Brave Bible Study Week 3

By July 31, 2011Brave

Welcome back to our summer online bible study at the Womens Bible Study Cafe! We just finished reading week three of Brave by Angela Thomas.  Laziness was our discussion for the week as we grabbed a spiritual shovel and started digging into the root of undisciplined. Everyone admits to lacking discipline in some are of their life, yet many of us are unsure how to correct the problem. We invest money in diet programs, self-help books,time-management systems and even personal coaches to help us overcome a lack of discipline. Did you notice a common thread: money! The American way is to grab money (often money we do not have) and then purchase our way out of a problem or situation.  Whatever we struggle with can be “purchased away.”

Yet Angela Thomas teaches us that discipline is a struggle between the flesh and the Spirit. If we continue to sell our flesh we eventually fall into a pit of sin or despair. Walking with the Spirit keeps us from falling into the pit, as He guides us and intercedes. When we hear His voice inside our hearts, we need to yield to Him and listen. When we don’t hear His voice, we need to pray and ask for direction. It’s easier to yield to the Spirit and walk by faith then it is to fall into the pit and claw your way back out. If you’ve been in a pit- you know what I mean. If you have not been in a pit- watch your step. Make sure the Spirit is leading, not you.

Falling into a pit results from walking by flesh.

Train yourself to listen to the Spirit, heed His wisdom and follow the direction He leads you. Recognize the voice of the enemy and know when he wants you to stumble. Chip Ingram author of the Invisible War says “the battle is between your ears.” Remember this, when laziness tempts you. Read scripture and recognize the difference between rest and lazy, flesh and spirit. What’s in your heart guides your mind-  seek a pure heart filled with the presence of the Spirit. Learn to control your flesh by controlling your heart. Tend your spiritual garden and pull out the weeds.

Angela sums it up saying “we must maintain an intimate, consistent dependence on the Spirit of God inside us.” She says, “this is what it means to serve God from inside a human vessel.”

Our Prayer Wall has changed and now you can post prayers or praise reports as comments to the page. Please visit the prayer wall and cover these men and women with prayers. Thank you.

Angela Thomas Quotes

• The battle is real, and it is spiritual.
  • The only way to change a spiritual battle is to fight in the Spirit.
  • We must live in accordance with what the Spirit desires.
  • The power to live a disciplined life is already inside you.

1. Name one way that you can begin training for self-discipline in your life. (page 75 )
  2. Name one thing you can do to be more in step with the Holy Spirit. (page 82)
  4. Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.

• Lori DEevers says:

I am behind on the study but chiming in here….I so needed the motivation to “get those shoes laced up” as she put it on day 3 ….a great week….but exercise and eating I am doing well in, it’s time in prayer….and I start the same way I did with running….60 secs at a time, build up over time…prayer is eternal, It will effect generations, it can effect across the globe, and Satan for sure wants us blind to it’s power

• Allison says:

Avoidance…if we have a tendency to spend money on things we do not need or have the money for, we should stay out of the stores. If we have a tendency to eat things that are not healthy, we should not put them in our grocery store basket. If we have a tendency to participate in binge drinking, we should stay away from parties and bars. We can replace the time spent on the things we need to avoid with the things we need to do, such as prayer, Bible study, volunteering, exercising, etc. Easier said, than done, yes but doable.

2. Name one thing you can do to be more in step with the Holy Spirit. (page 82)

I can listen.
    The Lord knows my needs, my weaknesses, and my propensity toward a lack of discipline. I need to stop and listen to God and obey the Spirit of God as he leads me into a more productive, disciplined life.

3. Finish this sentence: If I am Brave enough to be disciplined in my life, it would mean…..I would get off the sofa in front of the TV, or I will stay out of the stores to avoid the temptation of buying things I don’t need and can’t afford.

4. Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.

Page 79 ” When you welcome responsibility, you decide to stop blaming your past, your family, and your own dumb choices.” I need to read this quote every day.

• Victoria says:

The question in the book asked for 3, so here is what I put: Waking up, Praying, Working out

2. Name one thing you can do to be more in step with the Holy Spirit. (page 82)
    The 6 that I listed were: Bible in morning, Prayer in morning, Smile even when it’s tough, Hide His Word in my heart, Pray every trial through, Surround myself with Christian friends.

that I glorify God more and more with all that I do and that I reflect Jesus instead of the world.

4. Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.
    Day 5! HE IS MY STRENGTH!
    Starting with the small stuff! The 10 Ways to Begin on pgs 78-79!!!

1.My areas of undiscipline are: getting in God’s Word each day and my weight. So I wrote I could start getting up earlier and journaling, and work through my Couch to 5 K program for running. I read on many others posts in the Duty or Delight how they learned to turn getting up early over to me, so I am earnestly praying that He will help me.
    2. Be still! LIsten!!! Rest!!! This will help me be able to hear what the Spirit is telling me…
    3. If I am Brave enough to be disciplined in my life, it would mean…..giving up my “wants” for my needs. Learning to rely on God for my fulfillment instead of all of the extra “stuff”.
    4.I really liked this week. Romans 7:15 really hit home because it SO could have been me that wrote that… I hate how I act or react sometimes… yet I still do it. But God is working… and will continue to work =)

• Jennifer D says:

4. Share a favorite moment from this week’s study. Page 73 Training required–I believe that all things requiring training. Page 74 the middle of the page on Self-discipline. Page 75 bottom of the page–I am. Day 4–just the title is problem, because I have sometimes I admit that I am lazy sometimes. On page 77 it says start with the small steps, which reminds of what Fly lady says small steps do work, don’t jump into to everything head in, go in slowly, one step at a time.

• Laura says:

Name one way that you can begin training for self-discipline in your life. (page 75 ) I can make a list of things to get done each day, and make sure it gets completed…like that basket of laundry that has been waiting to be folded and put away for 4 days.
    Name one thing you can do to be more in step with the Holy Spirit. (page 82) Start and end each day in prayer, remembering my dependence on God.
    Finish this sentence: If I am Brave enough to be disciplined in my life, it would mean I can accomplish anything! (with help from God, of course 🙂
    Share a favorite moment from this week’s study. I always enjoy the passage on the fruits of the spirit, and how appropriate in this week’s Bible study. I think I will post these verses on my bathroom mirror as an everyday reminder of the Spirit’s fruits in my life.

• Rebecca says:

-going to the gym at least 3 times a week, committing to 100% following weight watchers
    Name one thing you can do to be more in step with the Holy Spirit. (page 82)
    – being “Brave” everyday, having quite time to listen to God, listening with my whole heart
    – … Being the most authentic, healthiest (physically, spiritually and mentally) version of myself
    Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.
    -page 65 “The next time someone shares their struggle, I can resist temptation to trump her struggle… I will bite my tounge before I give her three easy ways to overcome… I will listen… I will pray with consistency and meaning”. This was an eye opening moment for me. Many of my friends ask me for advice but this statement really taught me you don’t have to fix their problems, we need to listen and give it to him and that is all God needs from us and he will do the rest. 🙂

• Carol says:

Starting off my day early by getting up around 5:00 – 6:00 am and I got back on schedule hiking with my Lab for exercise for both of us, doing my “Brave” bible study every day and putting on the armor of God, too. I have been reading “The Invisible War” by Chip Ingram and it is excellent.

Name one thing you can do to be more in step with the Holy Spirit. (page 82)
    I desire to obey the Holy Spirit more often because God gives His strength through the Spirit.

Finish this sentence: If I am Brave enough to be disciplined in my life, it would mean….. freedom to be the person God wants me to be and being a God pleaser not a man pleaser.

Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.
    There was a lot of “Wow” moments for me. I never saw myself as a “slug” before and now after finishing this session, the Lord asked me…would you rather be a butterfly to rise above your circumstances, and soar?

• Rhonda says:

Name one way that you can begin training for self-discipline in your life. (page 75 ) I have started waking up a little earlier to have quiet time with God and I carry my study book so whenever I have a free minute I can read more.
    Name one thing you can do to be more in step with the Holy Spirit. (page 82) Give more of myself to those around me. I work with the mentally ill and have found many of them are longing to talk about God to someone. I want them to be able to see God in me.
    Finish this sentence: If I am Brave enough to be disciplined in my life, it would mean…. I would be less stressed, more satisfied with where I am at life, and have more peace of heart.
    Share a favorite moment from this week’s study. I just have to say I am really humbled by the way Tammie is making us really looking at our inner hearts. I have never had to look so hard at myself but feel so energized by it as I am DOING something to affect change in my life. Thank you Tammie.

• Rhonda says:

oops it seems I copied this from my other Bible study by mistake. In many ways I am finding the two studies seem to reinforce each other. This study as well as the other is providing me with the opportunity to look at myself without feeling bad about where I am and to know God is working with me to be who He wants me to be. This is comforting and pushes me to work harder to be my best at the same time.

1. Name one way you can begin training for self-discipline in your life? By spending more time in the Word, study and more prayer time. That is more than one sorry.

2. Name one thing you can do to be more in step with the Holy Spirit? I had a hard time with this one, for sometimes I do not feel the Holy Spirit near, but to be in step with Him….follow Him, seek Him in all I do, and learn to listen for that small still voice. Also be more dependent on Him.

3. Finish this sentence: If I am Brave enough to be disciplined in my life, It would mean……..I would spent more time with God in prayer and study and less time in front of the T.V and my nose in books.

4. Share a favorite moment from this week’s study. On the video where Angela says “We need to be on FIRE for Jesus”. I forget that and than my fire goes out some and I need more fuel to bring it back up. FIRRAH! This girl wants to LIVE ON FIRRAH! ( Angela page 79), I so want that in my life.

Blessings to all, and have a great week in the LORD.

• Bri says:

Name one thing you can do to be more in step with the Holy Spirit. (page 82)

Start the day with God. Be joyful. Be patient. Okay so that was more than one, but those are a few of my steps!!! 🙂

• Robin says:

1.Name one way that you can begin training for self-discipline in your life. (page 75 )

Since I am undisciplined with exercise and food I have written out a schedule to do every morning, which includes a walk on the treadmill then a dip in the pool, and food and exercise journaling.

4.Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.
    My favorite moment was when I realized that I am NOT alone. It doesn’t matter whether anyone is there to cheer me on or notice I’ve lost a few pounds, I am never alone.

I’m with you on the treadmill Robin! My “one thing” was to remove the pile of junk off the treadmill so I can start using it! 🙂 I buried my treadmill thinking I would have an excuse to avoid it.

• Julie says:

1. Name one way that you can begin training for self-discipline in your life.
    Walking 3 times a week and making 5 business calls per week will get me focused and disciplined in both my health and second business. I had fallen into a pit and thought I could buy myself out of my situation and live in the flesh and not in the Spirit.

2. Name one thing you can do to be more in step with the Holy Spirit.
    Daily focused prayer time, thanking God and showing my obedience through listening and following the direction of the Spirit not the flesh.

that I would work and exercise regularly without allowing myself to give excuse after excuse on why I can’t do something; “I’m tired, I don’t feel well, I will do it later” — and never do. I need to be obedient to God, not obedient to the devil who wishes to destroy my relationship with God and destroy me.

4.Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.
    This week was fantastic. I really needed to hear this lesson and take to heart what the Holy Spirit was revealing to me. That I had become undisciplined and not obedient to God and that the root of the challenges I have in the flesh was due to me being obedient to the flesh and not to the Spirit. I do hear God telling me that I can do the things that I know he wants me to do — but I had listened to the devil so long allowing him to tell me I can’t. In this lesson, I learned that the Spirit has already put inside me all I need to win over the flesh and to live in the Spirit! Wow! I know I have all the tools and I CAN overcome the flesh. I can win this battle and live in obedience and discipline. That gives me such a sense of happiness knowing that I can come out of this pit! Thank you sweet Jesus!!

• Rhonda says:

I agree this week’s study was outstanding and seemed to speak directly to me. I am so thankful that God is using Tammie to help us understand that we CAN have the peace we need in our lives we are all striving for and that the more we give of oursleves to God, the more of His blessing He can give us!

• Yvette says:

1. one way to train myself in self discipline is to realize I can’t do ANYTHING without God’s help. Not even the small stuff.

2. one thing to be a step with the Holy Spirit, is to seek him first w guidance of everything. For example, feeling frustrated at the job I am on. instead of continuing to mummer about it, ask God to guide me in the next step to do to resolve the problem. Staying in my flesh isn’t going to do anything but produce more of the flesh. Time to jump into the spirit a whole lot more in ALL matters, not just some matters!

3. If I’m brave enough to be discipline in my life, it would mean…turning everything to God…being a wife, being a daughter, being a friend, being an employee…everything must be presented before God or I simply wont have discipline in areas where I lack, period.

4. My favorite moment of the study was the chapter on laziness. I must confess I have been lazy when it comes to somethings with being a wife. Like making a house into a home. It was a “tight but its right” type of chapter and I was thankful for the correction. I am now asking God to send deliverance with me w that spirit.

“Staying in my flesh isn’t going to do anything but produce more of the flesh. ” That’s a good reminder I needed to hear, thank you Yvette.

A good technique for making a house into a home is the FlyLady system. She taught me to “bless my home” and not see cleaning as a chore but rather as a gift. for more info check http://flylady.com

Ask the Holy Spirit to change my nature. I’m undisciplined in several areas of my life but with God’s help I can change and be the person he wants me to be. I’ve made the first step by joining this cafe and participating in the bible studies. I’m learning so much and my eyes and my heart are being opened with almost every page I turn. I did think that I was the only one that stuggled through some of these issues. During this study this week I started a program to regain my physical strength.
    2.Name one thing you can do to be more in step with the Holy Spirit. (page 82)
    Pray that I listen for and obey the Holy Spirit. I have a hard time meditating for long periods of time. My mind is going a million miles a minute so I’m trying to slow down and listen for guidance.
    3.Finish this sentence: If I am Brave enough to be disciplined in my life, it would mean…..
    Even though I’m tempted to say weight loss I know that it really is spiritual maturity. I’ve been lost for a long time but through God’s love I feel changes occurring in my life. I am so thankful for the Womens Bible Cafe.
    4.Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.
    The following statement – we will never become what we desire until we take our weakness to the only One who can make us strong.

Like you, I also “have a hard time meditating for long periods of time. My mind is going a million miles a minute so I’m trying to slow down and listen for guidance.” So I do not meditate. Instead, I have conversations with Jesus inside my heart. As my mind goes a million miles I include Jesus into those conversations. I ask for His wisdom, I ask for his advice and I ask Him to guide me.

Thanks so much for the conversations inside my heart suggestion. I will definitely try that. I, too, ask for wisdom, advice and guidance.

I am also looking at my weight… this past Monday I started a three month challenge with some facebook friends, and chose 2 Corinthians 12:9-10 as my “Promise” to stand on throughout. When I am weak… He is strong. Thank God =)