More of His Spirit-Seminar Three (Day 3)

LVgirlpinkcoatHere we are again, Pursuing More of Jesus at the Women’s Bible Cafe. It’s been an interesting study, since the format is less structured that other studies we completed.

If this is your first study, we’d like you to know: those of us who have completed other studies are finding this study a challenge! We’re not comfortable with the format and the lack of direction from the book author. There are no answers in this workbook, and most of the pages are blank! We are learning from the inductive study format, yet we are also questioning our own understanding of scripture.

The study through the Gospel of John has opened our eyes to some important ideas, while at the same time left us feeling inadequate in Biblical knowledge. The only answer I have for this: Persevere. Don’t allow yourself to quit from frustration, simply move on the the next page of study, or participate in the discussions. By quitting, you excuse yourself from the daily presence of being with God. Maintain your daily time with God.

Today’s Scripture Verse

On that day you will realize that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you. Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me. He who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love him and show myself to him.” John 14:20-21

Heavenly Father, know that we are here to listen to your word and learn from scriptures. Give us the knowledge and understanding to motivate us as we complete our inductive study. Stay near and listen to our words. Guide the women  participating in the Womens Bible Cafe into a deeper faith. Amen.

Individual Activity

Complete pages 54-55 in your workbook.

Group Activity

How did you respond to this scripture verse?

• Charmaine says:

Love the vertical thinking. Also brings to my mind when I lay down I am horizontal and sometimes when I am horizontal I lay down on my walk with the Lord. But if I walk upright then I am vertical and more in line with Him. I know, I’m weird but God made me this way and for that I thank him.

• Desiree says:

For my first study, I am having a very difficult time. I feel like I am getting more and more lost as each day continues. I don’t understand everything I am reading and I am just not “getting it.” However, I won’t quit, but I do admit that I am not learning as much as I thought I would. The workbook is not giving me as much guidance as I think I need. I know that is not your fault, Christine. I think I just need something a little more basic for my first time. The best part of the study for me is the interaction with you and the other women participating. For that, I am so very grateful!!

I do have one question: Is developing a relationship with God supposed to be this hard? For some reason, I thought it would be much easier…

I agree that this is difficult for a first time study. Beth Moore studies are easier to follow and understand.

Your question about developing a relationship with God reflects your expectations for the study. In our society, we expect instant gratification, including our relationship with God. Why should we wait to feel close, to hear Him speak, to understand his word. Why! If we read the Bible, go to church and study scripture-we’ve performed and we expect our reward. That is what author Debbie Alsdorf calls “Horizontal Thinking.” We expect what the world expects and we align out thoughts with world expectations. When you look across the room, your view is in alignment with worldly expectations. Take this question to the world and you get a worldly answer: you didn’t try hard enough, the study was too difficult, etc.

Another perspective is “Vertical thinking” where our thoughts are in alignment with God. “More of Him and less of me.” If you turn your eyes up, toward God’s view and seek your answer, you’ll get a different response. He sees you, and from his view, you do have a relationship with Him. He knows you are learning, exploring, and growing in faith. In God’s timing, He will reveal the relationship to you. Developing a relationship with God is one of trust, patience, obedience and faith-Yours!

What does a relationship with God look like to you? What are your expectations for yourself, or for God? Once you answer this, then consider where these ideas came from, and are they in alignment with the Bible.

Interesting conversation as usual, Desiree, thank you for sharing your heart.

• pam says:

Horizontal and vertical thinking! That is so interesting, I have never heard that before, and I love the way of looking at things. We either look out and see things from world’s viewpoint, or we look up! That is like a lightbulb for me and it helps me to ask, am I looking out, or up? when I come to a question…Thanks! and Desiree, hang in there you are very special, and all your sharing has really endeared you to me. So keep writing, ok?! I am learning through your struggles as well.

• Desiree says:

Pam,

Thanks so much for your encouraging words. I will continue to post and stay involved. I am not giving up! I pray everyday that God reveals more to me and that I am open to receive His message. I think I am making progress, even if only a little.

• Desiree says:

Thanks so much Christine. I appreciate your wisdom and experience. I am learning a lot through you.

• Debra says:

Christine, I’m glad to know I’m not the only one that is a little confused with the way this study is organized. I have done several other studies, but none like this. Monday, I got very frustrated with what I thought the scripture was saying. I’m used to seeing the context of the scripture being used. But, this just made me dig a little deeper and figure out exactly what was being said and what it meant, which is what I need to do to learn more about God’s word. God is so good!! So I persevere. Thanks again for sharing your thoughts. Debra

Thanks for sharing this Debra. One benefit to the study is that we are having more open discussions and interaction as a group-because we’re frustrated with the workbook.

• Penny says:

These verses remind me of a visual illustration I saw one time..there are 3 envelopes…2 are Jesus and 1 is me. One of the Jesus envelopes is inserted into my envelope. Then my envelope is inserted into the 2nd Jesus envelope.
    He is in me and surrounds me.

• Charmaine says:

First of all Christine, we love you. No need to apologize to us. I hope you don’t mind but I am attaching something here that might help take some of the guilt that a lot of us may be feeling. The word of God is not for condemnation but building up and convicting. I think we are sometimes really good about beating ourselves up and the only thing this does is make us sometimes feel like giving up. That is not God’s desire for us. Jesus said take my yoke upon you and learn of me. It is through that learning that we will be victorious overcoming disciples of Christ. The following is from Daily Devotions written by Ray Steadman….

(note: we did not include the devotions here for copyright reasons. If you want a copy of this from Charmaine, please email Christine and she’ll send you the devotion from Charmaine!)

Good information Charmaine, you put much thought into the words. Thank you for sharing the devotions too!

• pam says:

Good encouraging spirit, thanks Charmaine! Especially like “it is through that learning that we will be victorious overcoming disciples of Christ”…a child stumbles many times before learning to walk, and we may stumble through this learning, but eventually we get stronger in our walk and become that victorious disciple…

On that day you will realize that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you. -Helps me understand why I “hear” the voice of God and recognize when he is speaking to me.

Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me. -My kids love me, yet often they do not obey my commands. I’m stuck on this!

He who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love him and show myself to him. -We’re the family of Christ. How does Jesus show himself to me?

This morning I feel a bit guilty. I’m a Bible study leader, and my words for this post were not entirely uplifting as I shared my personal complaints about the workbook. I’m asking forgiveness from the group and I will be more attentive to this. Leaders are positive role models and I prefer to fit that hat!

• Theresa says:

No need to apologize. I understand that as the leader you want to remain positive. I also understand your frustration. There have been a few times I have shut the book and not wanted to reopened it.

I don’t always comment but I am still here and still studying.

Lord, Please stay with Christine as she leads us through this challenging study of your word. Thank you for drawing us nearer to you Father! Remove the scales from our eyes and the roadblocks of our minds. Fill our hearts with your love and word. Amen

• pam says:

Yes Christine, it’s ok to share your frustration because it allows us to be frustrated as well….guess that’s an ok thing, cuz it sure gets great discussions going, and I think we are learning in a new way, but new is hard. Easier to have Beth spoon feed us and shareher great wisdom, but this gets us to really delve in and question, so dont’ be upset, you’re doing a great job!! I think we all need to vent our struggles and you doing that helps us.

• pam says:

Ok, this is what I was talking about yest, I was a day early! ha! He talks so much about abiding in Him and He abides in us, and here he says, that “On that day”….not sure what that day is? But, if we live here trying to listen, do our best, ask forgiveness when we fail, and keep on going in our walk, than it is all good! We are to seek Him first and foremost, and He has promised that if we do, He will make Himself known, and i think He does that through both His Spirit in us, and His Word given to us, and fellow believers sharing with us. And on that day, we will get to meet Him and His Father face to face!!!Reminds me of the song, I Can Only Imagine….at least I think that’s the title!