.

3.Which pitfall most often stands in your way- twisted theology, insecurity, fear or shame?…… I would say fear and insecurity, The devil has had a hold on me, saying that I am not good enough, what purpose do I have here? You will never be healthy!.

4.Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.
    I would say the Confidence Booster was my favorite moment. Knowing that God has purposely chosen us. A great encouragement!

• Melissa M. says:

So many times I feel like I’m not good enough. As the pastor’s wife, I feel much of my job is to be his prayer warrior. Much of what I do is behind the scenes and no one knows. But I go to church and feel like many of the women wonder why I don’t do more in the church. I know this is Satans way of trying to distract me from worship.
    My biggest pitfall has been insecurity and shame. It was so good to be reminded that I am the apple of God’s eye, I am CHOSEN and delighted in. I don’t need to be sewing fig leaves to make myself acceptable to Him. My shame is from things I did in the past that I know I’ve been forgiven for but it has kept me from experiencing all God has to offer because I allowed that sin to make a personal imprint on my soul.
    WOW! Week 1 was great! I can’t wait to see what God has to show me in Week 2!

Did you like the photo I selected for this article? You truly are valuable in HIS eyes. God’s Kingdom is a “no shame zone” so look UP and live UP in His eyes. When we look across (horizontal) we see the worldview and our vision is clouded.

• Mayra says:

I too am a pastor’s wife. Lots of insecurities creep up when I look at those around and wonder what they are thinking. Dangerous territory! Claim Psalm 121:1! Look up! 🙂

• Sue F says:

Insecurity is NOT humility. To be insecure in yourself is really to not trust in your God – which is exactly where Satan wants us to be. To be humble is to respect God for who He says He is. – That’s the big lesson that sticks out to me from Week 1.

• Cindy H says:

1. Where are you at in your life right now? I would say….reassembling. God is sending my husband and me to possibly a completely new denomination. After 41 years in the same one, this is amazing and totally exciting. He is really getting us out of our comfort zone!
    2. Have you ever hidden from God? Over the years, I have found myself, if not hiding, “avoiding” God.
    3. Which pitfall most often stands in your way? – Fear and insecurity sometimes looms its ugly head, but the more I pray and stand by Jesus, the braver I become.
    4. Share a favorite moment from this week’s study. I liked Tommie’s insight that Adam and Eve were hiding in the trees, and then God chose a tree–the cross, to prove his sacrificial love for us.

• Carolyn says:

Refreshing. My emotional often muffles God’s voice.

Yes. I do this when my emotions are hightened and I choose to allow them to lead me rather than the Lords.

Twisted theology

4.Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.
    I loved reading this: “God is not looking for a cleaned up version of us. He’s just looking for us. No pretense. No game face. No Miss Perfect. Just plain, ‘ole, ordinary you and me.”

I liked the quote-thanks for sharing it Carolyn.

• Monica, NY says:

I loved this quote too! Thx. for the reminder!

• Samantha says:

I liked your favorite moment from this week’s study also. Many times i have felt like I’ve got to read my bible, got to pray, got to be good, pure, perfect. I am ready do delight myself in God. I get to read God’s word, I get to spend time with God. That’s what I long for my relationship with God to be like.