25 Excuses for Not Participating in Bible Study

By July 28, 2010Misc

Can you think of at least ten good reasons why you should NOT participate in Bible study? We’ve complied our list of favorites here. You are welcome to add your own excuses in the comments section below, lets have some fun with this! Maybe we can get the list to “100 reasons not to participate in bible study.”

Top 25 Reasons Not to Participate in Bible Study

1. I do not have a bible, or, I can’t find my bible.
  2. My kids need my attention and God can wait.
  3. There is no time in my day, God will understand my busy schedule.
  4. Work is so demanding and draining all my energy, when it calms down I’ll have time for God.
  5. My social life is a mess…I mean…a HUGE mess…and I need to sort it out before I can spend time reading the bible.
  6. I couldn’t get the book.
  7. I’m really sick and the doctor said I should sleep and not read the bible.
  8. I am so tired…I just want to spend time on Twitter and play Facebook games, and not spend time with God.
  9. Serious….me read a Bible? The whole house would burn down and my family would think I had a terminal illness.
  10. I’ve already read the bible and got nothing out of it.
  11. When I’m old and wearing purple I’ll read it.
  12. There are so many translations, I don’t know which one to get.
  13. I don’t like books that you can’t finish or read cover to cover.
  14. People will laugh at me in Bible study, because I don’t know much, so I’ll just avoid the embarrassment.
  15. I’ll be converted to a religion…waking up one day to discover I’m wearing WWJD shorts!
  16. Bible speaking people are stern, serious, strict and scary. They carry yellow notes with the word “guilt” and play tag with the others in the study.
  17. I can’t find my glasses.
  18. I don’t like the bible study leader.
  19. All the women in my group are too young and we have nothing in common. All the women in my group are too old and we have nothing in common.
  20. I’ve heard bad things about the author, and we all know gossip is reliable information.
  21. I don’t understand what I am reading, after all, the bible was originally written in another language thousands of years ago.
  22. I like my current  state of laziness and God said I should take a daily rest.
  23. It’s really boring and I get much more inspiration from the popular books and television shows. Who needs scripture!
  24. There’s nothing in it for me….sinners don’t own, read or study the bible.
  25. I’m too scared to face God.

Disclaimer: If you read carefully, I did say “lets have some fun with this!” So don’t take this personally….it’s not meant to offend you.

• Natalie says:

How about… I’m afraid I will catch fire for God and drive away everyone I know by becoming a one track record….?

• Caroline Parr says:

How about: I already participate in a Bible Study.

• Craig says:

The one I like the best is ….

“I like my current state of laziness and God said I should take a daily rest.”

It’s a dual purpose excuse – I could use it for not attending church on Sunday too (◔‿◔), And how do you know me well enough already to quote me that accurately (◔‿◔)

God bless you Christine!!

• Kim Hawkins says:

Love this article. I’ve seen both sides of this coin. I have been the one with excuses and I have been the one listening to them. Like anything, you just have to decide. Thanks for sharing and for the giggles.

• Jason Rojo says:

Here’s two for an excuse: I’m too cool to read the bible. I can’t reach my bible, my pride/ego is blocking it.

• Aaron N. says:

That is quite an extensive list.. I’m sure it’s a pretty accurate portrayal though.

Being called on to pray is a pretty real concern for many people. Likewise, good group leaders shouldn’t put new people on the spot like that.. usually a good way to make that their first and last visit.

Another real concern for some is that they aren’t very knowledgeable, and feel dumb about it all.

Great list!

• patsyanne says:

I like the comment about being called on to pray. I did it, felt like a dork, but was reminded that God knew my heart! I love Bible studies! Never tried one on line before though……. humm….

• Peter Ajisafe says:

It’s the pastor’s duty to preach, all I do is listen. So, why read the Bible.
    Strange!

• melina says:

there’s no reason why we should not study the bible…

• Gloria says:

It is funny that I found this today because I came home so disappointed last night. We had just watched Session 9 on video at our church and there were only 4 ladies there including myself. I was disappointed that the women lost interest and so many of them cant find time for the bible study but have time for everything else.

• Sheree says:

How about, “I’m afraid I will be called on to pray.”

• Mary Helen says:

Sheree,

that too is my fear!!! I am always worried they will ask me to pray out loud!!! and that i will stumble or say something dumb…

• Deborah says:

“I did a study like that once….no need to do another one.” My mother-in-law says that every time I ask her to do a study with me.

Then there is mine…..I got behind and never got caught up…so I just stopped.

• Kai says:

I finally made the decision to do this after thinking some of these. I am a super busy mom of 4 daughters, a full time nurse who is also continuing my education. Honestly, I need Him now more than ever!

What a beautiful testimony of how God reaches out to you and calls your name. I can’t wait to see what He reveals to you during this study. Welcome Kai

• Becky says:

A few more for the list:
    -They won’t like me and/or I won’t like them
    -I could lead one of those I’ve been to so many (ok then why don’t you?)

• Michelle says:

I’m a newbie in my faith walk and to bible studies, so in all seriousness my own excuses include…

I’m a single working mom and I don’t have anyone to rely on for regular childcare during the times traditional bible studies are offered.

I’ve attended a few group studies and I didn’t feel safe to share in some of them…lots of cross talking.

I’m so new at this, I’m not sure I have much to contribute…just more questions.

I’m excited to have found this site. I’m hopeful that this will be a medium which will work with my own individual challenges and break through those roadblocks that have inhibited my faith journey! Thank you Christine et al for creating this forum!

• Sharon says:

What if someone finds out I do not know so much about the Bible! Ugh let’s see that is why it is a Bible study!

• Vanda says:

I just heard one the other day:
    The bible is too opinionated. (hm… durh, He’s God!)

• Mary says:

Here’s a few you can add:

I’m really shy and I don’t like to participate and I’m afraid someone will want me to respond to a question.

Will it impress anybody if I do a bible study?

I’m a christian and God already knows it.

I just don’t like to read.

I don’t think I’ll get anything out of it.

• Shannon says:

I’ve heard this in Seminary:

“I read the Bible for class, so I don’t need to read it for any more study than that.”

Sad indeed….although some of the ones listed made me giggle:-)

• barbara says:

i just don’t get it.

• Jean says:

“I’m too busy working in the church, doing other things, to attend Bible study.” That was my reason for years . . . I was too busy playing the organ or directing choir . . . but no more! I am free from excuses!

I’m too tired and too depressed.

• “I have too much pride, and don’t want people to know that I don’t KNOW God.”

“I’m comfortable with unbelief. It’s easier to believe God doesn’t exist than to believe in someone/something I can’t see.”

“I’m proud to follow the legal rules of my church and religion, and outside bible study is strictly forbidden for real Christians.”

• Julie Hodges says:

you know what is sad is as a Pastor’s wife I have heard many of these…
    after what God has done for me…

If these excuses sound “sad” to us, imagine how they sound to Jesus! No wonder why He returns!!! Calling ourselves Christ-ians and then living in ourselves instead of living in Him. LIVE UP!

• Wen says:

I can’t find the different books/chapters of the Bible to be in a Bible Study.

• Carla says:

I prayed this morning! There’s no need to read the bible too

• Lorna says:

my cell phone has no service

• Mary Ann says:

I laughed and laughed when I read some of thesse.