We’ve just finished week six of No Other Gods by Kelly Minter, and we’re almost done with our study. In a few days we’ll announce our Summer Bible Study. We really had a chance to examine our idols in relation to God, as Kelly took us deeper into our study this week. Kelly Minter writes “We spend too much time trying to rid ourselves of rebellion, lust, jealousy, materialism, drug addictions, and whatever idols rule our lives, while spending this minuscule amount of time on knowing the One True God.” This is a powerful statement in comparison to our small idol gods- and helps us focus our heart-vision where it belongs. When we keep our hearts and minds on the I AM, nothing else matters. The friend who offends you on Facebook, the number of followers you have on Twitter, the television show you cannot miss, or the need for more books, clothes and shopping- all dissolve into a pile of plastic dust in comparison to the One God who provides. We can’t serve God and our idols,we have to choose- the same way Abraham chose his only son. We think our false gods will deliver what we crave- affirmation, love, acceptance, attention, knowledge and more- yet only God can deliver what our hearts and minds crave.
At the end of the world, which god do you want to stand before? The God who delivers, or the false gods who tempt and tease. When faced with a life threatening illness or a challenge in your relationships, which god do you cling to? The God who loves and comforts you, or the false gods who cause you to fear and turn in wrong directions. Like Kelly Minter says in our bible study “At the end of the day, it’s between I AM and everything else. We can’t serve both.” Serve the God who sent His one and only Son to die for your sins, so you could claim your inheritance as His daughter and the promise of eternity. Serve the I AM.
Our Prayer Wall has many requests, so please print the page, place a copy in your workbook and pray for these women who are asking for your help. The best way to print the page is to copy and past the prayers into a Word document. If you have a prayer request for our prayer wall, please click here.
Kelly Minter Quotes
- Many who consider themselves Christian barely open the Word.
- We wouldn’t run after false gods if we didn’t think on some level they would deliver.
- Our soul delights in God when we come, listen, turn from our idols and call out to Him.
- Any idol in our lives becomes our master.
- We can’t expect to turn from our idols if we have nothing to turn to.
- When we see God for who He is, the strength of our idols lose their pull.
- Worship Him for being the God who saves, unlike our idols who burden us.
For Next Week
- Read Week Seven in the workbook
- Join our Womens Bible Cafe Chat on Facebook
Group Discussion- Answer one question or as many as you like
- How is your soul hungry and thirsty? Do you believe God when He says He can satisfy you?
- Are you currently going through a time when you really have no idea how things will turn out, but are moving ahead in faith, believing God will show Himself as the God who provides? (page 133)
- What do you think “friendship with the world” means? (page 135 )
- How have your functional gods been a burden to you? (page 138 )
- Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.