MML Week Five: God in the Center of Your Thought Closet

Welcome back to our fifth week of Me, Myself and Lies online bible study. It seems obvious that we should place God at the center of our thought closets, yet Jennifer Rothschild spent this week of study explaining to us why it is often not the case. She reminds us our mind is like a bookshelf with some new volumes and some dusty heirlooms. As we examined our life books, we opened some pages of past memories and determined if our thoughts were friendly or destructive. She explains “our recollections become friends when we learn from them and allow them to represent God’s benefits. They turn into enemies when we avoid, glorify or ignore them.” I loved it when Jennifer said “tell your soul to look back only to what is profitable,” and then she went on to demonstrate thoughts that sit in alignment with God’s benefits.

On page 113 in our workbooks, we completed an exercise on soul talk. I wish we were in a room together, because I’d love for us to intimately share our answers. I can only say… I signed my letter
sincerely, The Brat!”  Then I re-wrote my letter and reversed the words so it became positive soul talk, centered on God benefits.

My favorite quote this week summarizes our entire study:

If we are the center of a thought closet crammed with grumbling, we will clothe ourselves in the tight bright clothing of me, myself and I. -Jennifer Rothschild

We have several new prayer requests, please visit the Prayer Wall and give your voice to the needs of these women. We welcome any prayer needs from the group. If you have a prayer request for our prayer wall, please click here.

Jennifer Rothschild Quotes

• As your thought closet is filled with the truth of God’s benefit, your life will be wardrobed with His character.
  • Complaining always reveals a lack of humility and plenty of self-centeredness.
  • We need to tell ourselves to lift up God; otherwise we will naturally lift up ourselves.
  • The purpose in attending to your temple is not so you will bring honor to the temple; it is to bring honor to the One who dwells in your temple.

This Week’s Scripture Verse

Using Psalm 103: 3-5  NIV,  insert your name into the poem and read aloud:

Praise the LORD __________’s soul,

and forget not all his benefits-

who forgives __________’s  sins
and heals __________’s diseases,

who redeems __________’  life from the pit
and crowns __________’s with love and compassion,

who satisfies __________’s desires with good things
so that __________’s youth is renewed like the eagle’s.

• Register for the next online bible study Stepping Up Through Psalms
  • Read Week Six in the workbook
  • Listen to the Session Six Audio or Session Six Video (optional)

1. What do you think the difference is between thoughts becoming friend or foe? (page 103 )
  3. Do you have an emblem or keepsake that expresses to your family the benefits of God? If so, describe it. (page 109)
  4. Share a special memory from this week’s lesson.

• Jennifer D says:

Share a special memory from this week’s lesson
    I extremely like about having a library in your mind. I would have never thought that all the items in my mind could be categorized as a library. It is amazing how many categories that you would have. You would hope that you would not have a lot of categories.

1.What do you think the difference is between thoughts becoming friend or foe? (page 103 )
    What our perspective is… we (or I) tend to key in on the negatives of the memories… and forget the good in things. As we focus on mistakes we made, ways we messed up, or what might have made us look less than perfect, it becomes a way of beating ourselves up.
    2.Isaiah 61:3 NIV reminds us we wear a crown of beauty, oil of gladness and a garment of praise. Which of these wardrobe items needs your attention the most in your current season of life? Why?
    Oil of gladness. I am trying to me more grateful. God has blessed me so much, but so often I forget this, or choose to think about what I dont have…. I need to remember that through God, I can dance in the rain…
    3.Do you have an emblem or keepsake that expresses to your family the benefits of God? If so, describe it. (page 109)
    Not really… but my son and I try to pray together every night, and I have been trying to help him memorize scripture.
    4.Share a special memory from this week’s lesson.
    I love the verses on page 122. I’ve been trying to focus on losing weight and doing better with exercise, so it helps to read that I am God’s temple and it is a lovely dwelling place. Also, when Jennifer asked about prioritizing to make His temple a true focus, I was reminded again about prioritizing what is important to make Him first.

Sorry this is so late… I’m trying to catch up.

• Marietta says:

The difference is in whether I choose to allow them to lead me into a learning experience with God, or not.

The oil of gladness needs my attention now because I tend to drift into anger and resentment.

4.Share a special memory from this week’s lesson.

I am finding that this series is becoming more enjoyable. Whenever I can I am finding answers to her questions which are uplifting and blessing me. There is much less resistance.

• Mindy says:

I think the difference is the feelings we attach to them.

Oil of gladness…. gratefulness and appreciation of what God has given me because I often focus on the things I don’t have.

No, I don’t believe we do.

4.Share a special memory from this week’s lesson.

I appreciated reading about the grumbling Isrealites. God provided for all their needs, as he does mine. But they had specific things they wanted or missed, and they complained about not having those, as I do, even though God was fully with them and had incredible plans for them, as he does me.

• Anne says:

1. My thoughts become my foe when I dwell on my own desires. I end up creating an entire selfish justification in my mind for being angry with others (husband) who didn’t fulfill my expectations. It is irrational and selfish.
    2. I loved reading about the wardrobe. I think the oil of gladness spoke most to me. You can see that “shine” in others who wear it for God.
    3. I don’t have a keepsake that reminds me of God’s gifts. The crosses I have in my home and the ones that I wear remind me of how much God sacrificed for me. I like the idea that Yvette wrote about – keeping a family praise journal. That sounds like great reading for each New Year’s Eve.
    4. I have learned so much during this study and this week especially I feel that God is trying to direct me to pass on the gifts He has so generously given me to others. I feel that I have a lot to share with others who may not be sure that God loves them and will provide for them. I have testimony to share, but first I need to purge those selfish thoughts from my thought closet. The devil is trying very hard to focus my attention on painful memories this week. I know God is providing this study for me and others to put us on the path he wants for us. I am focusing on Phillippians 2:4 this week – …..consider others more important than ourselves.”

• Yvette Cla says:

1. My feelings become a foe when a problem especially w/n the family arise. I tend to jump in my flesh instead of jumping in my spirit. Dwelling on those false thoughts instead of the facts of God’s word.

2.The wardrobe I feel could use my most attention right now is the praise for the spiirt of heaviness. It’s the yet praise that can seem hard to do when you are looking at the problem more than our God. Yet with a last situation that arose recently, I said to myself I can either stay in the flesh just give it to God. I am a witness that when I chose to give it to God, a peace overwhelm me and I was able to endure it better and I praise God for that!

3. what keepsake that expresses to my family (husband) the benefits of God is my praise journal. Each time the Lord answers a prayer or grants a desire, write it down and at the end of the year, I go through it and it blesses my soul each time. Shared the concept with my family and my mom loved the idea.

4. A special memory from this week lesson that REALLY hit home for me was the grumbles in the thought closet. I was murmuring all the time, particularly at work as the female co-workers make up for some interesting experiences. What I didnt realize is murmuring root is selfishness. I never thought doing so was selfish. Then Phillippians 2:14 states Do all things w/o murmuring and disputings. I was like whoa. I had to repent and ask the Holy Spirit to help me in this area as it seemed to be the norm for me. Praise God for correction!

• Lynmara says:

1. My thoughts become my friend when they mean acceptance. To be honest I am tired of it. Having negative thinking lead from the enemy can make you feel crazy!!! That explains depression. Now I get how it can ruin you mentally and physically.

2.For me is the oil of gladness. I have been getting really good at praising lately. God fills me with the security.

3. I do not have one and it bothers me. I have a cafe and bistro emblem in my kitchen and nothing Christian .? I’m getting on this.

4. I can’t believe it almost over. I have learned so much!,,

• Renee says:

1. The difference is the feelings the memories create.
    2. A garment of praise; to think about what went right.
    3. I do not. I recently moved my mother from assisted living to the nursing home. Then after 5 months there she passed away. I recall on both occasions: getting rid of stuff on the first move and then deciding what to keep or throw away when she died. It struck me how our lives get reduced down to some things and how these things end up in the trash. Imagine your life being reduced down to one box of stuff and then that box of your keepsakes gets reduced down to an item or two someone decides to keep; the rest is tossed away. It is a sobering discovery.

• Ann M. says:

2. My closet would benefit from updating my oil of gladness. I was very convicted by the thoughts on complaining and grumbling. Many things have weighed heavy on my heart this winter. It is time to shake off everything that hinders me and step out in gratitude.

3. My parents were not rich or beautiful but they were both Christian warriors. Both went to be with the Lord in the second half of 2010. One keepsake I have is one of my mother’s rings. It is a simple ring with the four birthstones of her children. When I wear it or see it, it reminds me of God’s faithfulness, & love, and the rich heritage I have had. To God be the glory.

• Karen says:

1.If I dwell on something negative for very long, it produces fear,insecurity,and a lack of faith = foe.I do this one the most:(
    When I dwell on the Lord’s benefits and the truth of his word, that produces faith and love = friend.:)
    2.This season of my life needs the garment of praise.I am blessed everyday by the Lord, but I tend to focus on what is going wrong,what did go wrong and what will go wrong.That does not glorify God. It is totally self centered. No wonder I am always angry.duh….see I beat myself again. help!!!
    3.No I don’t have an emblem, but I am going to be creative and get one.
    Help me creator!!!
    4.I am very concious of my health: I exercise and eat healthy but that is only honoring my body externally, I am working on Glorifying the Lord with my whole self. MY Mind ;thoughts, my Body; physical, spiritual and my Soul; I will Love and Praise him in the storm. I can’t do this on my own only the Lord and Holy Spirit can transform me.
    I will meditate on the benefits of the Lord.

1. What do you think the difference is between thoughts becoming friend or foe? For me also it is those emotions they are just so pesky and bothersome things….they just get the best of me sometimes….okay most of the times. The more they pop up they become my foes. My emotions rule my life and I need to stop letting them take over my life.

2. Isaiah 61:3 reminds us to wear a crown of beauty, oil of gladness and a garment of praise. Which of these wardrobe items needs your attention the most in your current season of life? Why? Crown of beauty for my body is not a temple of God….I do not eat right and have health problems that affect my weight, so I feel ugly all the time. Also I have never been able to accept compliments very well, and my husband gets upset over it….also I am not very affectionate toward him, due to the way I was brought up…..causes problems.

3. Do you have an emblem or keepsake that expresses to your family the benfits of God? If so, what is it? My cross is made of rubys; it reminds me of the blood Jesus shed for my sins on the day of His death on the cross.

4. Share a special memory from this week’s lesson. That I just need to make my body more of a temple for Jesus.

• Sandy says:

1. What do you think the difference is between thoughts becoming friend or foe? Like Christine, it is my emotions. Likewise, the more emotional the experience the more foes in my thought closet. I allow my emotions to have such an influence on me.

2. Isaiah 61:3 NIV reminds us we wear a crown of beauty, oil of gladness and a garment of praise. Which of these wardrobe items needs your attention the most in your current season of life? Why? A crown of beauty because I struggle with feeling beautiful. I deflect any compliments given to me and that hurts my husband. I’ve struggled with believing that God finds me beautiful. But He created me…and all His creations are beautiful. This is something I practice speaking to myself.

3. Do you have an emblem or keepsake that expresses to your family the benefits of God? Pennies! We find pennies and see them as messages from God. They are a reminder, “In God We Trust”. There have been times of sadness and feeling alone, that I’ve looked down and found a penny. It feels like a big hug from God and a reminder that He is with me always.

4. Share a special memory from this week’s lesson. As difficult as it is to see in myself, I connected with the grumbling and “all about me”. I’ve spent a lifetime feeling insecure and beating myself up. So I’ve had a life full of selfishness and self-centeredness. I’m so tired of me! The verse I chose from page 114: Psalm 19:14 Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in Your sight, O LORD, my strength and my Redeemer.

I also connected with the lesson on our body as a temple. (It’s been a tough week!) I obsess over the outside and over exercise. I know I need balance but have struggled in how to have that. This has been an issue that causes anxiety for me. I’ve created a habit of focusing more on my temple and not it’s purpose.

1. What do you think the difference is between thoughts becoming friend or foe? For me, its my darn emotions. The more emotional the experience, the more my thought becomes my foe. When I see beauty in the thought, it becomes friend.

2. Isaiah 61:3 NIV reminds us we wear a crown of beauty, oil of gladness and a garment of praise. Which of these wardrobe items needs your attention the most in your current season of life? Why? Crown of beauty, because I am not honoring God with my temple. I’m overweight, I do not exercise and I eat whatever my kids are eating. My physical appearance does not reflect the beauty of His crown.

3. Do you have an emblem or keepsake that expresses to your family the benefits of God? If so, describe it. We love jewelry, so everyone in my family and extended family wears something to remind them of the Word.

4. Share a special memory from this week’s lesson. I really connected with the lesson on our body as a temple.If I continue to carry this thought in my heart, I believe I will change some personal habits and start to honor my temple.