More of His Voice-Seminar One (Day 4)

john109Welcome back to the Bible Cafe as we continue our study  Pursuing More of Jesus by Anne Graham Lotz. We’re now on the fourth day- how quickly this study seems to be going!

Today’s Scripture Verse

Jesus used this figure of speech, but they did not understand what he was telling them. Therefore Jesus said again, “I tell you the truth, I am the gate for the sheep. All who ever came before me were thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not listen to them. I am the gate; whoever enters through me will be saved. He will come in and go out, and find pasture.”  John 10:6-9

Father, open our hearts and speak to us with your word. Guide us in the study so we may understand scriptures and understand the words of Jesus. Give us confidence as we establish a study habit and routine for learning your word. In Jesus name. Amen.

Individual Activity

Complete pages 24-25 in your workbook.

Here is my example for Steps 3 and 4. It is simply my opinion, and my purpose in sharing it is to help you understand how the workbook helps me in learning scriptures. Step 5 is helpful because we form an action or decision from what we just learned.

Step 3 Questions:
Is there an example to follow in this verse?

• We don’t always understand Jesus or scriptures (they did not understand what he was telling them)
  • Jesus tells the truth (I tell you the truth)

What are the people doing in the verse that I should be doing, or not doing?

• Enter the gate to be saved (enters through me will be saved)
  • Come in and out of the sheep pen (come in and go out, and find pasture)
  • Did not listen to thieves and robbers (sheep did not listen to them)

Is there a promise to claim?

• Enter the gate to be saved (enters through me will be saved)

Is there a warning to heed?

• Robbers and thieves came before Jesus (All who ever came before me were thieves and robbers)
  • Do not listen to thieves and robbers (sheep did not listen to them)

A command to obey?

• Enter through Jesus (enters through me)

Step 4 Questions:

• Do I understand what Jesus is saying, and if not, why?
  • Do I hear the truth, or am I still listening to thieves and robbers?
  • When did I enter the gate to be saved?
  • Why do we go in and out of the pasture?

After completing Steps 3 and 4, I find myself contemplating more questions than answers. This is where Step five is helpful: Create an action plan.

• Father, I want to pursue more of Jesus and understand his words. Help me discern the truth and filter out the thieves. I willingly enter the gate and follow my Shepherd to be saved. I will continue to study my Bible and learn from scriptures so I may know Jesus.

Group Activity

Please share something you found when reading the verse today. Each of us will continue to have different answers and discoveries, so sharing will unite us in a common goal: pursuing more of Jesus.

Post a comment to share your thoughts.

• Charmaine says:

Welcome Pam!! Loved your comments. So beautiful and true.

• Pam says:

Thank you Charmaine! I noticed that you also love the pictures. Wasn’t that one on the second day awesome…just wanted to walk down that path with all those sheep in those pretty trees. I’ve only seen pics of sheep,or seen sheepherders in open places. I love the little lamb today, too! He looks so sweet and innocent you just want to pick him up and hug him!….or is he plotting on how to get out of those bars? anyway, thanks and i enjoy your posts as well..isn’t this fun!

• Penny says:

Thanks you for the guidance with the suggestions, questions… You are a great leader/
    What one translation said that stood out to me is that we are free to come and go and He is still with us wherever we go.

• Pam says:

HI all! I am so glad to be part of this study! It’s taken me awhile to have time to get onboard as I work 12 hour nights in a small ER, and USUALLY we have some down time, but this week has been busy, and have worked unusual number of shifts, so haven’t had time to get online and share. But have read through and love the honesty, openness and sharing that I’m reading here!
    So, my thoughts so far:
    Lesson 1: I can either be a theif or robber or I can enter by the gate.
    Lesson 2:I’m mixed in with a bunch of other sheep – each have their own shepherds for their own flocks. I need to listen for my Shepherd to lead me out after Him – Jesus!(Jesus “calls his own sheep” I am one of his little sheep!”)
    Lesson 3: I will be brought out from amongst the other sheep BY JESUS who leads me. I need to learn to recognize His still small voice and run from false leaders, even if they seem “religious”. (Jesus does this, “when HE has brought out all His own” I can rest in the fact that He is doing this, not me)
    Lesson 4: Jesus is my gate and I can graze safely no matter where I am because He is there also as my Shepherd. The shepherd acted as a gate for the sheep by literally lying down where a gate would be and the sheep wouldn’t leave the pen, or at least that is what I have read somewhere! So Jesus lies down for me, when He laid down at the cross, and now stands as my Shepherd to keep me safe! YAY Jesus my safe pasture.

That’s my short synopsis. Now some WOWs for me. I love the picture of the sheep in the field where there are 2 and one has a blue mark on it’s side. It shows that the owner has marked that sheep for himself. It reminds me of Passover when the doorways were marked with blood and the angel of death passed over the houses. Jesus has marked us with His Holy Spirit and blood when we believed in Him and just as that little sheep is marked, we are by Jesus who “owns us”. “We are not our own, we are bought with a price”. So I can be as dumb as a little sheep supposedly is, but rest in my Saviour, my Shepherd knowing I am His and He is watching out for me.
    God’s disciples sitting listening first hand often didn’t get what Jesus was telling them, so why should we so many years later? But, when they didn’t get it, He went on to explain a second or third time. Jesus is that patient with us.
    We don’t have to have all the answers, we just have to know the Answer, and it sounds like we all do, JESUS! and His Word. The desire to know Him at a deeper level is the Spirit’s work in us, and proof that we are His. The truth comes from reading His Word, “sanctify them in truth, thy Word is truth”.
    We grow in truth by sharing our glimpses of that truth that the Spirit lays on our hearts and minds, and by making sure it aligns with His word.
    God is so good! Reading your testimonies is so enriching, and have felt touched, especially by hearing of loss of a child. My heart goes out to you. I went through a similar experience with a friend who lost her 21 year old son, who was like a son to me.
    God has always seemed to have his hand on my life, even when I have walked my own path, that is why I feel so strongly that it is His working in my life, rather than anything I have done, except that I chose to listen to Him. I was in a wrong relationship for most of my adult life, and the Lord chose to show me that was not His way. Through His grace and people He placed in my life to help me I am trying now to walk leaning on His strength.
    The world lies, even churches lie, it is God and His Word that will lead us to truth. This is a great study, and I am so glad to have a place to share my thoughts and read yours.
    You’re a great group of women!

• Desiree says:

I’m still not sure about this either, but I think that this scripture means that many will come and go seeking truth, but only a few will actually recognize it and accept it. The ones who do will acknowledge Jesus and find the truth they seek.

• Charmaine says:

I guess Verse 9 got my interest the most. He will come in and go out and find pasture. When we receive salvation when we go back into the world our needs are supplied by him. He shall supply all our needs. The sheep get their needs (or supply)from the pasture. That’s where they get nourished and that’s where we get nourished. However, I don’t think I’ve been spending enough time in the pasture these last couple years but thank God He’s calling me back to the pasture.