Brave Bible Study Week 2

By July 25, 2011Brave

Welcome back to the Womens Bible Study Cafe! We’ve just finished reading week two of Brave by Angela Thomas.  This week we studied a difficult subject and learned about the thorn in our side or in the side of someone we love. Our lesson centered on this scripture verse:

7And to keep me from being puffed up and too much elated by the exceeding greatness (preeminence) of these revelations, there was given me a thorn (a splinter) in the flesh, a messenger of Satan, to rack and buffet and harass me, to keep me from being excessively exalted. [Job. 2:6.] 2 Corinthians 12:7-9 Amplified

When I look at the verse in the Amplified version, I am reminded the thorn is a small as a splinter in God’s Kingdom- yet often as huge as a truck in ours. When we are tempted to amplify the thorn it soon becomes the center of our lives and we take our focus off God. Angela writes “it is a thorn in my flesh until God decides to remove it or until I stand in glory, finally free.”

Angela Thomas explains the importance of thorns in this week’s study- why they are necessary and how they are removed. Our week ends with a lesson in humility- something we often experience after being pierced with a thorn. She writes “May the humility of our thorns become a beautiful coat to be worn for the glory of God.”

Our Prayer Wall has changed and now you can post prayers or praise reports as comments to the page. Please visit the prayer wall and cover these men and women with prayers. Thank you.

Angela Thomas Quotes

• Even the solidly grounded believer can give in to the pain and begin doubting her worth because of a thorn.
  • Satan wants you to doubt God’s love for you.
  • Humility is not thinking less of yourself; it’s thinking of yourself less.
  • The grace of God is not a secret you keep locked in your soul.

1. What is your thorn? If it is a person, please don’t use names, just say “a relationship.” ( page 37 )
  2. What kind of weakness has the thorn produced in your life? (page 49 )
  3. What keeps you from receiving contentment? (page 54 )
  4. Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.

• Jennifer D says:

I am totally late. Here is the section I picked.
    4. Share a favorite moment from this week’s study. What I love about the chapter, it is thought provoking, it is making you dig deep, & it is allowing you to deal with the thorn. In addition, I also enjoyed page 39 at the top under I am, & page 47 where it says Some of the modern day signs of discouragement are.

• Laura says:

A little late, but finally getting a chance to make some comments…

I am so blessed, I hesitate to call it a thorn, but to me it seems that my blessings are my thorn. I have four little ones at home and I find that I sometimes resent them for the fact that I have no time for me. Partly, it’s my fault for not taking time for me, which this Bible study is forcing me to do! Recently, through this Bible study and conversation, and through sermons and other reading, God is making me realize that I should delight in the work he has given me. Raising my children is the most important job I can be doing right now.

Another thorn I sometimes struggle with is a relationship. The weight of her burdens often weighs me down, and I feel guilt and sadness over her thorns…health relationships, etc. I have been really lifting her up in prayer, more so than usual and I feel I am really trying to give it to God.

This week, the section on contentment really struck me. “A condition from without can teach us a corresponding attitude from within.” (p54) Yes! Contentment is a secret to be learned, I can’t just expect to be content. And the benefits of humility…loved all the verses on humility and am always amazed at how verses can be so similar and share the same message throughout the Bible.

I really needed these verses right now. I am so thankful that God is all sufficient. I loved all of the scriputres on page 55. I struggle with humility… or should I say that sometimes I think so low of myself that it becomes pride, if that makes sense. ElShaddai… the all sufficient God. He is enough. Thank You, Lord!

• Janet says:

My thorn is a relationship that I wouldn’t change for anything….but I still know I didn’t do it “right”

2.What kind of weakness has the thorn produced in your life? (page 49 )
    That judgement is passed on to me by many people and some right in my church.

3.What keeps you from receiving contentment? (page 54 )
    That though I have asked for forgiveness, I don’t feel I deserve it.

1.What is your thorn? If it is a person, please don’t use names, just say “a relationship.” ( page 37 ) Health issues and insecurities.
    2.What kind of weakness has the thorn produced in your life? (page 49 ) Physical limitations, although I think I prevent myself from being more active out of fear.
    3.What keeps you from receiving contentment? (page 54 ) Fear
    4.Share a favorite moment from this week’s study. God’s grace will give me endurance and encouragement to strengthen me in my suffering. I’m going to work towards not being such a whiner.

• Shawn says:

From this week’s study, the weaknesses that the thorn that has brought in my life is discouragement, anger, bitterness, and resentment. Those are some of the things that I once felt in dealing with the thorn. However, I have learned that if I turn it over to God then I can overcome any and everything, but there are those days when my mind wants to reflect on those things and the anger and resentment and discouragement comes and wants to take over. That is why it is so important to communicate with God on a daily basis throughout the day and stay equipped with the tools necessary to win the battle. On those days that I do not do that, everything just seems to be out of order and out of place. The mind is a battlefield and it can destroy your life if you let it. My motto throughout it all is Let Go and Let God! I have to keep reminding myself that I need to take my hands off of it and turn it over to God. It is hard sometimes because I want it right then but I know when I wait on the Lord, the blessing will be so wonderful and peaceful and you know it was on time and at the right time. 🙂

• Victoria says:

1) What is your thorn? If it is a person, please don’t use names, just say “a relationship.” ( page 37 )
    I am thinking of strongholds-like pride & materialistic wants: Finances are my thorn too.

2) What kind of weakness has the thorn produced in your life? (page 49 )
    Worry & Stress

3) What keeps you from receiving contentment? (page 54 )
    Me trying to fix things my way or make things go right.

Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.
    I really enjoyed the list of scripture on pg 55 for Those Who Have Humility. I plan to type a copy of that out and put it on my family bulletin board in the hall way.
    And as much as I don’t like my thorn of financial issues, knowing that everyone has a thorn, everyone has weaknesses, gives me comfort—we may not all share the same thorn, but we can be there for one another.

• Stephanie says:

My thorn is simply living in community. I’m so overly sensitive to gossip and snippy comments. It makes me want to run home, hide, and never come back out. It’s not worth the risk.

Find courage in God and Look UP. Your view is horizontal as you look to the world for your affirmation, value, joy and love. You’ll never find it there because only God provides these things to His children. Look UP and center your heart, mind and soul on Him.

Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength. Mark 12:30 NIV

• Dona says:

My thorn is also a relationship. I’ve had a relationship with this person for over 7 years now. Its been a constant struggle but our familes are so intertwined that I’ve always just pushed stuff under the rug. It has now all come to a boiling point and I am struggling to keep a christian attitude and not play into the cruel words and verbal attacks that have been sent my way. I actually can say that I love the person who also happens to be my thorn for many reasons, but lately the negative out number the good the majority of the time. I feel convicted for the way I act sometimes when I am around them, and I can’t support actions that they take either so I’ve tried lowering the amount of time spent with them which has caused problems. I pray for peace about the situation (even if the thorn remains) and I pray that if God wants me to remain in this relationship for any reason, that I hear that and am BRAVE enough to be obedient.

• Rebecca says:

My thorn is a relationship. I have run the spectrum of emotions and all the grey area in between. This not only a thorn but a life lesson. God teaches me something new every day.

My favorite moment of this week was the realization that we need to be content in the moment God has provided. (page 53)

• Alyssa says:

I have more than one thorn. One major thorn that pierces me every day is my past and past choices I’ve made. Another thorn are hurtful relationships that are (and have) gone on and my boyfriend’s cancer. There’s been a lot of trauma in my life and it seems to add up to one big thorn that doesn’t ever go away.

What kind of weakness has the thorn produced in your life? (page 49 )
    Guilt, anger, bitterness, resentment, sadness, loss of hope and feelings of worthlessness. Inability to discern God’s Word sometimes because I’m so caught up in how these thorns make me feel.

What keeps you from receiving contentment? (page 54 )
    Honestly, I think I stop myself from receiving contentment because sometimes I don’t think I deserve it and other times I’m so worn out and depressed that I don’t feel God near me. I need to seek Him more and trust in Him because he IS with me and he’s never left. I would also say that Satan tries to keep me from receiving contentment with continuous jabs from these thorns but it’s all about focusing on God now because in HIs time, He will take care of them, <3

Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.

Favorite moment was when I realized what the study meant by "humility." I went to church on Sunday after I read that day's study and asked God to grace me with humility and he did–the very next day but in a way I didn't expect and I didn't see it or recognize it at first. It came in a form of allowing a close relationship to change and the lesson I learned from it. God sure has mysterious ways of answering our prayers. 🙂 I was hurt by what happened between this friend and I but now I'm not. I feel more humble and more at peace. With God and myself. God is amazing. Truly 🙂

Thank you for being a Witness to His presence in your life Alyssa. I wore my past as a “hidden sackcloth” and carried it with me wherever I went. I never realized the weight of it was slowing me down and keeping me at a distance from Jesus. When I removed it- I accepted His supernatural Grace and put on my crown of beauty as a child of God. Satan uses hidden sin and shame to veil our faces. Praying you stay with us in study at the Bible Cafe as we have some studies coming up that deal directly with this issue. Praying the Holy Spirit will convict you of your worth in God’s eyes- you are valuable in the Kingdom.

Put a veil over their hearts, and may your curse be on them! Lamentations 3:65 NIV

I will tear off your veils and save my people from your hands, and they will no longer fall prey to your power. Then you will know that I am the LORD. Ezekiel 13:21 NIV

But whenever anyone turns to the Lord, the veil is taken away. 2 Cor 3:16 NIV

And we all, who with unveiled faces contemplate the Lord’s glory, are being transformed into his image with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit. 2 Cor 3:18 NIV

Those who look to him are radiant; their faces are never covered with shame. Psalm 34:5 NIV

The LORD will rescue his servants; no one who takes refuge in him will be condemned. Psalm 34:22 NIV

• Chelli says:

What is your thorn? My first mind was to say a relationship, but if I dig deeper and really be honest with myself, my thorn is actually insecurity (to include low self-worth)

What kind of weakness has the thorn produced in your life? The relationships I consistently find myself in are a result of my thorn. Knowing that I deserve better and that God only wants the best for me, yet constantly settling for much less than I deserve. As a result of yet another failed relationship, endured entirely too long because of my thorn, I am now grieving something that probably never should have been and that only served to reinforce my insecurities.

What keeps you from receiving contentment? I honestly don’t know…myself maybe?

1. What is your thorn? Relationship.

2. What kind of weakness has this thorn produced in your life? insecurity and a lot of loneliness.

3. What keeps you from receiving contentment? I feel like, I am not where I need to be at this season of my life……I feel so far away from God…..like He is on another planet and I am looking for Him where ever I go….and I can not find Him. I know this has to do with my thorn in my side, and God is using my thorn to teach me more humility. Plus learn to lean on Him more……I have a control issue of Letting Go and Let God. So, I will try and find Him again and start leaning on the LORD and not me so much.

Blessings to all.

God is inside you. When we clutter our hearts and minds it is difficult to ‘see” Him. Unclutter Sue and as you start to clear out the junk you’ll find more and more of Him inside you. Covering you with prayers- you’re always my friend. I’m glad we met here ar the Bible Cafe 🙂

Christine,

I try and unclutter it…my mind, but there is so much STUFF in there!! I am glad we are friend also. Blessing to you. Thanks for everything. Been a good two years.

• Allison says:

1. What is your thorn? If it is a person, please don’t use names, just say “a relationship.” ( page 37 )

The bondage of my past has caused insecurities that are a stumbling block for me. These feelings of inadequacy have led me to make questionable choices as I have sought acceptance and love in the wrong people at times.

2. What kind of weakness has the thorn produced in your life? (page 49 )

Since I don’t want to disappoint others, I find myself saying yes too often even if the answer is clearly NO! and this has lead to some regretful choices in my life. I don’t appear to have boundaries in my behavior and have made “in the moment” decisions, i.e. I sometimes make impulse purchases, etc.

3. What keeps you from receiving contentment? (page 54 )

It is selfish to use my past as an excuse…I have to accept the consequences for my actions and take responsibility for my choices. I know what is right, so I need to read the Bible, trust and believe that I am forgiven and pray for continued strength to move out of bondage and live as a free daughter of Christ.

4. Share a favorite moment from this week’s study

My favorite quote: Humility is not thinking less of yourself; it’s thinking of yourself less. I hope I can apply this to my life.

• Jody says:

1.What is your thorn? My thorn isn’t a relationship but outside circumstances or influences on my relationship (does that make sense at all?)
    2.What kind of weakness has the thorn produced in your life? Insecurity, I am sensitive and defensive over things when dealing with the thorn, it makes me second guess my relationship
    3.What keeps you from receiving contentment? (page 54 ) I honestley didn’t realize that I could learn from this thorn- I never viewed it as a way of learning contentment and humility until this bible study.
    4.Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.
    Humility- learning about what it is and how much I want it!

• Carol says:

Relationships with some people in church

What kind of weakness has the thorn produced in your life? (page 49 )
    Fearful, guarded, wary, defensive, and afraid of being myself because I am not accepted.

What keeps you from receiving contentment? (page 54 )
    I want to run-away and not deal with the situation. I am realizing that I don’t want humility in my life because I was humiliated a lot as a child growing up. I need to see there is a difference between God’s humility and man’s humility. The humility from God allows pressure but won’t crush us because He has good towards us and unfailing love. I am not sure if that makes any sense.

Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.
    Characteristics of a thorn(s) and how to help us overcome it with His mindset.

I’m glad up brought this up Carol! We can experience painful humility through a relationship where someone puts us down or abuses us. The result is often shame, anger and depression and we feel low and worthless in the relationship with this person. The abuser can even make us feel low and worthless in our own families and in society. This causes us to hide from God, and the abuser convinces us we are “not even good enough for God’s love or attention.” It can cause us to turn away from God as we seek to please the abuser in order to avoid more pain.

The dictionary defines humility as “A modest or low view of one’s own importance; humbleness.” We should be humble before God. Sometimes He allows thorns in our side so we will turn to Him, recognize our low view on earth and ask Him for protection, guidance and a covering of His love from above. One of my favorite verses is John 3:30 as it reminds me to be humble before God: He must become greater; I must become less.

When we are abused, the abuser becomes greater in our lives because of the fear he/she creates. The abuser must become less, and God must become greater in our hearts. The damage of the abuser must become less and GRACE must become greater in our hearts. The shame caused by the abuser must become less and RIGHTEOUSNESS must become greater in our hearts. Be humble in God’s eyes.

• Carol says:

Thank you for your godly wisdom. After I typed my answers to the questions, I started to think about the “Breaking Free” bible study. I remember what Beth Moore said, “That she didn’t want to be a victim but bring glory to God and He can turn it for the good”. I am paraphasing but God gave this to me – “Our victor is in Christ but we are no longer the victim of our circumstances.”

• Robin says:

I know I am a day late, but I was away for the weekend and got in late last night. But, I am making it a point to do the questions anyway. Unlike so much in my life, I am determined to complete this.

I didn’t exactly have a favorite moment with this week’s readings, it was more like a slow “AHA” moment. Most of the answers to the questions at the beginning of the week were just me putting out what I understood about what I had just read. This week was a very difficult week for me. At first I wasn’t sure what a ‘thorn’ exactly was. But as the week went by and I read a little each day, and I tried to answer the questions as honestly as I could, I started to understand and could see that I actually do have one. And that understanding made for a BIG realization. I am not ready to say what it is. It really felt like a kick in the gut, but not a bad one. I know I have a long way to go to fully understand it, as I’ve said, this is my first Bible study, and first anything religious after a LONG time with my back turned to God. But now that he is back in my life, I find that I am happier than I have been in a long time. And now that I understand that This is my thorn to bear and that God will be with me whether I can work it out or not, and that He loves me whether it’s there or now, I feel a lot better and I honestly feel that this thorn has been there to push me back towards God.

Wow Robin- God is speaking right into your heart with this study! I had a similar experience during my first bible study and I felt God’s love so powerfully through bible study that I craved more of Him in my life. Each of us connects with God in a different way- some will find Him at church, some find Him by ministering to others, some find Him in music…etc. I found Him inside my bible and inside my bible studies- and He was waiting for me there. You don’t need to share your “big realization” with others- it’s between you and Jesus. Allow Him to be your confidant, your friend, your rock and your healer. If He wants you to share your realization with another person, He’ll convict you of this and place someone in your path for this purpose. Stay in the Word, pray constantly and see where God leads you. May His will be done in your life and in your heart- Amen.

• Alyssa says:

I pray that God blesses you in your realizations. I feel the same way–I found many thorns I didn’t realize I had until I did this study and it’s amazing to me how God just spoke right to me. I cried during this week because it was also very difficult but I feel a sense of renewed faith. God is with us–and with you–and He is the light, and the way. He will lead you to where you are supposed to go. <3

• Rhonda says:

I have two thorns I deal with daily. The first is my son’s severe autism. The second is my first marriage. I can’t separate the two as they are so intertwined. I was a single parent for several years and every decision, every “opportunity” I faced on a daily basis dealt with one or the other of these thorns. I have come to know that these thorns have helped shape me into the person I am today. That is not to say I still don’t have to deal with a prick from time to time but I have learned to accept them as a kind of prod to stay on the path God designed for me because the pain from these thorns is always more painful if I veer from this path. It has taken my several years to recognize thateveryone has a thorn to deal with and how you deal with it defines your relationship with God. After praying for years for good to remove these thorns, He showed me that I leaned on Him and trusted Him more because of the thorns, and that it was His will for me to learn to live a content life while lving with these issues. He supports me daily as I live my life with these thorns and helps me to keep them at a minimal level of pain!

• Lisa says:

The weakness my thorn has caused is insecurity and a lack of confidence. My favorite moment was the reassurance of God’s Sufficient Grace! It was not the only time I heard that this week… Day 5 then again this Sunday’s Sermon! 🙂 …… Guess it sometimes takes a couple times to get things through to me… 🙂

It sounds like conviction to me 🙂 🙂 🙂 When I pray and I am uncertain about a direction to take, I pray for God to convict me. I specifically pray for three signs of conviction to show me this is His will or not His will for me. Below is an example of a recent experience I had with this:

I was having several dreams about returning to work in real estate. In these dreams I kept seeing Jesus beside me. Though it was not my desire to return to work, I prayed for God to convict me if this was His will for me. I specifically asked God to “give me three signs that He wanted me to return to real estate.” About two weeks later, three real estate yard signs appeared in my neighborhood! One was directly across the street from my house. It was the first time in 5 years I’ve seen homes for sale in my neighborhood. All three homes sold in less than 30 days, showing me the market was moving again. My daughter’s best friend moved into one of the homes and she finally has a girl her age in the neighborhood. The “signs” were clear to me and I went back to work. I was convicted by “three signs.” God does have a sense of humor in this 🙂 I was not expecting three real estate signs in my neighborhood when I prayed for conviction, I was expecting something different- like a news article, a contact from a former coworker, or something else. God spoke loud and clear into my heart: GO BACK TO WORK. Since I’ve been back, I’ve met someone at work who keeps asking me “you’re religious right? Can I ask you a question?” And I’ve met some women who are interested in bible studies- so my ministry is moving outside the walls of my home- God is placing me in personal encounters via my work. I was convicted- I heard- and I obeyed. May God use me where He places me-amen.

• Jean says:

After thinking about humility – I am not sure if Angela was trying to say humility comes ONLY through the thorns in our lives– but I believe the scripture teaches that we can humble ourselves – 1 Peter 5:6 says: “Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you in due time”. Humility can be a decision that we make, not just based on a thorn experience.

Yes, humility can be a personal choice we make OR a result of a thorn. For example, there are people in churches who sell everything they own, give up luxury lives and live the humble life of a missionary.

• Jean says:

Humility does not have to mean “having nothing”. It is a heart attitude. What a great testimony it is when someone is healthy, successful, prosperous, whole and STILL has a humble spirit.

• Wendy says:

I struggled with this week’s lesson – I’m not sure if I’m just not ready to confront it or so out of touch with myself… that I can’t even figure out what my thorn is!

You may not have a thorn Wendy-instead you might want to reflect on someone you know who has a thorn. Or look back at a past relationship and see if that may have been a past thorn for you.

• Rebecca says:

Wendy, you are not alone. I was ready this weeks lesson and felt the same way…”What is my thorn?” I prayed and asked a mentor for advice and realized I do have one. But I really struggled with it as well. You are not alone my friend. -Rebecca

• Jean says:

I have many thorns! Mostly the “relationship” thorns are the ones that hurt the most. What I feel most from these thorns is loss of connection/closeness to people that I long for. It makes me feel alone, alienated, “not good enough”, unloved, unappreciated, unwanted…. etc., etc. What keeps me from receiving contentment is thinking I “should” be doing “something” to fix it or something is expected of me that I am not aware of… and I am letting God or someone else down. It’s very hard for me to accept that there is nothing I can do to change things…

I grieved my relationship thorns and “what could be.” Then I was convicted that God is my one and only relationship- filling the role of Father, Husband and Friend. When I looked at Him from this perspective, I saw how I was depending on prickly people rather than a loving Father. I’m adjusting my view to the One who meets all my needs 🙂

• Yvette says:

1. my thorn was a relationship of the past.

2. The weakness that thorn caused was emotional pain, low self-esteem. I find myself still struggling with those issues from time to time.

3. what keeps me from receiving contentment is when I stay in the flesh. when I stay on the carnal things. When you meditate on God’s word, you will go from sad to glad in five minutes. hard not to be content after in the presence of God.

4. My favorite moment was day 4 on humility. Proverbs 22:4 has been embedded in my heart now. the way to riches, honor, and life is humility. Being humbled before God is intimacy. It blessed my spirit.

Beth Moore had us humble ourselves during a recent bible study. Each morning before we started reading, we had to get on the floor face to the ground, flat out. Then we humbled ourselves physically and through prayer. It was an interesting experience and one I recommend. For those with health issues, Beth recommended putting your head down on the table before you. Start your day humble.

• Frances says:

My thorn is a lifelong disability that I have had since age 1. I liked the part in the book where Angela talks about what has come from your thorn that might not have, my answer to that was meeting people. Doctors, nurses, therapists, etc. I hope the Lord’s light shines through me, but I often don’t feel that way. One of my doctors have asked me how do I keep smiling even though the latest operation left me not allowed to walk for 2 months – that is the Lord and not me. The weaknesses I have from my thorn are not physical, I deal with that pretty well, but it is other things. Wanting to buy more when I shouldn’t, not eating healthier, and giving in to other things. I sometimes feel I am trying to be like “everyone else” when I do these things, even though I know the Lord wants me to be different for Him, and shine His light. My limitations and pain are always with me, but it can be the little things that feel like the thorn.

• Julie says:

My thorn is a relationship that has created a fear in my life of being alone, of loss, sadness, unworthiness and unforgiveness. I have hid my thorn, avoiding what needed to be acknowledged and had gone numb to the thorn in my life. I need to trust in God, to acknowledge him, to lean on him and pray for strength.

I am still trying to fully identify my thorn and come to contentment that it is here to shape my humility. I believe this is such a growth area for me to be humble in the Lord. I am going to focus on the Benefits of Humility (p.55) Angela identified and the cooresponding bible verses in my quiet time with the Lord this week. I loved the statement “Humility is not thinking less of yourself; it’s thinking of yourself less.”

• Georgia says:

My thorn is my health– I have multiple chronic health issues including migraines, fibromyalgia, thyroid disease, heart valve problems, and mild kidney disease. My biggest weakness is that I still feel so much anger about my illnesses and the unfairness of it all. My favorite moment was the realization that all of this is from Satan but God can use all of it for good. I can’t hear that often enough because it is so easy to forget. I also had a great week–I went into it with a fibro flare and came out of it feeling the healing spirit of God and his power as I hiking through Yosemite. I knew I did it on his power not mine because I don’t have that kind of power. It was wonderful.

Georgia

• Keelia Taylor says:

That’s an awesome testimony that reminds us of the power we possess thru our God. Thanks for sharing.

• Donna says:

My thorn is a relationship. I have had every emotion you can think of when dealing with this person, they have truly been a stumbling block. Now they are ill and need caring for and I struggle with my responsibility to meet their needs. But….God is sufficient.