One and Only Week 6: The Necessity

We’ve just finished week six of Jesus the One and Only with Beth Moore. As we followed the steps of Jesus through the eyes of Luke this week, we saw he was interacting and teaching everyone he met: the leaders of the Law, 72 more disciples, the father of a special needs son, and even his friends. Two of my favorite scenes were in this week’s lesson- the Good Samaritan, and the Martha vs Mary experience. Did you enjoy this week as much as I did?

One of my favorite books is called Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World, Finding Intimacy with God in the Busyness of Life by Joanna Weaver. This book was published after Beth Moore wrote Jesus the One and Only, so it was not mentioned in our study. The focus of the book is slowing down and taking time to listen for God’s voice. When we’re too busy making preparations- we miss the opportunity to rest in His Presence. The book opens with these words “She is the original Martha Stewart, the New Testament Proverbs 31 woman and Israel’s answer to Betty Crocker. She is the queen of the kitchen and the rest of the house as well. When faced with a choice to work or worship, Mary has chosen to worship.” If this sounds like your life at times, you’ll want to read this book. I’ve given many copies of the book as gifts to my friends.

Joanna Weaver is releasing a new book next month called Lazarus Awakening, Finding Your Place in the Heart of God and I’m looking forward to reading and reviewing this book for you.

This week we thought you’d like to listen to some music, so enjoy this song by Francesca Battistelli Free to Be Me

With more than 1,000 people receiving updates from this blog, we are now using the Prayer Wall to post prayer requests. We welcome any prayer needs from the group and ask that you will print a copy of the Prayer wall, place it in your workbook and pray daily. If you have a praise report or prayer request for our prayer wall, please click here.

Beth Moore Quotes

• We are often empowered to do far more than we exercise.
  • God’s strength is unaffected by His audience.
  • Without prayer, we return to our own ability rather than to God.
  • Only one thing stands between us and the lost: a blood-stained cross.

This Week’s Scripture Verse

For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved. Romans 10:10 NIV

“Do not stop him,” Jesus said, “for whoever is not against you is for you.” Luke 9:50 NIV

Then Jesus said to his disciples, “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me. For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will find it. Matt 16:24-25 NIV

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8 NIV

• Read Week Seven in the workbook
  • Listen to the Session Seven Audio (optional)
  • OR…Listen to the Session Seven Video (optional)

1. Do you remember a time in your life when you tried to exercise faith without prayer? (page 127 )
  2. Name a spiritual failure and how it can be connected to a lack of faith in God. (page 127 )
  3. When has the least expected person come to your rescue like a Good Samaritan? (page 141 )
  4. Share something from this week that you enjoyed.

• Carin says:

1.Exercise faith without prayer- I have just now learned that I do it all the time. I have started to write down prayer for myself and believing God will follow through. That I just can’t say “I can’t do that” or “something bad is going to happen” etc…I am starting to just pray about, writing it down (so I don’t forget) and believing God will take care of it or show me what he has better for me. This was a great lesson and question for me!

2.Spiritual failure- Using credit cards for things that I am not asking God for. My husband recently has been doing research on a new TV. He wanted to charge it on Zero percent interest for a year. I have been convicted to stop buying things if we cannot afford it. I am praying that God will show my husband that we need to ask God and he will provide without using cards.

3.Good Samaritan- I have seen lately non Christians coming to my or someone else’s rescue. I have seen people who think that if they do a good deed that the universe will bless them (their quote). I have seen non Christians at my work who have come to my rescue and they have no idea that they are being used by God.

4.I really got a lot out of this week’s lesson- What stood out to me is on page 143 is that if “Satan cannot make us bad, he’ll make us busy”. I have committed to myself to read and pray when I get up and will not go to work until I have done that. Sometimes I have been late to work (I am commission only so I can make up hours). I have noticed that sometimes I get distracted in the morning whether it be on e-mails or Facebook I was reminded to stay focused.

I pray more when I write it down also. I print the Prayer Wall from the Bible Cafe, that gets me started. Then I add prayer requests I receive during my day, and I place all this inside my bible study workbook. Before I start to read, I submit my prayers to God.

Dave Ramesy, Financial Peace University. (enough said!!)

Thanks for the reminder about Satan keeping us busy. I really focused on this during the week, and one day out of five I did not start with Bible study and prayer. I was so agitated, I felt out of sync, and also a bit guilty because I knew Jesus was sitting and waiting to visit with me via bible study. I neglected him because I was “too busy” when in fact I was not too busy. I was simply distracted. Once I recognized this, I stopped my activities, grabbed my bible and a cup of tea, and sat in His Presence. My priorities need to reflect my heart, and my heart is HIS.

• Carin says:

A friend of mine gave me some Joyce Meyers CD’s that I listen to in the car on my way to work. One of things that she said is “you don’t have to pray to death a prayer”. I am so guilty of that. I think for some reason God didn’t hear me the first time or something. So I pray the same prayer with more conviction and sometimes louder the next day and the day after. So since I have been writing it down in a “journal” style of a book, I open it up and start prayer for my contents of my book. I can’t wait to look through the book and start crossing off answered prayers (I just started the book).

I believe it is a glorious victory to be agitated about not spending time with God. I feel the same way. What keeps me on track is how many times I am late for work. Making up time on Saturdays is a sure way for me to say. Stop opening up e-mails and FB and just get into God’s work FIRST then do the rest if you have time!

• Jennifer says:

I am still not spending as much time in prayer as I am in need of. I am going through a very trying time in my life so honestly I need to be in prayer I feel 24/7 and be prayed for daily by those that are strong in our Lord.

I am grateful for this online bible study group:-)

• Hien says:

I’m in residency, far from home. I moved in with a person I had never met before, a lady closer to my mother’s age. She has taken me in and treated me like a daughter. She makes sure I’m fed and cleans up after me while I work my average 80 hr weeks. She works around 60 hr weeks too. I don’t deserve her at all. She’s been rescuing me for a year and a half now.

I love stories like this, how God places mother figures into our lives to nurture and protect us when we need it most. Thank you for sharing this Hien.

• Barbara M says:

Just a comment brought to my mind—After reading several people write about others helping them during illness, etc., I remembered a time that a dear friend had surgery. I wanted to help her so badly. I did cook a meal, but she refused to let me help in any other way, such as keeping her children, transportation, help with household chores. That taught me to gratefully accept help when I am the “needy” one. I don’t want any helper to miss a blessing by refusing their offers.

• Marietta says:

1.Do you remember a time in your life when you tried to exercise faith without prayer? (page 127 )

Yes. Many, many years ago I made a decision to get a divorce which I believed was the right one (exercising faith) under the circumstances but I don’t remember praying about it.

2.Name a spiritual failure and how it can be connected to a lack of faith in God. (page 127 )
    Skipping this one …

3.When has the least expected person come to your rescue like a Good Samaritan? (page 141 )

As I was climbing a very long and steep flight of staris with heavy luggage, I heard a man’s voice behind me say “It’s okay” in the little bit of English he knew. Then he came up from behind me and took my heavy bag all the rest of the way to my room.

4.Share something from this week that you enjoyed.

On Day One this week as we read about spiritual failure, God gave me an insight into a characteristic of my personality that he wants me to change and that is an attitude of indifference to others. It’s my protection from their rejection of me and it makes my heart hard. I’m asking for his help in replacing that with attentiveness.

• Mindy says:

I pray often, but my prayers frequently are “gimmee” lists, where I’m asking God for what I want and doing all the talking. I’m working on changing that and being more in relation with God during prayers, so that my faith can be exercised, and I can hear God.

Worrying – which really comes down to wanting your way and stressing out if things look like they might take a different course. Rather than trusting that whatever happens, God will take care of you and you’ll be okay.

I can’t recall a specific instance, but I know that it’s happened. I know I’ve felt humbled and ashamed of my own ego/judgment in expecting the worse from someone who then shows me their best.

4.Share something from this week that you enjoyed.

I enjoyed the story of the “Good Samaritan” and the reminder that anybody and everybody is a ‘neighbor.’ Anyone who is placed into my life/path is an opportunity… and I’m reminded to show love to all and not be too busy/distracted/impatient/etc to just stop, look up, and take notice of what and whom God has placed before me.

• Jennifer K says:

Thank you everyone for your posts they are all very insightful and inspiring. It’s funny how reading things others have written makes you remember or think about your own life and heart.

1. Right now! I mean my and husband and I pray but I don’t feel like we are really getting down and dirty praying like we should. We are going through some life challenges with my husband being laid off now for 6 months. I know God has been with us and providing for us for sure but I also have this nagging at my heart telling me we aren’t being truly faithful and surrendering to Him in prayer the way He wants.

1. Prayer is one thing I struggle with. I get so wrapped up in the “gimmes”… Lord, give me this, bless me this way, heal so and so, etc. etc. I have really tried recently to follow the example of the prayer Jesus gave. I have been keeping a prayer journal, but I really desire to “pray continually… pray without ceasing”. So, yes, I can think of many times when I have tried to exercise faith without intensely praying. I would do what I “thought” was right and often find it blowing up in my face.
    2. Adultery, murder, drug use are all problems in our society today. All involve strong emotions. They stem from a lack of faith, because most result from some kind of emptiness, a need to fill, and the individual is trying to fill that need in some other manner. Sometimes the individual doesn’t even realize there is a need to be filled.
    4. I loved this week! I have been reading Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World and it has gone along perfectly. Also, starting reading my Bible through and Matthew has been where I’ve been at, and most of the readings went along with that… I’d be reading the Study and think, Hey, I read about that yesterday. I love how God does that! I also really needed to think about making priorities. My work started back this week and the beginning of the semester is hectic, this one especially becuase I am teaching new content that I have to study. There never seems to be enough time in the day! But I have really tried to stop, get up in the morning and let God lead my day. I figure He’ll show me what needs to be done, and the rest can wait!
    God bless each of you! =)

• Eileen says:

Lauren said, “let God lead my day. I figure He’ll show me what needs to be done, and the rest can wait!”
      Wow. That is very timely advice for me. I have been so overwhelmed with virtually every area in my life and feeling so frustrated that no matter how hard I try, I can never seem to catch up… at work, at home, in my volunteer activities!! I’m even dreaming about frustrating, behind-the-8-ball type things and then not sleeping well…
      Thank you, I was very blessed and instantly calmed by your timely words of wisdom!!
      God bless you all!! : )
      Eileen

• Sue says:

Wow this was a powerful and intense lesson week. I actually had some questions/difficulty and so googled and found something called Wiersbe Bible Commentary, some of which was online. A couple things were extremely helpful to me, as follows:
    1) But our highest joy is not found in service or even in our salvation, but in being submitted to the sovereign will of the heavenly Father, for this is the foundation for both service and salvation.
    2) Jesus was not rejoicing because sinners were blind to God’s truth for God “is not willing that any should perish” (2Peter3:9). He rejoiced because the understanding of that truth did not depend on natural abilities or education.
    And somewhere in this lesson:
    In His sovereign will, God has ordained that sinners must humble themselves before they can be lifted up.

Sue, I have the Wiersbe Bible Commentary set and love it. I turn to it also when I’m struggling to understand something or am looking for additional insight.

• Magaly says:

3. Last year I had broken my foot, I had lost my job and was unable to pay to go to the doctor. A friend of mine called me, out of the blue, and proceeded to apologize for neglecting to help me sooner, she asked me what my greatest need was and paid for my visit.
    Many people are quick to SAY call me if you need anything but very few actually MEAN it.

4. I enjoyed the whole chapter. One of my prayers to God is please do not let ME be self deceived and this chapter made me take a deeper look at myself and my attitudes. Repentance offers a cleansing that my heart needs.

1. Do you remember a time in your life when you tried to exercise faith without prayer? Yes, we were thinking about moving to Texas to live in a Christian community. We did not pray over this and it was our will, not God’s. So we canceled our decision to move until He tells us to do so.

2. Name a spiritual failure and how it can be connected to a lack of faith in God. Judging others, assumes we know more than God.

3. When has the least expected person come to your rescue like a Good Samaritan? Our neighbors started caring for us while my husband was in the hospital for 2 weeks with a rare blood disease, his platelet count was one. I was 5 months pregnant, so the neighbors mowed the lawn and moved out the trash cans. My husband and I were not Christian at the time, and these were neighbors we mocked. When he was ill, they said “I’ll pray for you.” They made us aware we were not praying for ourselves.

4. Share something from this week that you enjoyed. I liked Beth’s story of Martha and Mary and how her office is organized by role.

• Jen M says:

I was having a difficult time trying to answer these questions, and when I saw your reply to #3, it triggered a memory of when my husband was in a car accident and left him in a serious condition. People came out of the woodwork to help me, both financially and doing the maintenance around the house and yard. The people who came to my aid were not even necessarily the people I considered my closest friends (some were). But situations like that definitely show us the compassion in others.

I too very much enjoyed the Mary/Martha story. I really get it now, how Martha was doing the right thing and Jesus loved her, but Mary just really needed some Jesus time! I feel like that sometimes, as if I am the one doing all the work and everyone else gets to “enjoy the party”. Jesus did appreciate the work that Martha did, and she was a real blessing to others around her.

• Sue says:

Your reply in # 3 moves me to tears. I think we all can relate to a time when “we mocked others”. What a beautiful story here about Christian love (and action) toward neighbors.

Thank you Sue, I want to be transparent so the people I lead realize that God has changed me. My past is no different from anyone else in this group. I’m not perfect, never was, and it helps me to reveal my flaws so the Holy Spirit can reshape them.

I am embarrassed to say that I have been trying to believe for the salvation of several of my immediate family members but have not been persistent or consistent in praying.

Anxiety = lack of faith in God’s ability to provide the necessities of life.

But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which is alive today and tomorrow is thrown into the furnace, will He not much more clothe you? You of little faith! Matthew 6:30

4. Share something from this week that you enjoyed.

Day 4, The Heart of a Neighbor, was meaningful for me this week. When I see need I usually say a prayer asking God to provide for them and move on. I am going to change my prayer and ask God to show me how I can help.

• Sue says:

I had the same reaction this week! I too pray as soon as something happens — whether it’s an ambulance siren, car accident, whatever. While I’m not thinking I can help in big instances, I too thought I need to include in all my prayers to show me what I can do. I’ve been more of a pray-er than a do-er.

Love what you said about Day 4… made me think of “My Own LIttle World” by Matthew West. I am so guilty of doing that as well!

• Barbara M says:

1 Thinking back on the years when my children were young, I tried to be involved in many of their church activities. It was so easy to get caught up in the programs, busyness of church. Even though programs were good, sometimes I would find I was acting on my own instead of at God’s leading. I began to realize that I should have prayed more — and taken more time to be still and listen to Him.

1. My prayer life is a short one, I try and exercise more faith in the way I show people, I am doing the walk than in doing the talk. I tend to pray prayers of watch over everyone I know…kind of a BIG BLANKET PRAYER….please do not get me wrong I try and pray for specific people and their needs. I feel better if I can spend more time in prayer during the day….just talking to God as I go along and do daily things….I cover more ground that way.

2. When I wasn’t “walking the walk” and going about doing worldly things and not paying any attention to spiritual things, I find myself falling back into my old habits of lying, stealing, and with more temper and anger in my life. I find if I do not have Jesus in my life that I just fall apart.

3. A friend of mine from a far, far away city by the sea, came to my financial aid.

4. This week I realized how much I needed to learn to lean more on Jesus and not depend on myself for answers so much. I cannot go it alone any more.

• Judee Baysinger says:

The person I least expected help from was an old friend who lives quite a ways away. When we were neighbors we were very close. I’m sorry to say I don’t see or hear from her much anymore.
    I lost my teaching job and was trying to make extra money with a ” home party” type job and I called her to see if she would have a party for me. She is a teacher and I was hoping she would get several orders from her school.
    She had the party for me and it was pretty much a flop. I was very disappointed but it was good to see my friend.
    She never had much money and her father had passed away, which I didn’t know when I went to her house, and had left her some money. I was very happy for her. She deserved a little extra. She lead a hard life and had a very hard time.
    When I got home I found $500 in my bag. She had slipped it in when I wasn’t looking. The money was definitely a GOD SEND from the last place in world I would have expected it.
    In Christ,

• Sue says:

Thank you for this story about how your friend helped. It inspires me to hear how people are moved to help — what a beautiful way that your friend did this. She had the party. She placed money anonymously in your bag. And, the last place you expected help. God in His ways is so deeply touching.

• CK says:

1. Daily prayer is something I still struggle with. I have been finding myself “talking the talk” but having difficulty “walking the walk”. This is something I am working hard on in the New Year because I really do notice a difference in my day when I start it with prayer, even a short one.
    2. I was in a previous relationship where I thought I knew best and I knew what was right for me so I tried to steer it in the direction that I wanted it to go, afraid to recognize that God was trying to show me a different path…I just didn’t trust Him for the longest time. Finally though, I realized how much easier things can be when you let go of control. Tough for me, I’m a total Type A!
    3. Mine was a friend I had thought had abandoned our friendship long ago. I was having some personal struggles and this person reached out to me across the miles when I least expected it…what a gift!
    4. Though it is tough for me, I really enjoyed working on my faith this week. It is comforting to know that I am not the only one who struggles at times with my faith and it was very reassuring to go through the week’s scripture and exercises to help me find a way of making my faith a continuous part of me and not something I rely on only when I need it.

CK, glad to know I’m not the only one who struggles with prayer! I know it is about communicating with God, and I truly desire to do that… but come to think of it, I’m not a real great communicator with anyone! I would much rather sit in silence than have to initiate a conversation because I am shy… guess that is transposing into my prayer life, as well… but I definitely don’t want to sit in silence with God!!!

I am right there with you girls in the struggle for consistent prayer. I learned in the Spiritual Warfare study that prayer doesn’t always come easily for us because the enemy opposes us and makes it difficult and that we have to persist and break through the barriers. Let’s keep at it! We already have the victory, we just need to claim it!