Welcome back to the Womens Bible Cafe and our discussion of Jesus the One and Only. We just finished reading week one, as Beth Moore walked us through the prophecy of Zechariah to the birth of the Savior. As we studied scripture this week, we looked at the historical time line and compared it to the biblical time line, filling in the event chart on page 31 of the workbook. If you listened to the audio Introduction, we learned about a 400 year famine where God’s people did not hear His voice. During this time, His people fell under into the security of legalism and took their eyes and hearts off God. From the time of Malachi to Gabriel, God was silent 400 years. Can you just imagine the craving people had to see and hear God!
In our study this week, the angel Gabriel made two appearances. First to the priest and second to Mary. Scripture testifies two different reactions to the angelic visit, and also the reactions of those surrounding the recipient of the prophecy. We saw at the end of the week, the prophecy held true and God revealed Himself to His people in the form of a tiny baby.
We are updating prayer requests once a week on Wednesday. Please submit your request and it will be emailed to the group tomorrow. If you have a prayer request please click here.
Beth Moore Quotes
- God used the withholding of His words to prepare for the revealing of The Word.
- God the Father allowed His Son to be “adopted” into a family on earth so that we could be adopted into His family in Heaven.
- Jesus has been the most consistent and most important Word in my life.
- He who knows no sin feels for us who do.
- Fulfilled prophecy demonstrates the incredible veracity (truthfulness) of the Word of God.
- The Son of God had come to earth, wrapped in a tiny cloak of human flesh.
- The untouchable hand of God reaches down to touch the fallen hand of man.
This Week’s Scripture Verse-NIV
The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth. John 1:14
Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign: The virgin will conceive and give birth to a son, and will call him Immanuel. Isaiah 7:14
The Son is the radiance of God’s glory and the exact representation of his being, sustaining all things by his powerful word. Hebrews 1:3
Faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead. James 2:17
For Next Week
- Read Week Two in the workbook
- Listen to the Session Two Audio (optional)
- OR…Listen to the Session Two Video (optional)
Group Discussion- Answer one question or as many as you like
- Compare the encounters Zechariah and Mary each had with the angel Gabriel. Why do you suppose the angel responded differently to their question? There is no wrong or right answer for this. (page 17 )
- What would be the question you would want to ask Mary, if you ever get the chance in heaven? (page 17 )
- What is your favorite part of The Christmas Story (page 27 )
- Share your thoughts about this week’s lesson.