Memory Verse of the Week Galatians 1:10

By September 19, 2010Misc

Am I now trying to win the approval of men, or of God? Or am I trying to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a servant of Christ. Galatians 1:10 NIV

Another Version

Do you think I speak this strongly in order to manipulate crowds? Or curry favor with God? Or get popular applause? If my goal was popularity, I wouldn’t bother being Christ’s slave. Know this—I am most emphatic here, friends—this great Message I delivered to you is not mere human optimism. I didn’t receive it through the traditions, and I wasn’t taught it in some school. I got it straight from God, received the Message directly from Jesus Christ. Galatians 1:10 Message Bible

Enjoy this video by Nicole Johnson

• Tamara says:

Youversion is another good bible application. I don’t think a download for your computer is available, but you can download the app onto your Blackberry, iPhone, Android, and other cell phone modules. I use Youversion on my Blackberry when doing the reading assignments because I can look up passages much quicker than flipping through the pages of the Bible. I don’t know the books by heart, so it often takes me a long time to find the books and verses. I highly recommend Youversion. Here’s the link to the site: http://www.youversion.com. Tamara

• Sue Schwendemann says:

Great video…..sometimes I feel that way……when it has to do with my husband’s health not one of his doctors listen to me, only his heart doctor and he tells EVERYONE else to listen to me. I know Yahweh hears me and my cries, so I am at peace there.

• Brenda says:

Well, hello everyone, Christine you,know I am one of the newest to learning the Bible and all te meanings and understanding and interpreting it appropriatly. One thing I saw you say was about worrying about looks, try to please others, worrying did I look ok, when the only in acutallity the one who really matters is God, te Alpha, the Omega, the beginning and the end. And it is he we should be conserned about pleasing,

• Karen says:

Wow! This video message really spoke to my heart. My heart’s cry is to do each task that is set before me… for the audience of One… The Maker of the Universe Himself.

Thank you so much for posting this!!

• Tamara says:

What a beautiful message. I must admit that I have that I have thought that I was invisible to God. I felt that he was ignoring me because I was not “great” or even worth the time. But, I know now that God was with me all along and was waiting for me to slow down and seek Him. I have really had to learn (and am still learning) how to be patient and wait on His call. It’s not easy, but it’s the right thing for me to do. Tamara

I found it interesting that the word “trying” is used three times in the NIV version of this verse. Also the words “now” and “still” caught my attention because a saved sinner knows it’s wrong to serve man and not God.

In the Strongs dictionary, “try” means to test or testing, proved, or make a test.

What do you think about this?

• Lisa says:

I put this into my esword memory verse maintenance and then looked up the Greek meaning of the words about trying and pleasing. It was interesting to me that the word pleasing actually translated from a Greek word with one of the definitions that meant to “excite emotion.” I then began to think about what kind of emotion I am trying to excite in God, or if there is even one that I am trying to. When I looked further into the meanings of the word “please” I found that it derived from a Hebrew word meaning to “lift.” In all the applications the ones that stood out the most to me were the ones that had the most to do with romance. I am a woman that loves a good romance, so words like marry, desire,and yield, just jump off the page at me. I began to think about that. What was I like when I first met my husband and I wanted him to desire me? What did I do? How did I dress? What went through my head when all I could think about was how much I loved this man and how badly I wanted him to want to marry me? All I could think about was him. All I could think about was letting him know how much I loved him. All I could think about was serving him and letting him know how much I desired him. I yielded my own desires to just love on him. For so long this verse in Galatians has made me think of efforts to “do right.” It has made me think of tasks and chores because that is what it feels like when I try to make the people around me happy but tonight I began to think about Christ. I began to think about how much I love Him and how grateful I am to God and how much I want Him to know my love for Him. I want Him to know that I want to marry Him. I want Him to know that I want Him to desire me. I want to be attractive to Him. I want to just lavish my love on Him and be one. I guess it just all underscored the difference between “pleasing” others and “pleasing” God. “Pleasing” others feels like a chore because they never know what they want; they always change their mind; and honestly, it’s not really making them desire me, it’s just about keeping them happy. “Pleasing” God is about my relationship with Him and the expression of our affection toward each other. It speaks to me of the greatest romance and my desire to be desirable to the Beloved. Sorry the thoughts don’t tie together a little better. Just was thinking out loud as I read through the verse and the meaning of the words =]

Lisa

You bring up good ideas Lisa. I’m reminded of my own attempts to please men and women….does my hair look right, are my clothes ok, do I fit in or will I offend someone. So I conform to this world, forgetting that when I sit before my Lord on judgment day, these things have no value. My heart needs to be pleasing to Him and only Him. I serve Him by loving others and sharing Jesus with others…not by the color of my hair or the clothes I am wearing. Human relationships are superficial while Godly relationships are divine. As I age, I prefer the Divine and the Audience of ONE.

What are you using for the esword memory verse maintenance? Is this a website or software, or book format?

• Lisa says:

Esword has a free download that has several free bible translations and commentaries. It doesn’t take up much room on the hard drive and you can purchase additional downloads for it. I work at Lifeway and often refer people to it when first wanting to buy computer programs that will help them study their Bible. It puts it all in one window with several boxes so you can read all the information at one time. Also contains the strong’s concordance. I used it several years ago and recently did a new download of it. I was surprised and pleased to find they had updated the program to include a memory verse tracker with an interactive feature to help you learn the verse as well as a prayer request journal and maintenance feature. They come up weekly or daily as pop-ups when you open the program, depending on how frequently you have scheduled them to appear. It really is a great thing. Here’s the web site: http://www.e-sword.net/downloads.html. Wonderful, free, software that is easy even for the novice studying the Word!

Lisa

• Janet says:

I have been struggling with this very topic at work. I have a very demanding boss, who is constantly changing her mind about how she wants things done. I am realizing now, that I will never be able to please her, I am only becoming more and more of a slave to her. I am making a conscious effort to tell myself every morning before work, that I work for God, and I need to please Him and not the people I work for. After all, I will put in much more effort and work my hardest for God, because He loves me and I want to please Him.