Jonah Bible Study-Who We Are

By August 9, 2010Jonah

Each time we start a new study, I like to post some information about our online small group. In the study of Jonah, we currently have almost 60 women participating. One of the most exciting things in this group is that we’re having a BABY! Not me, of course….Nicki from Memphis is having a baby girl due on August 20th. She has a 2-year old boy and if Nicki had another son, we’d absolutely insist she name her baby Jonah! Congratulations and please keep us updated on the baby’s arrival.

For fun, we asked you to post your navigation stories and rate your navigation skills. We found sixteen women in the group who can get from “here to there” and claim good navigation skills. Wendy from Texas wins hands down for our group navigator- she was in the Navy for eight years and married a Navy seal. Susan from Virginia sounds much like me, saying she is “directionally challenged” and her family claims she’ll get lost pulling out of the driveway! I’ll admit, we went on a family boating trip in July and I let the kids navigate…I was so lost!

You’ll notice Shannon Barr is writing the blog posts for the Jonah study and I’m writing the discussion questions and accessories (favorite quotes and scripture verses). Some of you remember Shannon from our Breaking Free study when she wrote updates once a week for ten weeks at the Womens Bible Cafe. If you are new to the group, Shannon is  a seminary student and involved in Women’s Ministry.

Three of the women participating in this study-Joanie, Kim and Michelle- will be leading Jonah small groups at their church. It is imortant that you post comments about the study, because this will enable these church leaders to learn from our study and take some of your ideas to their church small groups. So don’t be shy…speak up!

Did I mention we’re having a baby….with my youngest daughter turning nine next month, I miss those days of sleeping infants. Sigh.

Last Updated: August 10, 2010

• Washington DC-1
  • Not stated-12

Gifted in Navigation = 16

Directionally Challenged = 19

Did not answer = 17

• Nickie says:

just wanted you to know. I just recieved my book and I am starting. I am from Massachusetts. just a few weeks behind. so I will be pulling up from the bottom. 🙂 thank yous o much for doing these studies.

• VIcki says:

I am a little late getting started w/the Jonah study but trying to catch up. I know it will be most helpful as all of them have been so far. Really appreciate what everyone in the group does and want to say thank you – these studies have been such a blessing. A friend of mine from Ohio and I do these together. Congratulations Nicki from Memphis – my sister’s birthday is also August 20th. Let us know when she is born and her name.
    God bless.

• Sue Schwendemann says:

Hi as you can see I am Judee Baysinger’s sister; she is from Greenwood, IN.( she posted on 8-11-10) and I am from Terre Haute, IN. We live 95+ miles southeast of each other. We just finished Ruth with Christine and really liked it. Blessing to all.

• Lodi says:

One thing that is unclear to me is whether the audio track is the same for the audio and video downloads. Stated another way, what’s the difference between the audio and video downloads (besides the availabilty of moving images on the screen for the video download)?

For what it’s worth, I was quite unclear about what the video would add to the overall experience of doing this Bible study (since I could not get a clear idea of exactly what was in it based on the descriptions on Lifeway.com or elsewhere). Last Friday, on the spur of the moment, I downloaded video session 1 and I am so glad I did! The video greatly amplified and expanded upon what’s in the workbook; in fact, there were a few questions in the workbook that I was unable to answer until I saw the video.

I do wish the audio and video downloads were available for purchase via iTunes. (Some Lifeway products can be found on iTunes, but not this Bible study.) Once the files are downloaded from Lifeway, they can theoretically then be moved into your iTunes directory (and from there to your iPod), however.

I’ve used both the audio and the video sessions and the words are the same. From a communication point, video has more depth than audio because you get nonverbal communication with the words. Also, some authors will include props to enhance the study and this can make the study fun. In the leader kits I purchase, videos are provided for a church or home small group study. So when I attend a church study, I will see the same video that you can purchase as an individual session. The audio sessions have the benefit of mobility, when you download them to your iphone. Though you can do this with video, it will require a great deal of storage space on the phone. Also, some feel the screen is too small for viewing.

So the answer to your question is really a matter of personal taste, similar to the difference between Apple and IBM. You’ll like one over the other, though both serve the same purpose. Make your decision based on your learning style (visual learner vs auditory learner), your playback format (phone or computer screen) and cost.

• MaryAnn says:

This is all so exciting! Imagine if we were all in a group in one place! (So much for the term “small Bible study group.” I absolutely LOVE getting so many perspectives on the same thing.

I’m a little behind because my sister was visiting all of last week and we spent every day together…but I am enjoying the Jonah study. I purchase the videos and I think it just enhances the study.

All I can say it…God has this group in the palm of his hands! Thankfully, he is THE navigator and ALWAYS knows the way!

• Wendy says:

MaryAnn, Would it not be exciting if we were all together. I can see it now all of us talking and sharing experiences and perspectives, but especially experiencing God among all of us….

As soon as we work through some technology and time zone issues, we will have a format where we can meet online at the same time, all talking at once. Coming soon….

• MaryAnn says:

WOOHOO!! Now THAT is Divine Intervention—significant person “God”; significant task “Bible Study” = Divine Intervention!

Thanks for sharing that, Christine. I am thrilled!

(Ok…Ok..so I use way to many exclamation points…but that’s how I feel!)

• Sue Schwendemann says:

Why to ccccooooooollll!!!!! WHEN????? I just got to excited over the news. Doing my happy dance…or should I say CoccAnne’s happy dance(who was my dog, she has passed) Be so fun being on line with all these bible studying, learning together. THANKS. Blessing to all.

• Judee Baysinger says:

I am from Indiana also. I am doing this study with my sister, Sue Schwendemann in Terr Haute even though I live in Greenwood. I get around just fine out of the city, but in Indianapolis, I get lost all the time. One time coming home from my daughters in souther Indiana I got so lost I couldn’t even have told someone where I was. The road kept getting narrower and narrower and turned from a four lane highway to a dirt ( not kidding here) track with a creek running across it. It was late at night and I had visions of the movie DELIVERANCE dancing in my head. I have never been so scared, but GOD was with me and guided me home. GOD is my navigator no matter where I go or what I do.

• Sharon says:

I am from Idaho and I’m also doing the study alone with just the workbook. It has been great to do this study in my quiet time, which is usually midnight when everyone is asleep in my household.

• Tammy says:

From South Carolina
    Doing study alone with workbook and video
    Served in navy four years married to retired navy small boat captain for seals.

• barbara says:

from wisconsin

ex-military wife lots of traveling great navigation skills for long distance driving.

doing the study alone with no video just the workbook

• Michelle says:

Barbara,
      I’m doing the study sans video too but I am considering getting the audio. I’m thinking it would be a great adjunct to the study to reinforce what I’m reading.

The audio sessions are repetitive of the weekly lesson, a summary of the week’s discussion. Author Priscilla Shirer will input her own personal experiences into the audio sessions. I’d suggest getting one of the sessions, listen, and then decide if you want to buy more of them. My experience has been when we completed week one, and I looked at my notes from the Session One audio, the content was similar. The greatest benefit however, is the passionate teaching style Priscilla brings into the study. Her voice explodes with energy and passion and you cannot get that from the workbook.

• Rosalie Clark says:

My friend, Doris, and I are doing this study together. We will chat as we can at church or on email. We have finished about 2-3 lessons as my book just arrived. Looking forward to to what God will teach us.