No Other Gods Bible Study Week 2

Welcome back to our online bible study as we discuss Session Two from No Other Gods by Kelly Minter. This week we read about why we choose idols, why they appeal to us and why we’re unable to resist them. Each day we looked at the motivations for our false gods, as Kelly walked us through scripture. We saw how the Israelites depended on themselves rather than God, as they used His gifts and created their own gods. I wonder if we are still doing this today, two-thousand years later. Our God is a patient and forgiving God, as He leads us to find our identity in Christ. I thought it was fascinating the Israelites used their earrings to create a new god, while at the same time the were complaining they could not hear God. As a jewelry designer, there was just too much symbolism in this for me. They wore God’s gifts on their ears but not in their hearts. Carefully read these two verses:

• Aaron answered them, “Take off the gold earrings that your wives, your sons and your daughters are wearing, and bring them to me.”  So all the people took off their earrings and brought them to Aaron. He took what they handed him and made it into an idol cast in the shape of a calf, fashioning it with a tool. Then they said, “These are your gods, Israel, who brought you up out of Egypt.” Exodus 32:2-4 NIV
  • Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one. Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength.  These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts.  Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.  Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads.  Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates. Deuteronomy 6:4-9 NIV

Kelly reached into our hearts when she asked us to identify sinful desires which obscure our identity in Christ. For me, it was a powerful bible study moment and an opportunity to pray. She then challenged us to examine our needs and our pain. Kelly writes “I cannot think of anything less satisfying, not to mention limiting, than having myself as the answer to everything.” Next week we’re going to discover the truth: behind every false god is a lie.

Our Prayer Wall has many requests, so please print the page, place a copy in your workbook and pray for these women who are asking for your help. The best way to print the page is to copy and past the prayers into a Word document. If you have a prayer request for our prayer wall, please click here.

Kelly Minter Quotes

• Many of us run to idols because we are convinced they will bring us what we need.
  • If it all looks easy and doable, it doesn’t require faith.
  • Whatever we fear is our god. Fear itself is not the god; the object of our fear is the god.
  • Scripture has been tremendously effective in combatting my fears.

4. Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.

• Natale says:

#1. Definitely fear. Fear of a person which has influenced my actions or lack there of. This has also caused me to lose people in my life whom I love dearly. Psalm 118:6 is one of the versus that has stood out for me from the list.

#2. To trust in the Lord for everything even in times when I am afraid He is not there.

#3. Although, I am sure I have had a time when I took matters into my own hands when I did not feel God showed up in time, I am just drawing a blank a the moment. However, I can say that hindsight always confirms that God’s timing is perfect. Too bad we cannot see things from His perspective in the beginning.

#4. Reflecting on the versus that address fear was my favorite moment. The verses really gave me encouragement.

• Lisa C. says:

Lisa C., California:

1. Which if the five causes- identity, need, pain, silence or fear- seems to be the root cause for your idols? Fear

2. What does it mean for you to have your identity in Christ rather than in idols? Putting my trust in Christ to take care of me would keep me from feeling the need to be in control of myself. Focusing on Him will keep the focus off of me.

3. Describe a time God did not show up fast enough and you took matters into your own hands. (page 41) Plenty of times I’ve prayed about something but wanted to see results so have done what I think would be best, rather than trusting and waiting.

Trust in the LORD with all your heart
      and lean not on your own understanding;
      in all your ways submit to him,
      and he will make your paths straight. Proverbs 3:5-6 NIV

• Jennifer D says:

a) the song on page 42
    b) All the words below are identifiable in stealing time from people
    1. identity
    2. need
    3. pain
    4. silence
    5. fear

• Pam H says:

1.Just like Michelle and Tara, I struggle most with identity and fear.

2.What does it mean for you to have your identity in Christ rather than in idols?
    To reflect Christ in my daily attitudes I need to have a core stability for understanding who I am in Christ. Want to look stressed? Focus on the world, i.e. trouble and chaos. I love the Mayhem guy in the commercials. He personifies how I feel when I am not walking in the Lord’s presence. As I walk in the identity of Christ I find support like no other can provide. Peace is there. I can confidently wisk Mayhem away because I am confident that I have been CHOSEN BY GOD.
    3.One of my children became very ill and almost died. She struggled for over two months. I got to the point where I broke down in anger before God. I didn’t feel that he was answering my prayers for my daughter’s recovery. God’s timing wasn’t my timing. Now that I look back I can see how God used that time to bring others closer to Jesus. PS…My daughter was healed and is a vibrant and active person.
    4.Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.
    John 14:27 – Great reminder not to be rattled by the world, God didn’t give you that stuff, Jesus brings peace.

I absolutely love your analogy in your answer to the second question Pam. This one will stick in my mind. Thanks!

• Carla says:

1. Identity
    2. less stress and mental agony/confusion

4. The Topic because just today i was seeking scripture on dealing with fear because i find that fear stops me from my actual purpose and life as well as what God desires of me on all levels

• Lynmara says:

1. Identity and need seem to be the ones for me. Coming from another country where there is a lot of poverty made me believe that the American Dream was about having material things and status. How wrong was I.
    4. This study is amazing! I am getting closer to God.

• Jennifer Martin says:

1.Fear
    2.Christ can provide. Others cannot. A void/empty spot will always be there without Christ.
    3.Since money/finances are my idol, I have noticed I make decisions without thinking and praying, which doesnt work out.
    4.Jeremiah 1:8-do not be afraid for I am with you. I needed to read this!!!!

• Jane says:

Fear. Doubt.

I know that all I need is the Lord, but sometimes the devil opens the door and I wonder. Even though I know He will take care of me and never leave me and loves me more than anyone doubt slips in.

So much was in this weeks work. Still digging…..

Unbelief is a common experience in Christianity, even pastors have it at times. I’ve read books by several pastors who are shocked when unbelief creeps into their minds. It’s the work of the enemy and Satan uses deception by twisting the truth. Nobody is immune to unbelief. The question is, are you prepared to deal with it when it happens?

• Jenny says:

At think from time to time the root of my idols would come from all of the five. I think it just depends on what the idol is at the time. Currently, i think the root of my current idols have been from fear.

• Margie says:

1.Which if the five causes- identity, need, pain, silence or fear- seems to be the root cause for your idols?

I think need is because I always felt the need to have someone in my life who needed me and who would stay with me and I would never be alone.

I realize now that all I need is Jesus Christ. He will always be with me and provide for me.

3.Describe a time God did not show up fast enough and you took matters into your own hands. (page 41)

Oh, I’ve done that 3 times…picked my own husbands..no more.

• Kami says:

Another awesome week! Feels like she wrote this just for me, but than I read everyone else’s comments and she wrote it for all of us.
    1. Identity and fear seem to be the cause for my idols.
    2. Having my identity in Christ means that I need to be able to have Christ in my heart and in my life. People that see me should be able to see Christ in me. Women need to see me putting my relationships with Christ, family or friends first and not always put them (women at church) first. And when Christ wants me to share with other women, He will let me know when the right time will be and it may not be when I think the time is right.
    4. I liked when she said on pg 41, “If it all looks easy and doable, it doesn’t require faith.” and than pg 46, “What about God’s silence? Often when the Lord is quiet, or when He’s not acting on our behalf in the way we thought or hoped He would, we decide that we’re on our own — that we need to look out for ourselves.” How true is this? I need to be patient and wait for Him to show me Himself. Pg 46, “we see God silencing or removing Himself for a time for different purposes; it was a test or a growth period for His children.”
    Great week!!

• Christina C. says:

1. Fear seems to be the root cause of my idol. It seems to be what motivates me in a lot of areas of my life. I want things to be planned out just right so that I can prevent the kids from having a breakdown. I want to make sure the house is clean when my husband gets home from work so that he will appreciate me and so on. I know that my family loves me the same no matter what I accomplish during the day or how smoothly the day goes. Those thoughts are just thoughts and not reality. It’s fear telling me those things. I need to hand over my worries and concerns to God and let him be in control. I find so much more peace in my heart when I can lay every decision I make before Him and ask what He thinks first. It also helps me not to fear because I don’t feel like I am on my own. I often know what I need to do to not fear but it’s always easier said than done.

• Holly says:

Fear… it almost seems contradictory that this could be my idol…. I have deep fear of losing my fiance of any member of my family…. I wonder if my love for them is stronger than my love for God. Does anyone know if it is the exact same kind of love? I love God, and I love Him with fear and reverance… my family I love with every fibre of my being…? I want to love God even more, but it seems another kind of love?

Does this mean the love for my family is an idol?

• Victoria says:

1. I think IDENTITY would be my root cause. And NEED also. I know that my Identity is in Christ and that He is all I need, but I struggle with really acting on this knowledge and belief!

2. To me it means to stop looking for myself…but to seek God in everything and He will be my identity. I can’t find my identity in this world, in what others have or are…Only through God.

3. I amswered this question “Always! 🙂 I deal with this issue constantly, being the control freak that I am.”

4. I had a profound moment from 1 Sam 8:1-22 and noted “They wanted what everyone else had-sounds so familiar to me! I’ve wasted so much time trying to achieve things others have or just wallowing in self-pity that I don’t have them, can’t be them, won’t ever have the chance.”
    Day 2 I rephrased a paragraph on p. 41 to read “In spite of how bleak things may look, God has a plan for me. I always feel in a bind. And sometimes I have genuine cause for concern. BUT GOD! But that’s always going to be the place where our faith is tested. If it all looks easy and doable, it doesn’t require faith.” Then I put “God’s way-He knows best! And He will always get His way, regardless of our actions!”

Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.

• Christine D says:

I honestly am not sure. I think need. My main idols that I need to destroy are money and materialism. I am sure that I have plenty others, but I am dealing with these first. I just ordered a Randy Alcorn book on Money. Does anyone know any other good resources to help me?

3.Describe a time God did not show up fast enough and you took matters into your own hands. It boils down to money again. I started an online business. Before praying about it and waiting, I purchased the website and dove right in. Needless to say, it failed.

The Dave Ramsey Financial Peace is excellent for reshaping a world view of money to a biblical view of money. You can also listen to him on the radio, check his website for more information.

Here is a Focus on the Family link too:

You are not alone in your struggle. What makes you different is that you want to break the stronghold money has over your life. Praying!

• Michelle says:

I agree with Christine about Dave Ramsey. We are currently coming out of a bankruptcy and my prolonged illness, and his radio show, website, books, and VERY ENCOURAGING forums have really helped our family get a better handle on our finances. I can’t recommend them enough! If nothing else, go to his website and read through the forums. EXCELLENT, Godly people there!

So far after reading each person’s response I have wanted to comment on something or other that each has said so instead of having numerous comments let me just say…

You guys are all awesome!

Each and every one of you has said something that made me think, “Yeah, me too.” or “I couldn’t have said it better!” or “That’s exactly how I feel.”

Thank you all for sharing, it has really encouraged me this week, and I truly appreciate it.

:O)

• Shirley Coolidge says:

For me, identity and fear seem to be the root cause for my idols.

To have my identity in Christ rather than in idols means that I see myself through Christ’s eyes not through the worlds. I look to Him rather than the worlds for what I am to look like, what I am to do and where I am to go. I must confess that I know this in my heart and am striving for this identity every day but still struggle with it. I am a new creation in Christ and I must keep repeating this to myself over and over. He is faithful and shows up when I do!

My favorite moment from this week’s study was realizing that fear was what kept me tied to my idol. I had never separated out the emotion of this before. Mark 5:36 really spoke to me: 36 Overhearing what they said, Jesus told him, “Don’t be afraid; just believe.” It is so simple but yet so hard.

• Allison says:

FEAR…fear of not being forgiven. Fear of not having a close relationship with our Lord and Savior.
    NEED…the need to feel accepted and loved. A strong need for validation….as a teacher, a wife, a mother, a friend, a Christian, the list goes on and on as I have lived my entire life feeling very insecure and inadequate.

Confronting the mindset that too many of us live with: if only I could get that perfect spouse, job, car, body, etc then I would be happy, content, satisfied, have purpose, have identity. Are we bound to a life of discontentment? There is nothing better than knowing our identity is not in what we do, what we have, or how much we have. Our identity is in Christ! You can take away what we do, what we have and how much we have but you can’t take away our identity in Christ! We will never be content with things. The only secure source of justification, love, mercy, grace, approval is the Lord Jesus Christ.

4. Share a favorite moment from this week’s study. These two verses gave me assurance and comfort.

Psalm 118:6 The Lord is for me, so I will have no fear. What can mere people do to me?
    John 14:27 “I am leaving you with a gift—peace of mind and heart. And the peace I give is a gift the world cannot give. So don’t be troubled or afraid.

• Jayce says:

1. Which of the five causes- identity, need, pain, silence or fear- seems to be the root cause for your idols?

Identity. I feel like I know who I am, but much of my identity is in myself (like that Oprah quote) instead of in God where it needs to be.

God chose us for his own possession. That is such a powerful statement to me. I love God for choosing me, now I just need to make sure that I choose him first.

As soon as I read Day 1, I thought… that’s it. I am searching for my identity. I underlined the part that said, Women everywhere are caught in an endless pursuit to discover their identity.” I am always trying to relate myself to what others think of me, rather than what I am in Christ. I also think that fear is a major cause for my idols. My fears deal with my identity, if that makes sense.. self-doubt, lack of self-esteem…
    Having an identity in Christ means we see ourselves as beautiful. We are God’s creation. We are love personified. Our identity becomes lost as we strive to become more Christ-like. We still struggle, but when we mess up, we realize there is no condemnation in Christ. Thank you, Jesus!
    I can’t think of one specific moment but I do this a lot. I am impatient and let my emotions lead me. Waiting has never been easy for me.
    4.Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.
    I really enjoyed looking up the verses on Fear on Day 5. Thinking about how I protect myself from fear by putting up walls using my false idols was really helpful.
    Thanks for the point about the earrings… it brought to mind something that Beth Moore brought out in her Week 1 of Jesus the ONe and ONly (We are studying this in my church right now). The very identity of the Israelites was their ability to hear from God. I loved how you said they were donning the gift of God on their ears but couldn’t hear HIm. Goes to show that sometimes (a lot of times for me) we just arent listening hard enought.

• Elle says:

Identity- I saw my identity idos popping up all week.

My identity in Christ allows me to let go of what I think I should do/be, and go through my day praying for direction and what my next turn will be. At the end of my day, I feel that I have been side by side with the Lord.

I worked for a company for 10 years, I wanted to go somewhere so I did. It was worse then my last job. I know now I was trying to control the situation.

4.Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.
    To wait, wait, wait…. Years to get prayers answered. Learning from Sarah and Abram’s story.

• Denise says:

2) Having my identity in Christ means I can love myself and don’t need to turn to “idols” to find my peace and happiness.

4) It really got me thinking when Kelly talked about how God blessed the Israelites with gold from the Egyptians and then they took it and turned it into a golden calf…what a slap in the face to God. This will be a good reminder to me to be wise with the things God blesses me with.

• Ashley E. says:

1. Do I have to choose just one? I believe that need, pain and silence have all played a role in the development of my idols. The need to feel loved, the pain of seeing others who were and silence when I had drifted from God.

2. When people see me, I want them to see Christ in me. I want to reflect His glory and not worldliness and sinfulness. I think Kelly said it best when she said, “… I would love it said of my life: The goodness of Jesus Christ burned to brightly in her that people glorified God; she almost seemed from another world. That is the kind of stranger I want to be.” I don’t want my idols to rule me, and I don’t want that to be how the world views me.

3. Before this study began, I had been desperately helping my fiancé try to find a job so that we could finally get married. I am still helping him, but I have found peace in knowing that God will take care of us always, even before he gets a job and definitely afterwards as well. Before, I was trying to rush things, but now I have come to the understanding that God will provide the perfect job for him in His time and only in His time.

4. This past week was such an awesome study that it is difficult to just pick one thing. I loved the reminder that God already knows who we are even before we know (pg 37). I also loved the reminder that if things are easy, our faith isn’t being tested (pg 41). One of my very favorite parts was when Kelly mentioned that herself being the answer to everything was very unsatisfying (pg 43). I think for a long time I did look for answers in myself, but a part of me always knew that I didn’t have all the answers. I’m so thankful to serve a God who does have all the answers.

• Brystan says:

1. Identity, need, and fear. I want desperately to know who I am, and I often feel that it is through my relationship with my boyfriend that I will learn that…which goes into the “need” and “fear” because I need to be needed (if that makes sense) and I am scared to be alone.

2.It means a big sigh of relief and some breathing room for me. And less stress.

3. I have wanted so bad to have my own place (just moved out of my parents house last year) and so of course I moved in with my boyfriend, and while I thought it may help us to grow…it hasn’t. I should have been more patient.

4. I really liked reading Hannah’s story. I had never read it before (this is my first Bible study..and mostly my first dive into the Bible) and I felt that at this part of my life…it really touched me especially. So glad I read it.

• Lisa H says:

Silence & Fear. I was brought up with a lot of fear, and you better be quiet about it. Hmmm – never really looked at it that way until right now when I was typing it. Where I lived, children were to be seen and not heard. And there was fear of the adults. Funny how I have tried so hard to not let any of that affect me, but it has ended up controlling me. Geez …

Christ is the only way to go. Period. Doesn’t mean I’m always successful, but knowing that makes it much easier to turn away from the idols (once they are recognized) and focus on Jesus.

When I joined the U.S. Navy when I was 18. But at that time I wasn’t a child of God, so I didn’t know that was what I was doing.
    There are so many other examples throughout my life. I guess most recently would be when I left one job (that was horrible) in November 2009 for another job that turned out to be just as horrible. Now I’m unemployed. 🙁

4. Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.
    This is what I wrote for the questions on page 51:
    Idol = Using the “no one, not one” is good enough as a stumbling block to be without confidence and using that as an idol to be closed up and “shy” and not trying (I used God’s word and created my own stumbling block to my success in Christ)

And:
    Do not fear. Period. God is right next to Lisa. He will not leave, He will not turn for one moment. Speak to Him, He will hear. He will comfort. He will give strength. He will rescue you from your idols, from your situations, from your doubt, from your fear. God is a ROCK. He cannot be moved. God is love. Fear has no part of love. Jesus gives peace. Do not be silent.

Love your ending prayer. I, too, tend to be afraid that I won’t be accepted so I end up being closed up and shy. Never thought of it in terms of being an idol, but I am so much an introvert. I am trying to come out of my shell by participating in Bible study at church and talking to people, even when I don’t know them, which is way out of my comfort zone but something that I feel like God wants me to do.

• Leigh says:

Pain…My son died a year and a half ago. Instead of dealing with the pain of grief, I turned the TV on and just became a senseless, mindless blob. Didn’t want to think or feel. Now I am trying to rid myself of those idols and reconnect with God.

I am one of God’s chosen people. I loved the part that we are His treasured possessions. I’m going to try to really live with that identity…”I am God’s treasured possession!!”

I was going about grieving all wrong. God put a very special lady in my path that led me to a great group. He knows the right things for me and in His timimg.

4.Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.
    Day 1 MAKE ROOM FOR GOD!!
    Day 4 WAIT FOR HIM!!

• Jane says:

Leigh, do you know if there is a GriefShare Ministry anywhere near you? Go to http://www.griefshare.org and enter your zip code to find a group near you. I lost my 19 year old daughter 7 years ago and the walk has been rough but the Lord was walked with me the whole way. I was told about GriefShare by a friend and it helped me so much. I am now a faciliator for our ministry. Will be praying for you. If I can help you maybe Christine can connect us in some way.

I did not know about this ministry Jane, I’ll link it under resources. Thank you for sharing it. I think if Leigh clicks on your name, it will take her to your blog and she can connect with you?

1. Identity is definitely the root cause for my idols.

2. To have my identity in Christ for me means to look to Him only for everything.

3. I so badly want to have a place of my own and have become so impatient over the years that not just once, but twice, I have taken matters into my own hands. Needless to say neither time turned out well. The first time I purchased a home which I lost to foreclosure after losing my job and child support for my son, and the second time I only rented but it became clear very quickly that it was impossible for me to afford so I had to move back in with my sister – only now with final utility bills to pay that I didn’t have before.

4. I agree with Christine that the personal reflection on day 1 was powerful. Learning that my identity in Christ is obscured when I allow my sinful desires to rule in me was absolutely eye-opening for me.

• Michelle says:

I will be posting late for this one. My book still has not arrived.

• Michelle says:

Okay, got my book now, so here goes:

1.) Which if the five causes- identity, need, pain, silence or fear- seems to be the root cause for your idols?

Pain and fear have caused me to turn to control as an idol. If I am in control (so my worldly mind thinks), nothing can hurt me.

2.) What does it mean for you to have your identity in Christ rather than in idols?

It means I have to trust God; I cannot be in control. I have to wait on Him, and I have to believe that He will work things together for good. It means that when the rain is pouring, I have focus on how my world is being nourished and not flooded.

3.) Describe a time God did not show up fast enough and you took matters into your own hands. (page 41)

My entire life has been an example of this. This is exactly what we have done with finances from the beginning of our marriage, and just now (20 years later), we are learning how to wait on God and trust Him.

4.) Share a favorite moment from this week’s study.

The sentence “We belong to Him,” hit me really hard. Identity comes from feeling like you are part of something, connected to it, integrated into it. I had never thought of myself as “belonging” to anyone, because I’ve always been independent and in control. Even in marriage, I see myself as “partnered,” not belonging. However, the feeling and image that came with this sentence were calming and peaceful–not repulsive, as I would have expected. I FEEL like I belong, and that is different than feeling owned and not cared about. Belonging to God means I am treasured by Him. THAT is an amazing revelation for me.

The lessons are short so you’ll catch up in no time. 🙂

• michelle says:

Identity seems to be the root cause of my idols. I tend to run to things that I try to have control. In the end, I have no satisfaction because nothing can be controlled.

My identity in Christ is growing more. When situations arise, I lean on Christ, who strengthens me. I’m not there yet, but I’m not where I used to be.

I have taken matters in my own hands too many times in my marriage. there are numerous struggles everyday being married to an unsaved spouse. I have used harsh words and have been quick to get angry trying to protect myself, only pushing this man away further from knowing Christ.

My favorite part of the study was Hannah. Hannah’s pain was so intense and she could have ran to idols. Instead, she rooted herself in God and trusted Him for the impossible in her life.

• Rhoda says:

1. Fear would also be root of any “function idol” for me. After losing my only brother at a young age,my father, and a very close friend to cancer the dread of that disease or any other motivates me to be more nutrition/health minded than God first minded. I am glad to say that strong hold no longer controls me and I no longer fear dealing with personal health issues because God’s promise to be with me and provide whatever I need has become a reality.

2. Christine wrote exactly what I would say.

3. We were also affected by the down turn of the economy and the real estate market in 2009. We reached bottom of funds and income and thought we would have to close business, sell property and move on…but that was not God’s plan. I prayed and trusted God to lead us…but I also worried, felt stressed and depressed all the while God was meeting our needs and all bills paid on time. I acknowledge that it was God that miraculously provided the jobs and income to cover all our needs….in His time not mine. Now I wait in anticipation to see how God will lead and provide..because He will!

• Tara says:

Identity and fear were the most impacting to me. I used to be a very strong person who knew who I was and what I wanted. After many years of raising children I have lost all of that and often struggle with “who am I?” I feel like fear is part of that. Like the book said, fear keeps me attached to my idol. I want to be someone and I want to like who that is. This in and of itself (as we learned in week 1) is not bad… it’s just that it can consume me to the point of depression! This study is revealing so many issues that I hardly know where to start. I am so thankful for God’s Word as He works me through these issues!

Our identity is Daughter of the King, child of God. Somewhere along the way, we lose our identity and we have misplaced fear. The more I have participated in bible study, the more I released my fear and embraced my identity as HIS.

1. Silence and fear. Silence for I do not like to be heard as much as I use and this drives me to books ands TV and away from God….so I do not have to be heard. Fear for I do not lke to be alone and this drives me to do other things, instead of spending time with God.

2. This shows me I belong to someone who cares for me and who watches over me so I should not have any fear.

3. God did not show up fast enough a few times when we had no momey, food and had to move(lost the house), so I took matters into my hands and NOW WE are paying for it. I need to LET GO AND LET GOD handle it and keep my hands off of it and let Him deal with it as He seees fit.

when I completed the Breaking Free study, I found fear a stronghold from childhood and I was able to break free. I saw it was generational and ran through my family line along with pride, which I’m still breaking.

1. Fear seems to be the root cause of my idols. I was often punished and shamed as a child, and the effects lingered into my adult life.

2. My identity in Christ allows me freedom from strongholds and fear, and places God at the center of my thoughts. I filter life through His will, not mine.

3. In my opinion God did not show up fast enough when my husband lost his job. I panicked and felt my world shatter, unsure how we’d pay our bills and keep our health insurance. I called our mortgage company and asked for help, and instead of offering advice, they kept redirecting my calls to “collections” which caused me to be terrified. Three days later after taking things into my own hands, I started to realize I was depending on people and not God. I increased my prayers, and He answered. We had health insurance, we had unemployment insurance and we were able to make the mortgage payments.