No Other Gods Bible Study Week 6

We’ve just finished week six of No Other Gods by Kelly Minter, and we’re almost done with our study. In a few days we’ll announce our Summer Bible Study. We really had a chance to examine our idols in relation to God, as Kelly took us deeper into our study this week. Kelly Minter writes “We spend too much time trying to rid ourselves of rebellion, lust, jealousy, materialism, drug addictions, and whatever idols rule our lives, while spending this minuscule amount of time on knowing the One True God.” This is a powerful statement in comparison to our small idol gods- and helps us focus our heart-vision where it belongs. When we keep our hearts and minds on the I AM, nothing else matters. The friend who offends you on Facebook, the number of followers you have on Twitter, the television show you cannot miss, or the need for more books, clothes and shopping- all dissolve into a pile of plastic dust in comparison to the One God who provides. We can’t serve God and our idols,we have to choose- the same way Abraham chose his only son. We think our false gods will deliver what we crave- affirmation, love, acceptance, attention, knowledge and more- yet only God can deliver what our hearts and minds crave.

At the end of the world, which god do you want to stand before? The God who delivers, or the false gods who tempt and tease. When faced with a life threatening illness or a challenge in your relationships, which god do you cling to? The God who loves and comforts you, or the false gods who cause you to fear and turn in wrong directions. Like Kelly Minter says in our bible study “At the end of the day, it’s between I AM and everything else. We can’t serve both.” Serve the God who sent His one and only Son to die for your sins, so you could claim your inheritance as His daughter and the promise of eternity. Serve the I AM.

Our Prayer Wall has many requests, so please print the page, place a copy in your workbook and pray for these women who are asking for your help. The best way to print the page is to copy and past the prayers into a Word document. If you have a prayer request for our prayer wall, please click here.

Kelly Minter Quotes

• Many who consider themselves Christian barely open the Word.
  • We wouldn’t run after false gods if we didn’t think on some level they would deliver.
  • Our soul delights in God when we come, listen, turn from our idols and call out to Him.
  • Any idol in our lives becomes our master.
  • We can’t expect to turn from our idols if we have nothing to turn to.
  • When we see God for who He is, the strength of our idols lose their pull.
  • Worship Him for being the God who saves, unlike our idols who burden us.

1. How is your soul hungry and thirsty? Do you believe God when He says He can satisfy you?
  2. Are you currently going through a time when you really have no idea how things will turn out, but are moving ahead in faith, believing God will show Himself as the God who provides? (page 133)
  3. What do you think “friendship with the world” means? (page 135 )
  4. How have your functional gods been a burden to you? (page 138 )
  5. Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.

• Lisa H says:

Even though I do believe God will satisfy every need, I still “question” this at times. My soul is hungry to do everything God wills for me – all the time. A huge goal and probably unrealistic considering that would mean I was close to perfect – which there is no way this side of heaven I will ever be.

Yes. I am currently unemployed. And even though I am “degreed and certified” I have been unable to find a position. This has got me looking in other directions and praying for revelation and insight as to what He wants me to do. I truly have no idea how it will all work out. Strangely enough (strange only because I am quite the worrier) I don’t feel worried about it.

3. What do you think “friendship with the world” means? (page 135 )
    Those who have accepted Christ but are living in the world. Making a choice to not be in the will of God, but rather the “stuff” of the world. Maybe feeing no remorse, thus no need to repent and come back to God.

4. How have your functional gods been a burden to you? (page 138 )
    Food: my desire to fill the void – any void – with food is embarrassing when I think of it this way, like an idol. Like why didn’t I see it being an idol?
    Food = gained weight = feeling tired, fatigued, out of shape, fearful, full of vanity for being “big”, lack of confidence, lack of desire to take care of myself, the physical pain associated with the extra weight, the emotional breakdowns that lead to more eating … it is a vicious circle 🙁
    (I must give praise to God here though – in the last year I have lost 40lbs. I did use some drugs prescribed by my doctor (the weight was getting way out of control) but only for a couple months at the beginning. But that helped me to have a desire to do the rest myself. I am not supposed to exercise – doctors orders – too much arthritis and a cracked spine – the risk outweigh the benefit. That is why I know it has been God helping me. I will go ahead and say this because it may help to see it in writing: I am 4 feet 11 inches tall. Kinda short. The max weight I got to was 226. According to “society” I should weigh no more than 120. Today I weigh 185. I am finding myself fluxing between 184 and 189. I sooo want to break the 180’s and stay below it. I wish I had a pool. That is the only place the doctor told me I could so some light exercises (with no job I can’t afford the “Y”). I am pressing on. I know God is with me cause with all the stress of no job and mama’s sickness “normally” I would have gained all the weight back by now. All praises to God my Father, creator of all!)

• Brystan says:

1. There have been many ways my soul has been hungry and thirsty, this is mostly brought on because of the immense stress I have been having lately, and unfortunately I am not always letting God feed my soul during these times.

2. Yes. I have been hunting for a job since January, and I have run out of money, and have been extremely worried about how to make ends meet currently. I should KNOW that God does provide..but its difficult for me currently to see that in fruition.

5. My favourite part of this week was physically bowing before God. I have never done this before, and it felt refreshing and powerful.

• Lynmara says:

I’ve always believed in God,but this week as I took a very important test, my trust was shaky. I could not sleep or focus. Why was this so stressful? As I drove to the testing place I listened to some encouraging songs that reminded me of my relationship with God. Getting rid of my idols has not been easy, but I know it is worth it.

• Jennifer D says:

5. Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.
    I love how you are encouraged to realize that no things are relevant without him. Our life is precious to him. Idols need to be cast out, and not encourage coming in to our lives.
    Exodus 3:14(NKJV)
    14 And God said to Moses, “I AM WHO I AM.” And He said, “Thus you shall say to the children of Israel, ‘I AM has sent me to you.’”

1. How is your soul hungry and thirsty? Do you believe God when He says He can satisty you? I feel as if I have lost all assurance that God can satisty me after all I have bben through in the past six months….losing our house, my husbands health getting worse, and me being in a dark place for so long. My faith has wavered and I feel as if I do not know how to find it again. I know God can satisty me and meet my needs, but I just have to get back on the right track with Him.

Blessing to all of you. And being patiene wtih me on this study as I have not been bloging as much as I normaly do. {{{HUGS}}} to all.

• Allison says:

I find myself hungry and thirsty for all of the things Kelly mentioned on page 127: “We yearn for attention but don’t get it the way we want, so we soothe our ache by losing ourselves in television. We get angry, … We long for intimacy, … We are lonely, … We feel worthless, … The list is endless, and yet none of it satiates.

Obviously, others in this study are going through actual life-altering events such as illness, relationship crisis, death, joblessness, financial needs, etc. so I feel small mentioning my very selfish concerns about our recent move to Arizona and the impending empty nest I keep referring to… God has richly blessed us, and I shouldn’t whine and should know He has a plan for me here. I pray for those struggling with real life issues.

3. What do you think “friendship with the world” means? (page 135 )

“The myriad lures competing for our time and attention.” that Kelly refers to on page 134 … our idols – our functional gods.

4. How have your functional gods been a burden to you? (page 138 )

* Childhood – question: why would God allow? burden: feeling unworthy of God’s protection and love
    * Teens – question: why will no one help me? burden: feeling God had other issues that required his attention
    * Twenties – question: when will my life of shame end? burden: feeling unforgiveness for my sinful ways
    * Thirties & Forties- question: why am I causing self-imposed pain because of my choices? burden – seeking attention, intimacy, affection in unhealthy friendships and relationships
    * Fifties – Strongholds revealed – burden – realizing the gods I have turned to for much of my life will not satiate my hunger or quench my thirst. Can I forgive myself? Revelation – God has been with me through all my struggles.

5. Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.

Psalm 139.
    1. Oh Lord, you have examined my heart and know everything about me.
    2 You know when I sit down or stand up. You know my thoughts even when I’m far away.
    3 You see me when I travel and when I rest at home. You know everything I do.
    4 You know what I am going to say even before I say it, Lord.
    5 You go before me and follow me. You place your hand of blessing on my head.
    6 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me, too great for me to understand!
    7 I can never escape from your Spirit! I can never get away from your presence!
    8 If I go up to heaven, you are there; if I go down to the grave, you are there.
    9 If I ride the wings of the morning, if I dwell by the farthest oceans,
    10 even there your hand will guide me, and your strength will support me.
    11 I could ask the darkness to hide me and the light around me to become night—
    12 but even in darkness I cannot hide from you. To you the night shines as bright as day. Darkness and light are the same to you.
    13 You made all the delicate, inner parts of my body and knit me together in my mother’s womb.
    14 Thank you for making me so wonderfully complex! Your workmanship is marvelous—how well I know it.
    15 You watched me as I was being formed in utter seclusion, as I was woven together in the dark of the womb.
    16 You saw me before I was born. Every day of my life was recorded in your book. Every moment was laid out before a single day had passed.
    17 How precious are your thoughts about me, O God. They cannot be numbered!
    18 I can’t even count them; they outnumber the grains of sand! And when I wake up, you are still with me!

I know we are not supposed to always understand the “whys” in our life, but I find it confusing sometimes that the life I have lived was all planned out for me while I was not yet born…Praying for faith and peace.

• Laura says:

1.How is your soul hungry and thirsty? Do you believe God when He says He can satisfy you? My soul is so hungry and thirsty to go so much deeper in my relationship with and trust in the Lord. I really have come to a place where my deepest desire is Him-praise God!! My struggle is that I also hunger and thirst for that same love and unconditional acceptance/affirmation from my husband. He is not God and will never be able to meet all my needs.
    2.Are you currently going through a time when you really have no idea how things will turn out, but are moving ahead in faith, believing God will show Himself as the God who provides? (page 133) I am standing in prayer and faith that the Rhema Words of promise He has given me will come to pass – Dear Lord, please grant me to patience and strength to stand strong in the desert while I wait.
    3.What do you think “friendship with the world” means? (page 135 )Embracing the ways of the world over God’s way, and loving the world more than God. It is committing spiritual adultery.
    4.How have your functional gods been a burden to you? (page 138 )My desire for an equally yolked marriage (a good thing that has become an idol)leaves me the burden of unfulfilled ddesires, takes me into captivity of discouragement and disappointment I am led into captivity, sin and shame by my hearts yearning for love and acceptance with a shared love for the Lord.
    5.Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.
    “But you look for life from lesser things than Me all the time, eveyr day.” Oh conviction! Lord, help me to keep my eyes fixed on You and You alone!

• Sandy says:

Hi Ladies,

I have not been as involved online as I would have liked to be but have kept up with my studies. I have really enjoyed the “unveiling” of my idols. I have struggled with where “serving God on a daily basis meets enjoying your life without it becoming an idol”. I believe that Kelly explains this pretty well. I look forward to my bible study every morning and hope to join the next one as well. Maybe with summer slowing down, I will be able to participate a little more online. Thanks again to Kelly and Christine for keeping us connected to the “GREAT I AM”.

• Christina C. says:

2. I am definitely going through a time where I have to keep putting my trust in God. We are in transition. Seems like it’s been this way for awhile and we don’t really know where we’ll end up. We know that we have a heart to go to the nations but also know it won’t be easy with 2 little ones. I know God has great things in store but just don’t know where we will end up and when this will happen.
    4. My functional gods cause worry and stress, not to mention taking away precious time I could be spending with the one true God!

I just want to say that I have really enjoyed this bible study so far. It’s great to be able to do it from home at this stage in my life. It has really been an encouragement for me to really get into God’s word more on my own. Thanks to all who help make this site possible. You are appreciated! 🙂

• Rhoda says:

1. Yes, I believe God when He says He can satisfy me. I look to Him as my source of satisfaction. As Kelly puts it “coming to Him, hearing from Him, putting other things aside that get in the way, and speaking back to Him”…

2. Currently I am believing God for our future as my husband approaches retirement age. Our future with our health, our family, our property, our business is all in God’s hands and leading. I have a dim idea as to what is in store but am looking forward to His plan because I do know He has a plan for us. With this Bible Study I have been encouraged to continue putting Him first daily.

3.To me “friendship with the world” living according to the world system that does not include God and His Word in it.

5. A favorite moment this week was being in the labor and delivery room with our daughter in law having our son’s first baby. He had classical and worship music playing softly in the background. One of the melodies playing was “Turn your eyes upon Jesus” which I wrote in the margin of Day 05 Bowing Down. When our daughter in law had dilated to #8 the nurse said “Grandmas it’s time to say your prayers I know you are praying.” I stood up and walked up to daughter in law side and asked if I could say a prayer with her and she quickly responded yes. Very simply we prayed that we had been trusting in the Lord and asked that He give her the strength to deliver her son. At this point the Dr said she may have to have ceasarean. Well after prayer I observed the entire tone changed for all participating and Jesus showed up to help her deliver a strong and beautiful baby boy!

3. What do you think “friendship with the world” means? (page 135)
    I think friendship with the world means loving the things and ways of the world; setting our hearts on and pursuing worldly things while putting God second or completely ignoring him; and being conformed to the world.

4. How have your functional gods been a burden to you? (page 138)
    My functional gods have been a burden to me by causing me a lot of stress and worry and by keeping me frustrated at never being able to find long-term satisfaction.

5. Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.
    As silly as this may sound I was beyond excited by Kelly’s “definition” of relationship on page 130 (second paragraph). Close, personal relationships are now and have always been hard for me. I am by nature a loner and happily so. I am always asking God to help me to have a more intimate relationship with him, without ever having any kind of concrete idea of what that really means. Receiving this explanation was profound for me and I have no doubt will change my relationship with God.

1.How is your soul hungry and thirsty? Do you believe God when He says He can satisfy you? My soul is thirsty for love, acceptance, and a feeling of appreciation. I am hungry to be full… and I recognize that the emptiness I have been trying to fill with stuff is a God-shaped void. I believe God can satisfy me. I just have to get my eyes on Him.
    2.Are you currently going through a time when you really have no idea how things will turn out, but are moving ahead in faith, believing God will show Himself as the God who provides? (page 133)At the time I answered this question, I put no. Then today, my husband came in and told me that he is looking at budget cuts in his job and we may be facing some difficult times. But I have faith. I believe. God took care of us when we were first married and he was supporting me through college on little more than minimum wage, and He is the same God now. I am so thankful for all that God has given me.
    3.What do you think “friendship with the world” means? (page 135 )Friendship with the world means loving what the world has to offer. Wanting to partake in the “fun and games” of the world.
    4.How have your functional gods been a burden to you? (page 138 ) High expectations that can never be fulfilled, causing disappointments. Becoming overwhelmed as I try to fill this emptiness.
    5.Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.
    I LOVED Isaiah 46:4, and looking back at all the times God has provided. He has been my shield all my life. So many times I should have been killed (car accidents, etc), my husband was saved from a threatening car accident, we are soooo, soooo blessed. He is my Jehovah-Jireh. He is my provider. No matter what, He is carrying me when I feel like I can’t go on and will continue to do so. Thank You, Lord!!!

• Michelle says:

1.) How is your soul hungry and thirsty? Do you believe God when He says He can satisfy you?

For peace and health. Yes, he is able to satisfy, but when? That is the question–the reason I need patience…

2.) Are you currently going through a time when you really have no idea how things will turn out, but are moving ahead in faith, believing God will show Himself as the God who provides? (page 133)

YES! We just finished a bankruptcy, we’re losing our home to foreclosure in a few months, and I’m still battling the illness that precipitated all of this. I have no idea if/when I will get better or where we will live when our foreclosure is completed. Yet, I am confident that God will provide. I am at peace about it.

3.) What do you think “friendship with the world” means? (page 135 )

Turning to things that are not Godly in order to find comfort, rather than turning to God for that comfort.

4.) How have your functional gods been a burden to you? (page 138 )

Yes. Control requires a TON of energy. Resting in God’s peace and letting him handle things is so much better!

• Elle says:

Yes, my soul is hungry and thirsty, hungry and thirsty to find my identity in Chirst. I know the Lord can satisfy me, I just have to be patient for his time. Not make a mess of everything on my own.

4. How have your functional Gods been burden to you? (138)

I was thinking about my functional gods alot this week, and how much time I have spent in front of, looking for, cleaning, and talking about these things that are not satisfying. Hours of my day go toward maintaining my functional gods. Not any more, I’m getting rid of all that junk!

I have been longing for the assurance of God’s presence and trust that He is in control. Sometimes, I just want Him to speak LOUDER than doubt & fear!

I am in that place – -over the past 18 months . . .Week 5 really opened my eyes to a problem that was really hindering me . . .and now, I feel like a burden has been lifted . . .and I am trying to move forward with confidence, not fear. God Has been with me in this battle — sending a scripture, or a study, or a note from a friend, or encouragement through others . . always when I need it. And I have been blessed . .and I still really need those encouragements . .because I still hurt deeply – -broken hearts take awhile to heal . .

What do you think “friendship with the world” means? (page 135 )
    to me it means compromising on the Word of God to be “acceptable” to the non-believer. It also means becoming complacent with what is going on around me.

How have your functional gods been a burden to you? (page 138 )

Yes, yes, yes! a very heavy burden – -one that nags and makes me feel insecure and unhappy, guilty when I do something for me . . .overall, binding me from being who God made me.

Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.
    The I AM’s. Love that reminder that HE IS.

I was just thinking yesterday about the summer studies — can’t wait to see where God will lead us next!