What’s Happening at the Womens Bible Cafe

By January 30, 2011Misc

As we end the first month of 2011, I wanted to post a quick update on what’s happening at the Women’s Bible Cafe. We are half-way through the study of Me, Myself and Lies by Jennifer Rothschild and we are completing the last few weeks of Beth Moore’s bible study of Jesus the One and Only. Please don’t worry if you fall behind on the reading, simply grab a cafe drink, your bible and workbook, then spend time with God. I’ve personally fallen behind in both workbooks and then discovered it takes 30 minutes per session to catch-up. It’s a easy task to accomplish, as long as your heart is willing.

If you’ve made excuses and convinced yourself it’s too late to catch-up, move on and don’t carry a burden of guilt and shame. Allow the Holy Spirit to convict you of your intimacy with God, then start again with the next study. Never allow the enemy to steal your JOY and your intimacy with God. Try and try again until you establish a reading rhythm and daily habit of being in the presence of God. Self-discipline doesn’t happen overnight, it takes some time to build. In the valley of your struggle, the enemy is lurking waiting to say “you failed. I knew you couldn’t keep the commitment.” Brush the little pest off your shoulder, claim your spiritual territory, and move forward and closer to God. Pray and ask God to open your heart during your workbook study.

• Satan tries to keep us from prayer. He tries to position himself between us and God. But he scampers like a spooked dog when we pray. Max Lucado 1/30/11 via Twitter
  • Satan isn’t troubled when we go to church. But his knobby knees tremble when we pray . Max Lucado 1/29/11 via Twitter

Please continue to share your comments and favorite moments in the study. We learn from each other and I am greatly blessed by your presence. Your comments encourage and motivate me. Even if you just stop by and say “I’m enjoying the study” you’re contributing to the group format. Make your presence known- we love to hear from you!

At the end of the February, we’ll launch Stepping Up: A Journey Through the Psalms of Ascent a six-week bible study by Beth Moore. If you are participating, you can get a copy of the workbook from Lifeway stores now, instead of waiting until just prior to starting the study. There will be a sign-up page for this study in about one week, if you subscribe to the blog by email you’ll see the announcement. If you’d like to know more about our online bible studies, please visit the FAQ- Frequently Asked Questions page, click here.

If you have any questions for me, please email me using the Contact Us form.

• Tina says:

Blessings Christine and all sister’s,
    What a blessing to be a part of this place to get encouragement and great studies!!
    GOD is truly blessing this online support and encouragement site and teaching!!
    I am so thankful!!
    Looking forward to what is ahead here as we grow in CHRIST together!!!
    In CHRIST love and service,
    Tina

I’m still reading the book Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World and I think it should be required reading for any woman who commits to bible study! Here is something I read last night, very appropriate for our discussion:

“What it really came down to was I only met with God when I felt like it. And that, I was learning, just wasn’t enough. If I wanted to be filled with God on a more consistent basis, I had to determine to let myself be stretched, to make room for the Better Part a daily basis on my life. And that would mean learning to abandon my emotions as a compass and start exercising my will.” Joanna Weaver

• Jenny says:

Christine,

Well i am behind in MML, one because I did not join until late, and another because the book did not arrive as soon as I expected but 3rdly, and most enjoyably, is that I am really enjoying the material. This study is a direct hit for me. I have been away from church and God for some time, you know, saved as a child, stayed active through my early teens, wandered away, came back, wandered again….typical story. I’ve been through some rough times the last few years but God gave me a beautiful anchor, my husband of almost 2 years, as my guardian angel.

While I continue to thank God for the wonderful gift he has provided, I’ve been feeling his pull to come back closer to him and this study is getting me back into the Word, in an area that I really need help in.

And I keep finding things in there that I had forgotten about, or didn’t find relavent at the time. So it slows me down while studying. So I may not be right there with you all, but rest assured, I am behind you and will be following along.

And I may have talked my sister who lives 300 miles away into joining me in this study. What a great thing to share together.

Thanks for everything and I will be checking in.

Jenny

Thank you for sharing Jenny. Sometimes I too marinate on the words~ I like to sit in His Presence and absorb the lesson.

• Jenny says:

Wow, I never thought of it like that. I thought of it as getting off track, distracted. Thank you. Wow, so I was distracted by God. Look at how wonderful he is!

God doesn’t distract us from intimacy with Him, Satan does. Father of lies. He’ll tell us we’re too busy, too far behind, not as knowlegable as the other women in the study, etc, etc. When we draw away from God the hand of the enemy is at work.

I had to find a method to keep me on track and accountable, so I became a bible study leader. Some other ideas are to start a blog and write a summary of your bible study each week, or take one of the discussion questions and write a blog post about it. You can also do this on Twitter and Facebook, posting some of the wonderful quotes from the book authors.

Another suggestion is to find a study partner, at home or at work, and once a week get together and review your workbook notes. If you have distance family, why not study with a sister, daughter or mom in another state, and then call each other once a week to discuss the lesson.

The key to developing self-discipline in bible study is 1) getting started 2) creating accountability 3) stay in a rhythm

I once heard a pastor say “Christians need to be self-feeders. They can’t come to church and expect us to feed them, they need to feed themselves when they’re not at church.” We can do this through bible study, Christian music and Christian books. Think of yourself as a tiny fish in need of food- the Word of God.

Christine,

I am behind on Jesus One and Only, but I am not behind on MML…this was due to a big SATAN ATTACK on me this last week, but hope to catch up today. I liked your comment “brush that little pest off your shoulder.” Thanks for making this a no shame zone. Thanks for being here. Blessing.

• Lisa H says:

Thank you very much for the encouragement Christine. I’m always beating myself up when I miss some supposed deadline or something. I love the “brush that little pest off your shoulder” comment. Wonderful! Peace and Blessings to you 🙂

When I first started bible study, I would fall behind and quit because I was ashamed and did not feel worthy enough to sit in a small group of women who completed their homework. Clearly it was the hand of Satan condemning me. Jesus would have spoken gently to me saying “Start over and try again. Come closer to me and know my heart.” The more I stayed with my lessons, the more intimacy I had with Jesus to the point I was craving His presence each day of my life. 🙂

• Karen says:

Thank you Christine. I also, start strong with great anticipation and joy with each new bible study. I love learning and growing close to my Savior. I also have a busy life that often takes me from my studies and closeness with the Lord. I get behind and quit. Thank you for encouraging me to continue with my study even if I get behind.