Redemption (Ruth Week 5)

By July 26, 2010Ruth

We’ve just completed week five of Ruth: Loss, Love and Legacy as we followed Ruth from the foot of the threshing floor into the marriage bed and birth of her first child. Most obvious to me is that during this season, Ruth never complained, never expressed anger at God, and never screamed in agony for her living conditions. She simply waited, trusted, and believed with all her heart, soul and strength in a God that was bigger than the problems of her life. I peeked ahead to see what she named the baby….and the abundant blessings waiting for Ruth in the last chapter of our study. I hope you’re enjoying the Kelly Minter study as much as I am! I think if Ruth was living in modern times with access to the internet, she’d most likely listen to this: My Redeemer Lives by Nicole C Mullen

Thank you for posting your prayer needs, we have been praying for you individually. If you have a special request, so please post your prayer requests here.

Kelly Minter Quotes

• One of the most tragic ways for a Christian to spend her life is to be in the right place with all the right resources but without a willing heart.
  • Our heritage is not a deal breaker for Christ.
  • Laying down our lives for others, for the sake of Jesus, is never wasted.
  • Ruth has lost, she has loved, and now she is leaving a legacy.

This Week’s Scripture Verses-NIV

For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.” Mark 10:45

With the arrival of Jesus, the Messiah, that fateful dilemma is resolved. Those who enter into Christ’s being-here-for-us no longer have to live under a continuous, low-lying black cloud. A new power is in operation. The Spirit of life in Christ, like a strong wind, has magnificently cleared the air, freeing you from a fated lifetime of brutal tyranny at the hands of sin and death. God went for the jugular when he sent his own Son. He didn’t deal with the problem as something remote and unimportant. In his Son, Jesus, he personally took on the human condition, entered the disordered mess of struggling humanity in order to set it right once and for all. The law code, weakened as it always was by fractured human nature, could never have done that. The law always ended up being used as a Band-Aid on sin instead of a deep healing of it. And now what the law code asked for but we couldn’t deliver is accomplished as we, instead of redoubling our own efforts, simply embrace what the Spirit is doing in us. Romans 8:1-4 The Message

Because Jesus lives forever, he has a permanent priesthood. Therefore he is able to save completely those who come to God through him, because he always lives to intercede for them. Hebrews 7:24-25

Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine. Isaiah 43:1

Group Discussion- Answer ONE or as MANY as you like!

1. On day one, page 121, Kelly asks “What sacrificial, scary, risky or costly decision have you made in obedience to God? And what were the results.”
  2. On day three, page 124, Kelly asks “Where are you in your surrender to God? Are you able but unwilling? Reflect on this and write your answer below.
  3. On day four, we looked at the elders blessing over Ruth. Share a biblical blessing over this group of women in Bible study with you.
  4. On day five, page 134, Kelly asks “How had God changed your life? What has He brought you from?” Share your answers with the group.

• Lil says:

1.This season of Unemployment doing what God wants me to do right now involves alot of waiting not being passive but waiting. God has wanted me to not have a desperate attitude or chase down or hustle like I usually do, but to wait and trust him. A lot of people have tried to add desperation and haste to this, even Christians but I think that the enemy wants these people to speak this over me so I will not succeed in waiting for God. I also know if I don’t find a job by September then I will go home to my family in a very very rural area without much opportunity. Waiting and knowing what I will return to are very scary, but this study was just what I needed if Ruth can do it so can I with Christ’s help.

2.I got turned down for jobs I have put work into and recently turned down for two jobs in day. Its hard to surrender to God that he has something better in mind after almost 9 months of waiting. Its hard to deal with the disappointment, but after another night of some anger and grief I know he renews me every morning and that I must trust in him. And to be honest Im not angry or disappointed anymore today so I know my faith is growing and that is exciting.

3.Protect and Keep all the women this year. Keep us growing in faith and walking with you. Give us a time of gleaning, abundance and provision. Keep our loved ones safe and allow us to have a wonderful year. Amen

4.Well Im still waiting for him to get me out of this unemployed state which I hate to harp on but this is my life right now. But he did deliver me from a non- christian boyfriend and I know one day I will meet the true Godly man he has for me. God has protected me from too much craziness and bad health during this unemployment and I pray he continues to do so.

• Jennifer Deffendall says:

1. To realize that what happened to me when I was young was not my fault.
    2. I say both, because there are times when it seems their different things going on that it is not possible but it is possible with the lord in your corner.
    3. Lord, let all the women who is in the group have great and prosperousness year.
    4. I am still learning to lean on him for many things. I see the different things that he has done for me over the past year.

4. I have grown the last year in the Lord. I have learned to lean on HIM and trust HIM. My prayer life has changed since this study thanks to prompting from Christine and HIM.

• Rachel Shears says:

1) It would have to be moving from everyone and everything we know in FL and GA to Oklahoma City for my husband’s work. And after months of gentle nudging by God, we felt led to take a leap of faith, quit the company my husband was working for and start our own construction business. We’ve been in business for 4 weeks now and have repaired 6 homes with 3 more to start this weekend and much business on the horizon, God be willing. It’s been exhilarating, scary, and wonderful all at the same time. Even with all the ups and downs so far, we’re so thankful to God for trusting in Him and His plan. Much pray would be so welcome in our endeavor.

• Victoria Milam says:

1. Moving from TX to AR. I left all I had ever known. It was scary and I wanted to turn back sometimes, but it was so worth it. Now I have a beautiful family, a great job, a wonderful church family, but most of all I am closer to God;my relationship with Him is 100 times what I thought it was back then!

2. Able & Willing. Although I admit that I may not be that way tomorrow! I am a human and my willingness tends to change, unfortunately depending on the circumstances. BUT, I am certainly working on becoming so willing that ANYTHING He calls me to do, I would do. I guess you could say, I just haven’t reached that point yet, but I think that I am so close I can taste it!

3. Lord, I pray a blessing over all of these women that have gathered in this place, from all over to learn more about You and Your God-Breathed Word! I pray that they were blessed tremendously through this study and will forever hold what they have learned close to their hearts. Thank You for blessing us!

4. He has brought me from-the low-life, druggie, addict, liar, manipulator to a clean, sober, college graduate, Bible reading, wife, mother, prayer warrior, God-fearing woman!!!!! Proud to be God’s girl!!!

• Lori says:

3. Father, God, I come to you now and ask you to bless each woman who has chosen to participate in this Bible study. I pray that you would fill each woman with the power of your Holy Sprit, so that she will shine as a light in her world, drawing others to You. Please bless the families that each one represents. Bless them as they go through this week, LORD. Give them strength, joy, and peace. In Jesus’ Name, Amen

• Tonya says:

1. to forgive my mom for something she has done when i was younger.
    2. I am still having some work to do to completely surrender to God There are some points i do struggle.
    3.Bless these women as we all study together your word.
    4. I was sexual and emotional abused by my mom and her husband. And it took me a while to reach to God to ask for help to forgive.

• Sue Schwendemann says:

1. Staying home with my husband (heart, diabetes). Been hard on both of us. WE feel such a sense of lost for things we no longer have…freedom to go places, do as we please. But I know this is were God wants me at this time in my life, and in Alec’s for whatever time we have left together. I am still a work in progress, learning to be more humble. This is my season right now. More changes to come through Him.

2. I am willing to surrender to God….but afraid what will happen. Can I give up all my control in my life? Can you pray for me? Fear may be a big part of it also…what happens next? Thanks.

3. Lord bless these woman who come to you this summer doing the Ruth study. Show them your love,and your protection under your mighty wing. Amen

4. Okay a very hard one to do, but I feel as if God is speaking to me on this one. TELL IT!!!! God has brought me so far from being a rebellious teen, awful daughter, friend, wife, and plain mean to my family. That was just not going on in my teens but until my 30’s. You would not have wanted to be around me. He changed me slowly after my mom’s death in 1985. I should just surrender to him, and have been trying to every day. Oh, I am far from being where I should be. I still slip and forget to hold on. To this day I STILL have a bad temper and anger issue. I am still learning to trust and obey

Sue,
      Thanks for sharing #4. I have been having a rough time lately, a little depressed, talking down to myself… you know, that old Serpent Satan has really been attacking me using a handy weapon- myself! As a result, I, too have not been pleasant to be around… so much that it has caused problems with me and my hubby and has caused my seven year old to say, “Mom, why are you so sad?” Through this study, and my interactions with the Word and also with church, God has really been talking to me. I realize that I am so very blessed, and that even though I may not be perfect, no one is. Glad to know that everyone else struggles, too… seems like when you feel bad about yourself you get in the habit of looking around and thinking everyone else has it made. God bless you!
      Lauren

• Sue Schwendemann says:

Lauren,
        Thanks for answering. I needed to hear for someone today or this day. Satan really been busy with me today. The temper and anger think going bad. Caused my hubby to run into his room and nap. God bless you also.

Sue

• Jyothi says:

God is still changing my life. I am still a work in progress, I have so much to learn, so much work still needs to be done in my heart, and so much still to let go.
    But man, if I can only allow you all to see where I have come from. God has brought me from a life FILLED of sin, hurt, brokenness, lies, deceit, anger, bitterness, and just levels and levels of bondage. I have been down the wrong road so many times, not even knowing what it meant to look up. I was in love with what the world had to offer until everything was stripped from me…. but that was the best thing that could have happened… because I was brought to my knees- to my Maker. I understand that our God is a jealous God and he will strip little things from your life to get your attention, and he did, but I still never listened, until there was nothing left and I had no where else to turn. But I understand that being broken is a way to understand what it really means to be a product of grace. I understand that I would be nowhere it it wasn’t for God’s love and mercy in my life. I now know what complete and utter happiness in the Lord truly means, even to bask in his glory, even when things are still going wrong.. but all this was learned at a price. It was not easy, but I am so happy to be where I am today. To be serving the Lord, still allowing God to chip away from my life what is not of Him, but to be someone who was restored and redeemed.

• Jyothi says:

I decided to withdraw my application to medical school and go after a passion God placed in my heart to get my masters in Christian Counseling. none but one supported me (my fiance). My parents, best friends, and even church members all told me to stop what I was doing and that I was making an irrational decision. However, I knew this was where God wanted me to go, and although everyone was doubting and bringing me down, I was terrified but being wrong in this decision. Now, because I stepped out in faith, I have never been happier. God has revealed SO MUCH of himself to me over this last year in grad school and open so many doors of ministry, allowing me to work with such amazing men and women of God. He is allowing me to do what I was made to do, and serve him, which is ultimately the beat of my heart.

• Cathey says:

1. A scary decision I made in the past was dedicating my children to God. This was relatively easy to do when they were infants, but it hit me between my eyes when my son was seriously ill when he was in college. God showed me that I had not been willing to completely trust Him to take care of my son and look out for his best interests no matter what the diagnosis was. I completely surrendered my son to God that day trusting that God’s name would be glorified. I was scared of the future but God was faithful. By the way, my son is perfectly healthy today:)

• Vanda says:

1. I left my first job through restructuring without a job in a bad economy but God was there with me. He said “STOP” to continue with a lesser position they offered if I stayed. My friend at a theatre company needed someone to run a project at that time and worked in $500/month allowance for me into the budget. It tide me over a few months while I applied for jobs. I had 2 job offers at the same time after 5 months. I said ‘yes’ to one of them and is still in the same company today, 10 years on.

2. I’m working on this one. Sometimes I’m not sure if it is God’s voice or if it is something we want/don’t want. I need a clear Word/sign to know that it is God’s direction. When I have that Word/sign, I am comforted and at peace with the decision and will be willing or willing to be made willing.

3. “The LORD himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged.” Deut 31:8

4. I’m now wife to my husband and mom to 2 beautiful children who sing songs of praise everyday. I never dreamed of having 2 children especially after a miscarriage for our first pregnancy. I know He provides for us every step of the way, even finding this bible study!

• Shannon says:

1) I (my family) is following a path that God placed in front of us (to move)… I quit my job, have my son registered at his new school, have our house for sale in which my husband is staying in: so not to leave it empty (commuting between the two homes)…. this is a very scary situation to be in. I feel like we’ve made a very big sacrifice, scary, risky and very costly decision. BUT… God put all this in place and we are being obedient. We are trusting in His plan for our life in a new place. God is working everyday with new confirmations that He is in control and working. He is orchestrating this as He sees fit. Putting things right into place in His time. God is so amazing!

2) Surrender is so hard. I can surrender it all to God and then turn around and take it all back. I have been better through this study though to actually surrender and let God have it and I’m much slower to pull back. Ruth has taught me patience. Give it to God to take care of. He will handle it. I am able but learning to be willing.

3) Lord, I ask your blessing over each of the women in this study. I pray that each of their hearts are in the same beat as yours. Each one of us has our own personal battles, we each have our lives (past and present) to ask you to redeem and purify. I ask you to carry each of these beautiful ladies under your wings; to love, to forgive, to praise, to guide and direct, to protect and most of all remember. We all seem to think you might forget us because we can be impatient, but we know in our hearts Lord you will remember us and you will cast your light upon us and provide for us in your time… our lives are your story and I ask you to bless each one of us with the rememberence of who you are and the almight power you have over us. It’s in the name of your son Jesus that I ask this prayer and blessing. Amen

4)I look back at my past (mid/late teens) and I see the person (my husband) that you placed into my life at just the right time for rescue. You placed him in my life when I wasn’t even looking. Over the last 26 years I have been blessed beyond measure, grown in the spirit, become a person who trusts, I like myself, I know how to love and be loved. God changed my life in 1984 and I am truly blessed and thank Him everyday for his redeeming love.

• Julie B says:

Discussion- Answer ONE or as MANY as you like!

1. Trusting God, when I am in the deepest pit…is the scariest decision. Yet, I always find that when I turn it all over completely to Him, there is a peace that comes over me.
    2. I am in surrender to God. Difficult times have helped me get my priorities straight. God is good and faithful and I see Him working in my life. I want a closer relationship and find the more time I spend in prayer and study, the closer I feel to God and can see what he is doing in my life.
    3. Heavenly Father, I thank you so much for these beautiful women who share in the Bible study. Please protect then and help them see your blessings in their lives. May your spirit fill them with wisdom and love and help them draw closer to you.
    4. God continues to work in my life. I know without a shadow of a doubt that He calls me by name and cares for me–even when I am far from my best.
    I know that he has plans for me–plans that are far better than what I can imagine.

• 4. The Lord brought me out of the pit of despair and into His joy. In my loneliest time He brought my husband to me and opened a door that had appeared closed forever. The Lord showed me that He has always loved me and always will and that love is reflected in my husbands’ words, thoughts and deeds. Because of this, my trust in the Lord is much greater. And when I read about His redemptive love, His sacrificial love for me, it makes me more grateful and humble that He would love this “Gomer.”

I think question 1, 3, & 4 all have simiiliar answers for me. I have struggled with surrender all my life, and am willing for God to use me for His purpose. However, seems like when I get to a place where I truly start seeking God, the devil really starts shooting those fiery darts at me, and my armour at times seems to have holes in it. HOwever, over and over again in this workbook I have stated that I am growing, I’m improving, and I’m drawing closer… I’m trying to get rid of my bitterness and hatefulness like Naomi so I can be more like Ruth. I know that these feelings are human and normal but not what I want myself to be like. Always before, I have opted out of much sacrifice, choosing to take the easy road and “weep backward” away from risks. I have prayed to God to help me an I know that He will, I just need to continue to do my part by staying in His word and seeking HIm… please join me in praying that I will do this!
    That being said, I pray that God will bless all those who are reading this with a joy so large it won’t fit in their heart, but will overflow to all those around them. I pray that we will become an influence in our communities, our nation, and our world. God bless!!

Praying over you Lauren, may Christ in you give you courage and strength, to be stronger than any spiritual forces that distract you, sidestep you, and pull your eyes away from the Father. May you see yourself as a Daughter of the King, wearing a crown of Grace and clothing of protection- armed with the Word and His voice. Call upon the Holy Spirit and the authority given to you, and stand strong in the army of God.

• Michele says:

1. I have noticed that when I do decide to submit to God’s will there is a payoff whether a blessing or a bad situation avoided.
    2. I try to surrender to God. I want to be willing but sometimes seem to fight a losing battle against myself.
    3. I ask our heavenly father to bless all the women in this group by opening their hearts to your ways and be able to receive your blessings.
    4. God has brought me to a better place in my life. He has brought me from my rebellious teenage and early 20’s to a faith filled wife and mother.

• Sue Schwendemann says:

Michele,

Thanks for sharing your answer number 4. I been there, done that until in my 30’s. May the Lord bless you and your family.

Susan

• Joeanna says:

1.God spoke to me about taking a job helping families with children with Special Needs. It was 2 dollars less an hour and no insurance. I fearfully obeyed, In 2months they gave me 2dollars more and insurance. I have loved my job for 7yrs.He surrounded me with many christian friends at work.I have seen Him performe miracle after miracle.

2 I am totally surrendered, He has given everything for me. I am willing.

3 Lord, You are the Giver of Life. Lord in Jesus’ name I ask that You bless every woman here with the desire to live in total surrender to You.They are the apple of Your eye. In Jesus Name -Amen

4. God has brought me from depression, panic, and dependence on men for my worth.He has taken my mind and made it new.He showed me what love from a Father is suppose to be.

• Heather says:

1. I’m trying to have a comment to God just by being more involed in my church and at fist it was hard b/c David my husband is not willing to watch the boys so i have to take them with me. but thankfully this has worked out and i know that it will continue to do so.
    2.I have just started my journey with God. But i am willing to follow God on this journey.
    3. I pray for God to listen to all of our prays of forgivness So we can all be made pure again.
    4.God has brought me a happiness and a peace that only a true believer can feel.

• Marrissa says:

4. I’ve been through a few transformations. I was shy and timid as a young girl. Moving into early adulthood I experienced a few heartaches and became angry, bitter and withdrawn. Fortunately, God has restored me and I can see my heart, mind and soul changing into one of thanksgiving, praise and full of joy!

• Mary Ann says:

1. The act of trusting God has been, what I perceived to be, a risk. Of course, not that I have, I realize that I am NOTHING without God in my life. Absolutely NOTHING!
    2. I’m still in the able and, somewhat, unwilling. (I think.) I struggle with what is MY will and what is HIS will. (This is a constant struggle in my life. All I can do is pray that He shows me His will.)
    3. May God watch over each of the women participating here. I thank Him for the blessings He’s already brought. My hope is for Him to continue to bless each and every one of us with the open mind, hunger for and continued trust in Him–to protect us from any evil that may try to sway our minds and hearts!
    4. Oh my…can I say, shall I count the ways! He has removed anxiety from me, helping me battle the fears I still may have. He’s healed me physically. He’s given me a better attitude and outlook on life!

• Debbie says:

1. When my husband was demoted from his job four years ago, after being a stay-at-home mom for 18 years, I went back to work as an office manager. It wasn’t the choice I wanted to make, as I loved being a full time homemaker. The next year my husband lost his job, decided to retire due to health reasons, we moved out of state, and then in March, 2010 my husband almost died from a life threatening infection. Through all this, I have been able to keep my job, running the office virtually from my kitchen table in Oregon, 1,100 miles from the home office in California. Now I have the best of both worlds! I’m thankful that my boss is a Christian and listens to his Lord as well! God Is Good!!!
    2. Honestly, I stink at surrendering. I initially give things up to God, then minutes (maybe seconds!) later take them back. I am most definitely a control freak and a massive work in progress! I am thankful the Lord is so patient with me 🙂
    3. Lord, I ask that you bless each lady with the mental vision or picture of Jesus proclaiming to the most honored in her community that He is PROUD to redeem her. May she feel your love and delight for her.
    4. Through the trials our family has endured the past four years, the Lord has shown me that He always provides what we need and that He is always faithful. He is strengthening my trust in Him. (See #2… I am learning to release control!)

• 1. When my husband decided to move to our current city I did not have a peace about it at all. In my heart I felt like it wasn’t a good move for our family, but I knew I must be obedient to my husband’s authority, and therefore, to God’s authority. We’ve been here just over two years; two years filled with many struggles and heartaches. I could easily tell my husband (and maybe even God), “I told you so!” Instead I am trying to be supportive of my husband and trying to trust in God for our next move.

My husband has an interview this Friday and another one on Monday. Please pray that one of these jobs will be “the one” that God wants for us.

1. Adopting a child, she has brought joy and challenge into our lives. I am learning patience.
    2. I struggle every day with surrender. I like to be in control, it is difficult to give it up, but I am still trying.
    3. Heavenly Father, please bless the women in my bible study. Help them to learn the lessons that you have for them in it.
    4. God has made me a more loving and sharing person. I have a ways to go, but I am continuing to change more and more everyday.

• Kristin Holder says:

Recently, I began to go back to church and completed my first Beth Moore study. I was really feeling led to join a small group and after realizing I have lost connection with most of my friends. After attending Inheritance, a group of ladies asked me to join their small group. Now within a few months, I have developed multiple friendships with the most amazing women. I just realized that God opened those friendships up to me…not by luck…but by God. Before meeting the ladies I had felt led to start a small group….it didn’t work but I realize that I was trying to control my life….and decided to sit back and just let God show me the way….and how He blessed me is a miracle in itself.

• Kelley says:

1. Going to college at 28 years old. As a single mom with a 2 year old, I felt God leading me to go to school. It was a challenge trying to work part-time, go to school part-time and raise a child full-time. But God was with me all the way. Today I am a successful accountant working for a mid-size church in Atlanta. All for the Glory of God!

2. I would love to say I am willing but fear seems to be my downfall and continues to hold me back. Pray for my fearfulness to be overcome so I become wholeheartedly willing no matter what the Lord asks.

Praying Kelley. Fear is not a spiritual gift, it is an obstacle from the enemy. Grab power over it with scripture.

• Carla Lowe- Tucker says:

1. Staying at home with my children. It has been tough at times and sometimes i find myself trapped with feelings of dependency on my husband (which is so tough because i hate relying on others even if i know that they’re reliable). The results have been that we’ve never gone without and it’s helping to free me from being prideful and helping me to relying more on my faith in many areas.
    2. Willing but, fearful of what that may entail. I’m asking God to make me willing to be willing to completely trust in where he’s taking me without fear
    3. May God bless each and every woman in this study to be more like Ruth in all of her ways. Willing to trust God completely without any restraints and fully accept his redemption of us all.
    4. He has brought me from seeking selfish gain and made me more willing to use my gifts and talents for him. He’s still working on bringing me out of a quick temper…just as sure as I’m certain that I’ve mastered being “slow to anger”, i fail another test!

1. Starting a Christian business was very risky for me, especially in a field I knew nothing about. Yet I heard the calling and obeyed, trusting the Lord to lead and teach me. The results have yet to be determined.

2. I am completely surrendered and willing. Through my obedience, I am being equipped.

3. I ask for the presence of Jesus and the breath of the Holy Spirit to wash over each woman in this group study. May His love fill your heart with peace, may His word fill your heart with wisdom and may His sacrifice fill your heart with grace. May He bless your family and your home with his unyielding presence and love.

4. He has moved me from a far away, distant land, like Ruth. As I listened with my heart and followed His voice, I found myself walking closer, and then eventually walking side by side with Jesus.

• Martha says:

Thanks for the blessing. I always get goose bumps when someone says a blessing over me.
      This study has been wonderful. I’ve looked at all the events in a new light.
      Thanks also for sharing the video…..My Redeemer Lives….and so do I that is what He has done for me.