No Other Gods Online Bible Study Starts April 25, 2011

By popular request, we’re adding a second study to our Spring line up! In addition to Breaking Free by Beth Moore, we’re also studying No Other Gods: Confronting Our Modern-Day Idols by Kelly Minter. You are welcome to participate in one study or both, the choice is yours.  Pray over your decision and see where the Lord leads you.

About the No Other Gods Bible Study (from Lifeway.com)

This distinctly relational study for women, No Other Gods: Confronting Our Modern-Day Idols by Kelly Minter, is part of the unique Living Room Series and is based the corresponding book. In this 8 session Bible study, Kelly invites women to become part of her group, where friends share time, dinner, music, recipes, musings, and most of all, their lives. She encourages women to make room for God by dethroning the functional gods that clutter and claim their lives. The study includes recipes for meal ideas, song suggestions, and an accompanying website. No Other Gods can be done individually, in a home study, or in a larger church setting.

Please note there are two versions of No Other Gods: a book and a member book for this Kelly Minter bible study, you need to have a copy of the member book in order to participate in the study with us. You can download Session One from the workbook if you’d like to see a sample chapter. We will start reading chapter one on April 25, 2011.

How to Participate in the No Other Gods Online Bible Study

• Read the Bible Cafe FAQ
  • Get a copy of the No Other Gods: Confronting Our Modern Day Idols Workbook
  • Introduce yourself: Post a comment below with your name, where you are from, and answer to this question- What do you think is a modern day idol in your life?

• Courtney says:

Courtney, I’m from IL and a modern day idol in my life is tv

• Jennifer says:

This is my first time doing this online study I want to learn more about the Bible and trust in God.

• Skyy says:

If you want, share a favorite moment from this week’s study. I would like to commend John Calvin for his quote, “The evil in our desire typically does not lie in what we want, but what we want too much.” God created everything, just not for the some of the purposes that people use them for. For example, Genesis 1:11 states “Let the earth bring forth grass, the herb that yields seed, and the fruit tree that yields fruit according to its kind, whose seed is in itself, on the earth.” He created the “good” plants that are used to for medicinal purposes and He also created the “bad” plants that we consider poisonous. We look at the good and want them so much more than the bad, not realizing that the poisonous plants help us also – just in a different way. I realized that God created everything for us to enjoy, He gave us “dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over the cattle, over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.”
    Knowing that, I follow the theory, enjoy but do not desire. Colossians 3:2 states “Set your mind on things above, not on things on the earth.”

• Renee says:

Hi,Renee from NE Tennessee. Late but planning to be diligent ! My idols are books and crafts. I spend way too much $/time on crafts. Thanks for making this study possible.

• christine says:

Hi,
    Christine from Seattle, Washington and I hope it isn’t to late to join in here. My book is on its way and so I will catch up. Mean while I will just follow along. Excited and looking forward to pressing in even closer to Him. =O)

• Amy says:

Amy from Florida. My modern day idols are training for triathlon’s and working out all around, and fear of not having control.

• Amy says:

Hopefully it’s not too late to join. My name is Amy and I am from Florida. I would say my idol is triathlons and training for them. I spend so much time even when I am tired on this. Another is control and fear of the unknown.

• Allison says:

I am planning to get in on the “No Other Gods” study as soon as I get a workbook. I just finished the “Breaking Free” study at a local church although I frequently visited Women’s Bible cafe to read your wonderful posts about this very deep and personal subject matter. It has been quite a journey facing the strongholds that have been in place since childhood. My husband and I (married for 30 years, 3 adult sons, 1 daughter about to graduate from high school) are relocating to Arizona in 3 weeks, so it will be nice to have people to talk to as I face having an “empty nest” for the first time. I have also been doing the Journey Through the Bible here on facebook since it started last September. We just started Judges. I have learned so much from people all around the world as they comment and share their insights of the meaning of God’s word and how to apply it to our lives. I am looking forward to this opportunity to learn from this group as well.

• Denise says:

Denise from Jackson, MS. I am an interior architect with a passion for our Lord! I just got married in November and left Seaside, FL to be with my husband. We have two dogs and attend and amazing church. It has been a shit in my life to leave a place I love and all my friends, but God keeps renewing me each week! I love my hubby and have started to teach No Other God’s here in Jackson with a new group of ladies.. we are loving the study and learning how to rework our lives Dependant completely on the Lord!

• Pat says:

Pat from TN; modern day idol – food

• Pat says:

My name is Pat from TN. My modern day idol is Food.

• Lil says:

Hi Im Lil from LA and if you cant tell from where I live I am an entertainment Junkie. Netflix,internet, cable, blackberry. I need this study.

• Becky says:

Hi! I’m Becky from El Paso Texas. I am really excited to try an online Bible Study. I enjoy teaching bible study at my church and am looking forward to learning more. My biggest idol is my busyness. I over extend myself and don’t leave time for conversations with God.

• Lil says:

Lil from LA. If you can’t tell from where I am from I am an entertainment junkie film,tv,phone computer and I work in entertainment so it is hard to turn away and this is why this study is crucial. Hope its not too late to join

• Michelle says:

Hi, my name is Michelle, and I’m from Fresno, CA. I hope I’m not too late to join. I really am not sure what my modern idol would be, but I’m hoping to have my eyes opened through this study.

• Renee' says:

My name is Renee’, mother of 3 teen boys, wife, daughter, friend, and employee, to name just a few.

I would have to say that the biggest mondern day idol in my life is my work. I know in my heart that this is not how my life should be dictated and I am eager to begin this study along with Breaking Free. I hope to identify my modern day idols, put them in their proper places, break free from what I need to and identify with God. I know he is there for me, I just need to tap into him and let him help me. I am looking forward to all of the interaction in these groups!

• Tara says:

This will be my first online Bible study. I am thankful for my sister-in-law sharing this site with me. The No Other Gods study couldn’t have come at a more perfect time! I can’t wait to get into it! I would consider myself to be my biggest idol. I somehow allow myself to think that I deserve ________. There are so many things I could have put in the blank that there isn’t enough space in this comment block! I know that as we go through the study God will reveal all kinds of idols that I didn’t even realize were there. May God help us all to be faithful to complete the study, especially when it gets convicting!

• Pam H says:

Hi, I’m Pam from Bellingham, WA. I am looking forward to this study. It is going to be really great to receive your online insights. I am also a Christian artist. Any other artists?

I’m a Christian artist Pam and I teach Christian art classed at my kids school! I just closed my online business today, and will reopen when the price of sterling silver drops. Right now it’s at a 31 year high and the cost of the beads priced me right out of the jewelry market. I had my business 5 years, LifeVerse Jewelry. I’ll be back when the market shifts again. 🙂

• Margie says:

Margie from Philadelphia,Pa
    My every day idol is T.V.

• Elle says:

Is this how you sign up by putting your info in here?

• Kami says:

My name is Kami. I live in Omaha, NE. I work at a church and one of the things I am in charge of is Women’s Ministry. I have never done an online Bible Study before and am very excited to try this. This Bible study excites me for a couple of reasons. 1. The title and topic 2. I am not in charge :O)
    My idols would be computer and my job at church. Sounds funny, but when a person works at church, we tend to think we have to put in all this extra time and always be at church. In reality, it can take away from our time with God (working during church services can you really just be there and be spoken to by God?). It can take time away from your familly (If we are at church all the time… it’s for God right?) We seem to be busy taking care of others, and the next thing we know we are not taking care of ourselves.
    I plan to take the time to study this for myself and give it the time it deserves and make this a priority in my week.
    Thank you for the opportunity. Thank you for the time you are putting into allowing women to take this study (I know how much work it can be).
    Blessing,
    Kami

I’ve been begging the women’s ministry leader at my church to participate, it seems God sent you instead! I’m certain He has something to reveal to you about womens ministry via this online format. Welcome!

• Kim says:

Good Morning! My name is Kim and I am from central Indiana. I too believe I have allowed many modern day idols to invade my life but two of the biggest are definately the TV and the schedules I have allowed my children to participate in! We barely have a moment of quiet time, let alone a real dinner around our OWN kitchen table!! I am really looking forward to re-focusing.

• Amanda A says:

Hi everyone! My name is Amanda and I live in Spartanburg, SC. This is my first online bible study. I really want to both studies. I have had this book for a while now and was very excited to see that it is one of the new studies starting up! The idols I struggle with most in my life are the computer and books.

• Lacey says:

Hi, my name is Lacey and I am from Kansas. I have never done a bible study before because I have never been a small group fan; but, I am wanting to try something new and I felt this was one of the best ways for me to jump in and learn God’s word with women from all over the world. I am willing and ready to learn more about God’s word and walk in his ways. My modern day idol….TV..Facebook..Food

• Jennifer Martin says:

Hi! I am Jennifer from East TN and I am so excited about this study because it is my first! MY modern day idol-the internet/computer.

• Gina says:

Hi Everyone!
    My name is Gina and I’m from Claxton, Georgia. I want to take my walk with the Lord to a deeper level and I’m hoping this study will help with that. I believe that my modern day idol is the internet. I’m looking forward to “gathering” with ladies from all over the world and discovering what God has in store for us!

• LaShawn says:

I’m LaShawn from TN but living in KY. I’d have to say my *current* idol is electronic devices – TV, computer, phone. I am wayyy too connected. Looking forward to resetting my perspective with the study. 🙂

LaShawn
    On twitter: @lashawnb

• Marie says:

I’m Marie from NC and as I was telling Loretta above that I think sugar could be my idol. I do a lot of sugar free, but still I crave it after regular meals. (ok, I actually denied to Loretta that sugar was my idol, calling it a weakness….uggghhhh)

I’m guessing this is what this study is for!

gotta keep it honest marie…gotta keep it honest 🙂

@spreadingJOY

• Rachael says:

My name is Rachael and I am from a small town called Riverdale in California. I am a fourth grade teacher with four very busy children. I live 20 minutes from church and find it difficult to attend the women’s Bible study as it is at a difficult time of the day for me. I am starving to be in a Bible study again. I am very excited about this class. My modern day idol is probably my children.

• Leigh says:

Hi, I’m from Huntsville, AL and this will be my first online bible study along with Breaking Free. My 17 year old son died a year and a half ago and since then, I have been feeling a major pull to put God at the top of my priority list. My modern day idols would be tv, food and computer.

• Kim says:

Kim from Louisville. Modern day idols…..facebook and food. Already took this study once, need to do so again.

• Lisa H says:

Hi All … Lisa H in NC here. I am super excited to be doing this bible study. I wasn’t sure I was going to be able to, but God is good. And … I even got a book for my sister and will show her how to participate here on the site!! (I’m excited about that too!!)

Modern day idol for me: Books! I have sooo many of them that I haven’t read. I just can not seem to not buy books. I have well over 100 in my room (most of them are reference books, but some I haven’t even opened!) as well as over 300 on my kindle (well – all the ones on my kindle I got for free, but still). I love to read and am always doing it, but I’m sure I could hold off on buying any more until I at least got some of these read!
    And Food – this one is not as bad as it was say 8 months ago since my mom got sick, but I still find myself receiving “comfort” from a cookie or two, or a bowl of ice cream, or extra spaghetti on my plate. Strangely enough, in the last year and a half I lost 40 lbs. Gained 12 back. And in the last couple months lost that 12 again. Before losing the 40lbs, I had gained said 40lbs in an 8 month period. I’m thinking there needs to be some sort of balance here :o)
    Sending Peace & Blessings your way …

• Kim says:

Lisa I have that same problem with books. It drives my husband nuts. But I try to go to the used book store as much as possible. within the last month though I have finished two books so I’m proud of myself. Both were great books!

• Natale says:

Hello everyone,

This is really my first online bible study. I have always done them in a church setting.

My modern-day idols are the computer and cellphones. I can often spend more time with them than anything or anyone else if you know what I mean.

I am really looking forward to this study.

• Tracy Comfort says:

Hello everyone! I am so excited about this study. I am taking the Breaking
    Free study at the same. I have so needed this time in the Word. I am a mother of four and a 911 dispatcher who works midnights. I do not get to participate in my church as much as I would like and have really needed to plug in. My family has been going through some tough things this last year and I have been battling depression, and I have really needed this. I’m looking forward to getting to know you all. My idol is myself and food. I always try to control everything instead of turning it over to God and trusting him. When things spin out of control, I eat. I need to learn to put every circumstance in Gods hands.

• Jayce says:

Hi! I am from Huntsville, AL. I am 22 years old and working on degrees in Accounting and Finance. This is my first Bible study online and I am really looking forward to it, as well as the Breaking Free study. I think there are many modern day idols in my life, the biggest of which would be my selfishness and my love of online clothes’ shopping. I definitely have things to work on in my life and I am hoping this study will help. I am looking forward to moving GOD to the top of my to-do list.

• Micki Henderson says:

My name is Micki and I am from Atlanta, Texas. I have come to realize the past few months some of the things in my life that have been an idol to me. I even think the smallest things in your life can be an idol and not realize it. I want to empty out all of the things within myself that are taking priority over God and put God back first in my life. My flesh plays a big factor, as it does in all of us. I want to forget my flesh and be about my Fathers business First!

• Holly says:

Hi, I’m from South Africa, now living in CA…I just finished ‘Stepping Up’ and loved it!! (even though i couldnt finish everything every week). I am very excited about this book and hope I can keep up better this time 🙂 ….. My modern day idol…. I know one of them is the internet (and planning my wedding) … but after thinking some more… it might be that I idolise my companionship/ relationship with my fiancee… I am emotionally dependent on my fiancee and i really want to be dependent more on our Lord instead!

• Joyce Tyson says:

My name is Joyce and I am looking forward to this study. I want to identify anything (money, relationships, comfort zone, etc.) that I potentially rely on more than God.

• Jennifer D says:

Jennifer D, San Antonio, Tx
    What do you think is a modern day idol in your life? Work, but that actualy change recently, because the job I had endend. So I am taking some days to relax and read items. Listen to Beth Moore or any other christian music out their.

• Lilly says:

My name is Lilly.I live in California. I think food is an idol in my life.

• Lisa C. says:

Hi! I’m Lisa from Northern California and I’m so excited about this study. I just ordered my members book and should get it within 2 to 4 days. 🙂 When I think of a modern day idol in my life the first thing that comes to my mind is the internet/Facebook. In the evenings I spend so much time online. That’s how I connect with my friends/family. I’m not a phone talker and with kids and a husband, and working full time I don’t have time to get together with people like some of my friends do. Typically when I have time to talk or get together, other people are either sleeping or their families are sleeping. 🙂 Another thing is reading/books. I love to read. I only have time to read when I go to bed at night, and I read Christian non- fiction books, but wouldn’t it be great if I was reading the Word instead of books? And as a side note, not only does internet/FB and reading keep me from the Word, it also keeps me from getting some of responsibilities done around the house! Anyway, doing a study like this is what I need to get me into the Word. Sharing comments and getting feedback is what keeps me going. Looking forward to getting my priorities straight! 🙂

• Pamela McK. says:

Hi Everyone. I am Pamela from the Chicagoland Area…looking forward to this study. Looking forward to interacting with all of you. God Bless.

• Janice Brittain says:

I am looking forward to my first online Bible Study. I feel like my modern day idol is the computer and TV.

• Kriss says:

Kris from VA; modern day idol – the internet

• Leanne I says:

Hi everyone-

This is my first time to take a bible study like this. I am Super Excited and look forward to what GOD is going to do in my life. I am a military wife who travels around the world and felt this is a good way to get plugged in with other women who fellowship and love the Lord.

• Brook says:

Hi! I’m Brook from St. Louis, Missouri. I did an online study a few summers ago on Nancy Leigh DeMoss and Tim Grissom’s book Seeking Him. Since then I have completed my masters in counseling and have noticed that the sin of idolatry is common in many believer’s lives, including my own. I can take or leave TV, but generally have it on when I study, research, craft or read, and would like to give TV and some of the secular mystery books up.

I think the Lord sent you to us Brook! I was having a phone conversation with Marie and she is going to lead the outreach on the Womens Bible Cafe. Then I had a conversation with Bridget and she is going to lead the life coaching on the Bible Cafe. I told them “we need a counselor, someone skilled in helping women with deep issues, so when we break through, the counselor can direct them to healing.” This conversation was Friday, and today you jumped into our radar! You are God-sent…and may not even know it! 🙂

• Denise says:

Hi, my name is Denise and I’m from Michigan. Really looking forward to doing this bible study. My idol is the computer…I run a business and need to be on the computer/facebook. I just need to monitor my time and set aside time for God and put him first! After I have given God my time, then I can do my business work!! Hopefully this study will help get me on the right track.

• Davie says:

Hi, my name is Davie. I just moved to Tennessee and I’m hoping to get back in the habit of placing God first in my life. I hate to admit that I have any idols, but worse yet, I know I have a laundry list of modern day idols. I have placed God at the bottom of the list. Most of my free time is spent in front of the tv and acquiring all the best material possessions is a controlling desire.

• Rhonda T says:

Howdy!! Ya’ll I am from Texas. I did a Ruth study last summer and am so excited NOG has been chosen for this spring. My idol is I spend to much time doing nothing, making list, thinking, watching some tv. More will surface as I get into the lessons. I need to spend more time studying and praying.

• Christine D says:

Hello! My name is Christine D. I live in Ohio. I am going to join both bible studies. I am excited to do both. I would say my idols are scrapbooking, money, tv, and the wii. I am really looking forward to my first Kelly Minter study. I am hearing a lot of good things about this author.

• Emily M says:

I am looking forward to participating in this online Bible study. I am from South Carolina. I just completed a study with a group of friends based around Beth Moore’s Praying God’s Word which talks to breaking strongholds. I think my modern day idol would be facebook/internet surfing and/or shopping. I think I am doing alot better though since completing the last study. Would worry be considered an idol? I worry ALOT, about money and health. That would maybe be my #1. See you on the 25th!

• Lynmara says:

My name is Lynmara Colon. I am from Puerto Rico, but currently live in Northern Virginia. When it comes to idols….. There are so many. For the past couple of weeks it seemed to be work for me. I was trapped in putting the paperwork to move up.. just move up in my career. I lost focus and as result I got strep twice in a month. God told me to stop. Because I learned in stepping up that the way to God is getting down I was down on my knees almost every day. I look forward to this study.

• Rhoda says:

Not sure what modern day idol may be for me but want to find out…I enjoy Bible study and look forward to quiet time and a cup of fresh brewed coffee and spending time in the Word, meditating and talking to the Lord in the early morning before the busy day begins…I have already done several of Beth Moore Bible studies and First Place 4 Health Bible studies of which Walking in Grace is the one I will finish this week. I found this website last weekend looking for Jesus the One and Only workbooks to give as gifts this Easter and do not think it was merely a coincidence I did. After having led a couple of First Place 4 Health Bible studies with family members by email I commend Christine for having started this. I have already started telling other women about it. Many women that cannot make a weekly meeting time for different reasons can do an online Bible study. Now I can encourage women to connect with a Bible study either indidually, through a church or home group or now ONLINE….I look forward to doing this study with you. I also live in Northern California and reside near Cornerstone Fellowship in Livermore.

Hey Rhonda, we’re neighbors! I also attend Cornerstone and Debbie Alsdorf’s book inspired this ministry. I’m no longer a coffee addict, however I do enjoy my mornings with Jesus. Hope we can meet at Parchments soon, I will also be at the design for Living Conference.

• Tiffany says:

Hey y’all! My name is Tiffany, and I’m from the FL panhandle. My modern day idol is most likely electronics. I spend far too much time watching television, texting, and mindlessly surfing the internet. While I have already started trying to deal with some of these issues, I’m looking forward to spending the next couple of months specifically focusing on the idols that are in my life.

• Karla says:

Hi

Im Karla from Minnesota, I bought this book last time the class was going to start and then family concerns with my parents took me on another path. So I am ready and excited to try it again.

My idols would be work, money and food. I need to let things go and not try and control everything around me. Learn to let God guide me through and let him have the reins for a change.

Karla

• Susie says:

Hi – I’m Susie and I’m from Mountain Home, Arkansas. My modern day idol is most likely myself – I’m selfish and want things my way. I ask God everyday to show me HIS way and and HIS will because I so much desire to do things HIS way and by HIS will. I look forward to doing this study.

• Deb says:

Hello sisters this is my first online Bible study so I am not sure what exactly I am suppose to do to sign up. I am very excited to be a part of this due to not being able to find time to be involved in one at my church. The modern day idols that come to my mind first are food, job, money and the internet (Facebook). When we are all through this study I pray that we are all a little more like Jesus!

Deb

• Laura says:

Hi Ladies,
    My name is Laura and I am from Northern California. I recently got this study and am looking forward to completing it with you sisters in Christ here. My modern day idols are books and exercise. I desire for nothing to come before Him and His rightful place on the throne of my life.

Blessings to each of you.

Laura

• carla says:

Hi all! Carla from Florida!

I am really excited about this b/c since beginning these bible studies last summer, i have gotten so off track when it comes to reading my bible….I’ve definitely let some “modern day idols” get in front of God! School, family, work, you name it, it’s been there! I’m so super excited and ready to put everything back in it’s rightful place 🙂

• Julie says:

My name is Julie. I live in Travelers Rest, SC. I think for me the computer in general is my idol. Blogs, facebook ,email …. and even though the majority of blogs I read are filled with God’s word, they aren’t God’s Word. I’m very involved at my church with Sunday School, Worship, Choir, VBS, Day camps, etc. but I see that I am lacking when it comes to spending time WITH God. I’m very excited to take this journey with you all : )

• Christina C. says:

My name is Christina. I live south of Seattle in Washington State. I think perfectionism is a modern day idol in my life. I want to be okay with things not turning out the way I planned. I don’t have time in my life right now to join a bible study at church (with 2 little ones) so I am super excited about this online bible study!

• Ann Hilliard says:

Hi, Ladies! I’m from Durham, NC and loving this beautiful spring weather…all except the pollen, of course! I am currently co-teaching the Ruth study with 2 more lessons to go. We’re very interested in ‘No Other Gods’ as a future Bible study at our church and I feel that taking this class online with all of you will help me be a better teacher. I think my one idol would be my iPad. I’m very seldom apart from it. Looking forward to studying and worshiping with each of you.

• Gwen says:

Hello ladies, from sunny Mt. Vernon Ohio. This is my first on-line Bible study, so I am feeling my way along. I have shied away from local studies, as I have a lot going on in my life, and was afraid I couldn’t fulfill the weekly commitment. This seems to fill the bill. Modern-day idols – oh my. Probably computer and Facebook for me. And sometimes my quilting. I am so looking forward to this study.

• Shirley Coolidge says:

Hi, my name is Shirley. I have been wanting to do a study for quite a while. Trying to find the time and place to meet with others has been a struggle. I am excited about doing this study. I’m not sure what exactly my modern day idol is but I know God will show me during this study!

• Sherry says:

Hi, I live in a small town near the coast in North Carolina. I guess my idol is probably worry and I need to leave my worries with Jesus and trust him with them instead. I’m really excited about doing an online Bible study and appreciate whoever started this!

• Andie says:

Hello, I live in New Zealand, so I’m in a totally different time zone to most people! I think my idol is the fear of not having enough money! It seems to take up too much thinking time and influences even things like giving to charity.

• Linda White says:

I live in Newfoundland, Canada, and this will be my first online bible study. The title of the study struck a deep cord within my heart, because I am painfully aware that I am putting nearly everything and everyone before my Lord. I recognize that I have an issue with trusting God to direct me. I believe this study will be timely for me. I want to face the idols in my life and, with the help of God and friends, tear them down so that Jesus is firmly established on the throne of my heart. God bless you.

• Erin says:

My name is Erin. I grew up in gulf-south Mississippi, and am settled here again, after many years of travel and working around the country! I am married to my high school sweetheart and we have a 10 month old angel-baby named Patty.
    One of the idols in my life is the internet. Another is work.

• Ashley E. says:

Hello! My name is Ashley, and I am from southern West Virginia. I have never participated in this type of online Bible study, but I find the concept to be very interesting. My modern day idols would definitely have to be the computer and books. I have wanted to have a closer relationship with God for a long time, but for various reasons I haven’t gotten there yet. I’m am very excited to be doing this!

• Manijeh Brooks says:

Hi My name is Manijeh and I am from Wichita, KS. This is my first online Bible study although I have tried others in the past, but seemed to have lost the time in keeping up with them. I am praying this works for me! I have many modern day idols that I have let consume me. The all relate to me being selfish. I would love to just get closer to God again and learn to LET THESE SMALL THINGS GO!!

• Jill T. Johnson says:

Hello, my names is Jill and I am from Wallace, North Carolina. I am on the East Coast and it is finally spring here, yea!!! I have done alot of bible studies but never one on-line so I am really looking forward to this. I guess my modern-day idol is definitely TV, the computer, food. . . . the list could go on. I live in a small town and have always had to drive a ways to do diffent bible studies. I have been desiring to get back into a study but with family, work, etc., it has been hard to travel to one. I am soooo excited to join this on-line study. I am ready to re-focus and fall back in love with God. Thanks for this wonderful opportunity!!

• Victoria says:

Christine, I’m back!

My name is Victoria, and I live in Conway AR. A modern day idol in my life—I would have to say just trying to keep up with the world-physically, financially…PERFECTIONISM has got me down!

I started doing Bible studies with my friend through WomensBibleCafe when we all did Ruth! That is probably our favorite so far. I’ve also done Jonah and Living Beyond Yourself! Loved them!

But my friend and I are going to do No Other Gods with you all! Very excited! After we finish NOG we are going to do Breaking Free!

Cannot wait to get started with ya’ll! Have a good one!

I’m doing to happy dance to see your face again Victoria!! I love learning with you 🙂

• Victoria says:

Aww thanks! Me too! I’m so very excited! May go to Little Rock to Lifeway tonight to get my book and possibly a cute spiral notebook to fill up with notes and scripture reference and homework questions!

I just love a notebook full of words! Especially about God’s Word!

Love y’all!!!!

• Monique says:

Hello, my name is Monique. I am from Alabama. I have been unemployed for almost two years and I am starting to get frustrated. It seems like the more I seek God, the more difficult things become. I know thats because my “breakthrough” is coming and the enemy knows it. My faith is still strong and the enemy definitely wants to break that and make me doubt God. I want to join a Bible Study thats different from the norm. I get feeds from the Twitter page and I love it! My modern day idol would be reality tv shows. I am so looking forward to this Bible study!

• Brystan says:

My name is Brystan (like Kristin only with a ‘B’). I am from Ashland, Or. I have only been here almost a year. This move brought me to a new house, and a new school and also a new faith. Finally at age 23 I have found my faith and I want to learn more about God. This is my first group Bible study, and I am very excited.

• Sandi Wood says:

Hi Ladies,
    I’m Sandi from southeast Tennessee. Praise God we finally have sunshine! One of my most consuming idols is the computer. How ironic that I am going to do an online Bible Study! Well, at least that will be that much LESS time being spent on Face Book, Ancestry.com or playing Free Cell!

• Karen says:

I can’t wait to join this one!! I have seen a couple of patients in the MD office I work in with this one. I am currently working on Stepping Up. WHAT AN EXPERIENCE! As I climb each step I see and feel myself going higher and deeper in God. Thank you Lord for this experience and this group of people!

• loretta says:

Karen, I work in a private clinic as well. I love it when my coworkers & or collegues ask me for advise or direction or “what do you think about this?” and it isn’t pertaining to work or profession. It is a personal issue(s).

People come into my office for refuge *they say they come in for peace before they explode or “go off and do something I’ll regret”. They tell me this all the time.

However, they don’t come in if the other person is in there that I share the office with. She has some demonic forces and spirits influencing her.

I don’t fret because I have Almighty God. But nevertheless the 3 of us Christians know and feel the spiritual battle every single day. We pray and rebuke and battle daily holding each other accountable.

It’s so sweet when I print something out on the printer, like a devotional or my bible study questions, etc… and often because of me being so busy I will forget about them then later go out to find, by then someone has picked them up and read them when I come looking for them and they will ask me to explain and if what I have printed out and ask if it is true. Early last year I even lead to a co-worker to Christ and for her birthday I purchased her a beautiful Study Bible as she started going to church! She is still attending with her 5 yr old son and 1 year old daughter. she is a single mother. Halleluyah!God is so good.

Initially when people ask, I will want to respond how my heart feels in the flesh to their questions, but I take a step back and be quiet and have them try to answer what they think they should do, then I remember what God’s Word says to do and offer that to them.

They ALL know that is my “angle” including the MD’s,and MD Clinical Director (who doesn’t believe in God) she told me. I will go to what God says first even though I know there are a few of them if not all of them that are not Christians, or don’t believe in God at all (including the other medical ancillary staff. Lets just say there are 3 of us to about 20+ non Christians. I don’t care. I don’t beat them over the head but stay as true as I can and try to be one of the lights He sent there. The director or supervisor have never asked me to take my scriptures down or get my Bible off my desk. Or stop talking about God/ or Jesus. The day that comes, I will have to go into my prayer closet and probalby have to leave…if God tells me it’t time to move on.

It’s ok because only God is needed to outnumber them. So the 3 of us Christians plus God a great match.

It is amazing to watch what He does daily as He gives us so much favor, peace amongst the dysfunction and chaos. Praise His holy Name!

Oh well all that to say I can identify with you about God touching lives everywhere under any and all circumstances.

• Loretta says:

Hello,
    My name is Loretta. I am from Seattle Washington. I feel think sugar is ny modern day idol as well as books. Although the books are Christian books,that speak to my heart about circumstances in my life, you name it, I’ve read it from Beth Moore to Elizabeth George, to Lysa Terkeurst… all of them. My personal library is truly extensive, at least 6 bookshelves and i think they are 6 feet high and 5 shelves deep. I have read them all. And still buy more! I have to be honest and say I pick them up first instead of The Good Book. So books would be my other modern day idol. Looking forward to the Bible Study. I am going to try and do both “Breaking Free” in which I read the book on my own years ago but didn’t do a Bible Study with it.
    I will pray about it and see what the Lord has for me.
    Blessings from Washington State

• Marie says:

I can understand this! Sugar and books are a huge weakness of mine as well. Not sure that I would classify them as idols but the sugar can’t be far from it.

hmmm – denial – what does THAT say about me…? LOL

looking forward to the study with everyone.

@spreadingJOY

• Deb says:

Sugar is definitely an idol for me. It is hard for me to comprehend sugar as being an idol but it definitely has control of me.

• loretta says:

I only say the books being my idols even if they are part of my Spiritual growth because I tend to reach for one or more of them first before going to my Bible.I have about 6 going at this present time along with 2 Bible Studies.

I actually have so many (a mini bookstore of sorts)I had at aone time considered donating them to my church to open up a library, but decided not to because almost every line in everybook is highlighted, along with comments like ” I can identify with that” , or “that is me totally”m or my most popular one “Thank you Lord Jesus for seperating me out of the world and saving me from myself”. What does that say about me? It seemed everything was speaking to me. Particularly books on Hearing God, Spiritual Warfare,etc….Tahnk you for indulging my long comment again 🙂

My direction and encouragement should come from the Lord first. I do believe that it is ok for me to read other peoples books, again they are all Christian based books, non-fiction. Or I read professional journals, articles, books. Not romance or mystery or any of that. Just peoples theorys, commentaries, or testimonies, bible studies etc.
          Sugar is an idol again because instead of going to God with what is troubling me, I look for chocolate or a diet rootbeer for temporary solace.
          Hope that explaines it a little better.

• Nancy says:

H My name is Nancy and I am from Saskatchewan, Canada. I am finding myself in a barren land right now where God feels very far away. My modern day idol that I have recognized recently is my desperate need for approval. Looking forward to the study.

• Margie says:

My name is Margie and I am from Liberty, MO. This is my first on line Bible study and I’m so looking forward to it.

• Sue T says:

My name is Sue and I am from Guernsey, U.K.

There are a few modern day idols in my life….facebook and researching autism are the biggies.

Cant wait to get started!

• Julianna says:

Hi everyone!

My name is Julianna and I am from Columbia, South Carolina. I think my modern day idol is the computer. I am definitely a computer geek!

• Mary Tullila says:

Hi I’m Mary from Birmingham Alabama. Looking forward to this study and meeting all of you! I believe the idol that takes up residence in me is the pain of suicide loss. I wear it as a banner on my bad days. This is not what our Lord desires for me I know. Isaiah 61;1-3 speaks of Beauty from Ashes…a new garment of JOY. This is what my heart desires….that grief will not destroy me. That a new testimony of GRACE will live on …

• Deb says:

Mary I am sorry for the loss of your loved one. I pray that you will find the comfort and strength from our Heavenly Father to go on.

Hi, my name is Angie and I’m from Kansas City, Missouri. This will be my first Kelly Minter study and I’m really looking forward to it. TV is definitely a modern day idol in my life.

Susan, Chesapeake

I’m going to join the Kelly Minter study — and I think the idol I probably struggle with is, well, I admit everything . . .all too often I am guilty of putting my family, my work . . .my fear, my selfishness before God . .

gosh, that was humbling to share.

• Suzy says:

Suzy, Michigan. I too am going to try to do both studies. I know God has been dealing with me on certain modern day idols, which include my son (I know, I was surprised when someone mentioned that to me and I realized it is true), and Facebook can be, but I’ve really cut back on FB. I’m excited to start this study!

Lauren, Kentucky… I”m going to try both of these at once. With God, all things are possible! My modern day idol is… Facebook! I’ve really tried to limit my time… I don’t want to completely quit, though, because I have some very good friends that I feel like I need to stay in touch with. I do use it to post uplifting statuses, too… but I know that I have to put God first. Shewww…. that hurt typing that, but the truth will set you free (ok, maybe I’m getting my studies mixed up)… Did Ruth last summer and love, love, love Kelly Minter. So glad that there’s this forum available. Love each and every one of you! <3

• Sharon says:

Sharon, Fort Worth, Texas. A modern day idol in my life is tv. I am improving with this though and putting better things in my mind and when I do watch it make sure it is something God would approve of (can be hard to find)…This is my first Minter study and I just picked up the book last week knowing I would be joining in when I looked at the schedule. So I’ll be doing both studies. Excited!

• Pam, Louisiana says:

Hello, I have never attempted her workbooks. But, I am very excited to get started on this one as well. Up until Jan 2011, my idols were scrapbooking, cardmaking and ebay shopping. The LORD placed a birth in me in January to study his word more and more. Since then, I have been so blessed and learned quite a few things about myself that needed changing. I have come to the point that I have a deep learning desire for His Word. My preacher has been preaching on the Intimacy with God and how the closest disciple to hear Jesus’ heartbeat was John. I want this intimacy with Him. So I am hoping that this will let me see if I have any other idols that I am not aware of.

• Doris says:

I’m from Arkansas. I joined a Bible study at a local church studying No Other Gods, but was not able to attend all of the lessons. Looking forward to this. I’m new at the on line Bible study. I guess my idol would be clothes. I love to sew.

• gracie bost says:

I know what you mean about sewing. My idols are embroidering and Facebook.. If I’m not embroidering I’m scanning the internet for new designs of course on FACEBOOK
      I’m also always taking care of grand babies
      Also restoring an old farm house.
      God? Well, thats why I’m doing this bible study.
      I really need to put God 1st in my life instead of it seems like he may be just wedged in here somewhere.
      Strongholds? Looks like I’ve got them.

• gracie bost says:

Also from Arkansas

• Sue Fisher says:

Hi I’m Sue from Kingsburg, CA. I would have to be in Sue Alice’s camp – my idols would be TV and books as well. I always have a book in my hand —- even in front of the TV!

Going to try doing the 2 studies at the same time – we’ll see how it goes!

Under His wing!
    Sue

Hi, my name is Sue Alice, and I am from Greenwood, IN. Been here for almost two years or longer. So come and enjoy everyone. Spring is here also. My modern day idol would be books and the T.V. The T.V. i can do without but not the books.

Blessings to all. I cannot wait to get started. See you all than.

• Connie says:

What kind of books do you consider an idol?

Connie,

Sorry, I have not been back here for awhile. Any book that takes me away from studying the WORD. I read mostly Christiann books now, but before IT was anything I could get my hands on. If you like some titles, just ask and if it is okay with Christine i will give you some titles. Thanks for the post. Blessings.

• Jane says:

I have had this book since the end of last summer. I did Kelly’s study “Ruth” last summer and had planned to do “No Other Gods” for the fall. A lot went on in my life and the study got pushed back. I was wanting to do it this summer, but maybe I can do it with you. Modern day idol–you name it. I have gotten better with so many of them but know I still have work to do. Looking forward to hearing more about this study.

From eastern North Carolina–where spring has sprung!!!!

Jane,

This is a great place to be. I too have had the book for awhile. I did “Ruth” here last summer…great study. So happy to have you join us. Blessing to you.

Sue Alice

My name is Christine, I’m from Northern California and I am leading this study. I think food is a modern day idol in my life and I’d like to break its stronghold over me. I look forward to meeting you and starting our study together 🙂