Welcome back to our summer online bible study at the Womens Bible Study Cafe! We just finished reading week three of Brave by Angela Thomas. Laziness was our discussion for the week as we grabbed a spiritual shovel and started digging into the root of undisciplined. Everyone admits to lacking discipline in some are of their life, yet many of us are unsure how to correct the problem. We invest money in diet programs, self-help books,time-management systems and even personal coaches to help us overcome a lack of discipline. Did you notice a common thread: money! The American way is to grab money (often money we do not have) and then purchase our way out of a problem or situation. Whatever we struggle with can be “purchased away.”
Yet Angela Thomas teaches us that discipline is a struggle between the flesh and the Spirit. If we continue to sell our flesh we eventually fall into a pit of sin or despair. Walking with the Spirit keeps us from falling into the pit, as He guides us and intercedes. When we hear His voice inside our hearts, we need to yield to Him and listen. When we don’t hear His voice, we need to pray and ask for direction. It’s easier to yield to the Spirit and walk by faith then it is to fall into the pit and claw your way back out. If you’ve been in a pit- you know what I mean. If you have not been in a pit- watch your step. Make sure the Spirit is leading, not you.
Falling into a pit results from walking by flesh.
Train yourself to listen to the Spirit, heed His wisdom and follow the direction He leads you. Recognize the voice of the enemy and know when he wants you to stumble. Chip Ingram author of the Invisible War says “the battle is between your ears.” Remember this, when laziness tempts you. Read scripture and recognize the difference between rest and lazy, flesh and spirit. What’s in your heart guides your mind- seek a pure heart filled with the presence of the Spirit. Learn to control your flesh by controlling your heart. Tend your spiritual garden and pull out the weeds.
Angela sums it up saying “we must maintain an intimate, consistent dependence on the Spirit of God inside us.” She says, “this is what it means to serve God from inside a human vessel.”
Our Prayer Wall has changed and now you can post prayers or praise reports as comments to the page. Please visit the prayer wall and cover these men and women with prayers. Thank you.
Angela Thomas Quotes
- The battle is real, and it is spiritual.
- The only way to change a spiritual battle is to fight in the Spirit.
- We must live in accordance with what the Spirit desires.
- The power to live a disciplined life is already inside you.
For Next Week
- Read Week Four in the workbook
- Optional: Watch the Session Five Video (optional due to cost)
- Join our Womens Bible Cafe Chat on Facebook
Group Discussion- Answer one question or as many as you like
- Name one way that you can begin training for self-discipline in your life. (page 75 )
- Name one thing you can do to be more in step with the Holy Spirit. (page 82)
- Finish this sentence: If I am Brave enough to be disciplined in my life, it would mean…..
- Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.