Welcome back to our summer bible study. We’re reading Duty or Delight by Tammie Head, and just finished week three, so we’re halfway through this study. Are you amazed at how fast the study is going? I as touched by your comments to the discussion questions last week. Your transparency inspires and leads others. While just a few are posting the answers, many are reading them!
Our third week of study is a look at God’s promises and when I saw the list of six promises we’ll receive and stand on, I just had to print them onto an index card to memorize them. The list reminds me to LOOK UP at God’s promises- instead of looking across with a worldview. When I LOOK UP I depend on God for answers, and I’m no longer asking my friends, husband or my mother for their advice. The answers are from Him and the promises He places inside my heart. Because I am a Daughter of the King, I claim His promises. I pray, God answers. As Tammie says “God has given us a road map that steers us clear.”
When we stand on the promises of people rather than God, our navigation system can misdirect us. For instance, if I ask a friend for advice and my friend is cranky, tired or depressed- her advice is influenced by her emotions. She directs me based on her feelings. When we rely on advice from self-help books, we may be directed to self-protect or self-promote, rather than seeking a faithful God or a protective Father. When we claim our inheritance as HIS- we stand on God’s promises.
Tammie reminds us “God declared ‘you cannot live up to My righteous requirements of obedience; but if you’ll trust Me, I’ll be your supply.'” Let God be your supply today, tomorrow, during the week and for the rest of your life! If you have not called Christ into your heart, please do so today. How we communicate and live our lives depends on our relationship with the Lord. “It all comes from the same heart,” writes Tammie. Do you carry stones in your heart, or the love of Jesus. Ask God to examine you.
Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalm 51:10 NIV
The LORD is in his holy temple;
the LORD is on his heavenly throne.
He observes everyone on earth;
his eyes examine them. Psalm 11:4 NIV
Test me, LORD, and try me, examine my heart and my mind. Psalm 26:2 NIV
In the back of the book on page 156, Tammie suggests an exercise for small groups. I encourage you to do this at home and then share your experience with us. Find a rock you can carry with you, and on it write an aspect of God’s character- one of His promises. Carry the rock as an act of faith in trusting God this week.
Tammie Head Quotes
- Shame before God is not ours to bear.
- God is not looking for perfect people. He is looking for surrendered people.
- Our sinfulness never took God by surprise.
- The Lord never uncovers an area without having a gracious plan to do something about it.
- When we rely on our own defenses, we reject God’s message of present protection.
- We choose spiritual laziness by hiding in the distractions of this world.
For Next Week
- Read Week Four in the workbook
- Watch the Duty or Delight Videos (Look under Support Materials at bottom of page)
- Join our Womens Bible Cafe Chat on Facebook
Group Discussion- Answer one question or as many as you like
- Tammie says “When you ask Christ to come into your heart, He changes you from the inside out.” How does this change your view from seeing God as a duty to a delight? (page 65 )
- How do you guard your heart from distractions, so you have time with the Lord? (page 75 )
- How would your obedience change, if you viewed it as a way for God to love you more and reveal more of Himself to you? (page 78 )
- Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.