Duty or Delight Bible Study Week 3

Welcome back to our summer bible study. We’re reading Duty or Delight by Tammie Head, and just finished week three, so we’re halfway through this study. Are you amazed at how fast the study is going? I as touched by your comments to the discussion questions last week. Your transparency inspires and leads others. While just a few are posting the answers, many are reading them!

Our third week of study is a look at God’s promises and when I saw the list of six promises we’ll receive and stand on, I just had to print them onto an index card to memorize them. The list reminds me to LOOK UP at God’s promises- instead of looking across with a worldview. When I LOOK UP I depend on God for answers, and I’m no longer asking my friends, husband or my mother for their advice. The answers are from Him and the promises He places inside my heart. Because I am a Daughter of the King, I claim His promises. I pray, God answers. As Tammie says “God has given us a road map that steers us clear.”

When we stand on the promises of people rather than God, our navigation system can misdirect us. For instance, if I ask a friend for advice and my friend is cranky, tired or depressed- her advice is influenced by her emotions. She directs me based on her feelings.  When we rely on advice from self-help books, we may be directed to self-protect or self-promote, rather than seeking a faithful God or a protective Father. When we claim our inheritance as HIS- we stand on God’s promises.

Tammie reminds us “God declared ‘you cannot live up to My righteous requirements of obedience; but if you’ll trust Me, I’ll be your supply.'” Let God be your supply today, tomorrow, during the week and for the rest of your life! If you have not called Christ into your heart, please do so today. How we communicate and live our lives depends on our relationship with the Lord. “It all comes from the same heart,” writes Tammie. Do you carry stones in your heart, or the love of Jesus. Ask God to examine you.

Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalm 51:10 NIV

The LORD is in his holy temple;
the LORD is on his heavenly throne.
He observes everyone on earth;
his eyes examine them. Psalm 11:4 NIV

Test me, LORD, and try me, examine my heart and my mind. Psalm 26:2 NIV

In the back of the book on page 156, Tammie suggests an exercise for small groups. I encourage you to do this at home and then share your experience with us. Find a rock you can carry with you, and on it write an aspect of God’s character- one of His promises. Carry the rock as an act of faith in trusting God this week.

Please visit the Prayer Wall to post a prayer, pray for someone, or post a praise report. At the bottom of the wall is a link called “newer comments” to see the newest prayers.

Tammie Head Quotes

• Shame before God is not ours to bear.
  • God is not looking for perfect people. He is looking for surrendered people.
  • Our sinfulness never took God by surprise.
  • The Lord never uncovers an area without having a gracious plan to do something about it.
  • When we rely on our own defenses, we reject God’s message of present protection.
  • We choose spiritual laziness by hiding in the distractions of this world.

1. Tammie says “When you ask Christ to come into your heart, He changes you from the inside out.” How does this change your view from seeing God as a duty to a delight? (page 65 )
  2. How do you guard your heart from distractions, so you have time with the Lord? (page 75 )
  3. How would your obedience change, if you viewed it as a way for God to love you more and reveal more of Himself to you? (page 78 )
  4. Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.

• Carin says:

It
    is a beautiful delight. He changes and transforms into something beautiful that cannot be explained.

My morning routine is to do the current study I am on. Yes, the enemy tries to distract me with internet surfing (FB, e-mails etc..). I sometimes catch myself & get mad that I lost 15 minutes that I could have absorbed more of God’s word.

My frustration is having God reveal more to me. I want to find where he is at daily. Distractions upset me I want to be close to him all day (not just in the morning). I feel I miss things that could have been a “GOD” opportunity.

Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.

This isn’t my favorite part but it is a reminder that we have to always be on guard as the enemy is so close that he wants us to think God is a duty and not a delight!

• Monica, NY says:

I agree Christine! Thx. for the encouragement!

• Allison says:

When Tammie explained the New Covenant as a revolutionary change in “will, heart and conscience.”, I was able to understand the change from the inside out theology. I was able to relate to this because I want my choices to be guided by a Christ-centered will and conscience.

I struggle with this. I am a newly unemployed, empty nester that has just moved to a new state. I have yet to find a church, hobbies, or friends. This computer and the television seem to be my companions, but I will pray for productivity to fill my time. That being said, at least I am doing these on-line Bible Studies and staying connected with Christian women. 🙂

3. How would your obedience change, if you viewed it as a way for God to love you more and reveal more of Himself to you? (page 78)

I learned that the more we obey the Lord, the more He will reveal Himself to us. Now that’s quite an incentive to study the Bible, spend time in prayer, and live a Spirit-filled life.

4. Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.

Tammy reinforced the truth that “our interpersonal relationships spill over into our relationship with the Lord. We are notorious for projecting what we’ve sustained in one relationship into another.” page 68. I was particularly struck by these words this week as someone who “lacked healthy love growing up.” The four common struggles on page 70 were right on for me…praying I can use the four ingredients for finding daily salvation and strength in the Lord. (Isa. 30:15) to gain confidence before God through repentance.

Get connected with a church bible study too. You can find them here:

Another option is to type in your city name plus the word “Bible Study” and see what churches near you are having these studies. Look for churches that are teaching some of the authors you already like, and then check out their services. It is important not to isolate in your new community- the devil can use that to cause depression and loneliness if it goes on too long. Get connected! You have to take the first setp because the church will not come to you.

HUGS and Love from California.
      🙂

• Jennifer D says:

4. Share a favorite moment from this week’s study. Page 61 the six promises we’ll receive & stand on. Page 70 the four common struggles. Page 83 at the top.

1.The heart is deceitful but God can’t lie. When He dwells in us and we allow HIm to, He makes beautiful things out of the rags. He takes what is beaten down in us and makes us new. His love is refreshing and makes us able to go on. How truly amazing!
    2.This is something that I still struggle with. I do try to end my day with God, whether it be a short talk, a note in my journal, or reading my Bible lesson. Throughout the day, when I start getting overwhelmed, I think on His word. I have postits, etc. in my office at work. But my big area that I know I need to work on is starting my day off with Him… and it comes from lack of discipline. I just am lazy in the morning and hit the snooze button… I have been praying that God will help me overcome this. I have also tried to get to bed earlier!
    3.I think it would increase my desire to be obedient. Sad to say, as humans we love acceptance and rewards. Thinking we are going to get something out of something makes us more willing to do things… but what greater thing can we get than Jesus and HIs love? And to really know Him… to have Him reveal himself to me… that is what I am praying for.
    4.Just reading God’s promises, and thinking on them. The realization that all of His promises are true…. He does what He says He will. This means that I am always protected, I have been made new, and that I am adopted unto an inheritance that can only be imagined. Wow!

1. Tammie says “ When you ask Christ to come into your heart, He changes you from the inside out.”

2. How do you guard your heart from distractions, so you have time with the Lord? (page 75) Try and not spend all day in front of the T.V. by turning it off or not on, reading is something else, I can not put down, so I try and spend less time at the library. Neither of these things are bad, but doing it for nine or more hours a day, makes it more of an idol. This way I can spend more time with the Lord, if I stop and think GOD FIRST, other things later.

3. How would your obedience change, if you viewed it a way for God to love you more and reveal more of Himself to you? (page 78) I would be quicker to obey Him, and spend more time with Him.1. Tammie says “When you ask Christ to come into your heart, He changes you from the inside out.” How does this change your view from seeing God as a duty to a delight? (page 65) This changes do to the fact that He Chose me to belong to Him, so this should not be a duty I owe Him, but a delight. He came into my heart to make me a better person. I can say that this study is changing me from always thinking God was a duty, but now He is becoming a delight to me, so one I take JOY in knowing.

3. How would your obedience change, if you viewed it a way for God to love you more and reveal more of Himself to you? (page 78) I would be quicker to obey Him, and spend more time with Him”

• Debby says:

I get up early to have a quiet time when no one else is around and then on my walk is when I spend my prayer time, talking with God. I find it inspirational to be outside and talking with Him.

Knowing that the more I obey Him, the more He will reveal is exciting. Not to be self satisfying, but it makes me want to obey to learn more about His nature.

• Monica, NY says:

Amen Cara! Your comment so hits home to me! I do the same exact thing instead of paying attention to my own relationship with God! Thanks so much for that reminder on pg. 78. I must have missed that the first reading! ..Anything less is a raw deal!!! I saw your vs. on Beth Moore’s Siesta Scripture memory! I loved her’s for this month too out of Galatians 6:1! ~ Love & Prayers & Thanks again for these words! It was a definite encouragement!

• Cara Louise Reitbauer says:

FINISHED WEEK 2! much better to be late than to have given up! I would have missed so much!
    I am finding so much here that is speaking directly to where I am right now- and am also feeling led by God to share with a few women close to me portions of this book that He is telling me.
    The guarding from distractions really hit home- as you can probably tell by the length of my posts I do like to write- I administer a few facebook Christian fellowship groups and am always trying to respond in encouraging ways to the prayer requests and life struggles that get posted. That can end up being my whole focus- what to write to that dear brother or sister- instead of paying attention to my own relationship with God. The paragraph at the top of page 78 was written directly to me: “Accepting anything less than growing intimacy with God is a raw deal. The Holy Spirit brings you wisdom and revelation so you may know God better. Don’t settle for less than He intends.”

• Monica, NY says:

This reply was suppose to be for Angie’s #4! I don’t know why it’s posted here, but that song is awesome & I loved your vs. in 1 Sam. 22 Sheree! I also love 2 Samuel 22:2.. referring to God as our Rock! 🙂

• Monica, NY says:

I <3'd that on pg. 64! Mind & Heart bending 4 sure!!!!

• Sheree says:

How do I guard my heart from distractions so I will have time with the Lord? This is a very good question, because distractions can hit you the moment your feet touch the floor in the mornings. When I was a younger mother, I would have to rise extra early to spend time with the Lord before my children woke up or else it was a hopeless case to find a spare moment the rest of the day and then in the evenings I was too exhausted to do anything but fall in the bed once my children went to bed (so all you young moms out there I commend you for arising early before your children wake up. I know the battle you face finding that time.). Now that my children are grown, I have two dogs who demand my attention the moment I wake up, and it doesn’t matter how early I rise, they are already up and eager for my attention, but at least they require very little attention, so I am able to meet with the Lord early in the mornings before getting ready for work. The early mornings are my favorite time of the day, because a fresh word with God before the sun rises is a blissful time for me. Why? Because His Word stays with me throughout the day. I am better able to cope with situations that may occur (because you never know what the day will bring), and I am armed with the Sword of the Spirit. When we go out into the world on a daily basis, we have to be on our guard at all times to defeat the enemy, because the enemy is always ready to try and defeat us in one sly way or another. I know…I’ve been there. If I miss my early morning quiet time, the day seems to have a domino effect, and I find that I am spinning out of control. I will end up in tears by the end of the day. WOW….it is definitely a spiritual battle out there if you know what I mean. I like the idea of the rock (pg 156) as a reminder of God’s character. Every year our “Abiding Joy” group meets at The Cove in Asheville, NC for a weekend of spiritual renewal. By the end of the weekend, we are all given a rock and a permanent marker to write something God has spoken to us that week that we want to remember. I love this, because it’s a reminder too that “My God, my rock, in whom I take refuge…” (2 Samuel 22:3). When we stand on the Rock, we stand on solid ground. This has been such an awesome week of Bible study, because we camped out daily on the solid ground promises of God. I spent a little extra time with Week 3’s Bible study because it was just toooo good. I am now beginning Week Four… I am loving this Bible study!!! Have a great week everyone 🙂

• Sheree says:

P.S.
      ♪ ♫ On Christ, the solid Rock, I stand; All other ground is sinking sand, All other ground is sinking sand ♪ ♫ ♪♫ I’ve been singing this song all morning ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫

• Love the post!! spirituality is the right way to come out of all the depression in life and forgot all the tensions.Its really very true that we always stands on the promises of the people rather than God Himself.That is why we misdirect our ways in life many times.We just need to dedicate our self to the lovely God.. The prayer is the way which connect us to the God and show us the right way.Love this sentence .”God has given us a road map that steers us clear.”
    God Bless you,

• Cara Louise Reitbauer says:

excellent idea Christine!
    sooo….any of my sisters here want to give this a try with me?
    I will post my email address here, with the moderator’s good judgment of course, if not I understand, and this post will not be allowed!
    Anybody who wants to try this with me can send me an email and we will make arrangements privately!

(email address removed, please read below)

We get 50-70 spam emails a day here, so we discourage you from posting your email address as a comment. There are two ways we can do this instead:

1) post a comment in the Facebook Bible Cafe Chat Room and connect there
      2) Send me an email and I will connect you with an accountability partner

My contact information:

• Cara Louise Reitbauer says:

okay ladies- you heard her! send your email to Christine mentioning accountability partner and we’ll all get hooked up somehow! THANK YOU!

Christine,

I would like to be her accountability partner. You can send her my e-mail address. THanks.

• Cara Louise Reitbauer says:

Here I am late in posting…regret to say that I didn’t finish the lesson AGAIN…I have read through the other comments and boy does the statement about being DISTRACTED resonate with me! (I haven’t even read that far…how distracted am I?) I am really struggling with these lessons- probably because the enemy knows I really need them and is working hard to keep me away! Keep praying for me sisters, that I may come out victorious, as I am praying the same for each of you!

The thoughts that encouraged me most this week: page 64, “God knows we’re a mess. He knows we cannot and will not do this relationship thing unless He comes and does it in us.” and page 68, “God’s intent for uncovering any areas where we need some help and healing will always be for applying the medicine of who He is to that place.”

Pressing on!

One thing that has helped me Cara is to find an accountability partner. Each morning when I finish my study I send a text message to my partner. She does the same for me. When we do not hear from each other, we send a text. It’s uncomfortable and yet it works- try it out!

• Briget Beal says:

As much as possible, I try to have my time with God, first thing in the morning. I love it when the house is quiet and everyone is asleep. For me this is a time of day when I can really hear from God. On days when I don’t have this time with the Lord my day seems to be very off balance. So my quiet time is important to my overall spiritual health.

• Ginger says:

1.Tammie says “When you ask Christ to come into your heart, He changes you from the inside out.” How does this change your view from seeing God as a duty to a delight? (page 65 ) Just like Rebecca above, the key for me is “He changes me.” For so long, I tried to change myself. What an absolute joy it is to know that God will change me if, as Tammie says, I just surrender to Him! What a delight!
    2.How do you guard your heart from distractions, so you have time with the Lord? (page 75 ) Like many others have already stated, I have to spend time with the Lord in the morning. If I wait until later in the day, it never happens. Something always pops up, or I am so tired at night that when I try to read the Word or pray, I get too sleepy or just don’t have the mental focus. So the mornings are sweet times … I sit in my sunroom, with my cup of tea like someone else mentioned. The house is quiet, the sun is just coming up, and it truly is the dawning of a new day. It’s a perfect time to spend with the One who created it all and bask in His glory! I am still trying to discipline myself, though, not to rush through it to get to my my mile-long to do list!
    3.How would your obedience change, if you viewed it as a way for God to love you more and reveal more of Himself to you? (page 78 ) I sort of struggled with this question, as I don’t think God CAN love us more than He already does. But what I think Tammie means is that it is a way for God to express His love for us more. Anyway, when I think about it in terms of my own step-son, and how we long to provide blessing and a full life for him, which comes to him more when he is obedient than disobedient, the concept becomes more clear to me.
    4.Share a favorite moment from this week’s study. I LOVE this quote: God never uncovers an arew without having a gracious plan to do something about it. He does not expose for exposure’s sake alone. God’ intent for uncovering any eares where we need some help and healing will always be for applying the medicine of who He is to that place. WOW!

I feel like a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders this week. I have always struggled and strained to try to change myself with very little success which has been a heavy load to bear. Learning that God takes responsibility for changing me from the inside out and all I have to do is rest in Him and follow Him is so freeing. I am truly beginning to delight in God for the first time in my life.

This is definitely an area that I’m not winning in yet. I want to spend more time with God but allow the desire for more sleep to distract me in the mornings and the television and internet to distract me in the evenings. This is another one of the areas I have tried to change in my own power without success so I am going to begin doing what Tammie said she does – offer God these distractions and allow Him to put limitations on me.

I would obey quicker and with a happier, more eager heart.

4. Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.
    Page 64: “He knows we cannot and will not do this relationship thing unless He comes and does it in us. Oh, the thought.” Mind- and heart-bending is what that is! I thank you and praise you Father, you are so good.

• Rebecca says:

The key for me were the words “He changes you”. It reminded me that the change in me doesn’t come from me. It is from God. I can’t do “things” to change, I can only surrender to Him. That removes a huge weight from me.
    This is something I am still working on. For me I need to be in a group study where I have accountability to others. Always have television, radio, computer, etc. off during my study time or prayer time.

• Rhonda says:

Because I am able to reflect on my life and see God has always been there even when I was attentive. It was the hardness of my own heart that separated me from Him. I was only paying lip service to God and the change I am seeing in my own life is that I WANT to be closer to Him. I feel like a film has been taken from my eyes.
    How do you guard your heart from distractions, so you have time with the Lord? (page 75 ). I tend to get overly busy when I have concerns. Rather than turning to God, I throw myself into work, a project etc. I am learning that I need to turn towards God for refreshment of my soul. I look forward to these times with God and find them as a balm to my weary self, making me want to spend even more time with HIm.
    How would your obedience change, if you viewed it as a way for God to love you more and reveal more of Himself to you? (page 78 ) As I stated above, I am already seeing the time I spend with Him to be changing my life. I am less stressed, and more contented. I look forward to the time I spend alone with my Lord now. What a difference I am seeing in my life.
    Share a favorite moment from this week’s study. I love that Tammie shares things about her family as that helps everything seem like it is attainable by all of us. If Tammie and her family are daily seeing God in their lives, then the rest of us can see it too.

• Amanda says:

2. My distraction is definitely the internet, email, and Facebook. Sometimes if it start to become a bad habit, I will deactivate my FB account for a while to kind of “fast” from it to get back on track.
    3. I would be less “spiritually lazy” and turn to God more in all situations.
    4. Page 66 was very comforting – I loved the last three paragraphs talking about how our sinfulness doesn’t take God by surprise and that even though we may have done things even as Christians that we arent proud of, his forgiveness and cleansing is ours for the taking.

I’m very much enjoying this study!

• Monica, NY says:

That’s one of my distractions too Amanda! That’s a great idea & I’ve been thinking about doing the same for a short season! I can always go back! Thx. for the transparency! God is so sweet!

• Stephanie says:

I took a facebook fast and it’s been over a month! I found I really didn’t miss it.

• Carolyn says:

I try to wake up every morning and ask God to organize my day. When I do this, I feel less flustered and more centered in His word.
    I would act in accordance to His will more consistently.
    Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.
    Christine, I highlighted one of the same phrases as you: “God is not looking for perfect people. He is looking for surrendered people.”

• Monica, NY says:

Fantastic week from learning About our security in Christ to “Standing” in His Presence. I’m encouraged that He’s…BLESSED((or in the Greek..God himself has Spoken a Good Word over us…isn’t that awesome?!)) us in the heavenly realms with EVERY spiritual blessing. (see Ephesians 1:3) Loved the idea, Christine of putting God’s Redeemed Rights last week; His Promises this week on index cards; the reminder to Look Up! The videos are an encouragement too. , but the Best is the pretty pink tear off’s in the back! All the Quotes you mentioned spoke to my heart as well….Love that He’s not lookign for perfect people but Surrendered people!
    1.)That He put a NEW heart & spirit in me; moved me to follow Him! Transformation from the inside out; that He continues to Transform by the renewing of my mind(Romans 12:2)..I delight in what Tammy said that my desire to love Him will never compare to His desire to love me; that He’s passionate about saving the ones He lovingly created so much so that He does it with every bit of His OWN heart; soul! He’s gently teaching me to stop Resisting; start Resting. He is the Protector of my heart. I felt God in this song-Hold Me Together related so much to this week & wanted to share!
    3). I ask God to give me an Undivided Heart that I may Know Him Better & Praise Him well..(Psalm 86:11)…esp. when my email is piling up & I have Facebook flaring it’s ugly head @ me @ times lol! Not that I’m against FB but it can take up WAAAYYYY to much of my time if I allow it! I loved what she said about how we can sometimes choose spiritual laziness by hiding in the distractions of this world & that’s when the breakdown in our relationships occur. FB can definately be one of those distractions for me if I choose to let it. It does come back to our hearts. I loved Gods promise that He supplies “singleness of heart” in Jeremiah 32:37-39. I’m learning to allow Him to gather me in every area so He can reveal more of Himself to me. The fact that He would even want to is awesome & very humbling.(John 14:21) I think It does boil down to those 4 ingredients she listed in Isaiah 30:15 “For the Lord, God, the Holy One of Israel has said; “You’ll be delivered by RETURNING & RESTING; Your strength will lie in QUITE CONFIDENCE. but you would not have it.” (HCSB) ….Trust & Obey has took on a new meaning to me this season of my life & I’m learning God is my Delight!
    4) I’ve been loving learning that I’ve been Chosen, & have rec’d Redemption in Him. & rec’d an Inheritance in Him through this study. My favorite moment of this week was when I read this weeks confidence booster in the (HCSB)..”In Him we were also Made HIS INHERITANCE…” (Eph. 1:11-12)…We as believers are Christ’s inheritance. Jesus repeatedly speaks of believers as gifts that the Father had given Him..(John 6:37, John 6:39, John 10:29, John 17:2, John 17:24)..From eternity past the Father planned & determined that every person who would Trust in His Son for salvation would be given to His Son as a possession, a glorious inheritance! ..”And they will be Mine says the Lord of Host on the Day that I prepare My own possesion!” Malachi 3:17..In Christ Jesus won us @ Calvary as the spoils of His Victory over satan, sin, & death
    I delight today that ” I’m His Inheritance” & “He is My Inheritance” through His Precious Blood! That’s what I wrote on my Rock this week..front & back! …& I’m Standing on That!~In Him

• Jessica says:

1) Christ wants to come into our hearts and change us, so we will be more like Him and want His desires for our lives instead of our own. Knowing that he wants to change me from the inside out makes me feel overjoyed. It makes me want to praise Him for His unfailing love for me.

3) I would seek after God with a whole heart, knowing that I obey God out of my love for Him, loving Him more than life itself. I would find that to be a delight.

4) A favorite moment in week 3 was learning that God has promised us an inheritance in Him, and I know it will be a beautiful inheritance.

• Laura says:

1.Tammie says “When you ask Christ to come into your heart, He changes you from the inside out.” How does this change your view from seeing God as a duty to a delight? (page 65 ) This reaity is one that inspires a holy, reverant awe and fear of the Lord. He delights to live IN me! He deserves absolutely everything back and fills me with a desire to just praise Him for His amazing love in reaching down and abiding in this sin stained heart.
    2.How do you guard your heart from distractions, so you have time with the Lord? (page 75 ) I have to first qualify this as saying this is 100% God, 0% Laura, but as I pleaded with God to help me give Him the firstfruits of my time, He changed me. My entire life I have been the furthest person on the face of this planet from being anything near a morning person, yet for the past couple of years He has enable me to get up between 5-5:30 in the morning so I have three hours before work. The first 90 minutes goes to the Lord and I love that time in the Word and in prayer. The entire house is so quiet and I have my cup of tea and absolutely love this time. Praise God! I wish I had started this much earlier in life, but thankful through His enabling, I am there now. All glory to God for this one!
    3.How would your obedience change, if you viewed it as a way for God to love you more and reveal more of Himself to you? (page 78 ) I would be more surrendered, and seek after Him more wholeheartedly. It would also drive me to quicker repentence when I sin. I do want so much more of Him, and I do want to go so much deeper in my walk with the Lord. I want my life to bring Him glory above all else. Lord, help me to surrender to your Word in complete obedience!
    4.Share a favorite moment from this week’s study. I loved the scripture 2 Cor 1:20, “For no matter how many promised God has made, they are ‘Yes’ in Christ and so through Him, the Amen is spoken by us to the glory of God”. Tammie says on page 80, “I love the fact that God eventually called Joshua and the people to fight for their promise. Have you ever noticed how most of us tend to value something much more when we’ve had to give our all for it? Some fights are worth it. Fighting for victory in Jesus is one of them”. This is an encouragement to not give up fighting for the salvation of my husband. This is a battle I have waged in prayer for years and can get discouraged at times. The enemy wants nothing more than for us to give up the fight and accept defeat but praise God that battle belongs to the Lord and in His Name, there is victory!

Like you, I find intimacy at the feet of Jesus in my morning time. It’s difficult to describe the feeling that comes when I begin my day with Christ and I center my thoughts on him, rather than on my family, work or self. In the early morning I’m not distracted by my thoughts or my commitments. It’s just me and Jesus! He is waiting for me each morning I wake, just as Jesus spent His mornings in solitude and prayer.

• Stephanie says:

We choose spiritual laziness by hiding in the distractions of this world.- I love this! My distractions are usually letting something someone said just eat at me. I lose a spiritual perspective. I have more confidence in a careless comment than in God’s word about my life. I am learning to stand confidently in God’s plan for me and let others do what they will. That is the only way I can truly love them. It’s hard to love someone when I am holding them for dear life. I hold to God for dear life and everything falls in place.

• Cindy H says:

1) Last Sunday, I was in church and just listening to the beautiful praise music. I pictured Jesus sitting in a chair in the corner of the church. He was leaning forward, his legs crossed, and tapping his foot to the music— a huge smile on his face! What a delight and pleasure it is to praise and worship Him.
    2) Early morning has always been my time with the Lord. It lends itself to silence and contemplation. During the day when worries crowd my mind or night when I can’t sleep, I have learned to just say the name of Jesus over and over until peace overcomes.
    3) There would be a lot less heartache if I was always obedient to God. There are times when I convince myself that I am being obedient when down deep I know that I am not. Just as we do with children, God often gives us choices……….
    4) Picturing Tammie’s friend showing up at her door with a huge stone in her arms. 🙂