One and Only Week 8: The Answer

Congratulations on finishing eight weeks of Jesus the One and Only– we have just two weeks remaining in our study. This has been one of my favorite Beth Moore studies, as we explore the life of Jesus and the pages of Luke. It has also been one of the most difficult to complete, because of the length of the study and the interruptions of a busy holiday season. I am thankful for the effort and commitment you are all making, because the study is rich with knowledge and spiritual growth. I have not wanted to miss one morsel of Luke, so I’ve been reading the chapters that Beth Moore is skipping.

This week we studied the ten lepers and the significance if their cleansing by Jesus. Beth gives this historical event a fresh perspective, when she explains the religious customs of the time period. How powerful the story becomes when we view it with historical lenses.  We saw Zacchaeus climb a tree and entertain the Lord in his home, and we ended the week with a look at the return of Jesus. Be sure to share your favorite lesson from the week during the group discussion and post a comment below.

Since I never learned the Zacchaeus Wee Little Man song, I found a version on YouTube and included it here for you to see!

We welcome any prayer needs from the group and ask that you will print a copy of the prayers, place them, in your workbook and pray for these women. If you have a prayer request for our prayer wall, please click here.

Beth Moore Quotes

• God never confronts to condemn. He confronts to complete what is lacking.
  • An important part of maturing as a Christian is knowing how to receive a rebuke.
  • With Christ we are so much, but we often act far less than who we are.
  • They feel excluded from the body of Christ when their shame is displayed for all to see.
  • Better to look and hurt than to ignore and grow hard.
  • Healing makes us think of the Healer, not just ourselves.
  • God honors the pure hearted-pursuit of His will.
  • God honors obedience even when we’re kicking and screaming.
  • Our society is presently being  sexually assaulted by the devil.

This Week’s Scripture Verse-NIV

Preach the word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage—with great patience and careful instruction. 2 Timothy 4:2 NIV

For you know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that though he was rich, yet for your sake he became poor, so that you through his poverty might become rich. 2 Corinthians 8:9 NIV

You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. Jeremiah 29:13 NIV

• Read Week Nine in the workbook
  • Listen to the Session Nine Audio or the Session Nine Video (optional)

1. How does unforgiveness cause further sin? (page 174 )
  2. Why do you think it is so hard for the rich to enter the kingdom of God? (page 180 )
  3. What is the most noticeable difference Christ has made in your life? (page 187 )
  4. Share something you enjoyed from this week’s lesson.

• Carin says:

Blessed to be on vacation with Wifi…Hoping to completely catch up for Stepping Up..

I had never heard the “Wee Man” song either. Thanks for finding it…thought it was cute.

1. Unforgiveness cause further sin-
    Most of the time it develops into anger, resentment etc…It usually ends up hurting me more than the person I am not forgiving. Sometimes the person I am angry at doesn’t even know it I am upset with them!

2. Rich entering the Kingdom of God-
    It is where the heart is. Is my heart with my bank account and possessions? Even though this question is on page 180, I found the point that Beth made on page 187 sum it up the most. God isn’t looking to take away our possessions he looking for us to make his son his greatest possession! Loved that !!

3. What is the most noticeable difference-
    Life practice- Money -God gave us plenty & we didn’t use it right. He took business away from us so that we learned how to draw and lean on him to provide. It was life changing for us. A great testimony that I am doing this study on vacation means that God even provided some time away for us. Reiterating that God provided not us….

4. Enjoyed most this week-
    Since money is an issue for me in this time of my life. The wee little man story really stood out to me the most. First a great testimony that God designs us for a reason. Zacchaeus was short. God had a purpose on how he designed him. I am sure he had “short man syndrome” and can just imagine that contributed to his greed. He had to have felt so guilty about his greed and wealth that as soon as Jesus told him to come down he immediately wanted to give things away. This story really stood out to me.

• Magaly says:

I’m late on responding, sorry. I started school in December and things are hectic with my school and learning a new accounting program at work. OK!

Now in regards to unforgiveness.
    It leads to bitterness, resentment, rage, hardening of the heart and ulcers!! It is a cancer which just eats away at you. The word states that we MUST forgive just as God forgave us. So the forgivenes for our good. When I stuck on forgiving someone, the Holy Spirit reminds me of ALLLLL the things God has forgiven ME for and that pretty much ends THAT argument (ha!ha!)

Now to talk about my favorite subject; Jesus and redemption!! My life is gift from God. I could have died in my sin (I overdosed in 2005) but GOD!! Since I ran into the arms of MY SAVIOR, my whole life has changed! He has restored my relationships with my parents, my children and me (with me!) Today He is my Lover, my Best Friend, my Hope & my Strength. My life is His. I have seen His love reach the prisoners, the homeless, the addicted, the prostitutes, the gang members (I had one scared that I was going to hug him!! I’m 5’5, he was 6ft. Don’t be fooled – the enemy knows what Jesus can do!) And life just keeps getting better and better (no matter what it looks like!).

I love this whole book. I sit read and cry. God’s love is so endless that it baffles my mind!! Thank you Christine for this bible study!!

Unforgiveness is like a cancer, good analogy Magaly. I am glad that Jesus pulled you out of the pit and breathed New Life into you! Are you serving in prison ministry? I’ve thought about leading a bible study for women in prison.

I’m enjoying this study as well, and selected it because of the opinion poll we did asking the women at the Bible Cafe what book they wanted to study. Beth presents the story of Jesus in a beautiful and loving manner, with great detail and visual images.

• Magaly says:

Jail ministry in Florida. Also at half way houses. Since I’ve moved to Louisianna I’ve haven’t done much but online school and bible study but I’m going to the Rescue Mission tomorrow….gotta share the love:)

• Michelle G says:

I find myself pondering over the question… Why do you think it is so hard for the rich to enter the kingdom? The study had two great examples of rich men. The rich young ruler who believed he had followed every command of God to the letter but when asked could not give up his wealth and then that of Zacheus who was a wealthy tax collector who willingly gave up his wealth.

Between these two men I believe it came down to a matter of the heart.

For myself I know when life is easier the need to be on my knees crying out in prayer is less.

Then I wonder what constitutes a “rich” man? Anyone with more than me I guess I would consider rich and yet I know I have more than others..would they consider me rich? That seems absurd to me yet it shouldn’t. Relative to third world countries..even those living on the streets of America.. I can guess everyone in this study would be considered rich. We all have access to a computer for this study and purchased a book to take the study… My daughter went to Kenya as a missionary. I am remembering her stories of the strip where all the poor live. Little make shift homes less than half the size of a single car garage would be used as a store front during the day to sell what they could craft and and night a covering would come down and the small space was a home for and entire family. 4,6,8+ people would eat and sleep there.
    I picture this…and think relatively speaking we are all rich.

Well said Michelle. We can re-write the question:

Why do you think it is so hard for the us to enter the kingdom?

• Marietta says:

1.How does unforgiveness cause further sin? (page 174 )

Unforgiveness causes discord and is judgmental and we have no right to judge another.

2.Why do you think it is so hard for the rich to enter the kingdom of God? (page 180 )

3.What is the most noticeable difference Christ has made in your life? (page 187 )

I am more thoughtful before I take an action or speak.
    I am very sensitive to keeping peace in my heart.

4.Share something you enjoyed from this week’s lesson.

Two things: 1) I was convicted (p. 182) that my cluttered room was a stronghold that I needed to get rid of – a form of my possessions holding me. I shared this with two Christian friends and asked for their advice. One of them offered to come and help me out of the clutter for a fresh start. I did it! My room is now clutter free and I believe God is pleased not only that it is but that I set aside my pride and allowed someone to see “the inner me.” and 2) Beth said (p 186) that God honors obedience even when we’re kicking and screaming. I’ve been kicking and screaming as I do the lessons in Me Myself and Lies but whenever that’s the case I ask God for forgiveness and perseverance and to show me the lesson he wants me to learn. God is teaching me and healing my heart.

I like your perspective on this “The rich depend on their riches for their security and power. Without it they feel weak and helpless. They have difficulty depending on Christ (or anyone else for that matter).”

Congratulations on the clutter free room!!! Freedom you can visually see.

I’m a kicker and screamer also- when God calls me, I dig in my heels and wait to see if this is the right direction for my life. Then He throws a spiritual brick at my head, and I move forward. 😉 I wait for conviction and that’s not such a bad thing. What is bad is how I react while waiting- like a spoiled Daughter of the King. I need to stop that! I’m reading Me, Myself and Lies for the second time, and as I recall the first time was like a slap of discipline. Wait until we get to the lesson on “perfection” -we had the whole bible study group kicking and screaming that week. 😉

• joanna says:

–Unforgiveness keeps us far from God. God tells us vengence is His but we doubt that He can take of us. Unforgiveness grows and grows and then one day you wake up and see how depressed you are because it hurts you so much, I know first hand.

— I am learning that having needs especially physical ones brings us so close to Jesus.When there no needs we don’t need a Savior.

–i want to remember that God forgives me , I like to punish myself.

It also resembles unbelief, a mindset that “we are more than God and we ourselves can ‘fix the problem’ with our resentment and unforgiveness.” When we believe God, we trust Him to judge others.

Often we can accept that God forgives us, yet we cannot forgives ourselves. Satan keeps us in this bondage. When we’re tied to cords of the past sin, the love of Jesus is not able to flow throughout all our veins. Jesus shed His blood so we can forgive ourselves. He was nailed to a cross because our sins are so bad. He gave it His all, so we could have God’s all. Guilt and shame keep us from embracing this, yet Christ is waiting in the living room, for us to sit at His feet and know His love. We punish ourselves when we are too ashamed to allow the Savior to love us. Too guilty to receive a pure heart. Too depressed to see His Light. Pray for healing, a pure heart, and see yourself as God sees you. When God forgives our sins, he FORGETS them. If we cling to them, the enemy claims those sins as his territory and lies to us about who we are in Christ. You Joanna, are a Daughter of the King. Abba is your Father, and His love is unyielding, no matter what. Don’t hurt Him by punishing yourself. Let go of the past.

The LORD will rescue his servants; no one who takes refuge in him will be condemned. Psalm 34:22 NIV

So don’t lose a minute in building on what you’ve been given, complementing your basic faith with good character, spiritual understanding, alert discipline, passionate patience, reverent wonder, warm friendliness, and generous love, each dimension fitting into and developing the others. With these qualities active and growing in your lives, no grass will grow under your feet, no day will pass without its reward as you mature in your experience of our Master Jesus. Without these qualities you can’t see what’s right before you, oblivious that your old sinful life has been wiped off the books. 1 Peter 5:9 Message

• joanna says:

Amen, Christine , thank you. I am just mad at myself because I have let my First Love for Jesus fade. I am praying that He would help me get it back. I’m a single mom and I let so much get in the way.

1. How does unforgiveness cause further sin? By not being able to forgive the person no matter what they have done….I am going through this right now…..when people who will not forgive me for past or present sins….this just causes in me blacksliding, temper and more anger in my life. If we drag this around all it does is cause heartache, destruction, and a lot of resistment in our lives. We need to let go and let God handle this.

3. What is the most noticable difference Christ has made in your life? By Jesus helping me control my temper and anger but at times it really flares up and causes all kinds of strife in my life….like this week my husband and I got in a HUGH fight and I was leaving for good…a friend said “if I have my Bible and my dog we would be okay” That made me stop and think and really pray over this….so Jeaus, my Bible and dog are still here. This is Satan doing….making me feel bad about myself….so Satan just leave.

4. Just being able to focus more on Jesus and being creatve enought to come up with a newpaper headline.

Pray over your response to answer one. Do you have a Spirit of Resentment flowing through your veins, or through your family, generations past? It’s difficult to let go of something we learn in childhood, so ask God to search your heart on this and really look back. Who or what are you resenting…is that impacting your relationship with others? Pray over this.

Jesus never leaves your side. Imagine yourself walking with Him. Are you prepared for the King? Like Esther, we all need “beauty treatments” yet we need the spiritual kind. We need to dig deep, clean out the pores, and then apply a face that reflects the LIGHT of the Savior.

• Mindy says:

I love your “beauty treatment” example, Christine! I want my face to be lovely via reflecting the light of our Savior!! :o)

Christine,

Yes, there is Resentment flowing through my veins, and I pray over it, but what are you to do when the person says to you “it is way to late to impress me now,, after all you have done.” So what do you or can you do about that my friend? I pray for them and I only hope with Gods grace they will change their mind and see that I am changing. I pray every day that I am Ready for the King to return and He finds me worthy of His love. I like Esther need “beauty treatments” of the spiritual kind. Maybe I should spend more time in my prayer closet.

As always thanks for the kind words, and all you do for us. You are truly a Godly woman, walking in faith everyday, and I feel blessed to call you my friend.

You don’t have to impress your another person, you only have to impress God. Do what is right in his sight. I’m thankful to be a loyal friend.

Christine,

You are a loyal friend and more to me. I try and impress Him than I go and blow it some way. Thanks for the kind words.

Did you read the chapter on Peter yet,or the disciples who ran and hid like scared bunnies… If Jesus’ 12 closest friends stepped off the path, so can we. Get back on it and do not join ranks with the lurking enemy.

• Mindy says:

1.How does unforgiveness cause further sin? (page 174 )

Unforgiveness makes your heart and mind a breeding ground for resentment, anger, bitterness, “mind chatter” – all things Satan loves to take advantage of and use in his schemes.

With riches you get used to certain luxuries and lifestyle, as well as how you are treated/admired in our society. There can be great comfort and identity in that. However, obviously, being attached to and driven by these things and the pursuit of continued wealth/riches leads most down the paths of pride and greed. So it’s the rare few (like Rick Warren in Christine’s post) that are able to keep their hearts and minds focused on pleasing God and not being attached to the “things/money” but rather sharing them and being a blessing because of them.

Not wanting to compromise being upright based on the opinions or judgements of others. I.e. It’s okay to me if others think I’m ‘boring’ or a ‘prude’ because I don’t want to hang out in bars and drink etc. That’s not my lifestyle.

4.Share something you enjoyed from this week’s lesson.
    I enjoy when Beth lets us be creative. It was fun in a previous lesson to come up with the name of Jesus’ ministry. In this lesson it was fun to come up with the newspaper headline, and the fictional imagining of the rich young ruler.

p.s. I just love this study. It’s been long, and quite a commitment, but I gain so much wisdom and insight each and every lesson. I will miss it when we complete it in a couple weeks. Thank you all for being here through this and honoring your commitment despite the holiday bustle, personal issues, spiritual attacks, and other challenges. I appreciate your time, and I know God will bless every minute you’ve spent with him in this study. xo

Your answer reminds me that unforgiveness can be a heavy weight, like a chain attached to our ankle or the weight of a hidden sackcloth. We can drag the weight around and leave a trail of destruction behind us, or we can cut it off and walk side-by-side with Jesus.

One of my friends from the past said “I understand why you are into that ‘Jesus stuff’ you must be bored.” After the initial shock, I knew that my heart was in a different place than hers and I severed the friendship. God was not calling me to minister to her, lead her, or convince her- at the time He was calling me into a relationship with Jesus and nothing was going to block my path.

Thank you for the “P.S” you reveal what I always knew, when God removes one friend from our path he always replaces her with another friend of His choosing. 🙂

• Magaly says:

Isn’t it funny how people think that christians are “stuffy or boring”, I’d love to invite them to one of our get togethers!! We rock!!

• Michelle G says:

I love this study too! It has been a huge blessing in so many ways.
      Today I am pondering richs. I agree with you and started thinking about luxuries. Things I take for granted are having a washer and dryer in my home, hot running water and flush toilets. Closets with clothes and more than one pair of shoes to pick from to put on. I have stuff I don’t even think twice about furniture, tv’s, dvd player, games etc. Everyday dishes and Christmas dishes!!! Wow

• Barbara M says:

2-In general, the rich don’t see a need for God. They put their trust in their possessions and power–that’s where they see their own value lies. It’s hard to be humble and admit you are nothing without God.
    3-I have more desire to know God’s word and to focus on Him at all times. Surrounding myself with Christian literature, music, friends is especially helpful, although I struggle with trying to rely on myself too much instead of giving burdens to Him in faith.

I live near a wealthy community and many are passionate for God; in fact one friend was a NFL superstar and he became a local pastor. Another friend owns a worldwide winery and she is passionate about womens bible study. In this community, we are exposed to the rich man who walks by faith and the rich man who walks by his own flesh. It’s an interesting perspective. A friend recently said to me “one advantage of having wealth is that you have more to give to those in need.” The rich are tempted by pride, and the poor are tempted by pride when they do not ask for help. Too many treasures on the throne blocks our view of the Lord. I was listening to Pastor Rick Warren on a video when he said he now gives away 94% of his entire income each year, with a goal to live on 2% of his income when he retires, and give away the rest. He’s a rich man and His trust is in his eternal life, not his possessions.

From About.com
      Speaking about his “purpose driven” success, in 2005 Warren told U.S. News and World Report, “It brought in a ton of money. The first thing we decided was that we wouldn’t let it change our lifestyle one bit.” Even after achieving notoriety and great prosperity, Warren and his family continued to live in the same home and drive the same vehicle. He said, “Next, I stopped taking a salary from the church. Then I added up all the church had paid me in the previous 25 years and I gave it back.” Living on only 10% of their income, he and his wife began to give away the rest in a type of “reverse tithing” principle.

1. How does unforgiveness cause further sin? Unforgiveness causes us to be judgmental, hard-hearted, mean-spirited, and prideful.

2. Why do you think it is so hard for the rich to enter the kingdom of God? I think it’s because the rich are in love with, surrendered to, and serve money instead of God.

3. What is the most noticeable difference Christ has made in your life? I used to be very controlling, thought my way was the only way (and enforced it on everyone), and had a highly skewed perception of my importance. I caused a lot of stress with coworkers, in my family, and for myself. I am so laid back now it’s just amazing. A total 180. I am able to go with the flow of life much easier. Thank you Lord for changing me! You are so good!

4. Share something you enjoyed from this week’s lesson. I became aware this week that I have been “taking the bait” for months on an issue at work with a coworker. I am working on the areas of my responsibility that Beth listed and already feel like chains are being removed. Hallelujah!

No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money. Luke 16:13 NIV

Angie,

I like your comments…can I borrow then for my answers? You make me think on things in a whole different light. Thanks. Blessings

Thank you Sue Alice, that’s very sweet of you to say. Your answers are great too and I always look forward to reading them! That’s one thing I really like about the Bible Cafe’s online format – everyone is able to respond and reading other people’s responses often gives us a different perspective to think about.

Me too! I don’t like to hear my own voice all the time, I learn from others and what they write. Thank you to everyone for responding to the discussion questions and comments.

Christine,

You are welcome. Glad you like the yellow rose, I like to change things around, and yellow roses are my favorite also. Blessing to you.

You are welcome Angie. I just get a big kick out of reading Christine, Lauren and your comments…..I learn so much from you guys. Blessing to all of you.

1.How does unforgiveness cause further sin? (page 174 )
    Unforgiveness causes further sin because it causes a hardening of the heart, and a lack of trust in God. This can lead to questioning God, and before a person knows it, he/she no longer considers God. When we do not forgive, we are unable to fully love, so we can’t accept God’s love.
    They fear loss, and trust only in themselves and their wealth, rather than trusting on God. They are so used to being able to buy their way out of things, or buy what they want… they can’t imagine something being free.
    My attitude. Though at times I still find myself being stubborn, hard-headed, and impulsive, I have been able to demonstrate self-control in my anger and impatience. I am truly living day to day in God’s presence. In the morning, I say to God, This is your day, do what You will. I no longer get hung up on the little stuff that may occur. This has helped how I respond to things that happen so much better!
    4.Share something you enjoyed from this week’s lesson.
    I loved the lesson of Zaccheus. I can just see Beth’s description of him climbing that tree, sitting on the branch and huffing and puffing as he tried to see Jesus. If only we were willing to go to such great lengths… how many times have I been complacent to just stand in the crowd? I also loved Day 5, looking at the Signs of the Times. It is so evident… we could be reading a newspaper account of the time in which we live. I used to be afraid to read this… but now I’m excited. Lord, let your kingdom come!

Lauren, I feel exactly the same about Day 5!

He who testifies to these things says, “Yes, I am coming soon.”
      Amen. Come, Lord Jesus. Revelation 22:20

• Jennifer K says:

2. I think it so hard for the rich to enter the Kingdom of God because they don’t see a reason to turn to God. When they are sick they pay a doctor to take care of them, when they are hungry they buy food. They don’t have the understanding or humility that the weak and poor have. A man without turns to God for help because they have nowhere else to turn. Not to say the rich people can’t or don’t love God but I see the parallels. When you leave the things of the world behind you then you can truly turn to God and accept Him to be your all and provider!

3. Christ has made an overall better person of me. I decided several years ago that I wanted I pure heart for God not a sometimes pure heart for God. Not to say I don’t have my moments but just that decision has made me conscious of my daily decisions. I also filter my life, listen mostly only to Christian music, changed my langauge, changed my friends, etc. I love who God is making me I am not only a better person but a better wife and mother.

1. How does unforgiveness cause further sin? Unforgiveness breeds pride, and God hates pride. Pride is the root of anger, bitterness, revenge and sin.

2. Why do you think it is so hard for the rich to enter the kingdom of God? Pride closes doors, and humility opens them. We need to depend on God and not on money.

3. What is the most noticeable difference Christ has made in your life? I am not the same person I used to be, and Christ constantly reminds me that I am HIS. My thinking has changed, as I filter everything through the a scripture lens. I’m far from perfect, and I am very content to sit at the feet of Jesus and listen.

4. Share something you enjoyed from this week’s lesson. I enjoyed the lesson on the rich man, because I was once rich and now I am poor. When I started to crave the luxuries of my past- manicures, housecleaner, landscaper and nice things- I knew that I was being tempted by Satan. He uses my situation (financial insecurity) to stumble me and put me on a path where I do not belong. Realizing this, I am comfortable having less and living with less. It is where God wants me to be and I am fully dependent on Him for my needs.

• Michelle G says:

What is the most noticable difference Christ has made in your life?..Mine was a radical change. Everything changed; my language, what I read, what I watched, where I socialized, and what I thought. This brought Christ into my home along with a peace and contentment I had never known. Even during the roughest patches. God is so good.

This week the very real knowledge that Leper colonys are alive and well in this age is difficult to understand as are all debilitating illiness’s and diseases. Without Christ how would one cope? I am so greatful for the prayers of Jesus, David and Job so we know we can come before the Lord in prayer with our sorrows and questions and know that He is faithful regardless of our understanding. Psalm 34:18 from page 176 was a great reminder that “The Lord is close to the broken hearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.”

My change evolved over time, and like you I started listening to Christian music and filtering what I watch and read. I let go of unhealthy friendships and claimed Jesus as my Friend. I embraced new friends that He sent forth and learned from them.

When I read about the ten lepers and the leper colonies, I was reminded of some countries where AIDS patients are isolated from their communities.

• lauren says:

I’m behind but catching up… will try to post later!

• Michelle G says:

You and everyone else were so kind last week when I was struggling and wondering what to do. Thank you.
      I think you comment….. I’m behind but catching up… will try to post later!….is so positive and upbeat it made me smile!!!

I’m catching up on the comments also, I was under heavy spiritual attack the past few days. When I reply to a comment, I pray first and center my heart on the Spirit. Under attack, I cannot hear clearly and so I wait to respond. My hearing and vision have been clouded by the enemy, so rather than post a comment, I simply wait until the fog clears. 🙂

Christine,

As always Satan just needs a little reminder that you are a child of God…Satan, Christine belongs to the Lord not you…so GET OUT and leave her alone!!!!!!

Thanks Sue! Like you yellow rose 🙂

I saw this on Twitter today:

Satan isn’t troubled when we go to church. But his knobby knees tremble when we pray. Max Lucado

=) Snow day from work = great time on the treadmill and catch-up time in my Bible… and it was much needed! Busy week, but I’ve been striving to put Him first, and it goes sooo much better!

Lauren,

Don’t run to far and long on the treadmill….just go slow and pretend you are catching snow flakes. I am catching up also. Satan paid a BIG visit and I made the mistake of letting Him Rule for a few days. The Lord is BACK ruling now so I should be okay. Blessings.

You are welcome. Blessing to you.

• Hien says:

Whoa! I looked at this post and came back minutes later to find a new picture and different video!

1. How does unforgiveness cause further sin?
    Unforgiveness leads to sinful attitudes/actions/thoughts toward the unforgiven, no matter how much you want to deny it. It’s not easy to forgive and I understand when someone can’t forgive me for the terrible things I’ve done, because we’re only human. There are things i can’t forgive myself for much less ask someone else to. I can only try to forgive others and ask for forgiveness in return, but only our Lord promises us forgiveness.
    3. What is the most noticable difference Christ has made in your life?
    Maybe I should get my friend of 17 years to answer this one. Although I’ve hit several potholes along the way, I have indeed changed and want to change more. Less of me, more of Him right? Maybe the most notable would be my partying lifestyle in college to my more pure lifestyle now, although working 80 hrs a week makes it pretty easy. Then again, the worst pothole of my life happened just last year during my intern year. Anyway, plenty to work on to lessen myself…

Sorry Hein, we published the post before we edited the post, that’s why you saw the change. You must have been reading the post while we were editing it. 🙂

A major breakthrough I had in forgiveness was to separate the sin from the person. I saw this person was under the influence of Satan and it was easier to forgive, because the nonBeliever was unaware of the presence of the enemy. I saw the real enemy and forgiveness flooded my heart.

The question is “What is the most noticeable difference Christ has made in your life?” so it may be time to look forward and see yourself as God sees you now, not as you saw yourself in your past? When you accepted Him you became a new creation on Christ. Who you are now is not who you were then. You are now covered in His blood, washed in love.

Christine, I love what you shared about your breakthrough in forgiveness! It is very powerful and really struck a chord with me. What a great way to deal with this issue! Thank you!

• Hien says:

You said the nonbeliever was unaware. How about if it was a believer, who was aware?

We are to forgive, believer or nonbeliever, because unforgiveness breeds pride, resentment and anger.

Then Peter came to Jesus and asked, “Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother or sister who sins against me? Up to seven times?” Jesus answered, “I tell you, not seven times, but seventy-seven times. Matt 18:21-22 NIV

“Then the master called the servant in. ‘You wicked servant,’ he said, ‘I canceled all that debt of yours because you begged me to. Shouldn’t you have had mercy on your fellow servant just as I had on you?’ In anger his master handed him over to the jailers to be tortured, until he should pay back all he owed. “This is how my heavenly Father will treat each of you unless you forgive your brother or sister from your heart.” Matt 32-35 NIV

Christine,

I need a breakthrought of forgiveness also. Thanks for sharing.

• Magaly says:

A fabulous book to read is John Bevere’s “The Bait of Satan”. I read it once a year for some deep cleansing. I also took it to the jail and shared it with the girls and let me tell you!! The Holy Spirit began moving immediately, it was powerful. Forgiveness is a Powerful weapon!!!

Thanks for the book recommendation, looks like one I’d like to read too! It was published in 2004 so I hope to find a copy at my local library. If not, I saw the book on Amazon for $8 or $10 with a DVD.