One and Only Week 7: The Infinite Treasure

It’s hard to believe we’ve finished seven weeks of Jesus the One and Only, a bible study we started just before Christmas. I’m going to miss this study when it ends, because it has been so rich with biblical knowledge regarding the life of our Savior. Each time I read a lesson, my heart opens to His Word, His Life, and His Way. Who wants that to end! Not me. I notice some of you are falling behind in the reading and may feel discouraged. Don’t give up, keep walking step-by-step through the pages of Luke. Resist the temptation to quit, rebuke the enemy of distraction standing in your path. I remember in my church small group I would avoid the group meetings because Satan shamed me into feeling unworthy for my incomplete work. Or I would drop out of the small group study entirely- because pride spoke into my heart that I was not good enough to belong to the study, I couldn’t even keep it with it. Today I realize that’s nonsense and the pawprint of Satan. I encourage you, if you are behind move forward. If you are embarrassed, take a stand in Jesus name and say “I will finish the race.” Let the rest of the group cheer you on! We are not competitors, we are Christ-followers united by His love. Beth Moore writes “the intense study of God’s Word has mammoth affects.” Claim it as yours and never let go of His Word.

On day three with Beth asks “Give a few examples of what you think might be spiritual abuse” I began to struggle in my study. As a witness to this in my Catholic high school, I became very uncomfortable as I continued to read the lesson. My school and my friends made the national news, resulting in a ten-million dollar judgment against the church. My face was getting hot, my heart started to race and I was writing down all the “events” so I could share them with you. Then I paused (Psalm 37:7) and prayed over my emotions.  I realized if I write about the details of the past spiritual abuse, I will distract my readers from the focus and intent of the study. I prayed over this and heard the Spirit speak into my heart “I showed you the devastating aspects of spiritual abuse so you could be a watchman for my church.” I’m not sure what a watchman actually does, so I will spend more time in prayer. I know when God calls me, He equips me. It would be foolish to run and point fingers or make accusations without the full knowledge and direction of God. So I’ll wait and continue to be groomed by my Lord.

We welcome any prayer needs from the group and ask that you will print a copy of the prayers, place them, in your workbook and pray for these women. If you have a prayer request for our prayer wall, please click here.

Beth Moore Quotes

• Love keeps us afloat and self control keeps us anchored.
  • The prescription for worry is trust.
  • We can have heads full of knowledge and souls full of death.
  • Christ is never the author of spiritual abuse.
  • Obedience to our Father’s commands is the key to immunity from the enemy.
  • Under God’s umbrella we are free to sing in the rain.
  • We can quench the Spirit but we cannot disable him.
  • Few things force us to look up like being all the way down.

This Week’s Scripture Verse-NIV

Whoever is not with me is against me, and whoever does not gather with me scatters. Luke 11:23 NIV

For the Son of Man came to seek and to save the lost. Luke 12:15 NIV

For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. Luke 19:10 NIV

• Read Week Eight in the workbook
  • Listen to the Session Eight Audio or Listen to the Session Eight Video (optional)

1. When was the last time you were reminded how influential the devil is? (page 149 )
  2. Describe a time when you were uncomfortable with an opportunity to publicly acknowledge Jesus. (page 154 )
  3. Why do you think worry is so difficult to control? (page 155 )
  4. Share something you enjoyed from this week’s study.

• Carin says:

I am still here! Still behind…

1.How influential is the devil?-
    VERY- I am reminded the day(s) that I am not in the word. I become irritated, angry, frustrated etc…I have learned from being in these studies how much God is in control. Satan is close by waiting for me not to be close to the Lord (even for just one day).

2. Publicly acknowledge the Lord-
    I had the opportunity to give God the glory when asked by 2 co-workers how I did what I did at work. Without getting into the story I had people pray for me for 3 months to make a fourth quarter goal in 2010. I not only made it but superseded it. When asked by my 2 bosses, I immediately did not give God the glory. What rolled off my tongue was “I worked really hard”. I beat myself up for days (even weeks). It was so God that made me achieve that goal and I didn’t give him the glory.

3.Worry-
    Worry is difficult to control because we can see & feel what we need. We cannot see or feel the outcome. Trust is something I have to practice daily. It is so hard as my flesh wants so hard to make it happen. It is usually very hard if I am not in the word to renew my mind of this. Satan comes in too with worry. Worry is not of God and I try to remind myself that worry is a sin..

5.I necessarily didn’t enjoy page 151 but it stood out to me the most.
    Demons seem to be more at home where they’ve previously dwelled (be in the word to guard us from this). Satan knows our weaknesses and we are an easy target when caught off guard. Again so important to be in the word. Satan hates to lose……I want to make him tremble but he seems to be there to make me busy.

• Cindy H says:

Just finished the story of the Prodigal Son. It touches my heart that God loves us so much. I can just see the father “running” and grabbing hold of the son that he thought was dead to him. I’m so glad that Jesus shared that story.

• Jennifer K says:

2. At work. Where I work I am sort of the odd man out, they think of me as that girl who is a christian. And you know what I am but sometimes I feel intimidated to be loud and proud but also I’m kind of afraid of getting into trouble for putting my beliefs on others which is funny because isn’t that what happened to a few people in the bible… Anyways it’s a bit of a sore subject to me so I don’t want to keep rambling on about it. I have to say though that over the last couple months I have found myself bringing up God more and more at work and it feels good. 🙂

• Sue says:

3.Why do you think worry is so difficult to control? (page 155 )

Our entire and complete vulnerability in an evil, fallen world.

4.Share something you enjoyed from this week’s study.

Had an incident where a large pan lid “exploded” in my kitchen. While cleaning up the colossal mess, I learned some things while thinking about a recent incident with a close friend. Jesus encouraged me, then rebuked me, then taught me, all while cleaning up. He taught me that God can use the simplest (and weakest) of tools in His toolbox; He taught me that I am sometimes a “sledgehammer” in my interaction where a few taps from a small hammer will do; and he showed me that a letter I wrote an errant friend was His work through me until I added some things in the relaying of it. Quite an incident.

• Michelle G says:

Thanks you for all your comments. You all don’t know how much they helped me this week. I can really relate to question one for I am one feeling guilty about falling behind. I have two videos to catch up and two days from last week before I can start this week. It would be easy to drop out of a “virtual” study where I don’t have to see the eyes of those I have disappointed. I thought to myself last night NO this is wrong and unfair to everyone including myself. Satan wont win. A side note is my daughter called me an asked me about this study last night. She is thinking of doing something on her own while studying at school and wanted to know if this would be good for her. HA of course I said it was awesome and I could share my time with her when she started. You all are amazing!!

I pray you have a wonderful week

Thank you for sharing this Michelle. One of the benefits I did not anticipate is that families are connecting through this study. We have sisters in the group, living in different states, who are learning and reading His Word together. We have mothers and daughters, some of the daughters are away at college and connected to mom and home through this study. Many do not realize that we have more than 40,000 site visits to the Bible Cafe each month and more than 1,000 email subscribers. While not everyone is posting comments, many are reading them and learning from the group studies. This is the work of God alone, not the leaders of the Bible Cafe. He is using social media to gather and connect His children around the world.

Hang in there, Michelle! Don’t give up!!!

• Jennifer K says:

I am also behind and still trying to catch up but I haven’t given up. I think I am having a harder time because I wasn’t able to do the audio portion of the study so I kind of feel like I am missing a piece of the lessons. Although I am glad I get to read everyone responses and learn a little from each of you. I would say I am liking the online study thing and I know I will do better at the next one.

I’m behind on the audio sessions, so don’t beat yourself up for that 😉 Keep up with the reading and group discussions, listen to the audio when you have the spare time.

Michelle G.

Just take your time and you will catch up. I WILL CONFESS RIGHT NOW AND HERE…..I have not done one day of this study this week….I will catch up on Sunday and Monday. Michelle, I hope you see this and it makes you feel better. Satan been way to busy with me this week to BUG you. He has reared his little red head at me and I just lost my temper this week….and he just gets in my way of doing my study. So this week Satan has been living in my house again. I told him to leave by the way…..I am a child og God and so are you. Also you are not a disappointment to you….you are here with us.

Blessings to you and yours.

Count me in as a cheerleader for all in the group to finish this study strong. I check the site a couple of times a day and really look forward to everyone’s responses. I have learned a lot from other’s answers and observations and don’t want to miss what anyone has to share. Keep pressing forward everyone! We can do it!

3. Why do you think worry is so difficult to control? (page 155) I think worry is so hard to control because we have so little faith and are not focused on the eternal perspective.

4. Share something you enjoyed from this week’s study. This whole week was really good but the most powerful for me was day 4 and learning of the immunity we receive when we surrender our will to the Father’s and obey His commands. I have never heard this taught as Beth taught it and it was truly transforming for me. Praise God for His goodness!

Angie,

Way to go!!!!! Can I cheer along with you at the end?? Are you going to make up a cheer for us?? Hope so.

Angie, I’m like you. I get daily encouragement from reading others’ posts and check this site out a couple of times a day. We have to support each other!

Oh so true we need to support each other here!!!!!!! I almost try and check any day if I have the time. Thanks Lauren and Angie for being here. Blessing to you both.

• Marietta says:

When I heard about the attacks/shootings in Tucson, AZ.

2.Describe a time when you were uncomfortable with an opportunity to publicly acknowledge Jesus. (page 154 )

I’m often afraid my words will be challenged and I will be unable to defend my position in the Lord. I shamefully fear others’ opinions of me even though I say I believe God is the only authority.

3.Why do you think worry is so difficult to control? (page 155 )

Because we have many concerns as we live our daily lives and it is very easy to be sucked up into them. Since beginning this study when I wake up at night with the “demons” bugging me, I recall my favorite Bible verse and meditate on it allowing God to calm me and in time I’m filled with joy and easily fall back to sleep.

4.Share something you enjoyed from this week’s study.

I particularly loved the idea that where God’s treasure is, His heart is also. I’m amazed that I, Marietta, am treasured by God. His heart thinks of me!? I am a treasured possession.

• Mindy says:

On Christmas Eve when my cousin (a believer) and her daughter were talking about a ghost show on TV they like so much… and I realized as they went on and on about it being rather dark sometimes that Satan was trying to gain entry into them via this show and how easily we can be affected in the same way via TV shows that seem simply “entertaining.”

Once in church years ago when the pastor called those who wanted to commit or re-commit their lives to Jesus to the front, and I wanted to stand up and walk to the front but I was embarrassed about what others would think. How silly – I was in a house of Christians yet I was embarrassed to show that I wanted to be renewed in Him.

3.Why do you think worry is so difficult to control? (page 155 )

Because we want to influence outcomes to what we think is best and feel out of control when we don’t know what’s going to happen.

4.Share something you enjoyed from this week’s study.

On Day 3 I wanted to understand the difference between “given” and “entrusted” in the question about Luke 12:48. I realized given = freely handed over, and there are expectations of accountability; entrusted = given because a trust/relationship has developed, and there are greater expectations because it’s become relational/personal. I enjoyed learning the difference.

Mindy, I agree with you on your answer to #1. I’m a big believer that we should be very careful of what we take in via television and printed material. I think these are both means easily used by the enemy to control what people think and believe.

1.When was the last time you were reminded how influential the devil is? (page 149 )Looking around this world, so much evil. As I was completing the study that day, the shooting in Arizona had just taken place. Looking at the victims, especially a 9 year old who was born on one of the most tragic days in American history, made me realize that we live in a world that truly does pay homage to the Prince of Darkness. How wonderful, though, that we know how it ends… in victory for the King of Kings!

3.Why do you think worry is so difficult to control? (page 155 )OUr minds are in constant motion. We are constantly seeing what may happen. And there is so much evil it is scary. We become obsessed about what if, fear feeds anxiety, and it is a vicious cycle we get stuck in.

4.Share something you enjoyed from this week’s study.
    I can honestly say that I am loving every bit of this study. So much has come forth to me that I never thought about. For example, on Day 4, when she was discussing the parable of the fig tree that hadn’t had fruit for 3 years, I wrote in my margin… That’s me! So many times I’m sure I had no fruit, did things my way, but Jesus was saying the whole time, “Let me leave her a little longer. Let me garden her a little more. Water her. Lovingly tend to her.” He never gives up! When others would cut us down… and the parable of the shepherd and the sheep, and the Prodigal Son… wow! How awesome to think of God running to me, to embrace me! I am so unworthy, but He thinks I am worthy of glory!!!!

Lauren,

I like your answer to number 2. I am enjoying the study also. So glad you are. Are you going to do Psalms when this is finished? Hope so.

• Hien says:

I love love love the picture of our God running to us. In my lowest times, He’s seeking me out, trying to get my attention to win me back. Man He loves me, why can’t I show Him half as much love that He deserves from me in return? So thankful He doesn’t give up on me.

Hi, are you doing okay? Have a wonderful week and a blessed one.

• Hien says:

Thanks for asking Sue Alice. I’m doing okay. We’ve got our annual ABSITE (American Board of Surgery In-Training Exam) coming up this Saturday, so I’ve been staying busy studying for that on top of the 70 hrs of work during the week. Ah, the life He has chosen for me… 😉

• Judee Baysinger says:

Worrying is as natural as breathing. Satan outdid himself when he let worry into the human physique. It starts out as small as a simple thought. The next thing you know that is all you can think about. It’s kind-of like saying “don’t think about…” and then that’s all you think about. It takes a lot of prayer and concentration to not worry.
    I also think we worry because we are afraid that God can’t handle the problem. In our tiny little minds we can’t get that God is bigger then anything that could ever happen to us.
    Thank you LORD Jesus for not giving up on us and loving us even though we can’t help but let you down.
    In Christ,

Hi everyone. As Christine said “Can you believe we just finished week 7?” I have learned so much and have really liked this study. Have all of you?

1. When was the last time you were reminded how influential the devil is? Almost every day, by my actions….by this I mean my temper, fights with my husband, having to do THINGS my way and no one elses way, just being plain mean. Also tempation plays a big role in my life and Satan knows this….and believe me he uses that one a lot with me.

2. Describe a time when you were uncomfortable with an opportunity to publicly acknowledge Jesus? Just last Sunday in a class that I am going to start taking at my church. I can acknowledge Him as my Lord to people, but can not give my testimony very well…I am shamed of my rebellious teen years and how I treated family and people back then. As Beth says “Do it until it loses its intimidation!”

3. Why do you think worry is so difficult to control? That is an easy one to answer, because it is always there…..you can not stop thinking on it or what is causing the worry. Worry is like a BONE that has been chewed to death and there isn’t any left, but you keep chewing on it anyway.

4. Share something you enjoyed from this week’s study? The way Beth keeps bringing out Jesus’s feelings and His personally. Also the questions she would like to ask Him when she gets to meet Him face to face. Oh, how I would like to be a fly on that wall and listen in. Can I please…listen in??? LOL.

I’m feeling you about anger and temper! I am trying… and I am doing so much better… Lord, please help us to bear Your fruit and to practice temperance, meekness, patience, kindness… =)

Lauren,

We need to run our and temper out of both of our lives. I am praying for you. Everytime I think my temper is better it rears up its ugly little RED head or flag and off I go again…..rageing and ranting again….most of the time other something really dumd and I have no control over. Blessing to you and yours. I am happy you are doing so much better.

Sue Alice, In answer to your question, yes I have enjoyed every minute of this study and have also learned a lot. I am so thankful to God for guiding each of us here to share and grow together. Praise Him!

Angie,

So glad you are enjoying the study, as I have also. So happy God lead you to this site. I have learned a lot also. Are you going to do Psalms when this is over? I will be there. Blessing to you and yours. My prayers are with you. Thanks for answering my post.

Sue Alice, unfortunately I will not be in the Psalms study. I started The Patriarchs study with a group of ladies from church this past Tuesday evening and that will take me through to the David study that starts here the end of March which I plan on participating in. I will be keeping an eye on the site and will continue to pray for everyone here. I am doing SSMT also. I will miss the weekly interaction with each of you though!

Angie,

So sorry you will not be here for the “Psalms” study, but will be happy to see you back for the “David”. Are you going to get to watch the DVDs for “The Patriarchs”??? They are a HOOT. Beth clothes are why to neat and the set is so cool. I am doing a Lysa TerKuerst study at church also “What Happens When Woman Walk in Faith” In fact to tell the truth at the present time I am doing three studies, and SSMT. Oh forgot small group at church on Sunday night so I guess this makes four. See you here and back in March on the 29th. Blessing to you and yours.

Well that explains the intense spiritual growth I’ve seen in you the past few months Sue! Wow, you are surrounded in the Word and learning s much about the Lord’s ways. You reflect this in your words 🙂