Welcome back to our fourth week of womens bible study with No Other Gods by Kelly Minter. We spent this week looking at the problems with idols. Idols make us double-minded, and Kelly reminds us “The desired end is to make room for one and only God. When our hearts are overly attached or dependent on lesser things, we crowd God out of our lives.” Essentially, we crowd-out God and replace Him with worthless idols. When we walk with Jesus, shoulder-to-shoulder, those idols are behind us and do not attach themselves to us. When we pull away from Jesus and allow a gap between our hearts, idols filter in. Close the gap!
In the story of Rachel and Leah, we saw how our idols lead to desperation. I wonder if we too become desperate as we seek attention or affirmation. We seek more friends, more followers, and more online communication to validate us as worthy. Instead, we should be looking to Jesus for our value and worth. We don’t need our hearts checking emails, direct messages, retweets and Facebook walls; we need our hearts centered on prayer and the Word of God. Yet the temptation for instant gratification has existed since the day Eve took her first bite. Unsatisfied with just a single bite, we come back for more gratification from our idols. An unsatisfied woman is a dangerous woman, if she does not keep her eyes and heart on God. God is the only source of our satisfaction.
We learned how idols control us, leaving us unsatisfied, double-minded, attached and dependent on people or things. On the last day of our study, Kelly Minter started a discussion of solutions, and I was heartbroken to see it was a single page of study! I thought it was a typo or publishing error…so I peeked into the next chapter and saw we’ll be saying goodbye to our idols soon.
Here is some worship music to begin the week: Lose My Soul by Toby Mac
Our Prayer Wall has many requests, so please print the page, place a copy in your workbook and pray for these women who are asking for your help. The best way to print the page is to copy and past the prayers into a Word document. If you have a prayer request for our prayer wall, please click here.
Kelly Minter Quotes
- It is impossible to serve God and gods.
- All believers are married to Christ, so when we look to idols we are being unfaithful to Him.
- God has created each of us uniquely and specifically.
For Next Week
- Read Week Five in the workbook
- Join our Womens Bible Cafe Chat on Facebook
Group Discussion- Answer one question or as many as you like
- How do you feel about James’ use of the word adulteress to describe friends of the world? (page 83 )
- Can you think of something you don’t have, but are convinced if you had it, it would make you happy? (page 89 )
- Which shoes have you worn- Leah’s or Rachel’s- and were you happy or unhappy when you wore them? (page 91 )
- Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.