Choosing to SEE, a Journey of Struggle and Hope by Mary Beth Chapman and Ellen Vaughan is a story of a mother’s loss and her faith in God the Healer. The book is an emotional journey through the life of Mary Beth; her marriage to Christian singer-songwriter Steven Curtis Chapman and her passion for international adoption. The pages are rich with wisdom, self reflection, personal struggles and grace. This book flows with emotion from cover to cover. Many of the words from songs written by Steven Curtis Chapman, about his wife and family, are included in each chapter , bringing the music to life.
About the Book
Beth Moore introduces this book, written two years after the accidental death of Maria Chapman, who was tragically killed before her family when her brother Will did not see Maria, until after his car hit her. Maria died as her family watched and lived through a traumatic event. This story is actually the center of the book, as the book begins with the courtship of MaryBeth and Steven, their marriage struggles, and the birth of their three children. Emily, the oldest daughter encourages her parents to adopt a child from China, and the Chapman family grows with three more children. The book details the challenges and blessings of international adoption and highlights the Chapman’s efforts under their charity called www.ShowHope.org The last third of the book includes pages from MaryBeth’s blog and journal, revealing her personal strength and recovery. This book is helpful for any family struggling with marital problems, the loss of a child, or adoption.
About the Author
MaryBeth Chapman is the mother of six children, including her deceased daughter Maria Chapman. She is also the wife of popular singer Steven Curtis Chapman, most recognized for his song Cinderella. Ellen Vaughn is a bestseller author and inspirational speaker She is the mother of three teenagers.
Favorite Quotes from Marybeth Chapman and Ellen Vaughan
- Even during those times when the path is darkest, He leaves little bits of evidence all along the way- bread crumbs of grace- that can give me what I need to take the next step. But I can only find them if I choose to SEE.
- My depression became an opportunity to acknowledge to God that He was my only hope.
- The first step was to realize that the essential transformation inside me would not come through my work, but as a gift of Grace from God Himself.
- People need to know that Christians leaders, singers, preachers, writers, whoever, as are cracked and broken as the next person. Maybe more so.
- It was a spiritual miracle inside of me, one that would begin to heal some of the guilt and shame I’d been carrying around since I was a teenager.
- I could only see a few feet in front of me. If I could see any further than that, the journey ahead would be too scary.
Favorite Scripture from the Book (Mary Beth calls these her life verses)
Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path. Psalm 119:105 NIV
Come, let us return to the LORD.
He has torn us to pieces
but he will heal us;
he has injured us
but he will bind up our wounds.
Hosea 6:1 NIV
I received an advance copy of this book from RevellBooks.com for review.