I Am Jonah (Jonah Week 1)

By August 9, 2010Jonah

After finishing week one of Jonah: Navigating a Life Interrupted by Priscilla Shirer, there are many thoughts that we are left with and a few challenges to propel us forward. In day one, she points out that there is a great difference between an interruption and a Divine Intervention. When we view something as unimportant, or at the very least, less important than what we are doing, it will be an interruption. When we see the importance of the task and the person, it is a Divine Intervention. Too often we either ignore them or outright run from them. But why run? When we are uncomfortable, we run. When His plans do not suit us, we run. When we want something different, we run. When we are afraid, we run. But we are running from God’s awesome presence and power. This changes the perspective doesn’t it? We are no longer running from something we don’t want to do, but we are running from the power of God. We do it because as humans, we tend to forget that God can do anything, and we do not need to look at things from our standpoint. When God is the one in charge, it will get done.

Shirer goes on to point out that we should not dread a Divine Intervention, but look forward to it! When we have the opportunity to participate with God it is a privilege, and we need to remember that! The God who can do everything, and needs no one, chooses to invite us to be part of something that is so much bigger than us. He wants to work in and through us. Not to pump us up, but to glorify Himself. Our true significance in life begins with a Divine Intervention, but all glory goes to God. We just need to submit ourselves to His will, and mean it. The big question with this involves how we define ourselves. Do we see ourselves as servants of the Lord or are we serving ourselves? We do not own our lives, they belong to God. He simply asks us to manage it. That means listening to and obeying His directions.

Our lives need to point to the living God. It is the greatest testimony we can give, and it may be the only one some see. Divine Interventions matter for eternal significance, not worldly significance. God’s plans may not make sense to us, as they certainly did not make sense to Jonah asked he as being told to witness to his enemies. Making sense of things and having a plan is not required to do great and mighty things. All He wants is for you to submit, and allow Him to work miracles in, through, and around you. We need to ask ourselves, when it comes down to it, are we willing to submit to God’s plan and direction no matter what or will we try to run like Jonah did?

I pray that as we dig into this study, we will confidently submit our lives and surrender our wills in order to do what God has planned for us. There will be no greater joy than walking in God’s plan for our lives and living in His protection. Priscilla asked “How many things are hinging on one woman surrendering to God’s Will? How many things are hinging on you surrendering?” That has stuck with  me, and I pray it will with you as well.

Pray that the study of Jonah will profoundly affect your life. We welcome any prayer needs from the group and ask that you will print a copy of the prayers, place them, in your workbook and pray for these women. If you have a prayer request for our prayer wall, please click here.

Priscilla Shirer Quotes

• Jonah was the only prophet who ever ran from God.
  • It is an esteemed opportunity to participate in Kingdom purposes.
  • Make sure your life writes a story worth reading.
  • Your story starts with God.

This Week’s Scripture Verses-NASB **click on the scripture reference to translate to another bible version

Everything God does is right— the trademark on all his works is love. Psalm 145:17 Message

For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them. Ephesians 2:10

But I will sacrifice to You With the voice of thanksgiving, That which I have vowed I will pay; Salvation is from the LORD.” Jonah 2:9

Blessed are those who hear the word of God and observe it. Luke 11:28

• Read Week Two, pages 35-53  in the workbook
  • Listen to the Session Two Audio (optional)
  • OR…Listen to the Session Two Video (optional)

1. Briefly share your resume from page 19 and your story of divine intervention from page 22.
  2. On page 15 of the workbook, you’ll notice the word “Divine” looks similar to the word DIVE. Since we’re studying a fish story about Jonah, what does it mean for you to DIVE?
  3. On page 20 you selected two characters of divine intervention. Which two characters did you select and why?
  4. Did you write your own declaration of dependence at the bottom of page 22? If so, please share yours with the group.
  5. Share one of your navigation tools from the bottom of page 31.

Laying Down My Life,

Shannon

Author WBC

Find online bible studies for women at the Womens Bible Cafe. It's also a place where you can meet other Christian women from around the world and fellowship together. If you're unable to a attend a church small group bible study then the Bible Study Cafe is just right for you! Look under "Current Studies" to see what we're reading. Bring your book and let's study the Word together.

More posts by WBC

• gdgirouard says:

Our women’s bible study is getting ready to do Jonah after the first of the year. I noticed that there are 2 different front covers of books offered through Amazon. Do you happen to know if there is any other difference in the books besides the front cover?

My Navigation Tools from Week 1 (they will be different than yours):

~Prepare to be interrupted.
    ~Partner with God
    ~Accept the Divine Intervention 100%
    ~Be a manager, not an owner
    ~Do not listen to the heart (emotions)

• Chelsie says:

1. Resume: Chelsie, Washington state, Customer service associate for JCPenney, I am a wife and mom to my 3 year old, and going to an online church.

2.Dive: To me is going and trusting God and knowing that what he is saying to us is true and we have to go with it.
    3. I selected Esther and Rehab because I honestly did not know about neither one of them so I decided to learn about them.
    Esther stood up for what she wanted
    Rehab heard of God but what was scared of him because she had had hidden the spies.
    4. He is my leader in showing me the way. Take me where i am needed.
    5. God’s assignment+ the commitment to God= eternal significance.
    b.learning of new people and their accomplishments thru god and what they did to have that in their lives.
    c.making a mark and dependence with God and his calling to you.
    d. making sense of what god wants us to do and how we go about doing it.
    Share one of your navigation tools from the bottom of page 31.

• Nickie says:

my resume in Nickie from LaPorte City, Christian and wife and mother of 4 girls

I picked Esther because I just did a study on her and loved how she always had Gods hand on her.. to give her special liking from the king and she changed history by being patient and waiting for Gods instruction even when it could have cost her her life…. she was brave and had a divine Intervention…

and when I put dive into the story of Jonah… I think of Jonahs dive into the whales belly… what that must have been like yuck but I want to dive into the word of God and walk away with understaning…

my navigation tool was on day 4…. ownership and I believe you cant own what you dont acknowledge…

• Carin says:

I am a week behind- Sorry!

1. Northern CA, Christian, Wine Consultant & Partner with husband in a construction company. I am believing that God is going to do some divine intervention soon as our construction company just stopped and we have no work.

2. Dive? Well, I am thinking that I have no choice but to just jump in like a cannon ball…Don’t know where God is taking us.

3. Esther- She stood up for what is right. Rahab- She heard about what God had done and I think hid the spies because she feared God.

4. I am stuck on this one.

5. Frustrated (day 1)

• barbara says:

1. barbara , stevens point, wisconsin , christian, single mom of two grown children one at home , full time work, office clerk. currently attending a home church group.

2. dive into the word of god, the living water of life.

3. jeremiah & moses they really didn’t plan the events in their lives.

4. i know that my redeemer lives. !!!

5, DAY 4 OWNERSHIP VS MANAGEMENT you are not your own, you were purchased
    with the blood of jesus.

• MaryAnn says:

My sister was visiting for 10 days and I thought I was way behind in this study. I made a promise to God that I would get caught up this morning. As I was reading the study, Day 5, I looked at the top of the page and say “Week Two.” I was shocked at first but quickly realized, I wasn’t behind at all, but actually, ahead! Gifts from God…amazing.

1. MaryAnn, Maryland, Protestant (Grace Brethren), Accounting Manager, my husband
    2. DIVE — Divine Intervention, very effective!
    3. I chose Ester and Peter–I wanted to revisit Esther because I think her story is one of the greatest miracles in the Bible. Peter, I’m always drawn to him because of his denial of Christ—because, in my own way, in times in my life–I have denied Him.
    5. Significant Person + Significant Task = Divine Intervention

• Lodi says:

The navigation tool that resonated most strongly with me this week was the manager versus owner concept. I’m still working through some of the implications of this idea on my own, but a few thoughts have already come to mind: I can’t be an effective manager without good communication with the owner. I need to work on carrying out my role as manager with enthusiasm, that is, I need to graciously and gratefully accept my designated role, rather than trying to usurp God’s role in my life.

• Vanda says:

1. Vanda, Singapore now in California, Methodist, currently stay-at-home-mom, husband & kids. An opportunity came up for my husband to come to California for work last Summer. We decided to put my career on hold for all of us to be together. The year has been wonderful, I’d never had such time with the children and time to study his Word here through Community Bible Study and now this Bible Study.

2. My daughter is now just started swimming lessons and i know what it feels like for her to ‘dive in’. she has to let go of her fear, take a deep breath, JUMP and TRUST that she will come out of the water and her instructor is there for her. So… Take a deep breath and jump in! God will be there for us.

3. Esther and Rahab – amazing women who put themselves on the line because it was the right thing to do, although not the most convenient or safe thing to do, and saved a nation.

5. From Day 4, Eph 2:10 – God has created us to do works that He has ALREADY PLANNED beforehand, that we should walk in them and do them.

• Nicole says:

Resume: California, Christian, Stay at home mom, husband & 3 children.
    Divine Intervention: When I said I was breaking the cycle & choosing to learn from my mistakes and follow God.

• Michele says:

1. Michele, Orange City Florida, Christian, Sales, Husband & daughter.
    My life was undisciplined and selfish but God is changing my heart to be an example for my daughter.

3. I picked Esther because she went from being a nobody to a key person used to save her people and I picked Rahab because even though she had a jaded past God used her for a divine purpose.

5. Don’t try to own what is not yours.

• Joeanna says:

1. Joeanna from RI-Christian- Parent Mentor/ Workshop Presenter in Special Education- relatives son and two sisters.

2. Dive to me means- TO surrender into the unknown

3. Mary and Esther- they both obeyed God with such humble courage.

4.Dear Father, I give up trying to control my life. Forgive me,please help me I am nothing without You.

5. Management vs. Ownership

• Karla says:

Resume: Karla Minnesota Christian Accounting Husband/Children

Dive into the task at hand with faith/courage/love

I chose Rahab and Peter Both have stumbled but came back with great strength and faith in God.

Declaration of Dependence: Show me your ways O Lord Teach me your paths Lead me in your truth Psalm 25 1-5

Navigation Tool: Never lose sight of God

I hope you all enjoyed your week in Study I know I did 🙂

1- Lauren Bates, Jackson, Ky…. Christian. I am a wife, mommy, and nurse, and nursing professor; my closest relative(s) are my husband and son. I have really struggled to pinpoint incidences of divine intervention… I know my life is full of them…I am significant only through God… when I start thinking I am significant in my life, either in my marriage, as a Mom, or in my profession, something always happens to knock me off my high horse!
    2. Even though I love the water (pool, lake, ocean, it doesn’t matter) I have never been able to dive. I think it is because you have to completely submerge yourself in the water… and I like to do that gradually. Diving is not gradual, it is an immediate thing… you slice through the water and there is no chance to turn back and stop… if you try you’ll bellyflop and get burnt up! So to me, diving is to completely involve yourself in a situation, no matter what the risks.
    3. I picked Esther and Peter… because I just finished up the Ruth study, which looked at Rahab and Mary some in it.
    4. Declaration of Dependence- Lord, I can do nothing without You. Make my life significant through YOu. Show me Your purpose in my life.
    5. Even though my life may not be what I imagined, it is what He imagined when He created me… and he doesn’t make mistakes!

Hope you guys have a great week! We’re getting started back to classes and this week has been wild… it’s good to have God’s word to fall back on!

• Jennifer Deffendall says:

1. Resume: Baltimore, Student, Christian, Not working now, Husband. I do get caught in the daily things in life. How do I consider intervention I scrapbook about, I listen to music on it, I try to journal on it.
    2. To me it means to jump in feet first. Then he is there, to help me out when I am over whelmed.
    3. Mary and Esther. Both of them had courage to listen. Listening is a key. Sometimes we get over whelmed with a lot of things and forget to listen.
    4. Listen to what he wants not what I want.
    5. Ownership vs. Management

It’s so easy not to listen in a world filled with noise and clutter. Spending time with God is an active, conscious decision…and when are with Him, we should give Him our full attention as we listen. Thanks for sharing that!

• Victoria Milam says:

1. a) Victoria, Canadian TX, Baptist, Team Assistant-Transportation & Logistics, Husband-Josh, Daughter & Son- Aspen & Hunter
    b) I was horribly sinful and selfish about 6 1/2 years ago-After my “divinely intervened” marriage

• Victoria Milam says:

Pressed a button on accident and submitted it before I was finished! LOL

So anyways:
      1. b, contd) After my move to AR and marriage, I still was not very close to God, although my behavior was toned down TREMENDOUSLY! Then about 2 years ago, God just pulled me…to Meadowlake Baptist…and now, I am on the path to fully giving my life over to Him…all in my life are helping me now and not hindering me…I am a totally different person! Thank You Jesus!

2. To DIVE: To jump in to what God is calling, not knowing what the outcome will be like, but knowing that He is powerful enough to bring me up for air and reach land again, when it is His time!!!

3. Rahab and Peter:
      Rahab because although I was not a prostitute, I have been down that road of self-destruction, self-dis-respect, and so I personally feel connected to her!
      Peter because I mean wow! On the verge of giving up, then God helps you to succeed, and then He changes your entire path. I love how He works through Peter’s life…Changing his name…that was a big one with me, especially after finishing up the Ruth bible study and doing Patriarchs at church.

4. Lord, I’m ALL Yours! Use me when, how and where You want me;not when, how and where You need me, because I know You don’t NEED me. I am ready to be Your hands and feet!!

5. I’m gonna share them all if that’s ok?!?!
      a)Prioritize. Put God 1st.
      b)Put your hurts behind you-God is bigger!
      c)Write a story worth reading-start it w/ God!
      d)Realize your gift is not actually meant for you, but to glorify God!
      e)Believe & trust Him, even when it doesn’t make sense at all!!

I had a great time this week in Jonah, if you couln’t tell!!!

• Shannon says:

I love how God intervenes in things. When we look back, we can often see His hand clearly. I’m glad you enjoyed week one. I absolutely loved it, and believe this is one of the best studies I’ve done in quite some time. Looking forward to hearing more!

• Judee Baysinger says:

Resume:Judee, Indiana, Christian, Living for GOD
    2. DIVE: live under HIS wing and in HIS love and HIS WORD
    3. Rahab, she was true to a GOD she didn’t know at the time but came to know HIM as her own. Peter, he stumbled many times but always came back, much like me.
    4.It’s not about me, it’s about HIM.

• Christine Smith says:

Another good visual image, right from scripture, Psalm 91:4! Thanks for saying “DIVE: live under HIS wing and in HIS love and HIS WORD”

• Sharon says:

1.Resume – Sharon, hometown where I was born Gainesville. TX but lived the longest in Spur growing up. Christian, Homekeeper, helper to my parents. My closest relatives are my parents and my two children.

2. To dive means (for me) to throw myself into this study and work on gaining faith that the Lord is in charge not me.

3. I chose Esther who was an orphan but new the love of her uncle who took her in. I find this significant as he was God’s tool to help Susa. Esther bravely went before the King for him and became significant in saving a people. I also chose Mary because she was living a commom life much as many were and are and had great faith when the angel appeared to give her this unfathomable news that she would give birth to our Savior. She trusted God and in his birth took great care of Jesus at his birth. This passage of his birth always strikes me as so caring for what was laid before her.

4. To stop relying on self and trusting God to lead.

5.Share one of your navigation tools from the bottom of page 31. Not my will but His.

• Christine Smith says:

I like this also…”To dive means (for me) to throw myself into this study and work on gaining faith that the Lord is in charge not me” …Simply because I lead bible study and nothing gives me greater satisfaction than to join other women in the Word.

• Sharon says:

This is a wonderful study I am getting so much out of it so to dive into what we can learn from Jonah has really been an eye opener for me. I had not looked at the book of Jonah so deeply before.

I get so much from what others say as well. It really opens up different perspectives.

Leading a Bible study is surely to be commended! It is not easy I know. Have you always done so?

• Sue Schwendemann says:

1. Resume: Susan, Indiana, Christian, caring for ill husband ( heart/diabetic)
    2. DIVE means to be in the word…dive into unknown faith. Like Christine and Shannon.
    3. Rahab she had many sins, but returned to the Lord. She turned her life around after she started followed him. Her heart was changed. Esther was Jewish and kept her faith unknown. She was also an orphan. Esther won a contest and married a King. Her faith was found out after a relative told her the King was to be killed. Esther was still queen and no longer had to keep secret the fact that she was Hebrew and Jewish. She had great courage.
    4. Run to the Lord: not away from Him.

I loved the story of Esther! These are a few verses to clarify her life story:

Also let the king give her royal position to someone else who is better than she. Esther 1:19 NIV (the former queen disgraced the King)

Let the king appoint commissioners in every province of his realm to bring all these beautiful girls into the harem at the citadel of Susa. Esther 2:3 NIV

Mordecai had a cousin named Hadassah, whom he had brought up because she had neither father nor mother. This girl, who was also known as Esther, was lovely in form and features, and Mordecai had taken her as his own daughter when her father and mother died. Esther 2:7 NIV

Now the king was attracted to Esther more than to any of the other women, and she won his favor and approval more than any of the other virgins. So he set a royal crown on her head and made her queen instead of Vashti. Esther 2:17 NIV

Have a gallows built, seventy-five feet high, and ask the king in the morning to have Mordecai hanged on it. Esther 5:14 NIV

For if you remain silent at this time, relief and deliverance for the Jews will arise from another place, but you and your father’s family will perish. And who knows but that you have come to royal position for such a time as this?” Esther 4:14 NIV

One of my favorite movies: One Night with the King

I’m planning on watching One Night with the King on Netflix… just haven’t had a chance yet. I heard it was great!

• Sue Schwendemann says:

Christine,

Thanks for clarifying the verses for me. I did not know how long of a post, I could do. With your help always, this will make it easier on people to understand Esther better; if they have not done the study. Thanks again for the help.

Blessing,
        Susan

You can write as much as you want Sue. I do not edit the comments, I simply look for spam and delete those. Since we are a women’s blog site, we attract unwanted attention and we clean it up! You’re welcome to comment or write a guest post anytime!

• Kim says:

1. Resume:Georgia; Christian; Wife, Mother, Women’s Ministry Leader, Writer (“Print Missionary”); Divine Intervention: God delivered me from a selfish ambition and misuse of my gift and gave me a Spirit-driven voice and means of using my gift for His glory
    2. Dive: to daily go under the Living Water
    3. I actually selected Paul and the woman who anointed Jesus’ feet. Both of these people were radically impacted by their encounter with Jesus.
    4. My identity is His.
    5. Yield to God.

• Shannon says:

1. Resume: Pennsylvania, Christian, Student/Women’s Ministry Leader/Prevention Facilitator, my husband. My Divine Intervention: I was always busy doing things for God, but was more self-serving. I got caught up in the busyness, and forgot about the relationship. I am now focused on my relationship with God, and ministry is an overflow of that relationship. I may still be busy, but I am more God-focused, and less me-focused. Knowing who I am in Christ and that I am walking the path He chose is my source of significance.

2. Much like Christine, DIVE means going head-on into the unknown in faith. God may call you to do something, and you have no idea how it will happen. DIVE in! He will guide and provide!

3. I selected Rahab and Peter. Rahab had many sins, but when she experienced God, she served Him. Her heart changed. It shows God can use anyone if they are willing. I chose Peter because I just love him. He constantly made mistakes and stumbled, but he had such great faith. He always came back to the Lord and served him with everything he had.

4. God’s will, not my own. His glory, not mine.

5. Be open to Divine Intervention because it is a privilege.

“God’s will, not my own. His glory, not mine.” A reminder of John 3:30 NIV

He must become greater; I must become less.

1. Resume: California, Christian, Artist, Two daughters. My divine intervention: I was independent and self-serving, now I am dependent and God-serving. Being loved and valued by the King is my source of significance.

2. For me, DIVE means to take the plunge into that which I cannot see: faith!

3. I selected Esther and Mary because Esther is a character of courage and Mary is a character of purpose.

4. Have not done this yet 😉

5. Partner with God (day 2)