Stepping Up Week 2: Our Eyes Look to the Lord

Thank you for joining us on online bible study as we discuss week two of Stepping Up Through the Psalms of Ascent by Beth Moore. Our group discussion was fabulous last week and I commend you for sharing your thoughts and hearts. We’re still walking with our singing pilgrims, dissecting each verse of the Psalms of Ascent. This week we concluded three more psalms, ascended three more steps on the temple stairs, and penned three more personal versions of our own songs.

Beth invited us to examine the relationship between where we look and how we feel. I thought you’d like to read this passage from the book One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp

We beat down a gravel road in a cloud of dust, and I looked over at the billboard the van Veens had planted back in their woods. I asked Dad why anyone would bother putting a sign up in the woods if no one could make out the words. He looked at me squinting, and my mom made me an optometrist’s appointment. Next time we drove by the van Veens’ words in the woods, I wore glasses, horn-rimmed frames. And I saw the words as clear as a bell and I read them plain ‘Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shall be saved.’ Acts 16:31 KNJ The words spelled out words. I need a lens to read them. Every dark woods has words and every moment is a message from The Word-God who can’t stop writing His heart….wear the lens of the Word, to read His writing in the world. Only the Word is the answer to rightly reading the world.” Ann Voskamp

We have many special prayers so please visit the Prayer Wall and give your voice to the needs of these women. We welcome any prayer needs from the group. If you have a prayer request for our prayer wall, please click here.

Beth Moore Quotes

• We are citizens of heaven with ankles chained to earth.
  • God wants to equip us with a vision that sees higher, deeper and broader than our physical realities.
  • Disrespect is not the same as disagreement.
  • If God wills you into action, have the courage to do what He leads.
  • If you belong to Jesus Christ, you’ve already been transformed into God’s treasure.
  • Satan hates us because God loves us.
  • Christ will never take us into a battle we cannot win.
  • Jesus is the ultimate Prince Charming to every woman, especially the one who forgot she was Cinderella.

This Week’s Scripture Verse

Continue memorize Psalm 121, write each verse on an index card and start memorizing it as Beth recommend on page 22 of your workbook.

• Read Week Three in the workbook
  • Listen to the Session Three Audio or Session Three Video (optional)

1. What do you think you’d do if you had God completely figured out? (page 45 )
  2. What is your own definition of disrespect? (page 47 )
  3. Describe a time you were most aware of Satan’s harmful intent. (page 55 )
  4. Share a special memory from this week’s lesson.

• Jennifer D says:

4.Share a special memory from this week’s lesson.

a) accountibility
    b) listening to Beth
    c) Writing the answer done and not worry if they are correct. Because they are correct in your own words.
    d) distrespect-definition
    e) Reading the versus in different bibles

• Christine D says:

1.What do you think you’d do if you had God completely figured out? (page 45 )
    Honestly I really don’t want to have God completely figured out. If I did, then I would not want to learn more about Him. I would not have this thirst of knowledge for Him that I have.
    2.What is your own definition of disrespect? (page 47 ) Disrespect is when you belittle someone, make fun of someone, or just plain treat someone badly. I am a 3rd grade teacher and I try to model and teach respect everyday to my students.
    3.Describe a time you were most aware of Satan’s harmful intent. (page 55 ) Where I am at in life right now is all due to God. He broke so many family cycles. There was alcoholism, drug addiction, and abuse in my family while growing up. My brother and I both live for God and we both broke the cycle with God’s help. Satan’s intent was to keep the bad cycles through generation after generation. God would now allow that to happen.

• Janet says:

1.What do you think you’d do if you had God completely figured out? Wonder whats next….but really how would you ever no or be able to do that??

2.What is your own definition of disrespect? To be treated badly…I always say if you want to be respected then respect others.

3.Describe a time you were most aware of Satan’s harmful intent. In starting this bible study I have felt like Satan is going after my daughter which of course is hitting home.

• Carin says:

1.What do you think you’d do if you had God figured out?

I would live my days without acknowledging him daily. Sometimes I think I have him figured out (or his plan). I always think God puts people in my life or circumstances for a reason and I usually think I know the reason but later find out that is not what his plan was at all. It is a process of always acknowledging him to follow where he is leading. I really never know until I am there.

2.What is my own definition of disrespect?

Not being reasonable, being abusive in some manner whether by mouth or doing things to frustrate/and or destroy someone (could also be physical too).

3.A time when I was aware of Satan’s harmful intent.

Currently ….A past client is giving us a bad time in our business (self employed). Not being reasonable from a job we did a few years ago. Nothing makes sense on their behavior.

4.Special memory

That this book is right where I am at and I know that God is speaking to me.
    Psalms 123 (HCSB):3- Show us favor, Lord show us favor for we’ve had more than enough contempt. We’ve had more than enough scorn from the arrogant & contempt from the proud.

• Magaly says:

1. I would not want to have God all figured out. I would rather sit at the feet of Jesus than believe that I have all the answers.

2. Disrespect is disregarding a person’s value.

3. Describe a time of Satan’s harmful intent. Whenever I interceed for God’s people or I’m being blessed by God the enemy attacks my body.

• Judee Baysinger says:

Sorry, I”m running a little behind this week. Been very busy.
    Disrespecting someone takes many forms. Not valuing them as a fellow human being, treating them like they aren’t even entitled to an opinion and don’t have feelings anyway. Looking “down your nose” at them, cutting off their comments or attempts to make a statement. Speaking to everyone in the group but them. I am usually a very quiet person and people tend to “overlook” me and act like I’m not even there. It is very distressing.
    In Christ,

• Cindy H says:

1.There are so many questions on my list to ask Jesus when I get to heaven. It’s going to take all of eternity to figure some of it out. It’s just comforting to know that there are some things I can only give to God and …………trust that He knows what He is doing.
    2. Blatant disregard for someone else’s feelings. This is something I see everyday with the kids at middle school. The “golden rule” fits perfectly here.
    3. My family is going through a difficult time now. I am definitely aware of the “rat’s” efforts to destroy. But, my God is greater than anything Satan can throw at us.

• Jackie says:

It is so inspiring to hear from all of you women of God and know that others want to spend time in fellowship and striving to know Him more. I have been reading all your responses and like all them.

1.What do you think you’d do if you had God completely figured out? (page 45 )

It would be like putting a puzzle together, or finishing a great book and wishing you hadn’t come to the end of it. Praise God He is who He is, so we keep seeking His face.

2.What is your own definition of disrespect? (page 47 )
    Believing that you are better or deserve more so you act selfishly toward others.

3.Describe a time you were most aware of Satan’s harmful intent. (page 55 )

In my early years of being a new Christian, it seemed liked Satan put people in my life to bring confusion or temptation or doubt. That is one reason I love to continue in Bible studies and surround myself with like minded believers. I am greatful for this online study, since I have not been able to find one that fits my schedule.

4.Share a special memory from this week’s lesson.
    The quiet moments that have come so unexpectedly for my Bible study time, I know that has been a gift from God.
    God bless all of you, keep your hearts and minds on Him.

• Lynmara says:

Satan has tried to hurt my family, my husband’s health, my finances, my faith. Being a participant of these bible studies has helped me fight this battle. I know the end and satan has no chance with us. My husband is not a believer, but I stand strong in God’s promises.

• Lynmara says:

1. I am just glad I do not have it figured out. It would be boring. It would just not make sense. Do I get desperate? Of course! I want answers. Fast! But waiting has been an taught me to be patience. God has never left me or my family. If there is one thing I have figured out about God is that he is loyal and has my back. Always.

• Marietta says:

Dear Friends in Christ,
    I would like to say that although I haven’t been participating in this online portion of our bible study, I’ve been doing the study every day — starting face down before God each time. Circumstances in life kept me away from you but God is in the midst of us no matter what we are doing. I believe that I can now participate with you all completely. Thank you for understanding.

1.What do you think you’d do if you had God completely figured out? (page 45 )

If I ever completely figured God out I’d be constantly on my face in utter awe and never be able to rise. Those moments when I get a glimpse my heart fills up overflowing with the knowledge of his unconditional love. How One so All-in-All could even have an inkling about the tiny spect that I am is, well, it’s awesome.

2.What is your own definition of disrespect? (page 47 )

Showing, feeling and/or expressing a lack of honor and consideration for another person. Disobeying oneof authority.

3.Describe a time you were most aware of Satan’s harmful intent. (page 55 )

A time of infidelity toward me that was most likely meant to destroy my marriage. But I reached my hand up to God and asked Him for help and He gave it. I can count on Him.

4.Share a special memory from this week’s lesson.

I am inconsistent, or have been over the years, in my devotion to God. I’d be amazed if he saw me as one He could count on. Yet I often see His hand in my life. What if I thought of Him at all times? What if I truly trusted Him for everything and never worried about anything? What if I obeyed Him every time and immediately? How different my life would be.

• lauren says:

Marietta,
      I loved your answer to #4, because it is so true for me as well. No matter what I’ve done, no matter how far it seems like I have gone from God, He is still there for me. Thank You, Lord!!!

• Andrea says:

What do you think you’d do if you had God completely figured out?
    If I could figure God out completely, then I wouldn’t need Him… He wouldn’t be God. God is above and behind our comprehension and imagination in His greatness, love, justice, mercy & grace. There’s no way I could have Him figured out and Him be all of those things.

What is your own definition of disrespect?
    I’ve broken the rule of “you can’t use the word in the definition” that I always tell my students… Disrespect is to not treat one with respect; to speak or act rudely towards; to not take into account one’s feelings, needs, desires, etc.; putting oneself and their desires over someone else’s.

Describe a time you were most aware of Satan’s harmful intent.
    This one was difficult for me to answer, I’m not sure why. I know that personally, Satan strives to hurt me so that I will doubt God, His protection and love. I struggle when situations spin out of my control and a lot of “bad things” (i.e. multiple deaths in my family, assaulted at work and I was punished, etc) happen. During these times I simply crumble because Satan has fooled me into thinking that all of these things happened because God isn’t doing His job or God’s not really good enough. Satan wants me depressed, empty, alone and broken. He wants me to try it on my own so that I fail miserably and am left even more broken.

Share a special memory from this week’s lesson.
    One thing that Beth said really made me say ‘hmmm’. Beth said: “We have little trouble picturing ourselves on God’s side, but for the life of us we can’t picture God stooping down enough to be on ours.” This completely rings true for me… in the midst of chaos, struggle and anxiety I rarely picture God standing right next to me. Instead I feel alone and ‘beat-up on’. But I’m not alone, God is right there. And when I am ‘beat-up on’ He’s there to tend me wounds, bandage me up and carry me home.

• Pam, Louisiana says:

Share a special memory from this weeks lesson.
    -Day 5, Promises
    I am so thankful that all of the promises I have known were made more clear and that it is worth 10x more than when I read them before. He has been there through every trial that I have gone through and kept everyone of those promises. Thank you LORD!

• Carolyn says:

1. What do you think you’d do if you had God completely figured out?
    I would cease searching for new ways to serve Him.
    2. What is your own definition of disrespect?
    To not be taken seriously. For my thoughts or opinions to be discarded.
    3. Describe a time you were most aware of Satan’s harmful intent.
    I struggled in high school with insecurity and temptation and developed self-destructive behavior as a result. I flirted with death all too easily and am praise God now for saving me from further self-destruction.
    4. Share a special memory from this week’s lesson.
    God is a soldier for us, always prepared to battle our demons. This was my takeaway from this week’s lesson.

• Anita Neufeld says:

1.If I were to be completely honest, sadly, I know I would try to “work the system”:(
    2.My own definition of respect is not honoring anothers actions, beliefs and feelings as worthy.
    3.I feel even though God has kept me in the shelter of His wings in extremely practical ways, I feel that Satan works to harm my relationships on many different levels. He knows what I value, what I fear to lose and he is adept at undermining my desire to live my relationships with abundance!
    4.I am really finding this study powerful! First of all, I appreciate the fact that Beth often refers to the fact that the mere act of searching God’s word will create a work in us. I came here feeling so…stuck. Also this week, from nowhere…Jer. 29:4-7! I paraphrased it as Bloom Where You’re Planted!” There are many ways my life has left me in exile and I resent that I can’t raise my kids and live my life in the way that I had hoped. I have a foriegn life in a foriegn land. But God told the Isrealites to not only endure…but to prosper! That is the main gift from this study this week. But I have really taken away something from each day!
    Anyone else feel this way?

• lauren says:

Bloom where YOu’re planted… Love it! So many times we’re always saying to God, where do you want me to go from here? But sometimes I think His answer may be… STAY. One of my favorite verses is “Be still and know that I am God.”- Psalm 46:10… He tells us throughout the Bible to be still (for example, Moses at the Red Sea). There’s a time to stand still, and a time to move. Thanks for this reminder!

• Teddie says:

What do you think you’d do if you had God completely figured out? (page 45 )
    If I had God completely figured out I wouldn’t feel incomplete. I could walk through life thinking that I truly understood and knew most concepts. However, religion and spirituality is such a mysterious and complex topic. It would be baffling if someone did know.

What is your own definition of disrespect? (page 47 )
    To not see others equally or unbiased.

Describe a time you were most aware of Satan’s harmful intent. (page 55 )
    Freshman year of college. There are so many new experiences being thrown your way and you don’t have your parents or pastor to guide you. True learning curve to figure out what I was in control of.

Share a special memory from this week’s lesson.
    I loved Psalm 124. It was the one Psalm that I truly connected with and had many moments in my life (mostly professional) that I could relate the message to. Powerful!

• Holly says:

4.Share a special memory from this week’s lesson:

I have been struck this week, by what psalm 124 has been teaching me! I have not always been convinced that God is 100% on my side, especially when I haven’t ‘seen’ Him in awhile. I really do believe that he is ALWAYS by my side, supporting and protecting me…. but when my prayers are not answered, I forget….someone was emailing this week, and part of what she said was:

“>Knowing that the One who is ultimately in control also cares for me, and that he hears and answers prayer according to what is best for me…<"

It really it me how everything is according to God's will, and even when we don't feel Him there, he IS there, sticking to His plan for us individually and doing what's best for us…

• Carol says:

1. I can’t even fathom having God completely figured out. I am a constant work in progress.
    2. Disrespect is a total disregard of someone else’s feelings, thoughts, concerns, opinions, etc. A bullying of sorts.
    3. Satan’s harmful intent became crystal clear to me when I was betrayed by my husband. The situation was a clear sign of Satan’s presence. Satan didn’t win! Instead, my life journey was re-routed from the one I had imagined and I know I’m never alone on my journey. It is all good!

• Rhonda says:

1.What do you think you’d do if you had God completely figured out? I know me, I would deciede that I could do it all myself and probably do it better. I thank God that He is new and fresh each morning with something new to share with me if I will just humble myself and learn.
    3.Describe a time you were most aware of Satan’s harmful intent.When my daughter was hit by a car and I was so sure that this would be the incident that brought her back to the Lord and it didn’t turn out that way. Satan really used that time to make me doubt that my prayers being heard and God caring about me. But I know that all things are in His timing and her response to God is not something that I can make happen or it won’t be real.

• Deonne says:

My Psalm 124-

I sing in my heart–
    Whew! If Jesus hadn’t been in my side…

The world would have beaten me…
    Grief would have beaten me…
    Anger would have beaten me…
    Despair would have destroyed me.

But I have escaped! — thanks to the Lord,
    the one who makes a way out of no way!

My helper is the Lord–the Creator God of the universe!

• Becky says:

1.What do you think you’d do if you had God completely figured out?
    Lose the sense of awe and wonder that I have – finding a monotonous existence
    2.What is your own definition of disrespect? To consider another as less than one’s self
    3.Describe a time you were most aware of Satan’s harmful intent. Since having breast cancer, I have battled with depression
    4.Share a special memory from this week’s lesson. We are new to the area where we retired. I am frequently told “you aren’t from here you don’t understand.” It has been a very diffcult transition – and still is. However, this week reminded me that I do believe God put my husband and I here – for various reasons that sometimes get lost in the day to day happenings. I needed to remember that I believe God has me where He has me for His reason.

• Monica says:

I completely understand how you feel. I too am in a new area where I feel like I don’t quite fit in. For the first time I have gotten out to meet some of my neighbors, who by the way are great. Reading this week’s lesson has reminded me that all things happen for a reason. Although I haven’t figured it out yet I know that God has me here for something awesome because that is the type of God that I serve. Hang in there and God will reveal His great plan to us in His time. Good luck and keep praying.

• Lisa says:

What do you think you’d do if you had God completely figured out? I think if I had God completely figured out, I would use Him for my own selfish motives rather than come to Him seeking His will and His desire for my life.
    What is your own definition of disrespect? To speak negatively about another person, or to show disrespect with your body language, i.e. eye rolling or ignoring someone.

• Monica says:

1. What do you think you’ d do if you had God completely figured out ? ( page 45 )
    I would do anything that came to my mind. Probably more bad than good. I would never appreciate God
    or the sacrifice He made for me.

2. What is your own definition of disrespect ? ( page 47 )
    My definition of disrespect is to dishonor, ignore, or belittle.

3. Describe a time you were most aware of Satan ’ s harmful intent . ( page 55 )
    I think the time when I was most aware of Satan’s harmful intent was when I was 8 months pregnant and my 2 year old had an unexplained seizure in the middle of the night. No one knows how long tge seizure actually lasted, but the paramedics had to give her an injection to stop the seizure. According to the medical field she should have had some type of brain damage or developmental delays, but by the Grace of God Dr. Jesus said that his child was healed. She is the smartest 5 year old I know. Satan meant to use this as a way to destroy my faith in God, but all he did was let me truly learn about the power of prayer and just how awesome my God is. He continues to bless me even though I don’t deserve it!

4. Share a special memory from this week ’ s lesson .
    My special memory from this week’s lesson is “Despite her self-destruction, Christ was for her. He was on her side when she was her own worst enemy. That’s the way He is”

• lauren says:

Thanks for this reminder. Sometimes I feel like I am my own worst enemy… but there is One who is stronger than me! =)

For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38-39 NIV

• Elsabe says:

Share a special memory from this week’s lesson.

That God will protect us and not leave us. I have had people gang up against me, and twist things around, and was consciously thinking of ending the situation by walking away, or contemplating not being around anymore. The stress of being around people who are not nice, as well as having gone through breast cancer last year, and then recently another operation to have me go into early menopause, so that I can take an estrogen inhibitor, was just too much to bear. I happened to pick up a Joel Olsteen book (Live your best life now) that I had been reading on and off, and he spoke to my heart by saying that God would not want me to be depressed and constantly beaten down. There is so much more to life, and that God has a purpose for my life This is how I think that God protected me by sending me a message in written word.

Two must read books:

Who Switched Off My Brain by Dr. Caroline Leaf

One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp

Recognize the negative attacks as spiritual warfare and see the invisible as Satan uses these people to hurt you. The battle is against Satan, not your family and friends.

There is a visible and an invisible world that intersect, and we live in the intersection. Our enemy isn’t playing tag; he’s seeking someone to devour. Chip Ingram quote, The Invisible War

• Sarah S. says:

What do you think you’d do if you had God completely figured out? I would be disappointed and annoyed, honestly: it brings me great peace to know that Someone smarter than me is in charge and has things under control. But, I would also be prideful. And, as some have mentioned… quit following. What’s the point? I’ll be my own god…

What is your own definition of disrespect? Causing someone to feel “less than.”

Describe a time you were most aware of Satan’s harmful intent. Satan sought to destroy my marriage and, ultimately, my family in 2004. He didn’t win. Psalm 124 (and a song taken from its words) has been precious to me ever since.

Share a special memory from this week’s lesson. The thought of putting myself where I would be if the Lord truly weren’t on my side. For instance, if Satan had won in 2004, I would now be a weary, working single mother of teenagers. With a degree in education, I would have to be teaching, and in the State of Texas, I would currently be facing losing my job. And I would be bitter and angry about ALL of it. I am currently in an uncertain time, but it is nothing like that, and it just caused me to go to my knees in gratitude. Thank you, Jesus, for your constant love and faithfulness!

I too am speaking of Satan in “past-tense” terms as if he will no longer bring me as low as he did. Like you, I feel victory over him and although I know he will continue to tempt me, he will never win. It’s only when we are in the eye of the storm with Satan tossing waves at us…that we see One God, One Heart, One Soul.

Did your 2004 attack precede a calling or a blessing? My attack was followed by the awakening of a spiritual gift inside me. The gift is so beautiful and such a blessing, I really do not mind the attack that came along with it.God allowed the spiritual warfare as a sifting, so the gift could be unleashed in me 🙂

• Debbie says:

# What do you think you’d do if you had God completely figured out? (page 45 )
    It would be very difficult to want to look to God for guidance and direction. I probably would feel as though I new as much as God and would tend to look to others for advise. I would have a hard time believing in eternity as well since Heaven/eternity are so far beyond comprehension. We try and rap our finite minds around an infinite concept and we just have to come away with awe and respect.
    # What is your own definition of disrespect? (page 47 )
    Disrespect is belittling someone or making light of some physical disability.
    # Describe a time you were most aware of Satan’s harmful intent. (page 55 )
    When my son ran away Satan tried very hard to turn my eyes and heart from God by making me doubt the fact that Jesus was carrying him during his dark time. Even when I new he would be fine Satan would try to make my thoughts go to “You will never see him again” and “This is all my fault because I wasn’t a good enough Mom” My brother was a great as saying “THAT’S NOT GOING TO HAPPEN, DON’T EVEN GO THERE!” God truly changed our lives through that experience and even spoke audibly to my husband and Jesus showed himself to my son. Satan didn’t have a chance! Praise God!

I love the story of your son and how you trusted Jesus during the storm.

And you saw how the Lord your God cared for you all along the way as you traveled through the wilderness, just as a father cares for his child. Now he has brought you to this place. Deut 1:31 NLT

• Leah says:

4. Share a special memory from this week’s lesson. I enjoyed reflecting on relationships with church members. It reminded me of what a special family God has given us in our church families. My daughter (19) recently commented on a couple that she said is “precious.” When asked why, she said that the husband helps the wife up and she has seen him help her with her coat. Small acts of a Christian couple with an everlasting impact on a young lady. I am so thankful for my church family:)

I like that you noticed this and saw your daughters heart as she looked at the world with the eyes of Jesus. Beautiful story!

• gigi2004 says:

2. What is your own definition of disrespect? Acting as if someone doesn’t count, being rude to them, ignoring them, being spiteful and not considering their feelings at all.
    3. Describe a time you were most aware of Satan’s harmful intent. My parents both died of lung cancer within 4 months of each other. My husband and I had always been social drinkers. Slowly the alcohol took over and my marriage was falling apart. My two children went through divorces. I learned a lot about prayer and walking with my Father. He didn’t yank me up out of my pit all at once like I begged Him to, but He helped me climb up inch by inch. I know Him so much better now.
    4. Share a special memory from this week’s lesson. Being reminded where I would be right now if the LORD had not been on my side. I am so grateful.

I’m glad to hear you say “He didn’t yank me up out of my pit all at once like I begged Him to, but He helped me climb up inch by inch. ” Many times people expect a quick-fix from God, like a bandage on a bleeding wound. God goes deeper that this, and heals the heart as well as the wound.

1. What do you think you”d do if you had God completely figured out? I do not think anyone can do that…..even Satan. If I could I guess I would do as I pleased. Knowing God was not around to fix my opps anymore. If we had Him figured out why would we need Him around anymore? Right? We could all forgo the studying and going to church. But why would we want to figure Him out……we would be so sad and lonely.

2. What is your definition of disrespect? To not value someone, ignore them, not look them in the eye, talk about them as they are not there, and ridicule them.

3. Describe a time you were most aware of Satan’s harmful intent? When I am full of anger, temper and yelling at someone or something. Satan has a hand in this behavior of mine, and that is his harmful intent. He is trying to control me and turn me away from GOD.

4. Share a special memory from this week’s lesson. Beth makes it seem like we are there…..walking up the stairs, she brings so much to life.

Satan can only control you if you allow him the territory in your heart and mind. When Jesus was in the desert 40 days Satan tried to control him too. Rather than get angry at the devil (anger as as sin) rebuke the devil the way Jesus did. Jesus never fought, kicked, yelled or screamed at the pest. He used the authority given to him to stand his ground. Jesus inside you gives you this same authority. Tell the enemy to be gone, you heart belongs to Jesus, and give no more attention to the devil. Give your attention and time to Jesus alone. When the devil returns, rebuke him again.

Jesus turned around and looked at his disciples, then reprimanded Peter. “Get away from me, Satan!” he said. “You are seeing things merely from a human point of view, not from God’s.” Mark 8:33 NLT

Thanks Christine for those kind words. Been a big week, and my temper and anger are showing up agin, BIG TIME. I tell Satan to leave me alone everyday, and I am a child of God.

Thanks for always being here.

• Molly J says:

What do you think you’d do if you had God completely figured out?
    I hate to admit it but I really think I would feel like I don’t need Him anymore. I can just handle it myself would most likely be my response (that was hard to say).

Describe a time you were most aware of Satan’s harmful intent.
    Each and every time he attacked my marriage. Been married for almost 22 years now so I can say it’s happened a lot! We didn’t stand strong together for most of that time so Satan always seemed to attack there first. Praise God that He gave me the desires of my heart and now we stand strong together with God so the attacks go nowhere now. 🙂

• Maureen says:

Congratulations on 22 years of marriage! We will have our 10 year this July (both unbelievers when we married but are now on this journey together with God).

Molly, see if the attacks are happening around specific events, such as when you start a new bible study. Start paying attention to WHEN the enemy is stalking you and your marriage.

These are the scripture names for Satan (via The Invisible War by Chip Ingram)

* Satan, meaning adversary
      * Devil, meaning slanderer
      * Lucifer, meaning shining one
      * Beelzebub, meaning lord of the flies
      * Belial, meaning false god
      * The evil one, meaning absolute corruption
      * The tempter, meaning to exploit and entice
      * The prince of this world, meaning a master of false systems
      * The accuser of the brethren, meaning he will condemn you

• Lisa H says:

1. What do you think you’d do if you had God completely figured out? (page 45)
    I would quit following Him. There would be no need & its way to hard.

2. What is your own definition of disrespect? (page 47)
    to talk down to another with discouraging words; to deface another, to cause emotional harm by use of words

3. Describe a time you were most aware of Satan’s harmful intent. (page 55)
    Satan is always after me. Some times I feel like an emotional train wreck. That is a button Satan can push with me, emotion. I can’t seem to shake it. (Today is a bad day for it – I’m feeling horribly useless and unproductive and just all around down in the dumps.)

4. Share a special memory from this week’s lesson.
    What I got out of the story of the beggar in Acts 3:1-7 was profound. Read it here: http://magenmyshield.blogspot.com/2011/03/fling-march-11-2011-expectation.html

• Maureen says:

Hi Lisa. I have not read your blog post yet (I do this while on lunch break at work– blogs are blocked at work) but I can relate to feeling unable to control my emotions at times. If you have time this week, go to life today’s website and go to archives– last week they had Beth Moore teaching all week on Breaking Free. I’ve only listened to last Monday’s so far but think you might benefit as well from it. It directly relates to your #3 and how I often feel as well. I feel it is helping me and I pray it might help you too.

Expect Satan to throw stones at you during bible study, he wants to make you fall off the path of intimacy with God. Being aware that he is the one causing emotional bursts of energy from your lips is the beginning of controlling it. Give him the opposite reaction of where he leads you. For instance, if Satan causes you to feel anger, turn around and praise God or sing Psalms. If Satan causes you to feel depressed, turn around and count your blessings. If you are not sure how you are feeling, then start saying scripture verses aloud. Victory is already claimed in Jesus, sometimes we forget to stand our ground. Stand in peace and Joy, not anger or despair.

Recommend read the book One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp

• Yvette says:

1.What do you think you’d do if you had God completely figured out? (page 45 ) I wonder if I would pray so much. would I take advantage? to be honest, its a scary thought.

2. What is your own definition of disrespect? (page 47 ) someone who doesn’t give any regards to someone feelings based on their actions. Makes you wanna fight back! (Lord, help me!)

3.Describe a time you were most aware of Satan’s harmful intent. Using church hurt against me. It’s one thing when you know you did wrong towards a person and a whole other thing when you did absolutely nothing and your sister in Christ hearts your heart. I almost allowed the experience to lose my relationship with God but I have learn to keep my mind stayed on him. As the word says don’t put confidence in man but to trust God!

4. Share a special memory from this week’s lesson. Psalms 123:3, Have mercy upon us, O Lord, have mercy upon us, for we are exceedingly filled w contempt. To be honest, that scripture has helped me with some issues with some of the women at work. I thank God that the word makes such a difference when it comes to unpleasant things! Enjoying the Bible study thus far!

Having God completely figured out is a scary thought! In Man’s Search for Meaning, do we rally want to know everything there is to know….or do we want to continually learn and explore life. For me, each time I open the bible I learn something new, seeing it with a fresh perspective. I feel good saying “I don’t know it all, and that’s why I read the bible.” We were never created to be independent beings, we were created to be dependent on God.

Command those who are rich in this present world not to be arrogant nor to put their hope in wealth, which is so uncertain, but to put their hope in God, who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment. 1 Tim 6:17 NIV

• Ann M. says:

1. What do you think you’d do if you had God completely figured out? (page 45 ) If I had God figured out, I think I would stop studying His word and fall into a whole lot of destructive behaviors.
    2. What is your own definition of disrespect? (page 47 )To disrespect someone is to treat them as if they didn’t matter as if they were not even there.
    3. Describe a time you were most aware of Satan’s harmful intent. When my son was a senior in high school, I co-chaired a video committee to commemorate the four years the class had spent together. I was the only one who objected to some of the music suggested because it took the Lord’s name in vain. The emails and meetings that followed were not pretty but the final video was well received by the students and other parents. I was very glad I stood my ground. (page 55 )
    4. Share a special memory from this week’s lesson. I put stars on the top of page 57. I could think of two times in my life when I was fed up with being my own worst (earthly) enemy. Although sad, it was inspiring to think about stepping up to more consistent victory. Then to go on and ponder God being for me vs. tolerating me was like a cold drink of water on a long hot journey. I could so relate to what Beth had to say on that topic.

Like this: “God being for me vs. tolerating me was like a cold drink of water on a long hot journey.” You words are poetic,I hope you’ll share one of your rewritten Psalms with us soon. 🙂

• Stephanie says:

What would I do if I had God completely figured out? ~ I guess first I’d have to ask myself if I’d still believe. Would I take Him for granted? Would I use what I know to get whatever I wanted? Where would “faith” come into the picture? We live by faith and not by sight. If I knew Gods thoughts, how he’d answered my questions or prayers or even the exact ones he would answer and the ones he wouldn’t, would I still trust? Would there really be a need to talk to Him as I do now? I’d already know what he’d answer and what he’d do. My faith is my personal relationship with God; it’s not a “religion”. And that faith has seen me through a lot in my life. Knowing that He’s there and listening. That he cares what makes me happy and what hurts me. That he knows me inside and out and yet he still loves me. This is so very precious to me and if I had him all figured out I think I would lose that. I’m probably not making sense, but if I had Him all figured out wouldn’t he cease to be God?

Like this when you said: My faith is my personal relationship with God; it’s not a “religion.”

We are each Christ-followers and THAT defines who we are.

• Karen says:

What do you think you’d do if you had God completely figured out?
    I would lose my interest in wanting to know more about Him. My walk would become BORING!!

What is your own definition of disrespect?
    Rude, inconsiderate, hurtful

Describe a time you were most aware of Satan’s harmful intent.

My heart had been so damaged by those I “thought” loved me that I was walking home from work one night at 11:30 and wanted to step out into the traffic!! It was nothing but the grace of God and the prayers my mother had prayed all those years that kept me from doing it. satan’s voice was actually audible and I could feel him pushing me. BUT GOD SO NO!!

Share a special memory from this week’s lesson.
    ~Where I look, ~What I hear ~What I feel ~What I expect really stuck out for me this week! I began to look at each one of these and began to change what I look at, what I listen to, check how I feel and what I expect. I am changing through this bible study. Everyday in the Word of God with questions that make you think and read and dig. My appetite is changing!!

• Holly says:

yes! the more i read and study and listen to sermons – the more my appetite increases too!!This book has been wonderful so far 🙂

Your traffic experience sounds like a full frontal attack from Satan. I read about this in the book called “The Invisible War” by Chip Ingram and had my own full frontal attack. At the time, I was fasting and eating like Jesus would for 40 days, drawing closer to Him. Satan hates it when we draw near to God because God.

My Full Frontal Attack:

Let us draw near to God with a sincere heart and with the full assurance that faith brings, having our hearts sprinkled to cleanse us from a guilty conscience and having our bodies washed with pure water. Hebrews 10:22 NIV

• Amy Gray- Cunningham says:

What do you think you’d do if you had God completely figured out? (page 45 ) I don’t think I want to figure God out. Every time I think I have anything figured out it changes. I kind of like not knowing and having to seek after God. God gets my attention and I learn the most about Him when I seek him. If I knew everything about him then I wouldn’t have the desire to “get” to know Him and that would make me sad.
    What is your own definition of disrespect? (page 47 ) Disrespect is to be ugly or hurtful to another person. It is an act of discourtesy, ridicule, and contempt.
    Describe a time you were most aware of Satan’s harmful intent. (page 55 ) For me I was most aware of Satan’s attacks on me when I smoked. I quit smoking about 10 years ago and about a year ago I started back…occasionally. Every time I did, it tore away at my self esteem. Then I read about the Holy Spirit and how he lives inside of me. I thought about how I wouldn’t want to hurt him or be disrespectful to the Holy Spirit in anyway. I asked the Holy Spirit to help me and I haven’t smoked or even wanted to smoke in three weeks. So today, Satan doesn’t win!

Satan tempts you to smoke and tells you you cannot quit. The Holy Spirit convicts you that smoking is unhealthy and wrong. Most likely, once you “heard” this in your heart, the Holy Spirit started conforming it to you as well- showing you signs of the negative consequences to smoking. One way to “filter” these thoughts is to ask:

“Is this thought bringing me closer to God, or causing me to hide and pull away from him?” When the Holy Spirit speaks, he draws you closer to God.

Recommend the book The Invisible War by Chip Ingram

• Debby says:

A time I was most aware of Satan’s harmful intent was in a job situation in which the people under me showed their contempt of me on a daily basis. It was hurtful and mean, and very hard to want to go to work.

A special memory for me was where I look affects what I hear, what I feel and ultimately what I expect. In the above situation, it was very hard to keep my eyes on God, knowing He was in control of everything.

It was probably Satan showing his contempt for you, using these people. If it happens again, push back with praise and prayer, not what Satan expects. He expects you to crumble in anger, fear, depression and despair. change his course when you praise instead of complain, it really works!

Recommend the book The Invisible War by Chip Ingram

• Julie says:

1. What do you think you’d do if you had God completely figured out? (page 45 )
    Honestly, I do not think I would attend church or go to Bible study anymore. I would have no more to learn. I think I would probably try to solve problems on my own because I would think that I knew what God would do, or would want me to do, in all situations.

2. What is your own definition of disrespect? (page 47 )
    Treating someone as if they do not matter, disregarding someone’s feelings.

4. Share a special memory from this week’s lesson.
    I like how the psalms reminded me that I need to stay focused on God. It is so easy for me to get caught up in my problems and worrying about the problems of others. I feel saddened at some people’s struggles, and I get angry at others for not taking the responsibility that I think they should take to help themselves. If I would stay focused on God at all times then I would always be aware the He is the only one who can help everyone when they need help, and there is always hope in Him.

Julie,

YEAH!!!!!! You are here before me. I was at church all day. So glad you are here. Thanks for doing this, and great answers. See you Friday. Blessings.

I like the “singing Psalms” approach also. I listen to Christian music in my car on KLOVE radio, it’s all I’ve been listening to for the past 6 years. When I go to bed at night or wake in the morning, I hear the lyrics in my head. When I am at a frightening doctors appointment, I sing the words into my heart. We’re modern Psalmists 😉

You can listen online:

• Sue says:

1.What do you think you’d do if you had God completely figured out? (page 45 ) I cannot even fathom having God figured out. I love the mystery surrounding Him and His unfathomable love for us. Why would I want to spoil the gifts of understanding as He bestows them upon me?!

2.What is your own definition of disrespect? (page 47 ) to discount, not value, a person for who/what they are or what they say

3.Describe a time you were most aware of Satan’s harmful intent. (page 55 ) During my divorce. I clung to Ps 30.

4.Share a special memory from this week’s lesson.
    Ps 123 was especially meaningful to me. I am just realizing how my insecurities have shaped my life and get in the way of living my life.

I am sooo loving this study. I get to go see Beth Moore next month in Fresno. Can’t wait. I am taking my daughter who “knows” but doesn’t “walk”.

1.What do you think you’d do if you had God completely figured out? (page 45 )There would be no mystery. Part of what makes God so awesome is to think that there is so much more that is unknown. He’s always exciting. I don’t think I’d be nearly as willing to pray, read my Bible… I find it hard to do sometimes knowing that I am going to learn something new.
    2.What is your own definition of disrespect? (page 47 )Unfair treatment… made fun of. Made to feel unworthy.
    4.Share a special memory from this week’s lesson.
    Even with a catchup day on Spring Break, I’ve still been behind on my reading. So I did the last two days this week today in my office. I almost cried when I turned to page 60 and saw the “Letter from God” full of His promises. I had such a rough weekend… full of self-doubt, self-condemnation, and a pretty pathetic attitude toward myself and everyone around me. However, I went for a walk in the glorious sunshine and felt like God gave my attitude a little talking to. Then, last night, I read Romans 8:28… and I thought that’s right. It is all good… no matter whether I feel like it is or not. Posted that verse as my facebook status to remind myself and others… and then there it was today as a reminder that God loves me, that nothing can separate me from His love, and that I am more than a conqueror. Guess I wasn’t really “behind” at all! =)

Intimacy with God. It makes us cry tears of JOY when we discover it. What I love most is that it happened when you were alone, reading scripture and getting back on track after falling behind. He was waiting for you. 🙂

• Maureen says:

4. A special memory from this week’s lesson: The phrase, “Where I look ✒ What I hear ✒ What I feel ✒ What I expect” really spoke to me this week. I loved the parallel Beth made with the story of the beggar in Acts 3. Peter specifically told the beggar to “look at us” and from that moment on his life was never the same. Until he was willing to look up, eye to eye, he wasn’t really hearing the words, which led to feeling the words, which led to the expectation of his healing. It is so true in my life as well…. I sometimes expect things without looking… really looking to God first!

• LaTalya says:

1.What do you think you’d do if you had God completely figured out? (page 45 )This question is so hard to fanthom for me because God is just so, SO EVERYTHING. I would probably be the most humble and respectful servant of His and would do my best to let others know, “hey you better fear, respect Him and be grateful for ALL things”.
    2.What is your own definition of disrespect? (page 47 )To verbally or physically dishonor a person, animal or thing. I believe that disrepect can be mental and spiritual as well.
    3.Describe a time you were most aware of Satan’s harmful intent. (page 55 )There are quite a number of times I have been aware of Satan’s harmful intent in my life and others. However, it is wonderful how the Holy Spirit has always prepares and equips me at the time of need that I need my heavenly Father the most. That is why I am constantly reminding myself, my children and my husband about the importance of prayer.

Nice definition! “To verbally or physically dishonor a person, animal or thing. I believe that disrespect can be mental and spiritual as well.” Satan disrespects God, as we’ve seen numerous times in scripture. He disrespects is as well, because God loves us. So be on guard for the prowling devil when he puts opportunities for disrespect in your path. These are opportunities to cause us to sin with anger and gossip.

1. What do you think you’d do if you had God completely figured out? Satan was a beautiful and exalted angel who thought he had God completely figured out…and he fell from the sky. I would never desire to know all God knows.

2. What is your own definition of disrespect? To ignore the heart and feed the needs of pride. Satan disrespected God.

3. Describe a time you were most aware of Satan’s harmful intent. When I fasted 40 days for Lent, I met Satan head-on in a full frontal attack. I won the battle and Jesus protected me. Here is the story:

4. Share a special memory from this week’s lesson. I completely enjoyed rewriting the Psalms, it brings out my “inner poet.” Here is my Psalm 123

My eyes lift to you Abba
    The One who watched over me.
    May my eyes always be on Your Word
    And my heart always mirror Yours.
    Show me Your favor and blessings
    Shower me with Your Presence.
    My beloved Father
    Audience of One.

• Maureen says:

What do you think you’d do if you had God completely figured out? (page 45 ) I wrote that I would likely feel that I did need God if I already knew everything he knew. Makes me see that sometimes I complain when I don’t understand everything yet that very need draws me closer to God.

What is your own definition of disrespect? (page 47 ) To be treated in a way that shows no consideration for who I am, my rights or my emotions.

Describe a time you were most aware of Satan’s harmful intent. (page 55 ) I was a school teacher (first year) in NJ and at the end of the year they had to let someone go. They gave notice to another first year teacher who did not bother to do lesson plans and did other things that did not make her appear to have what it takes to be a good teacher. Apparently this teacher’s dad lived next to the superintendent of the school and her dad asked for the superintendent to give his daughter her job back. He did and instead I was let go. I was so upset by this (as was satan’s plan) and it was at a time where they were no teaching jobs available so I could not find another job. I ended up taking a job in a law firm instead and going to get my paralegal certificate. Because of the location of the school I was going to get my certification at, I ended up going to my grandmother’s house for dinner once a week on my way to the school—- that was such a blessing to me (grandma passed away the following year) and I can look back and see how satan meant it for harm but God worked it out for good. 🙂

Share a special memory from this week’s lesson. I really liked writing Romans 8 into promises meant for me from God. It made me see the passages in a new light.

• Carolyn says:

Maureen, what a beautiful story. I loved reading about how you saw God’s plan in Satan’s failed attempt.

I love it when we can look back and see the hand of God, in what we thought was misery at the time. He knows what it required to move us into a new career, new home or new direction. We drag our heels, complain, and face fear- yet all along God was there, guiding us down a new path!

• Sharon says:

1.What do you think you’d do if you had God completely figured out? (page 45 ) Honestly I think I would lose my belief. How could I still have blind faith? What would I have to look forward to in the afterlife? I would know my future if I had Him figured out and I don’t believe that’s a good thing. We are to learn as we grow in Him.

2.What is your own definition of disrespect? (page 47 ) A person who looks down on another.

3.Describe a time you were most aware of Satan’s harmful intent. (page 55 )
    A boss who was filled with venom and hatred each day to each one of us employees especially those who believed.

I liked your words “We are to learn as we grow in Him.” New Believers often think they should know it all, and when they do not, the devil throws darts of doubt at them. My heart breaks for them, especially when they encounter Pharisee thinking and they are belittled by other Christians. No matter your spiritual maturity, God always has something new to reveal to you.

When we encounter people like your boss, we face the temptation to anger or gossip. A better response is to pray and speak our hearts to Jesus over the matter.

• Kathi W says:

1.What do you think you’d do if you had God completely figured out? (page 45)
    I answered it with questions like would I need God if I had Him all figured out? Would I abuse His power to get anything I’ve ever wanted? I’ve been told God wants us to seek Him and sometimes He may play hide-and-seek with us so we will come searching for Him. I like knowing that God wants me to seek after Him.

2.What is your own definition of disrespect? (page 47)
    To be rude to someone. To be disrespectful. For example, when you say “good morning” to someone and they look the other way and keep walking without saying a word.

3.Describe a time you were most aware of Satan’s harmful intent. (page 55)
    When the doctors told my son and his wife that their baby might have a cleft palate while the baby was still in her womb. I called some prayer partners and we prayed. One of them said that she saw “that thing slither out of the womb.” God is so good! We had a healthy grandson born in September 2010!!

Satan uses our fear to tempt us away from God. The best weapon is prayer as you saw when your friends interceeded with you.

In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Ephesians 6:16 NIV