One and Only Week 3: The Way and Life

We’ve just finished with week three of Jesus the One and Only by Beth Moore, looking at the early ministry of Christ. We walked right into the early ministry of Jesus as we read through Luke and John. When we saw Jesus healing the sick, we saw a healing of sins. As we observed Jesus interacting with the Pharisees and teachers, we saw he taught with authority. When he selected the 12 apostles from all disciples, we saw he prayed before important decisions. This was “the way and the life of Jesus the one and only.” Beth presented us with five insights into the life of Christ:

1. Jesus is in our homes
  2. Jesus engages in our lives
  3. Jesus rebukes the sin, not the person
  4. Jesus encounters much desperation
  5. Jesus is determined

While reading about the insights this week, we had the opportunity to come closer to the Son we love, just a few days before celebrating His birth on Christmas Day.

Study Break

We had a few more women join us this week and they are just starting the study- Welcome! We discussed having a one week break and based on the opinion poll, just over fifty percent asking not to take a break, we are NOT taking a break. When we started the study many knew that the week of Christmas would be a challenge. We normally have 150 or more women in the study and this time we have about half the amount, some of the regular participants decided to wait until after the busy holiday. To accommodate those who are falling behind, we will have a one week break between this study and the next. So Stepping Up Through Psalms by Beth Moore will begin February 15, 2011 and you’ll have a week between these two studies.

Heavenly Father, as I draw closer to you this week of Christmas, I seek the alone time to be wrapped in Your Presence. Reveal to me any specific areas in my life where I am not obedient to your will. If You, in Your wisdom and plan see a purpose I am not filling, reveal it to me so that I may do your will, not mine. In Jesus name, amen.

We welcome any prayer needs from the group and ask that you will print a copy of the prayers, place them, in your workbook and pray for these women. If you have a prayer request for our prayer wall, please click here.

Beth Moore Quotes

• Unchecked anger can easily lead to unchecked behavior regardless of how much we attend church.
  • Meanness at church sometimes exceeds anything that occurs in secular surroundings.
  • God lives in the hearts of those who trust Him and in the homes of those who provide room for Him.
  • God can use the worst of circumstances to introduce us to the best of relationships.
  • Few people are more compelled to serve than those who have experienced the healing power of Christ.
  • His hands may be currently invisible but His prints appear in countless restored lives.
  • Few things require more strength than submission.
  • They were not prepared to receive their call until they confronted their sin.
  • Bathe yourself in the river of God’s forgiveness.
  • Christ was blameless yet blamed continuously.

This Week’s Scripture Verse-NIV

When the other ten heard of this conversation, they lost their tempers with James and John. Jesus got them together to settle things down. “You’ve observed how godless rulers throw their weight around,” he said, “and when people get a little power how quickly it goes to their heads. It’s not going to be that way with you. Whoever wants to be great must become a servant. Whoever wants to be first among you must be your slave. That is what the Son of Man has done: He came to serve, not to be served—and then to give away his life in exchange for many who are held hostage.” Mark 41-45 The Message

His teaching was so forthright, so confident, so authoritative, not the quibbling and quoting they were used to. Luke 4:43 The Message

I must proclaim the good news of the kingdom of God to the other towns also, because that is why I was sent. Luke 4:43 NIV

Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters. Col 3:23 NIV

You will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving. Col 3:24 NIV

The Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins. Luke 5:24 NIV

• Read Week Four in the workbook
  • Listen to the Session Four Audio (optional)
  • OR…Listen to the Session Four Video (optional)

1. Christ chose to minister His way and not the way of the teachers or Pharisees. What do you think their way would have been? (page 57)
  2. What circumstances led to the invitation for Christ to come into your home? (page 61)
  3. have you ever been paralyzed by sin? (page 71)
  4. Share something you  enjoyed from this week’s study.

• Carin says:

Trying hard to catch up!

•What do you think the Pharisees way was?- I think they just wanted him to perform miracles.

•Inviting Christ into our home- As I wrote down my answer I felt like I am a broken record. All the studies I have taken on the Bible Café it always comes down to the same answer. Money issues….However, my husband’s lack of employment has made him dig into God’s word everyday that he is home. We pray for favor in our business, we pray for help financially etc… God is invited more times than ever by this storm we are in. I find it a blessing but it is scary everyday.

•What I enjoyed this week- On page 66- Christ knows more about our jobs than we do! I read this to my husband. Our construction business has been SUPER slow & the very small jobs he has had only replenishes the business account to keep it open. I know God has a plan. I read to my husband that when it was time God FILLED Peter’s boat so full of fish they needed another boat. Both boats were so full they started to sink! I realized AGAIN we need to continue to trust God in his timing!!

It’s terrifying when God teaches us to depend on Him and not on money, I’ve been there many times. I wonder if He prepares you for some kind of mission work? Does your husband volunteer in your church missions team, or Habitat for Humanity? I just finished reading the book “How to Reach Your Full Potential for God” and there are examples in the book about construction workers working for God. Recommend the book, its on sale at Amazon for about $7. I’d send you my copy but I wrote all over the pages with notes on how to fulfill my potential 😉

Carin, your perseverance shows your character and my prayer is that God will fill you and your husband’s boat to overflowing. Keep trusting and seeking Him!

• Jennifer says:

My response:

Christ was here for us and unlike the religious teachers of the day HE had nothing to prove or disprove regarding the state of HIS character or condition of HIS soul. When we are truly free of sin we are free to fully express and give the gifts of GOD and the Fruits of HIS Spirit. Jesus was able to connect with each person’s soul condition and minister from that stand point. The religious teachers of that day would have been much more concerned with making themselves seem or look good to the ones that they should have been ministering to. But the sick cannot heal the sick!!

• Jennifer K says:

2. Well really I just wanted Him to be a part of our family and home. When I was getting married one of my priorities was making sure God was there with us and He still is as our leader and to assure we have a spiritually healthy home for our son and eachother.

3. Yes I have been paralyzed by sin and I am happy to say that part of my life I have been freed from but that doesn’t mean I have forgotten how bad it was and how lost I felt. God brought me down to such a low place that before I knew it I was looking up to him begging to be forgiven and to move on with my life with Him healing me from the inside.

1) It would have been like a rule book – strict, regimented. They could not deviate from it. Also, they would need to listen and learn but don’t question it!

2) I had a void in my life. I felt that something was missing. At the time, a Christian friend prayed with me. From that point forward, I never felt the void ever again. God has been with me ever since but now I am walking more seriously with Him.

3) Yes and still do. I have an unhealthy addiction that I put before God. This is something that has plagued me my whole life. I feel paralized by it.

4) I loved the “Day 4” section of the workbook – If You are Willing. It brought clarity to God’s healing power and whether or not He does give us physical/emotional healing based on His eternal purpose. Beth gave me more clarity and acceptance regarding why some people get healed while others don’t.

• Laura says:

Christ chose to minister His way and not the way of the teachers or Pharisees. What do you think their way would have been? They would want to continue with the ever expanding rules, and strict adherence to them. They would not have wanted to change who was in power, or have any threat to what they were in power over.
    What circumstances led to the invitation for Christ to come into your home? When my 1st husband abandon his family I was in a place of no control, fear, and was not the strong person I had always been or am now. I prayed, but had NO Biblical foundation, I was seeking but ….. God brought my current husband into my life answered many prayers and has given me blessings beyond my imagination. Now I am strong but strong with Him.
    have you ever been paralyzed by sin? Ahhhh, nope
    Share something you enjoyed from this week’s study I think I have a rebellious nature, not in braking the “rules” way but in the way of questioning, of a desire to stand for a justice that may not be a popular stand. Thank God. I think Jesus was that way too. He didn’t fit the mold the rebellious Jews had, like taking up arms… But he did rebel against the system and the injustices it imposed. I like that about him. His outspokenness, makes me smile.

• Jaimie says:

1. Non-threatening, non-accusing, nothing that would cause them to want or need to change their ways. They were so caught up in legalism, and that was just the way they liked it.

3. Definitely. I have lived in such a pit of sin that I feel my entire life was crippled for a very long time. I wasn’t moving forward, I wasn’t growing as a person. I was just stagnant.

• Magaly says:

1. Restricted, boxed and religious.

2. What caused Jesus to come into my home??? My complete and total despair brought on by total rebelliousness and disobedience.

3. & 4. YES YES YES!! Just like Beth said those who have been healed by the Lord find it is easy to serve him!! I was paralyzed by drug & alcohol addiction living a life of death BUT GOD. It took me getting arrested and losing everything 5 years ago to finally completely surrender my life to the Lover of MY SOUL! It was there, on that bunk that Jesus healed my heart, it was there behind bars that He set me free, it was there, without my family, without my friends that I found the One that would NEVER LEAVE ME NOR FORSAKE ME!!! I truly understand how Beth Moore feels about wanting to start every chapter with OH How I love Him!! He is my Lover, my Friend, my Strength, my Peace!!! God has taken what the enemy meant for evil and has used it for good! Ministering to the homeless, the women in jail & other addicts; TODAY ONLY GOD GETS THE GLORY!!! HE IS WORTHY TO BE PRAISED!!!

My prayer to all this season:

“May The Lord bless you and keep you;

May the Lord make his face shine upon you

and be gracious to you; may the Lord turn his face toward you

and give you peace.”’ God Bless!!

• Sue says:

I praise God for you. My son always says our God is the God of second chances. He named one of his sons JONAH to represent this. I love hearing your testimony of how Jesus saved you from the deepest pit, which only He can do. God bless you. I also love that prayer, especially May the Lord make his face shine upon you. God bless you greatly and keep you in His continuous light.

1. I think the Pharisee’s way of ministering is how we try to minister sometimes today. We get so caught up in the problems and how WE are going to try to fix it that we forget the remedy. The Pharisees were very legalistic and couldn’t see past one way of doing things. They were very pompous and about self-glorification. They ministered with their mouths but not with their hearts, speaking with eloquent but empty speech.
    2. I want Jesus to help my family. I have a young son and I want him to grow up knowing Christ intimately, not from a distance.
    3.I think it is easy to become paralyzed by sin. So many times I have had a bad attitude, knowing that my behavior is unpleasing to God, and instead of moving toward God by reading my Bible and praying, like I know that I need to, I just quit. Lay down and die. Then I feel worse and worse and eventually I have wallowed in so much self-pity that I am stuck. The only way NOT to become paralyzed by sin is realize that it’s already defeated… that’s why Christ came to earth.
    4. I have enjoyed seeing Christ’s ministry this week. I love how he has chosen each and every one of us, not because we are in an elevated and important position, or because of our individual characteristics, but because He loves us. I also was touched by the fact that He was willing to complete His assignment, and that we must be willing to accept His commission. On the day that I was working through day 3, I had a really difficult day at work, and it was so good to come home and read, “Christ knows more about our jobs than we do.” So very like God to have words there right when you need to hear them!
    Hope all of you have a very Merry Christmas!!!!

• Hien says:

“Have you ever been paralyzed by sin?” Sad to say that I was very paralyzed by sin for over half a year just half a year ago. I had just started residency in an entirely new state, all alone, and without time to develop new friendships/relationships. Instead of focusing on the task of residency He’d set before me, I tended to my loneliness and fell into an ocean of sin with a fellow sister in Christ. As I said, that was half a year ago. Since then I’ve been “Seeking Him” and “Breaking Free” as best I can. It’s still hard, but I’m thankful for a God who loves us unconditionally, is full of grace, and is forever faithful.

Glad to hear the Lord picked you up and put your feet back on the path He wanted you on. Isn’t His love so fulfilling and powerful! When we’re back in His presence after leaving it for awhile, the feeling of being LOVED just overflows. God’s love is not like human love- His love is never ending. I’m thankful we are both Daughters of the King- and when we neglect our crown and it gets a bit dusty, the Prince of Peace comes down and reminds us we are His -and lights up the crown. (sorry I’m so visual ) 🙂

• Magaly says:

Keep being visual it’s what we all need!!!! I agree 100% with you in remembering that we are Daughters of the THE KING!!! Oh how the enemy fights us women with condemnation so we’ll forget!!! I have found a crown with a heart design that I’m buying to put over my headboard for just this reason, so I”LL REMEMBER who I am and how much my daddy loves me!!! Thanks for your encouragemnt!

• Joanna says:

1.Christ chose to minister His way and not the way of the teachers or Pharisees. What do you think their way would have been? (page 57)
    -The Pharisees wouldve given us rules to follow in order to be saved, we might have not even be allowed near them. We wouldve probably have to pay for miracles.
    Sometimes if we don’t watch ourselves closely we too act like Pharisees. I pray that the Lord will help to keep my heart clean.

2.What circumstances led to the invitation for Christ to come into your home?
    Trails, divorce , depression

3.have you ever been paralyzed by sin? (page 71)
    Yes, the second time I was involved in the sin because I couldn’t believe that I let myself commit that sin that I swore to God I wouldn’t ever do again.

• Jen M says:

1. The Pharisees would’ve chose the legalistic way to minister. Just follow the rules and you will be OK. Obviously, Christ wants it to be from the heart, not just following the book!

2. Christ has always been a part of my home, since I was raised in a Christian home. But what really changed my relationship with Him was seeing the Passion of the Christ and watching Judas really hit home. I was Judas. I was sickened and appalled to find that I had so much in common with the ancient villain. I asked Him to show me the kind of person He wanted me to be.

4. I particularly enjoyed being reminded of the verse in Col 3 that tells us whatever we do, we should do for the Lord. It completely changes my perspective. I really needed to hear that this week. Sometimes I get so overwhelmed by things but then I am reminded that if I keep my focus in the right place, everything else will follow that focus. And it is easier to submit to my boss when I’m not doing things for him–instead I am doing them for the Lord!

That is a great verse… as you said, so many times it is easy to get caught up in just doing… while in all things we are doing we should be trying to bring Him glory. Sadly, I fall short of this often… but He still loves us and keeps giving us opportunities to serve!

• Judee Baysinger says:

The thing about this weeks study that really hit home with was the fact Jesus was also human. So often we think of Him as this super man who never tires or gets cranky or has any problems with money or kids or jobs or anything. Jesus was a full blooded human man.He suffered all the things that I do and maybe more besides, I’ve never been flogged or run out of town. He knew in advance that all of this was going to happen to Him and He chose to love me anyway. I love you my LORD and Savior. Have a Happy Birthday.
    In Christ.

• Mindy says:

They certainly liked rules and guidelines to point to and follow explicitly. I think Christ confused them by bringing love and compassion into the mix.

2.What circumstances led to the invitation for Christ to come into your home? (page 61)

Heartbreak and loneliness… turning to God for comfort. And he was there with open arms inviting me to crawl up into his lap.

3.have you ever been paralyzed by sin? (page 71)

Yes, I’ve known I was sinning and tried to hide from/ignore God. It’s a terribly unsettling and uncomfortable place to be… I’m thankful he never let me go, and led me back to him.

4.Share something you enjoyed from this week’s study.

I laughed out loud at Beth’s comment about the audience being distracted by the friends lowering the paralytic down from the roof. I’ve pictured it in my head just that way – as totally distracting and rather humorous, and appreciated that she had the same visual :o)

I also got great appreciation for Jesus and the time he gave to us. There was a lot of “discussion” this week about being too busy to continue this study without a break and I understand that. And it makes me thank Jesus for his devotion and time given to us.

• Jennifer K says:

I totally agree with your response from #3 God does a good job at making us uncomfortable when we ignore Him which I am thankful that He is reminds us he isn’t going away!

• Marietta says:

They might have ministered in a way that did not cause conflict, or with healings and actions that maintained the strenuous manmade laws. They wanted a king in the earthly sense. If jesus had begun a powerful revolution against the Romans, they might have been more receptive.

My own Bible study during this year. God has allowed me to get to know him better and to have peace in my heart and therefore in my home.

3.have you ever been paralyzed by sin? (page 71)

Two times come to mind, both having to do with decision about men I was dating or married to. Both times I was paralyzed and found making a decision difficult. Though I was a Christian, I had not been following, studying or obeying Christ. I see now that we cannot call on Jesus “just when we are in trouble” but must seek him continuously in order to know his voice.

4.Share something you enjoyed from this week’s study.

I loved hearing that Satan is not everywhere at all times. He is not like God! I also enjoyed the discussion about being busy and yet making time for our study of Christ and prayer. If we allow, God will help us set our priorities. I have found all week that starting my day with God has set the rest of my day in peaceful and joyful motion.

Whew! I agree this week has been a tough one. Hang in there everyone!

I think I may have read this question differently than others. I wasn’t thinking of the synagogue members as the teachers and Pharisees so my answer was I think the synagogue members’ way would have been the easy, don’t get in my face, feel good way. They wanted to hear the fun, fancy, pretty stuff but not the hard stuff.

My elderly parents’ health issues and a sibling’s emotional instability. I believe that God called me back into relationship with Him at the time He did because He knew that I would need Him like never before with the situations that have come up in the last year. He is so faithful and good.

4. Share something you enjoyed from this week’s study.
    I thoroughly enjoyed picturing the paralytic being lowered through the roof to get to Jesus. Oh that I would have that kind of faith, perseverance and friends!

1. Christ chose to minister His way and not the way of the teachers or Pharisees. What do you think their way would have been? Legalism. They would do everything according to custom and tradition, following rules for the purpose of saying “we did not violate any of them” which leads to pride. So in their pride, they were unable to see Jesus the King. Isn’t God amazing!

2. What circumstances led to the invitation for Christ to come into your home? A series of events drew me closer to God and back into His presence. This all happened in 2001 the year of the terrorist attacks of 9/11 so what was intended to destroy my sense of security actually brought me greater security.

3. Have you ever been paralyzed by sin? Yes and I felt like a disabled person. I was unable to see how God saw me, I was hiding from others, I felt Satan place labels on my back and I really disliked my life. There is a difference between humility and hiding, and I was hiding from God because of my spiritual paralysis.

4. Share something you enjoyed from this week’s study. I enjoyed the sheer beauty and grace of Jesus. His life comes alive in these pages of scripture and I enjoyed seeing him from the perspective of those he encountered. Can you just imagine….being with HIM….in His human presence! I am forever thankful we have the Bible as a road map to His life.

• Jennifer says:

Me too, I am a bit behind in my studies but wanted to at least checkin. I just responded to week two in the wee hours of this morning. I will check in again on Thursday or Friday to respond to week# 3. Merry Christmas all!

Jennifer,

If you havr time please read my post from earlier, I think I am the frist one. I was way behind but got caught up on Monday. Please take your time and a deep breath and you will make it. Will be praying for you.

• Jaimie says:

Hi girls! I’m a little behind but will be back later in the week to discuss, hopefully by Thursday! Please pray for my focus and attention on the study. I haven’t been making the best use of my time. Thanks!

Praying.

I felt a little ADD while studying this week. I was so frustrated and hitting my head because I just DID NOT GET IT. Over and over, I read the verses and the questions Beth asked and I felt like an absolute moron. After 30 minutes of this….I finally realized I was still reading in the book of John and Beth was back in Luke again. ARGH! Talk about frustrating. Once I had my eyes on the CORRECT page the study made perfect sense. So with understanding, I pray for your focus and attention to be in the Word and on the RIGHT page.

On another day, I was reading about Jesus healing the sick. My 9-yr old daughter sat beside me, with a barf bucket near her head, throwing up since 3:00AM. I thought about the “realness”of the scripture as I prayed for and watched God heal my daughter. It was another unforgettable moment with God. 😉

Christine,

Glad you are back on track. I was behind this week due to Alec being sick. I got caught up yesterday all of it, and as much as I love Beth Moore a lot of her in one setting goes along way. LOL.

Hope all is well at your house now.

Blessing to all.

Glad you are back on track too Sue. One thing I love is once I start reading, I do to want to stop. So I find myself going to the next day study, and before you know it, I’m done with an entire week. To make sure I still remain in His presence all week, I fill those days by reading Christian books, listening to worship music, or listening to the audio CD’s for the study. I also listen to pastors on iTunes while I am working. If my day does not have God in it, I’m unbalanced!

• Jen M says:

I too feel a little frazzled this week. Although I planned to make time over the Christmas holiday, some events occurred that I was not planning for (including the third case of stomach flu in my household) so I will also post later. I need to get back into the right frame of mind because I am having a hard time focusing today. I would rather wait and do the questions some justice than shooting off answers that haven’t been thought out!

Praying for complete healing for you and your family Jen. Merry Christmas!!!

Jen M,

Just take it oone day at a time, if you can only 10 or 15 mins. a day it will help inthe long. I got caught doing the whole week in one day and that is alot to do…this was do to my husband being ill. I am praying all of you will be over the flu. Will pray for your frame of mind also. Blessing to each and everyone of your family.

Jamie,

My focus was out the window and door this week(last week), my husdand was in terrible pain, so was up with him most of the week. I caught up on all of it on Monday. So my prayes are with you and refocusing.

• Sue says:

They burdened people with their own rules on top of God’s laws such that the meaning of God’s laws was no longer primary and evident to people. The people were downtrodden by the very teachers who should have brought them God’s love, forgiveness, mercy and compassion.

Extreme fear and grief over my (then) teenage son’s life and devastation that I had contributed by not teaching God’s love, power, mercy, help, guidance and JESUS to him in his formative years.

3.have you ever been paralyzed by sin? (page 71)
    I don’t remember being paralyzed by anything but sheer terror and fear. Unexpectedly and miraculously, I was relieved of fear and terror by God when I turned to Him.

4.Share something you enjoyed from this week’s study.
    God gave me exciting, inspiring ideas of how to present Him to my youngest grandchildren, especially once who was born blind. For example, I can explain the difference between physical sight and spiritual sight, hearing, and heart. It is a completely level playing field for everyone; no one has an advantage — the same is required of all, and the same is available to all.
    I also enjoyed that in this study I was immediately motivated to turn from a sin and to repent — as if love from and of Jesus is paramount to me.

Sue, in response to your answer to question 2, I hope your son is well. I have a 17 year old son that I did not raise to know Jesus personally and my heart aches over my missed opportunity so I can absolutely understand what you are saying.

• Sue says:

Thank you. My son suffered a very great deal (and me too) because of my rebellion and withdrawal from God as an adult. But when things were completely bleakest and I had tried everything EXCEPT God, I finally turned to Him. It was a huge turning. It changed my life. I later wrote down every miracle of healing and deliverance that Jesus performed in the New Testament and then prayed to Him upon those scriptures on behalf of my son. After 18 months, my son was saved and entered a relationship with Jesus. It was really something, as we often prayed together — even over my son’s (then) old jalopy car that shouldn’t have run but did. We called it the Jesus car. Anyway, that was all back in the late 80s to mid 90s. We are still believing and loving Jesus. Thank you. I can never stop being grateful to God — for saving me and even, most of all, for saving my son and changing our lives. Our past choices still have consequences to this day, but I trust God. He promised to turn all things to good for those who love Him and are called according to His purposes. I trust Him and pray that my faith and love will endure most especially in the trials and tests of life.

1. I think the Pharisees were very strict, tight, laced bunched, of old stuff shirted man. People just had to sit there and not ask any questions. They did not know the Law of God very well, they just knew there law and wanted it that way. Could you just sit there and be quite??? I could not!!!! YEAH for Jesus.

2. Christ’s invitation to come into my home is by the way, I have been saved, prayer, believing in Him, and Jesus helping to keep Satan at bay. Way to go Jesus.

3. , I have been paralyzed by sin…when I was a rebellious teen and into my late twenties, and was into sinning bad… I did not care what happen to me, and paralyzed I would go to jail over some of the things I did…I did end up in jail a few times overnight. So glad Jesus sat me free and came into my life.

4. Imaging Jesus teaching to the crowds and than going to be by himself to be alone, and pray. I can relate to that, I just run into my prayer closet and pray. This just shows his human side more to me…makes Him more approachable to me…just knowing He HAD to get away also from the people, so he could just be with His Father.

Number 4 caught my attention as well Sue. In his decisions, Jesus did not depend on his own knowledge but on the knowledge of God. He found his quiet place and prayed. He fed on the Word.

Reading this just made me think. I tend to go off on my own spontaneously and try to “fix” everything myself… but if even God’s son needed that quiet time with Him to figure out what He needed to do, how much more should I seek God the Father?