We begin our Jonah bible study today, a six week journey into four chapters of scripture. To participate in the study, you’ll need the workbook called Jonah: Navigating a Life Interrupted by Priscilla Shirer. If you are waiting for your workbook to arrive, be sure to download Chapter One so you can start reading with us. We have about 60 women participating in this online bible study.
When someone asks you “How has your life been interrupted lately?” we experience the same initial response. You may roll your eyes, let out that deep sigh, sit back in your cafe chair and prepare to tell a story of difficulty. We all have a season in life or an event that was unplanned and seemed to move us into a different direction.
What if God called you specifically by name, told you to change course, change your life purpose and change your plan? We’re about to discover more of ourselves as we read the life of Jonah,” the only prophet who received instructions from God and ran from what God told him to do.” (page 6, Priscilla Shirer)
This study begins with Session One in your workbook. Audio/video sessions are available from Lifeway and will enhance your study. Currently they are $3.99 for each audio session, or $4.99 for each video session, about the price of a gourmet coffee drink or a movie rental. However, these last longer so you’ll get more for your money! I’ve listened to the Session One audio and highly recommend it, because it offers a good insight into the content and purpose of the study.
- Before you start your study, we recommend you write a letter to God on the inside cover of the workbook, and date it. Tell Him why you are reading Jonah and what you hope to learn from the study. Ask Him to keep you centered and focused on the Word.
- If you have not done so already, download the Answers to the Viewer Guide.
- There are five lessons each week. The lessons require about 30-45 minutes of time each day and we recommend you complete them first thing in the morning. When you read the Bible before your day begins, you are lighting the candle of His word inside you, carrying that candle throughout the day, and seeing examples of the Word as your day progresses.
- If you have any questions about the online format, please read the FAQ’s for the Bible Cafe.
- Please pray for the Spirit to guide you in study and to keep you on track with the lessons. Pray for the other women in this study and for the leaders. We have a prayer wall to post individual prayers.
- Priscilla says in audio session one, “Interruption is something in your life that takes you off guard, its not necessarily tragic, it can be a good thing. It’s just shocking when it happens and you’re trying to navigate life off a charted course.” How has your life been interrupted lately?