Spiritual Warfare 401

By November 28, 2010Invisible War

We’ve finished our last week of study with a lesson on Spiritual Warfare 401. In this lesson from the book The Invisible War, author Chip Ingram discusses deliverance from demonic influence; a lesson on how to respond when the enemy is already inside your life. We looked at intercessory prayer, which Ingram believes is missing in the life of most Christians and churches today. He stressed the importance of prayer which is consistent, intense and strategic and gave us the example of praying ACTS. We’ve used this prayer method in my church small group and if you’re not already doing this I recommend you give it a try!

Praying ACTS

1. Adoration- give praise to God
  2. Confession-confess to God
  3. Thanksgiving-give thanks to God
  4. Supplication-present your requests to God

In this week’s study, Ingram listed three common pathways to demonic influence. These activities include: sin, spiritual rebellion and unresolved anger and bitterness. Ingram follows this with a list of symptoms which may be demonic and cautions us “the Bible doesn’t imply that all the following symptoms are demonic, but it does warn us to consider the demonic as a possible source.” We learned how the demonic disguises itself as a form of entertainment-through tarot cards, Ouija boards and fortune telling-and easily can slip into an open door for a demonic invitation.

For those deeply influenced by the demonic, Chip Ingram suggests exploring the ministries of Neil Anderson and Mark Bubeck.

You can watch the series at LivingOnTheEdge.org

We reset the prayer wall at the end of each month, so be sure to post new prayer requests on December 1st.

In the end of the book, Ingram shares the prayers of his ten-year-old son. Write out your own version of this prayer and practice saying it aloud.  Kneeling by his bed, his son prayed “Dear Lord Jesus, thank you that I am complete in Christ, and I thank you that I have the armor of God. Dear Lord, these spirits are seeking to assault me tonight, and in the blood of Jesus, by his great name and power, I command them to leave me alone. I claim right now that greater is He who is in me than he who is in the world. Depart from this bedroom and go where Jesus sends you. Amen” (Source: The Invisible War, Chip Ingram)

Chip Ingram Quotes

• Intercessory prayer is our most powerful and strategic corporate weapon in spiritual warfare.
  • Power falls where prayer prevails.
  • Demonic forces shudder when God’s people begin to pray.
  • Sin is probably the most common pathway to demonic influence.
  • Sin is an open door to evil spirits.
  • While the war is invisible, victory and defeat are not.

This Week’s Memory Verse (NASB)

You are from God, little children, and have overcome them; because greater is He who is in you than he who is in the world. 1 John 4:4

Be sure to get the workbook and join us in our Christmas Bible Study: Jesus the One and Only by Beth Moore. Our study begins November 30.

Chip Ingram recommends these resources if you want to further your understanding of demonis influence:

• The Adversary by Mark Bubeck
  • Overcoming the Adversary by Mark Bubrck
  • Powers of Evil, a Biblical Study of Satan and Demons by Sydney Page

Group DiscussionAnswer one or as many as you want.

1. Has your mind ever wandered during prayer? What can you do to be less distracted? (page 162 )
  2. What kind of prayers do you usually bring to God? Do they fall in the category of personal desires or kingdom purposes? (page 162 )
  3. Has this study helped you become more sensitive to demonic influences in your life? If so, how? (page 174 )
  4. Share your thoughts about this study.

Love in Christ,

• Yolanda D says:

2) My prayers usually fall into the category of a need for myself, family or friends.
    3)Yes, it has helped me to realize I have to better prepare myself mentally and emotionally.

• Lisa H says:

Yes it has, and I get frustrated with myself and the condemnation is loud and clear in my head! I do now realize it is the enemy who is whispering those horrible thoughts in my head. Satan effectively erased God’s grace and forgiveness from my mind and made me believe God is very legalistic. Which of course I know to be untrue. However, Satan is very good at his job and I still find myself thinking this way. I just read over what I wrote and it was not my intention to type that as part of this answer. To me this answer was a prompting from the Spirit and must be very important to God for me to pray about. Knowing that, I feel I must also say this: I am not a very happy person. I have moments, very brief to be sure, but overall, not very happy. I believe I am still hanging on to all the feelings of a “not so nice” childhood. Geez, Satan is a creep.

Prayers have been few and far between, even for me. Obviously (well, obvious now) the work of the enemy. I’m not any good at intercessory prayer. Although I have been prompted a few times to pray and I remember being really very focused in those moments of time.

My pastor started including all emergency workers (EMS, highway patrol, police, fire, doctors, nurses) in his morning prayers during service several months ago. After a while I continued to think on that. I used to travel 65 miles one way to work everyday (I am now unemployed). When I would see emergency lights (not always) I would pray for protection for those driving, who they were going after, and for a safe trip. Now I don’t see as many lights, but I live not far from a volunteer fire department and an EMS station. Whenever I hear the sirens, I pray.

I tried a prayer journal several times. It hasn’t worked for me, but I think it could. I think I make it too big and thus it seems overwhelming to me. For instance, I belong to a Christian group on Linked In. I started writing everyone’s name down and a small description of what the issue was, or what they were asking for prayer for. The list is really big. I have since stopped writing in it and (horrible as it is) have stopped reading the emails and praying. I made it all too big, there are too many people in the group. I think I should have just written the group name down in the journal. I don’t have to remember what the issue is for the hundreds and hundreds of people in the group because God already knows what they need. I just need to pray that His will be done in their lives. I only need to write the individual names who I feel a prompting from the Spirit.

Oh man YES! What the Spirit has prompted me to write here are some great examples of what I have learned. And there have been more. The problem I am going to have is APPLICATION, APPLICATION, APPLICATION. (Another thing to pray for!)

4. Share your thoughts about this study.

Wonderful. Thank you Christine for allowing the Spirit to use you as a vessel of God.

(Another confession that turns out to be something I learned during this study.) Honestly, all study I have done has been mostly to “know” something. I have it all locked up in my brain until someone says something where I can pull it out and “spout” out what I “know”. Geez I didn’t realize that was an act of the enemy until I did this study. I would not have done this as a study if it weren’t for the prompting of the Spirit when I saw a link on Facebook. Thinking of it now, of course, I was really interested (at first) to get the “knowledge” in case anyone should ask me in future because I haven’t really read anything on Spiritual Warfare before. But isn’t God great!! He used that tendency (the search for knowledge) and turned that sinful thing in me into something good. *Sigh*

Man I can get long winded!! Thanks for listening 🙂

I pray Peace and Blessings over you all as we all go out about life apply the information we learned here. I know the actual pursuit of knowledge, in and of itself, is not evil. I just need to get to that point and out of this pit I have allowed the enemy to push me into!

A very Merry Christmas to you all!

Lisa H

Lisa, please know that you are not alone. I can so relate to many of the things you have mentioned here. One of my biggest fears is that I will just gain head knowledge and not get it into my heart and be transformed by God’s Word. I pray (ok, beg mostly) God regularly to help me apply His Word so that I can be changed into the person He wants me to be. I can see the ways He has changed me and thank Him for those but then go right back to the fear that I’m not “getting” it. Let’s keep our eyes on God and keep moving toward Him – and trust that He will do the rest!

• Gisela says:

Guys…sorry i have been way behind in this study. I am still reading it and am gaining from it. Sorry I couldnt participate much.

This is a no shame zone…you do not need to be sorry for reading later than the rest of the group! The exciting thing is that you are completing the study and not giving up. God’s blessing over you as you endure -no matter what the enemy throws your way- learning how to overcome the evil and fight from victory in the name of Jesus. Enjoy the study!

• Nickie says:

Has your mind ever wandered during prayer? What can you do to be less distracted? my mind has wandered but as soon as it wanders, I usually just wrap it up… I can see that the devil is at hand with this— no more rejoicing for I… I will have to be more mindful when I am praying. 🙂

What kind of prayers do you usually bring to God? Do they fall in the category of personal desires or kingdom purposes? I can pray also both personal and for the kingdom but I do tend to go more personal.. another thing to be mindful of.

this study has helped me to be more alert and to put on the armor of God… not just say it but to walk it… I need to now more of my bible, reading it everyday, not when it is conveinent for me, it needs to be a priority in my life, to be able to fight what comes against me… thank you christine for this study.. blessing to you all

1. Has your mind ever wandered during prayer? What can you do to be less distracted? Yes, and I get very frustrated and start putting myself down for it. After this study, I realize it’s condemnation from the enemy. To be less distracted, I can use a prayer journal and a prayer closet.

2. What kind of prayers do you usually bring to God? Do they fall in the category of personal desires or kingdom purposes? I bring prayers about family and friends, or something I see on tv. If I hear an ambulance or fire truck, I automatically pray. I am not praying on a global scale and I want to change that.

3. Has this study helped you become more sensitive to demonic influences in your life? If so, how? I am less afraid of the demonic, realizing that the war is won and we stand in victory. I will be more vigilant to demonic attacks and people under the influence of Satan. When I encounter them, I will apply the knowledge learned in this book.

4. Share your thoughts about this study. I think every Christian should read this book and discuss it in small group format.

• Renee says:

1. My mind used to wander during prayer. The advise I was given was this … what does your mind wander to? Talk to God about what you wandered to. For example: you are in a prayer and start to think about what you will cook for dinner. Well, use it in your conversation to God … you know God, I’m thankful to have dinner in the first place! Any you know, God, I think I am going to try a new dish. Maybe this new dish will make someone happy. You know … it’s relationship with God.
    2. I have started practicing ACTS for my prayers now. Then I like to follow with worship music … in the car, at work … however I can work it in.
    3. I knew of some of this before, but am more aware now. I have 2 scripture quotes I am using right now … daily. For example: I was riding my horse on a windy day. I began to visualize my horse spooking and me falling off and getting hurt. I said … it is written … I know my thoughts and plans for you …
    outloud. Hmmm I wonder if people will notice I now mutter. hahaha Oh well!
    4. I think it might be a good idea to read the book at least once a year.

• Sue D. says:

I had an interesting experience last week….
    I teach drama classes for various outlets. At one of my classes, two of the children asked me about movies that I like to watch, particularly do I like scary ones? I responded, No, and asked if they did. The discussion continued and one little boy started talking about how he has actively tried summoning spirits (demons). Another girl gave him tips on how to do it accurately. These children are 11 years old! We wrapped up the discussion and I wanted to let them know thats not ok but couldn’t think how to do it (without being a finger wagger, which they will promptly dismiss). After praying and meditating on it, I thought the best way to dig into this was to remind them of our conversation and ask the two what do they expect to happen? And then follow up with truth.

As it happened they were not at class this week and it was my last class with this particular group. I may never see these kids again. But I know I am not powerless. Please, please pray with me for Julian and Izzy (Isabel).

I’ll post the prayer request on the prayer wall after Dec. 1
    In Christ,
    sue d

Wow, what an amazing story Sue! I think as a group, we all need to pray for God’s presence to saturate the entertainment business, especially shows targeted to children. Pray specifically that the Holy Spirit will speak on our behalf and clean up the evil disguised as entertainment. Praying for Julian and Izzy (Isabel).

1. Has your mind ever wandered during prayer? Yes to that all the time it seems lately. I just get distracted on daily things and not on godly things. I have a prayer a friend wrote and I usally said it in the morning, but I as right now I cannot find it due to moving. It is really a great prayer. If Christine would allow me to I would be glad to share it. After I find it. LOL. I just need to send some more quality time with God. I feel bad as I have been neglecting God for other reason……moving, T.V., reading some when I should pray, and just plain lazy.

2. What I have learned from this study is….that some of the things going on in my life at this time Satan has caused. I can be better equip to handle them now, than I was before. God has the glory always in our lives.

Thanks Christine for doing this study and so many more you have done. I would not be were I am now in the Lord if I had not stumble onto this site. Just so you know I stumble onto it about a year or so ago, and bushed it off, and when my own stupid way, and God brought me back to you. This time I listened, and have stayed. Thanks again for being here, and a friend. I said it before, but I am saying it again…..you truly are an angle from God.

You help me too Sue! I am thankful God created a place where can meet other Christian women and discuss the bible together.

1.Has your mind ever wandered during prayer? What can you do to be less distracted? My mind does wander during prayer fairly often. I think making an actual handwritten prayer list would give me something to focus on and praying scripture directly from the bible page would also help me to be less distracted.

4.Share your thoughts about this study. This study has opened my eyes to an area I had never given any significant thought to previously. I am able to see some things that are going on in my life in a whole new way and with the knowledge and understanding I now have I will handle them in a much different manner. I am so thankful to God for leading me to this website at exactly the right time to participate in this study. His ways are beautiful and perfect.

Thank you Christine for leading this study and thank you to everyone who participated. It’s encouraging to know I’m not the only one going through the things I am in this life – there are others who have “been there, done that”.

Some people use prayer journals, I thought the purpose is to record your prayers and update them as God answers them. Maybe the real intent is to keep the mind focused on the specific prayer? I think I’ll try this and see if it keeps me focused. On the inside cover I’ll write out the ACTS prayer. 😉

I like the way you think Christine. I have heard people talk about their prayer journals and it has always seemed so intimidating to me. But if you think about it like you said, as a tool to stay focused, it’s not intimidating at all. I think I will be a copycat if you don’t mind and try your idea too!

• Chris says:

I have truly been blessed by this study! What a timely and powerful topic. To answer the questions — yes, my mind wanders during prayer quite a lot. I understood Chip’s analogy of hitting the prayer “ceiling” I realize when I feel I’ve hit that ceiling I need to power through and keep prayer until I bust through it. As far as being less distracted, I think I need to remind myself more just who I am talking to — not a girlfriend, or a doctor, or the car mechanic, not my husband, not my kids. I’m talking to the most important person in my life — and I don’t go to Him hoping that He will help me — I go to Him knowing that He is my help, my peace, my shield, my provider, my guide — He is the answer to anything I might bring to Him!

Who do I pray for? I definitely pray more for my own needs and that of my family. I have felt called to pray for others specifically sometimes. Have I always followed through? I’m sure the answer is no. I want that to change! What a great story about the 26 armed guards around that guy in the jungle. What an inspiration to not ignore the impulse to pray for others.

3.Has this study helped you become more sensitive to demonic influences in your life? Yes, I am definitely more sensitive. I know that I have to wear my armor and stay on my toes and be ready with the armaments and weapons that God has given me. It helps to know that I am victorious already through Him. The battle has been won, praise the Lord! But I have to take my stand.

4.Share your thoughts about this study. I have two young daughters and as a family we try to completely steer clear of anything that is of the occult. It’s tough for them to understand, we don’t do Harry Potter or any of the “fun” stuff (LOL, their words not mine 🙂 but through this study I was better able to explain to them that while it may seem like entertainment,it’s a very real danger when you dip your toe into those waters.

So, great study, my first one on here — I’ll definitely check the prayer wall and come back for more. Have a wonderful holiday season — may God’s blessings rain on you all!! Thanks, especially, Christine, for facilitating.

• Marietta says:

1.Has your mind ever wandered during prayer? What can you do to be less distracted? (page 162 )

Yes, my mind often wanders during prayer and I feel so disrespectful when it happens. I’m reminded also of Christ in the Garden of Gethsemane and the disciples with him couldn’t stay awake. I remind myself of Who I’m talking to and ask Him to bring me back. Thankfully, He does.

2.What kind of prayers do you usually bring to God? Do they fall in the category of personal desires or kingdom purposes? (page 162 )

Mostly personal issues but the more I read the Old Testament the more I realize that what is going on today is so much like what the Israelites did then. I fear for our country and I pray for our leaders and for the world that we may turn back to God before it’s too late.

3.Has this study helped you become more sensitive to demonic influences in your life? If so, how? (page 174 )

Yes. I never realized that my thoughts could be demonically influenced but of course they can be and are!

4.Share your thoughts about this study.

I’m grateful to have had the opportunity to participate in this study. I’m particularly glad to have shared it with my daughter as I feel we have a new skill in supporting each other and in communicating our concerns. I now also have new skills with which to do my part in God’s will for my life. I have experienced already how preparation before a “battle” and willingness to allow that the true battle is God’s (and He’s already won!) gives me freedom and peace in the midst of serious struggles. Thank you so much for making this available.

• Mindy says:

Yes, often. Probably because I usually don’t think about true prayer until I’m laying in bed about to go to sleep. The first thing I’m changing is to incorporate prayer throughout the day, not just my “goodnight” prayer. I really like the ACTS prayer suggestion. A little structure to my prayers help keep me focused and… leading into #2…

…help me not just focus on my self and my own desires or “lack ofs” in my prayers.

Very much so. It’s really helped me shift my awareness onto God versus just myself, others around me, our circumstances. I see that the attacks I receive are in my mind/thoughts/feelings.

4.Share your thoughts about this study.

I am thankful to have this new awareness not only for my own attacks, but to see the bigger picture of God’s battlefield in this world. Thank you, Christine, for your time and leadership… and to all who participated. xoxo

• Amanda Taylor says:

I have fallen greatly behind with this study due to physical issues that came up this week and having to have surgery. I plan on catching up ASAP and probably posting to my personal blog http://www.itsmrsthegreat.com

Would love your support and prayers and to see you now and then on my blog. Thanks for studying with me!