Stepping Up Week 6: Blessings From Zion

We’re at the end of our journey on week six of Stepping Up Through the Psalms of Ascent with Beth Moore. What an amazing journey as we walked through the Psalms, verse by verse, over the past six weeks of our lives. I thought Beth summarized it perfectly when she wrote “God not only speaks in words not openly obvious, but He also responds to many of the things we say to Him through our bibles.” The more I participate in bible study, the closer I find my walk of faith. He speaks through scripture verses, even today. The right verse, the right Psalm and the timing of His Word are always right on track- if we take time….pause…and listen. I commend each of you for doing this during the past six weeks of your study. As we walked through the Psalms, we saw that the sojurner’s journey begins with excitement, is challenged by emotion, and results in a personal relationship with God. Knowing this, I hope you will continue to grow and explore scripture.  “Though we may not fully realize what God has sown in our lives until a future harvest, the powerful nature of His Word can make a few accomplishments rapidly recognizable,” writes Beth. Look back over your journey and praise Him for His presence. Beth ends the study by writing “God’s nature is to give, and it’s time to bring His gifts home.” I pray that you will continue to be blessed by His presence, and two-way conversations with God during your next bible study.

Our Prayer Wall is filling up, so please print the page, place a copy in your workbook and pray for these women who are asking for your help. The best way to print the page is to copy and past the prayers into a Word document. If you have a prayer request for our prayer wall, please click here.

Beth Moore Quotes

• Our finite minds simply cannot grasp God’s infinite ways of answering prayer.
  • Family is ordinarily acquired rather than chosen.
  • God chose our family even if we didn’t.
  • God often uses other people as the chisel to carve true integrity into our rough personalities.
  • Every majority begins with just one contagious person.
  • Psalms are for real people with real problems.

3. Which of the 15 Psalms spoke most clearly to you and why. (page 168 )

• Jennifer D says:

Yes, I would recommend this study. It has been interesting, thought provacting. It makes you think about the feasts. Love the say it, work it, and pray it. Different bibles that are used. In addition, I like “Godess labor + little sleep = a futile expenditure of energy.”

• Jennifer D says:

Yes, I would recommend this study. It has been interesting, thought provacting. It makes you think about the feast. Love the say it, work it and pray it. Different bibles taht are used. Love the saying “Godess Labor + Little Sleep = a futile expenditure of energy.”

• Carin says:

I haven’t forgotten to end my study!

God wants us to be useful
    I recently took on an extra task of helping people at my office learn a new operating system. I had/and have been enduring hardships from people who have been taking their anger and frustrations out on me (and the two other trainers). It amazed me that I knew they were not directly angry towards me so I simply tried to continue on & help & not be upset at their attitude. In the past I would have lashed back. I have been rewarded by my company for my patience & help. I found it to be a blessing for me to see my growth!

Down on the ground
    Yes, I have made it my morning habit. I will continue on with the next study too! It is a great way to begin your day by acknowledgment seeking him first thing in the morning.

Out of the 15 psalms, Psalm 120 spoke to me (right off the bat). I knew this is where God wanted me to be in his word (for sure). He spoke to me very clearly about what was happening in my life and I do not think I would have survived the situation if the next few Psalms didn’t keep telling me over and over again that the wicked will not rule! This was an amazing study for me.

Yes, I would recommend. I loved how we made a prayer of the verse/verses. What an amazing way to pray!

• Becky says:

1.On page 156 Beth Moore writes “God doesn’t just want us to be happy, He wants us to be useful.” Have you discovered this to be true? For our lives to help others – to serve others as Christ – useful is important. In fact, I do want to be useful – I just want to be careful not to see myself as only important for my usefulness.
    2.Reflect on your own experience of going down on the ground before each bible study lesson. How did this affect you? (page 167 )This helps me to feel more focused toward God, I can’t see what I “need to get up and get done” when I am on my face.
    3.Which of the 15 Psalms spoke most clearly to you and why. (page 168 )Psalm 126 – not just about planting seeds but about seeing them through to growth – and Psalm 122 – God gives me peace here.
    4.Would you recommend Stepping Up Through the Psalms of Ascent to a friend? Why or why not. I would – one of things I realized throughout is that I am on a journey – I am not just “biding time” here.

• Pam, Louisiana says:

1. I try to be useful to my mom, my pastor, and my family and friends. My mom is getting up in years and she is starting not to like driving long distances by herself. So I go and take her and over the years, we have been having so much fun together. This is a different kind of fun that we have never had before. So I am thankful that I can be useful to my mom in that way.

2. Going down to the ground before each Bible study has given me more of an ear for God’s word. I seem to grasp more of what is being said in the Psalms and most always have something in my life that it pertains to.

3. Psalms 125 spoke very clearly to me. I always pray for my adult child. When I read the part of God encircling His children. The LORD spoke to me saying that He is always protecting my child.

4.Yes I would, and have, recommended the book to several people. My pastor is reading it now. She was thrilled when I passed it on to her.

I am so going to miss this journey. But, it has been fun and very interesting. I hope everyone found more intimacy with God. I too will be doing the next Beth Moore and Kelly Minter. I can’t wait for Esther and David though.

• Carolyn says:

1.Yes. I believe that the personalities within our family serve as a microcosim of the world. Through our interactions with each family member, we learn how to adapt and evolve as citizens in the world.

2. the experience humbled me and helped me to become more honest.

3. Pslam 129. This lesson taught me that with every decision I make, I should invoke the Lord’s name.

4. I would recommend Beth Moore and the online bible study to a friend, but it’s hard to know what specific bible study will awaken a thirst for God in someone else.

• Molly J says:

Yes, I sure have. Funny thing is sometimes I feel like I’m much more useful when things are tough. I have a tendency to spend a lot of time praying and reading in God’s Word when I have pressure in my life. Wish I wasn’t that way, but I am…for now. Something more to work on.

For me going down on the ground was quite an emotional experience. It helped me to focus and really just be quiet and listen too. It’s something that I want to keep in my daily routine. I just feel like it’s a great way for me to give the Lord the time and respect He deserves from me.

• Monica says:

1. On page 156 Beth Moore writes “God doesn’ t just want us to be happy , He wants us
    to be useful. ” Have you discovered this to be true ? Yes and I am still learning it day by day.

3. Which of the 15 Psalms spoke most clearly to you and why . ( page 168 )
    Psalms 133: God chose our family even if we didn’t
    Psalm 126: In order to reap, you must truly sow
    Psalm 121: The Lord is my help

4. Would you recommend Stepping Up Through the Psalms of Ascent to a friend ?
    Why or why not .
    Absolutely! For me it was an awesome time getting to know God and myself more than I thought possible. This study was truly a blessing and I can’t wait for my next journey to begin.

• Ann M. says:

1. On page 156 Beth Moore writes “God doesn’t just want us to be happy, He wants us to be useful.” Have you discovered this to be true? When I read this question, I could not help but reflect on the sentence before it, ” When all is said and done, some of the people we needed most to fulfill God’s plan for our personal lives will be those we wanted least.” Yes, I have found that to be true. Co-workers are some of the people in my life I wouldn’t choose. But I know that by learning to see them as someone God loves and someone I can learn from has influenced my attitude for good. I want to be a vessel that God shapes and can use vs. one of my own desire.
    2. Reflect on your own experience of going down on the ground before each bible study lesson. How did this affect you? I was humbled by the experience even though I went face down in prayer in the morning before leaving for work not before doing my lesson. During this time, I would attempt to recite Psalm 121 from memory. In my mind, I was looking down from high in the heavens to see this tiny speck. I was amazed that even though I occupy a small space in a fraction of time, God is still mindful of me. It made me want to make godly use of my time. (page 167 )
    3. Which of the 15 Psalms spoke most clearly to you and why. I am struggling with relationships right now so Psalms 131, & 133 really spoke to my heart. However, Psalm 134 lifted my spirits as I sought to praise the Lord. Even though it was the last Psalm we looked at, it seems to be the starting point as well as the ending exclamation.
    (page 168 )
    4. Would you recommend Stepping Up Through the Psalms of Ascent to a friend? Why or why not. Yes of course and I hope to do it again someday myself. God’s word is living and speaks to you where ever you are. This study affirms that the one true God is right by your side and fights for you. It was a very encouraging study.

Thanks for sharing this importance sentence Ann “When all is said and done, some of the people we needed most to fulfill God’s plan for our personal lives will be those we wanted least.” It really amplifies my own experiences and the most difficult times in my life, usually involving people I’d never want to be around for the rest of eternity. God knew they have a purpose and he places them in our lives so we can learn something. I am reading the book “Soulprint” and I see how these people can leave a fingerprint on our souls. Sometimes, years later, we need to go back and revisit the lesson. I like your Psalm 121 experience- as soon as my leg is healed, I’m going to try that!

You said “one true God is right by your side and fights for you.” Though the pilgrims traveled as a group, their experience with God was an individual one. Thank you for the insight, I’m always learning from the women in the group and that is why I enjoy bible study so much. 🙂

Yes!!! I do think God wants us to be useful… He wants to use us to help others. But the quote I responded to was directly above it, where Beth wrote, “When all is said and done, some of the people we needed most to fulfill God’s plan for our personal lives will be those we wanted least.” I have had some issues with a couple of family members lately, and even though I truly love them, I have just had a really bad attitude… kind of like, nothing they do could be right (Im sure none of you have ever felt that way before). It all comes down to jealousy and insecurity, which are not of God. I also have some students who really grate on my nerves, but God wants me to love them… and love is an action.
    3.Which of the 15 Psalms spoke most clearly to you and why. (page 168 )Psalms 121- because I live in the hills, I think I expanded on this in another session. It just reminds me of home. I’ve always loved it. Psalms 126- It speaks of waiting on the Lord, and patience is a virtue I am trying to cultivate… but it is so hard! And Psalm 131- speaking about being haughty and prideful, looking down on others, which I have had a history of doing… I want to be able to quiet myself as this Psalm talks about.
    4.Would you recommend Stepping Up Through the Psalms of Ascent to a friend? Why or why not. Yes, I would. I feel like these Psalms have went through every emotion that we face… and hold great truths that God will see us through, no matter how we are feeling about it.

• Lisa H says:

Yes. When I am “useful” I feel like I contribute more and am more productive than just “doing nothing.” I do however like to “do nothing”! But only every once in a while. When I am not “useful” I find my mind wanders more and is more open for the enemy to convince me that I am not worth anything.

Honestly, I didn’t do this prior to each lesson. I did do it more than I have ever before. I have been taking my place on my face before my wonderful God mostly at night. I have also done it in the morning several times. This action was never a habit, so I am struggling with inconsistency. But every time I do it prior to going to bed, I realize I sleep better. And my sleep seems to be quality vs. quantity and I’m less apt to be attacked by the enemy.

3. Which of the 15 Psalms spoke most clearly to you and why. (page 168 )
    Psalm 121 – God is always there and protecting me – I see in my life where He has protected me when I wasn’t even aware.
    Psalm 124 – God does not abandon His children. This gives me hope 🙂
    Psalm 132 – I like to hear God talk to me. I get revived and encouraged.

I would. It has brought to the front of my life several things that reconciled angry thoughts I was carrying that needed to be let go.

Thank you Christine for offering and supporting a super great study. I can’t wait for the next one.

• yvette says:

Thank you Christine for setting up these studies. They have truly been a blessing to my spirit. I am keeping you uplifted in prayer. God bless!

• yvette says:

1. n page 156 Beth Moore writes “God doesn’t just want us to be happy, He wants us to be useful.” Have you discovered this to be true? >>YES! and the awesome thing I am acknowledging is the more you think about kingdom building instead of making yourself happy, the more joy God gives you through out the day. sweet:)

2. Reflect on your own experience of going down on the ground before each bible study lesson. How did this affect you? (page 167 )>>> I found it provoked God’s presence a whole lot more. Showing me things more about myself or things I needed it. Make things clear for me.

3. Psalms 123, particularly verse 3. I have been having issues with the women at my job, allowing those spirits to vex mine and cause me to have to repent sometimes. But I went before the Lord every morning before going to work with this scripture, explaining how I don’t want to be filled with contempt. And do you know God has been blessing me to have peace on the job. I am telling you, the word of God is powerful!!

4. Yes, I would recommend this study, it was awesome. Was a bit sad today that I didn’t have to get into my Psalm for today. enjoyed it…such a blessing!

The Word is very powerful, and we have to discover it on our own. I scheduled a two week break between this study and the next, because we had many women joining the study late and more than 200 people doing this study. The “spring break” allows them a chance to catch up and then start the new study with us. I like Kim’s idea of staying in the Psalms…reading them over the next two weeks. It might be good to read them, and work them the same way we did with Beth, concluding with our own version of the Psalm. Another idea is to re-listen to the audio or video sessions if you have them, as a “summary” of what we learned.

1. Absolutely! I’m not happy when I see my child suffer, yet in the suffering I also see the hand of God and how suffering becomes useful for His Kingdom. Bullying, for example, does not make me or my daughter happy. Yet in usefulness, I went to the police and filed a complaint, went to the school and filed a complaint and prayed constantly over my daughter. We spent many years in counseling as she regained her sense of confidence and happiness. During this unhappy time, we shared our faith with doctors, police, and teachers. We grew in faith and love for the Lord, we felt His protection and we trusted in Him. At the same time we felt unhappy about the bullying, we were educating others on the consequences of bullying. Useful.

2. On the 10th day of going down to the ground, I could not get up! I was in extreme pain and stuck on the floor for at least two hours. The muscles in my upper leg were strained and it was extreme pain and stopped my mobility. I knew it was the product of spiritual warfare, because I was also on my 10th day of a commitment to exercise in the name of Christ. I’d been treadmilling 30 minutes a day, stretching before the exercise, and POW- my leg was gone. It’s never happened before…I knew it was annoying, through I would NOT make it the center of my attention. I continued my study, unable to get face down, and still found myself in intimacy with the Lord.

3. Many of the Psalms spoke clearly to me, especially when I re-wrote them in my own words.

• Carin says:

Wow Christine…I am just catching up.
      I just read that you shut down your jewelery business. Was that hard for you? I am so bless by this on-line cafe that I am certain God has a wonderful ministry plan for you!

I will pray for that injury too.

Thanks Carin, I just closed the business in the past two weeks. It feels good and the Lord has been filling my cup. He has me “resting” right now and He has planted a seed for me to author a book. I’m listening. Thank you for praying.

• Carin says:

Oh, my goodness! I am so excited about a book! Keep me (us) posted! After reading “one thousand gifts” I am paying more attention to your recommendations on books…

• Kim says:

Christine,

Today, I’ll answer in narrative form, if you don’t mind.

First, please allow me to say how appreciative I am for this study. As a result of this bible study…and due to other factors, I have elected to initiate a personal pilgrimage through all of the psalms. I am in the process of traveling through the psalms even now. I call my pilgrimage adventure “150 Miles to Go…and Counting.” My goal is to gain a deeper understanding of praise, worship, faith and God. I will do it! In the name of Jesus, I will.

This study has centered my focus, streamlined my joy, and increased my understanding of so much. My heart for Jesus has expanded. My sense of empathy has been radically affected. I cannot even begin to tell you how the Hallel spoke.Volumes. VOLUMES. As I fall to my knees and pray, I am reminded of the Messiah. I remember…

Though I have been quiet on the whole, I have been present throughout this journey. My prayers and my praise are both richer after this ascent. And still, I want more. I’ll end here, but really I continue on my path to new beginnings and upward ascents.

Blessings and Thanks,
    Kim

P.S. I loved getting to know you through your post. 🙂

Amazing testimony Kim, thank you for sharing your journey. I’ve had a similar experience while completing this study. During the course of the 6 weeks, I found myself downsizing my task list and removing distractions from my life. I’m not sure what journey He is calling me to, I just know He is preparing me for one. I shut down my jewelry business, which I have owned for almost 5 years. It was time consuming. I’m certain the Lord is leading me into a new direction and it has to do with expanding womens ministry here at the Bible Cafe. He has opened a 12-month window for me to expand in womens ministry. What I learned during our study is to hear His voice when He calls us to something new, trust in Him when the door opens wide, follow the sound of His Word and praise Him for the journey. I look forward to hearing more about your journey and will become a subscriber of your blog so I can read about it and encourage you.

• Kim says:

Christine,
        You are beautiful in spirit. Your response brought tears to my eyes. I know God speaks through His vessels, and you, my dear, are one. I will lift up your name to our Father (on my face). 🙂 May His success be yours.

Thank you is not enough. How you bless me and inspire me, sister.

Hugs in Him,
        Kim

@
        P.S. Whatever way I may serve you, it would be my absolute honor to do so. Sincerely.

Thank you Kim. I’m not sure where He is leading, as as soon as it is revealed to me I will remember your offer. There are a few more women in the Bible Cafe studies having a similar calling, so maybe we’re all going to end up in the same place! God is moving right now….in a really BIG way.

He must become greater; I must become less. John 3:30 NIV

Loved this, Kim! Prayers for your journey… =)

• Kim says:

How kind. Thank you. Blessings to you. I will pray for your safe passage and joy in the days ahead.
        Hugs in the Most High,
        Kim

So sorry to see this journey end, been a good study. I have learned a lot from this study. Thanks Christine as always for being there for us. See you at “Breaking Free” and at “No Other Gods”.

1. Yes, it is true….if I am serving God, or other people, I find I am more happy. If I just sit around the house and read, watch T.V or blog, I get down. Volunteering at church and helping people I feel more useful. God does not intent for us to be idle, He wants us to be useful for His kingdom.

2. I need to confess, I never went down on my face during this study or have I ever done this expect maybe once. I NEED too and SHOULD do it. God expects us to and if I don’t I am dishonoring Him.

3. Psalm 133….I have been having issues with a family member for some time and this Psalm just hit home.

4. Yes, I would recommend this study to a friend. In fact I did and she joined it. Because we all need to be in the WORD. Also if you are busy you can do these any time, and at you own speed.

Thanks again Christine.

I am thankful that we are learning the Word together and with certainty, Breaking Free is going to change your life. The enemy will stalk you and attack and tempt you to not break free, so I’m putting your name in a prayer journal and praying over you each day of the study. I broke free from 40 years of strongholds, and now I’m on a mission to see other women embrace the supernatural grace that God gifts us from being free.