More of His Spirit-Seminar Three (Day 4)

crosshandHow quickly this study is progressing, with just a week and a few days remaining! My initial desire in following the workbook Pursuing More of Jesus was to find  more intimacy with my Savior. In this study, I’m right where I want to be as we complete the final two weeks of study!

As a quick reminder, we’ll study the Anniversary Edition of Breaking Free by Beth Moore in the next study. The book releases November 1, 2009.

Today’s Scripture Verse

Then Judas (not Judas Iscariot) said, “But, Lord, why do you intend to show yourself to us and not to the world?”

Jesus replied, “If anyone loves me, he will obey my teaching. My Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him. He who does not love me will not obey my teaching. These words you hear are not my own; they belong to the Father who sent me. John 14:22-24

Reminder-if you want to see today’s verse in a different translation, simply click the link button and you’ll be at BibleGateway.com

Almighty Father, you alone are my rock and in you I put my trust. Thank you for sending a Savior to teach me and a Counselor to guide me. I willingly obey you with all my heart, soul, mind and strength. Watch over me as I grow in faith and love. Amen.

Individual Activity

Complete pages 56-57 in your workbook.

Group Activity

Do you have thoughts about today’s lesson that you find confusing, insightful or helpful to your walk of faith? If so, please share your study with others in the group and post a comment for discussion.

• pam says:

Charmaine, i would love to read your blog if it is public. I don’t think you have a little mind at all! Your thoughts are clear and helpful. I see the Father in the Son and Holy Spirit in us as well. It is a Trinity thing, a blend of all.
    I asked a friend who is really literate in the Bible what she thought of the first question asked above by Judas, and she said that it related to the fact that Jesus came to His chose people Israel, and that the rest of the nations where pollytheistic at that time, so He was coming to show Himself to His chosen people. The second part says that He is available to all, but that initially His ministry was to the Jewish nation. It reminds me of the story of the women who begged for food and Jesus initially said, woman what have I to do with you, and she said, even dogs get scraps from Master’s table, and then He responded to her Faith. We approach as gentiles through Faith, and He shows Hinself to us through our Faith in Him. But initially He was trying to redeem His nation Israel….”oh how a mother broods over her hens to repent, but you would not”….we have the wonderful opportunity to hear and repent and He will be there for us as well.
    Anyway, just some thoughts on the other, and hopefully your blog is public…

• Desiree says:

For today’s scripture I am just going to take it as I see it. I don’t know enough really to ask questions or to discuss it further. I think I understand this to mean that Jesus is delivering a message from God. What the significance of this is I do not know… but I guess/hope I will learn that eventually.

• Charmaine says:

In my little mind when Jesus tells us “it came from the Father” I have to think of the Trinity as One. God came to earth in His son so He could be come a sin offering for us (Romans 8) and when he left we became indwelled by the Holy Spirit when we believed on the name of Jesus Christ. When he says it’s from the Father it makes me feel closer to God the Father through God the Son with the aid of the Holy Spirit. This may not make any sense to anyone but me but that’s how God is. We are all unique and He knows what we need. Also I’ve been studying and writing about Galatians on my blog so I’m enmeshed in the Holy Spirit right now and this study has been a great accompaniment for me while doing the two. God is so good ladies. Five months ago I was in complete despair about my walk with the Lord and through writing about it and “really” getting back in His Word I am strengthened by Him and healed by Him and encouraged by Him after a lot of hurt in the body of Christ. We can only look to Him in our sorrow, hurts, and disappointments and through that He will reveal to us what needs to be revealed for us to get back on the “narrow road”. I love him with all my heart, all my soul (mind, will, and emotions) and all my strength and I determine to love my neighbors as myself. God bless each and every lady who is sticking with this study. It’s is so good to “hear” the Father’s words.

Perfect timing Theresa, I spent the morning watching the DVD by Lee Strobel: The Case for Christ! In the video, many people today believe Christ existed, yet did not believe he rose from the dead or is the Son of Man. Even though they believe, they do not LOVE.

Jesus tells us the words are from the Father to remind us he is the father.

Why not try some other translations to see what we get for this verse, could be fun!

• Theresa says:

I looked at other translations….this is actually one of my favorite things to do.

I think that Jesus is saying it more like…Hey, don’t kill the messenger, He said it…Are you going to follow me or not. Your Choice.

This is fun.

• Theresa says:

So I am going to show my spiritual immaturity tonight and ask a couple questions I would love to hear responses for. Please keep in mind that I am sitting here with two teenagers. So if my questions sound childish it is due to parental reversion into teenagedom. 🙂

Verse 22….
    Does He only chose to show himself to us because we believe?
    The world won’t see him because they don’t believe?
    So basically due to their unbelief and them being unable to accept Jesus as the Savior they can’t see Him. If the world chose to believe would they then be able to see Him?

Verse 24 (This is the teenager coming out)….
    When Jesus says that the words we hear aren’t his but the Father’s. Is he warning us so we know that He may not agree or is He warning us because we are stupid flesh. So kind of like…. The Father said this but that is not realistic. Have faith I am here interceding for you.

Or is it more like…Don’t blame me, He is the one who said it and is in charge?

I am pretty sure I am wrong on both counts and that it is a gentle childing to remind us to obey his commands. I hope to read some opinions as to my thoughts. 🙂

Thanks Ladies

Jesus reassures us before he leaves. WE come to the Father and WE make our home with him, because of Jesus. Jesus will send the Holy Spirit to us. Because we have a relationship with Jesus, we are going to be able to love God back like God loves us. We’ll be able to love ourselves like God loves us. We’re able to love others like God loves others. Why? J…E…S…U…S

How can we love God, love others,love our spouse, love our children and love ourselves-until we love God with all our heart? If you love God, be willing to receive His love: J…E…S…U….S

Spend the rest of your life loving God, Jesus, yourself and everybody else…like… J…E…S…U…S

Our reply: I can’t do that.

So Jesus sends the helper, the Holy Spirit, to teach us and help us meet this command.

Did anyone notice the visual I provided with the photo in Day 2 and this one, Day 4? One photo reminds us of the spirit, the other reminds us of Jesus. Yet they both look the same!